#1 Edited by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

I'm going to be picking up a PS4 soon, but am unsure of what game to buy that will tie me over until Destiny in September. Here are a few I'm thinking about:

1. Transistor
  2. Wolfenstein: The New Order (I've never played a Wolfenstein game and I also have a gaming PC)
  3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  4. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Some people are asking -- yes, I have PS+ and have grabbed some of the PS4 freebies from PS+ along the way, so Resogun is in my library, for example.

It's looking like Battlefield 4 is what I'll grab to play until Destiny, but I'm worried about the value in doing that when Battlefield Hardline is coming out in October.

#2 Posted by Sniper26 (42 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk: Definitely get Infamous. For the $40 it is now, it is worth it even if you are not the biggest rpgish fan. Also, for $20 Kill zone is pretty good if you like basic shooters.

#3 Edited by notdrew (87 posts) -

@sniper26: Infamous is $40? Where?

On the topic at hand: Resogun is free, so get that too. Infamous is one of the games i'm currently trying to justify purchasing, even if i never liked any of the other Infamous games, i think it would be nice to have it as a showpiece. If you like sports games, i suggest MLB 14 The Show.

#4 Posted by Glottery (1394 posts) -

Wolfenstein is great, but unless you're a fan of replaying games over and over again, I can't imagine that keeping you interested 'till September. Infamous is great as well, but also a game you can complete pretty fast.

My number one game to replay has been Resogun. Might get that for cheap by now.

#5 Posted by Sterling (2704 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk: There is no MP in Wolfenstein, in case you were thinking of getting a shooter with MP replay value. But the game is pretty game great.

#6 Posted by Sniper26 (42 posts) -

@notdrew: Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HGLLRV2?pc_redir=1402727320&robot_redir=1

#7 Posted by notdrew (87 posts) -

@sniper26: i'm biting on that price. Thanks buddy!

#8 Edited by csl316 (9476 posts) -

If you're looking for multiplayer shooters, I'd go with Battlefield since it's in stable shape and kicks ass.

Single player, Assassin's Creed will certainly keep you busy.

But some of my favorites so far have been Resogun, Wolfenstein, and Need for Speed. Infamous is cool but I didn't love it as much as the previous two. I still think Tomb Raider is the best game of available on the system, but it was my game of the year last year and I held it in very high regard already.

Injustice is a good choice, too. Honestly, you can't go wrong with anything you listed.

#9 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

Along the lines of MP replay value, how has Battlefield 4 held up on PS4?

#10 Posted by Sniper26 (42 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk: Absolutely fantastic. I usually prefer shooters on PC, but BF4 on PS4 almost made me switch over completely. If you like MP shooters, it should be an easy purchase!

#11 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (705 posts) -

Injustice is just way too much fun to pass up in my opinion, plus it's great with friends as long as you don't use someone you're really good with. If they never play the game except with you, just pick a character you don't know how to use and it's back to even playing field.

#12 Edited by Ryanmgraef (234 posts) -

Tomb raider is rad, wolfinstien is rad, people may not agree with me but that he thief was rad.

#13 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -
#14 Posted by BigSocrates (409 posts) -

I really really liked Transistor for what it's worth. But it's short and if you are looking for a game to sink hours into it's not a great choice even with all the extra stuff.

#15 Edited by RonGalaxy (3267 posts) -

Getting my ps4 tomorrow, and my definite purchases are Transistor, Infamous, Trials Fusion, and (maybe) Ass Creed 4

Games that I want to play, but will wait for a discount are Watchdogs, Ground Zeroes (hoping this gets bundled with phantom pain), The Last of Us: remastered (only if I get a deep discount for owning the ps3 version digitally), Wolfenstein, Octodad.

Games I have ps plus access to (or cross buy games) are Contrast, Resogun, Fez, Trine 2, and Dont Starve

Looking at the ps4 metacritic list, nothing else interests me besides what I've already listed.

Future releases that I'm interested in (limiting this to 2014 games only) are Metro Redux, Destiny, Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within (very skeptical about this one, but I still have some optimism), Ass Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, The Witness, and Lords of the Fallen.

Looking at that last list of games and assuming none of them get pushed to 2015, I'd say people are crazy for saying this year looks like a bust. Still a lot of stuff on the horizon.

#16 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
  • Battlefield 4, if you don't already own it on PC. Scratch that. Battlefield is better on consoles in my opinion. No cheaters. Technically level playingfield. Slightly more leeway for fun, due to slightly slower and less precise controls. Vehicular combat is better on a gamepad too, both control and balance-wise. Fixed turret turning speeds are great. All those woes you might have heard about, they are a thing of the past.
  • Preorder Destiny. Best on PSN, so you don't have to deal with Beta codes and whatnot. It will unlock the Beta Client in your download manager. If you are like me, you will want to play the Destiny Beta in July.
  • Diablo 3: The Ultimate Evil Edition. Out in August I believe, and if you've not yet played that yet, you shouldn't miss out on it.
  • The Last of Us: Remastered in July. If you havent played that yet, it's a no-brainer. One of the greatest singleplayer experiences of the past generation, and one of the most fun 3rd person online multiplayer shooters.

What I'm saying is, the future is brighter than the past, and it's starting pretty much now.

#17 Posted by cmihalop (3 posts) -

I would say Get Battlefield 4, there are better battlefields, but this one is still very enjoyable, and whilst story driven games are great, you need something to just turn on and play,
Last Of Us, Infamous and Assassins Creed all very entertaining single player experiences. Also if you alreddy have a playstation plus subscription from ps3/vita, and have been keeping up with the ps4 offerings, definately try out Stick It To The Man and Mercenary Kings, both very impressive Indie games, Merc Kings made a lot better in co-op, but still great single.

#18 Edited by Blue_Cube (174 posts) -

If you want to get a lot of mileage out of a game I highly recommend AC 4 Black Flag. For me it is by far the most enjoyable out of the entire AC series. Essentially it's two games rolled into one. The classic AC sneak up on a dude then stab him in the neck cause that's satisfying. And the second part; captaining your ship, which I think is even more enjoyable than the core gameplay.

It's difficult to recommend AC 4 over Battefield 4 for example because they are completely different experiences and it really depends on the kind of games you enjoy playing the most. I personally don't really care for online competitive shooters so games like BF4 were never an option for me.

Future releases I'm contemplating on getting are the remastered versions of GTA V and The Last of Us (eventhough I own both on PS3. Here's to hoping they give owners of the PS3 versions 50% off like they did with AC4 and other launch games), Destiny (really enjoying the alpha), and Uncharted 4 (though that's somewhere in the distant future).

Finally I can't recommend Watch Dogs to anyone. Not because it's not an enjoyable game but because it's way too flawed for a 60 dollar pricetag.

#19 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@seppli:

I have Diablo 3 on PC (bought on day one, but quickly jumped shipped like many others).

Also have The Last of Us on PS3. Probably won't pick up the remaster because there looks to be no added value (looks like it's aimed at those that never played it, which is great, but that trailer at E3 had spoilers so ???)

Looks like it's coming down to AC4 and BF4. I was a big fan of Battlefield 2 on PC and have never played an Assassin's Creed game. Does that change things?

#20 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

@seppli:

I have Diablo 3 on PC (bought on day one, but quickly jumped shipped like many others).

Also have The Last of Us on PS3. Probably won't pick up the remaster because there looks to be no added value (looks like it's aimed at those that never played it, which is great, but that trailer at E3 had spoilers so ???)

Looks like it's coming down to AC4 and BF4. I was a big fan of Battlefield 2 on PC and have never played an Assassin's Creed game. Does that change things?

The worst thing about AC4 is that it doesn't change enough from previous games. It's still a great game, but some of us are getting pretty burnt out on the gameplay. But if that would be your first game in the series, it would be a fantastic point to start. The story has almost nothing to do with previous titles, and it's a massive game with loads of content.

#21 Posted by jsnyder82 (763 posts) -

Definitely AC4 and Wolfenstein.

I would pass on Infamous, though. It's so boring and not anywhere near as good as people are making it out to be.

#22 Edited by Slurpelve (618 posts) -

Cool someone posted a thread before me.

I'm getting mine in later in July, I was curious good PSN games on the PS4 that I can get other than the Transistor or Trials Fusion?

#23 Posted by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

Well hopefully you're subscribed to PS+ but as far as the first game I would suggest Infamous. AC4 is a bit of a mess on PC but if you can get the game to run st 60fps then maybe get it on PC.

#24 Posted by cmihalop (3 posts) -

@badsniper52: I played trine 2 on ps3 and that was great, now a complete ver. is out on ps4, so that can only be better, outlast is great fun if your into horror games, might want to grab it on the pc store now if you're EU, as it is on sale for £6.79, and if you're feeling like spending 0.00 Blacklight: Retribution is a pretty solid fps, other than them and the two others i mentioned in other post (Merc Kings/Stick It To The Man), there isnt anything really worth attention, in my opinion of course.

#25 Edited by Corevi (4953 posts) -

Infamous Second Son is really cool and easily the best looking game on the system.

Transistor is a great game but pretty short, same with MGSV Ground Zeroes.

For all the people bashing Watch Dogs it's a pretty fun game and unless you expected it to revolutionize the games industry then you will be perfectly happy with it.

Trine 2 Complete Story and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate are currently free with PS+ so grab those.

#26 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk said:

@seppli:

I've heard Diablo is a much better game now, with all the patches and the expansion. It finally is what it always should have been. Many perfer the console version over the PC version, because of the direct gamepad controls, which emphasizes the *Action* in Action RPG.

I too have quit Diablo 3 quite early on. The lack of worthwhile loot made playing the game on inferno a horrible chore. Especially camping out in the auction house felt like a huge waste of my time, but it was the only way to get good enough gear. The auction house is gone, and so is pretty much everything else that sucked - and supposedly it has been replaced with really good stuff, like the adventure mode, which strips out all the narrative pretentions, and replaces it with dynamically generated lvl-appropriate quests for all of the game's maps. Endless replayability and great fucking loot.

I very much intend to get in on that. Not yet sure if I'll make time on day 1 at full price, but at the latest when it hits a sale, I'll be giving it a go again.

#27 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

@notdrew said:

@sniper26: Infamous is $40? Where?

On the topic at hand: Resogun is free, so get that too. Infamous is one of the games i'm currently trying to justify purchasing, even if i never liked any of the other Infamous games, i think it would be nice to have it as a showpiece. If you like sports games, i suggest MLB 14 The Show.

Resogun isn't free anymore, it's full price now for anyone that didn't redeem it when it was free.

#28 Posted by SomberOwl (728 posts) -

Resogun is the best game currently of the PS4.

#29 Posted by Fobwashed (2235 posts) -

Whatever you do, get Playstation Plus. When I got my PS4 near launch, that's all I had until Infamous came out and I had plenty of shit to mess around with. It's really worth the money just for the free games even though sometimes the games aren't all that great.

Like other people have mentioned, I enjoyed Infamous when it came out. I had some fun with Wolfenstein but I get sick of most shooters pretty quickly and I stopped playing that game about half way through. Transistor is goddamn awesome but I played it on PC. I have Black Flag on PC but I'm sorta over the AC thing for now... From the choices you've listed, I'd go with Transistor and on the side suggest Infamous =]

#30 Posted by Getz (3155 posts) -

Transistor is not Bastion. Infamous is pretty good, but kinda short. AC IV is a great game if you haven't played it yet you should definitely get this. Played Warframe a bit since it's free, but it gets repetitive quick. Watch Dogs is not worth the money. That's my take on the PS4 as of now.

#31 Posted by WMoyer83 (645 posts) -

RAYMAN LEGENDS

INFAMOUS SECOND SUN

NBA 2K14