How are your analog sticks holding up? (DualShock 4)

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I got my PS4 a week ago, and while I'm still using my PS3 most of the time I've logged at least 3 or 4 hours of NBA 2K14, an hour of Resogun and goofed around in the store for a minute. It was only one or two days over that first weekend before I noticed my left thumb getting noticeably fatigued, almost like I was rubbing it too fast on a carpet or rug and getting a burn. So I look down and notice there are little flakes of rubber all over my controller and super small but noticeable scar-like mark. It hasn't gotten worse since, but just today I booked another 30-ish minutes of Resogun and I started making a rubber-flake mess all over again.

So I look around and, yes, it does seem to be a problem; 37.5% of 6,000 pollsters said so. So I'm curious, how're the Giantbomb community's thumbsticks doing, and have you had to deal with Amazon/Sony/other about the issue? I wouldn't mind sending it in right now since inFamous is the first game that's going to bring serious run to the console, but if it can stop getting worse I'm fine with it not being perfect, also. That screenshot at the top of the linked page sure looks dreadful, though.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By strainedeyes

My two are doing fine, though they haven't been worked all too hard, but yeah it is a problem. From what I have heard both Amazon and Sony are really good about replacing them.

My two DS4s have a noticeable difference in texture between the sticks. One has a smooth material on them and one has a rougher material. I am fully prepared for one of them will probably start peeling.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

Absolutely flawless despite triple digit hours working hard sweat into the right stick in under a few weeks time (War Thunder joypad + mouse). As always, contact Sony in case of issues. Even the sticky R1/L1 issue. And forget about that 37.5% number, that's kinda busted (the poll and how those kind of polls work - of course they attract those who have the problem far more than those who don't).

Europe / November 29th / Made in China PS4 bundled / CUH-ZCT1E : 21102380101861 / No analogue stick problems, slightly sticking R1 that was easily solved

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Launch day PS4, use the controller for everything now, PS3, PS4 and PC. No problems with the sticks, just wish it had a longer battery life.

Sounds like you want to get in touch with Sony asap duder!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My controller's still like new, but I haven't exactly been playing my PS4 every day or anything either. My PS4's starting to get some regular use between this month and next, though, so if there's an issue with my controllers I'll probably know about it soon.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Launch PS4 and both my controllers still look brand new. I play it often too. Maybe some people have sweaty hands.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By thelastgunslinger

Mine are doing just fine. I've beaten Killzone, 100%'ed Lego Marvel, and played a bit of Outlast. Maybe 40-50 hours of use since I got the system?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

I've only had my PS4 for about 25 days so I can't really comment but I will so ha! My sticks are still fine. I check them every so often because I heard of this problem like last month. Hopefully mine stays good forever. I'll point out that I have used my Dualshock for 30+ hours.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Mine are fine, but I switch between them every couple of days, to try to keep the wear and tear spread out between the two. But that probably just means they'll both wear out at the same time though. Huh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine are completely fine, but I haven't even had it a month yet and haven't used it all that much so maybe it'll get messed once I start using it more. I don't know, I've never had that issue with controllers.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using them daily and they are fine just as if they were new. I heard the reports of the rubber edges tearing off but mine are fine. I don't have a fighting game that may stress the sticks more to truly put them to the test.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The bottom of my left stick is noticeably worn. Which, is to be expected I suppose.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Mine are fine, but I switch between them every couple of days, to try to keep the wear and tear spread out between the two. But that probably just means they'll both wear out at the same time though. Huh.

And what about traditions? Shitty controller goes to player two, everyone knows that!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've played roughly 20 hours of ACIV, 10-15 hours of Tomb Raider, about 5 hours of Lego, an hour of Knack and a few hours of Need for Speed and both my controllers are still in tip top shape. I've heard of this problem, but haven't experienced it yet. Hopefully I won't at all.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My analog sticks are holding up my thumbs........

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

Thanks to being into Battlefield 4, I've been playing my PS4 pretty much every day since I got it. I'd say between Battlefield 4, and all the other games I've got (Killzone, NfS Rivals, Don't Starve, Outlast), I've likely clocked in around 400 hours of playtime on my PS4.

I've got two DS4's, which I alternate when they run out of juice. My analogsticks are as fine as they were on day 1. One of the gamepads had some kind of odd *clicky* spot in the hardshell, but it has since settled. Guess Foxconn or whoever had some growing pains on their production line, when so many people have issues (albeit I'd discount roughly 10% of those votes for being fanboys trolling the internet). 25% is still quite a high failure rate though. Or whatever the true number is. Likely much fewer than that.

This is the kind of thing you see in a first run, but never again later. Sucks for those who draw the short straw, though Sony will definitely replace those, I bet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I took a quick estimate of how much I have used my controller...about 100+ hours and it still looks brand new except form smuges. I'm sorry, I cannot conceive of how people are taking the rubber off the analaogus sticks unless they sweat 60% mineral salts, uric acid, urea, ammonia, and lactic acid.

I bet it does come down to that, if you sweat a lot (or piss on your hands...you nasty weirdo) you are putting what amounts to mild acid on the rubber. Sony might have to reformulate the mix to make it more resistant. But, really folks if the rubber is coming off you controller, you're admitting you piss out of your skin like some twisted freak.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I took a quick estimate of how much I have used my controller...about 100+ hours and it still looks brand new except form smuges. I'm sorry, I cannot conceive of how people are taking the rubber off the analaogus sticks unless they sweat 60% mineral salts, uric acid, urea, ammonia, and lactic acid.

I bet it does come down to that, if you sweat a lot (or piss on your hands...you nasty weirdo) you are putting what amounts to mild acid on the rubber. Sony might have to reformulate the mix to make it more resistant. But, really folks if the rubber is coming off you controller, you're admitting you piss out of your skin like some twisted freak.

I think it's just a material failure in a single batch of contollers. I can hardly imagine it's down to Sony underestimating the goatlike sweatglands of some people.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pr1mus said:
@mooseymcman said:

And what about traditions? Shitty controller goes to player two, everyone knows that!

I'll worry about that during the two or three times I have two people using the thing at once during the lifetime of the machine.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazorRamen

The left stick on the controller that came with my console is very worn, there' s a small tear in it and the rubber is very thin. The 2nd controller I picked up a couple months after launch is also noticeably starting to wear. The right sticks on both seem pretty much good as new.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've put over a 100 hours on mine and haven't noticed any problems.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* well I called it in and it's not a very convenient process. I have to find my own shipping materials and prepare it all myself. I was really hoping it'd be an RMA sort of situation like Apple does where they'd send me the shipping materials. I need to find a printer too...

damn you early adoption *shakes fist*

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine's still feel smooth and sexy, they give me that nice good reflex action.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use mine on my PC all the time, right now the sticks and the controller in general are holding up great.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No problems currently but haven't really put that much abuse on the controller yet. Love it just wish the DS4 to PC worked for me. Couldn't get it to work correctly.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rubber on my left stick is flaking away fast. Being a dad of three young kids, I don't really get to play all that much, so it isn't holding up too well.

As for the sweat theory, my original 7 year old PS3 controller is still as new, as is my 2 year old 360 controller, so there does seem to be something wrong wight eh rubber on some PS4 controllers.

I still love my PS4, though.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine for me so far, although I think the sticks are a little loose now. Maybe it's because I'm used to the tighter sticks now as opposed to the DS3 or maybe it's because I've been using it for a quite a bit, either way it doesn't feel quite as tight as I remembered.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Vonocourt

My controller seems fine, but then again, would be surprised if its seen north of fifty hours of use since I got it in November.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the rubber is getting pretty worn down on my left stick.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glots

No problems over here so far. Then again, I haven't played it 24/7 since those first few weeks with Resogun.

mr187uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My left stick is starting to peel. Anyone called Sony for a replacement, I may.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nodima

@mr187uk: like I said above, I did and unfortunately shipping the original unit is all on you, and they said the turnaround time is 7-10 days from the time they receive the package, meaning it could take a month to get a replacement back. I have 30 days to respond to my service request but since the first week it's sort of calmed down so I'm thinking I might just wait it out and buy another one down the road before filling out another service request.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only you guys had tried the kontrol freek CQC's. I can't go back. No fucking way.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good guy at my shop told me that his customers with busted rubber issues are the ones who play hard with their thumbs jammed down into the sticks, with fingernails poking into and cutting it.

How..

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Khronikos

They aren't. The material they use is just bad. Plain and simple. The only people who may not have this are casuals who grip the controller very lightly. Otherwise, after 4 months and addiction to FF14 on PC my left one is waxy, soft, and totally cracked. Still useable I guess. And no I don't use my finger nails. Even when you clean these pads the cloth you use will pull on them. They are super thing and very very feeble.

And again to combat these crazy naysayers the material is dogshit anyway even when new. It feels gross imo. My new DS3 feels so much better on the thumbsticks. I refuse to buy another one of these until they fix them.

They are just way too soft in the material for the sticks.

My HONEST suggestion is to NOT call Sony unless you can't even use your controller. Once they run through these shitty rubberish pads one would hope they find a new material for the sticks. I don't even want a new DS4 because the same thing is going to happen.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had my ps4 since launch, play it nearly everyday...not one sense of an issue. It really has to be how some people hold the controller and that combined with the type of rubber used causes this issue.

I personally really like the rubber and don't grip it like a freak so its still like brand new.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was wicked skeptical on the appearance of those original stick degradation reports. But sure enough my left stick has become noticeably smoother and ever so slightly less contoured than the right. Nowhere near the apocalyptic exploding rubber I've seen online but it's definitely an issue.

Weird thing is I just don't care. That controller feels so good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sticks (mainly the left one) started wearing away with regular use (I don't have sweaty hands and I haven't used my PS4 a lot). After two months, the rubber on the left stick tore off to reveal the hard plastic under it. I sent Amazon an email (I purchased my PS4 through them) and they refunded me $60 the same day with no questions asked. I didn't buy a controller since there's definitely a problem with some of them. Instead, I got these: ORB Controller Thumb Grips 4-Pack (PS4) They are definitely an upgrade, even if your sticks haven't torn apart yet. They fit tight (feels stock, doesn't slide or twist), and they provide tons of grip. It includes two concave grips and two convex bumpy grips. I spent $8, and it shipped for free from UK to US (took almost 3 weeks to arrive though). The rubber on the replacement grips is holding up flawlessly after a lot of use.

Contacting Sony about the issue, they told me to ship the controller in at my own cost and wait 4-6 weeks (while having no controller) to find out whether or not they are willing to replace it. Amazon had $60 back on my debit card after 6 hours and two emails. Amazon gave me a choice between replacing the whole PS4, sending in the controller for replacement, or a $60 refund (while keeping the controller). Suck it, Sony. There is definitely an issue with at least some of these controllers. I've had multiple controllers last 6+ years with zero issues, and with DS4 I only got 2 months of light use before the rubber ripped off.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sticks (mainly the left one) started wearing away with regular use (I don't have sweaty hands and I haven't used my PS4 a lot). After two months, the rubber on the left stick tore off to reveal the hard plastic under it. I sent Amazon an email (I purchased my PS4 through them) and they refunded me $60 the same day with no questions asked. I didn't buy a controller since there's definitely a problem with some of them. Instead, I got these: ORB Controller Thumb Grips 4-Pack (PS4) They are definitely an upgrade, even if your sticks haven't torn apart yet. They fit tight (feels stock, doesn't slide or twist), and they provide tons of grip. It includes two concave grips and two convex bumpy grips. I spent $8, and it shipped for free from UK to US (took almost 3 weeks to arrive though). The rubber on the replacement grips is holding up flawlessly after a lot of use.

Contacting Sony about the issue, they told me to ship the controller in at my own cost and wait 4-6 weeks (while having no controller) to find out whether or not they are willing to replace it. Amazon had $60 back on my debit card after 6 hours and two emails. Amazon gave me a choice between replacing the whole PS4, sending in the controller for replacement, or a $60 refund (while keeping the controller). Suck it, Sony. There is definitely an issue with at least some of these controllers. I've had multiple controllers last 6+ years with zero issues, and with DS4 I only got 2 months of light use before the rubber ripped off.

Wow, thanks for the hot tip. I still haven't sent mine in since after the initial discomfort, I actually don't notice anything wrong with it anymore even though, like you, I have a seam that reveals the hard plastic (and after just two weeks, most of it spent on the FF14 beta!). I'll definitely contact Amazon tomorrow and see if I can't get a more convenient offer from them; I honestly hadn't even thought of that as an option (I only order things through Amazon once or twice a year, if that).

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good, I guess. Though I haven't played it all that much.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

No problems and I've been playing Warframe religiously

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For anyone else who ordered through Amazon, I received my $60 credit less than 10 minutes after I shot them an email. Now I'm trying to decide what to spend it on, again I'm not sure I actually need a new controller even though it looks lame...but their roster of PS4 digital codes is pretty weak, so I might just grab South Park.