#1 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (84 posts) -

To be honest i knew launch was going to be mediocre but so far the only game that has been able to keep me entertained for a while has been resogun, what other game do you guys think i should get?

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Scrambled.

#4 Posted by kurtkless (89 posts) -

Not as crazy about the ps+ games as everyone else is. Killzone has been underwhelming but pretty. AC4 is only marginally better than the PS3... I probably would be way more into this if I had not played the first few hours on PS3. So far, the best has been NFS. That game was very hard to find in my area (Atlanta), but its been the most fun I've had with the system. Going to try some BF4 later today.

#5 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

I avoided the old generation versions of AC4 and have to say I'm loving it on the PS4.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2575 posts) -

Need for Speed seems to be the star to me.

#7 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Resogun is a lot of fun. Killzone is... okay so far.

#8 Posted by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

So Far, I've really enjoyed the ones I've torn into.

Need for Speed seems like the perfect hybrid of Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted (The original, non Criterion version), and Burnout Paradise. The cop career feels like a combination of Burnout Paradise and Hot Pursuit (similar to BP due to you unlocking new cars as you complete challenges and rank up. Similar to HP because YOU ARE THE LAW.) The racer career feels very much like Most Wanted (buying new cars, upgrading them with cash/points, etc). I think Ghost Games has a winner on their hands here.

Resogun definitely has my attention, I had a ton of fun with it, just as I did with Geometry Wars and Super Stardust

Killzone seems good but not great, which is better than I can say for my feelings towards KZ 1, 2 or 3. The multiplayer seems to be quite good.

I'm about to pop in AC4 now. (It's real weird that both it and COD:G got pushed out without their full "final" resolutions for the PS4 versions, but are getting patched to it shortly. This makes me wonder if most of the dev time was spent on optimizing for the XBO version to get it up to par, and the patches are just optimization for the PS4 versions.)

I'm actually waiting to try out Knack until my wife gets home, as we'll probably play through it together.

Also, The playroom is hilarious.

#9 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@eujin said:

So Far, I've really enjoyed the ones I've torn into.

Need for Speed seems like the perfect hybrid of Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted (The original, non Criterion version), and Burnout Paradise. The cop career feels like a combination of Burnout Paradise and Hot Pursuit (similar to BP due to you unlocking new cars as you complete challenges and rank up. Similar to HP because YOU ARE THE LAW.) The racer career feels very much like Most Wanted (buying new cars, upgrading them with cash/points, etc). I think Ghost Games has a winner on their hands here.

Resogun definitely has my attention, I had a ton of fun with it, just as I did with Geometry Wars and Super Stardust

Killzone seems good but not great, which is better than I can say for my feelings towards KZ 1, 2 or 3. The multiplayer seems to be quite good.

I'm about to pop in AC4 now. (It's real weird that both it and COD:G got pushed out without their full "final" resolutions for the PS4 versions, but are getting patched to it shortly. This makes me wonder if most of the dev time was spent on optimizing for the XBO version to get it up to par, and the patches are just optimization for the PS4 versions.)

I'm actually waiting to try out Knack until my wife gets home, as we'll probably play through it together.

Also, The playroom is hilarious.

How's the open world in the new NFS?

#10 Posted by spraynardtatum (2606 posts) -

I've been having a lot of fun with all of them. Killzone is gorgeous and fun so far, Battlefield 4 is broken but exciting when the duct tape holds, and Resogun is my jam. Everything looks so pretty and the whole experience has been smooth for me regarding the ps4. Obviously there are weird issues here and there (Battlefield 4) but the network has been strong and I haven't felt like it was hindering my experience. Smooth launch and really powerful console.

I'm excited for next gen to begin. The games are hitting the right spot for me so far.

#11 Edited by punisherkaos (272 posts) -

Pretty mediocore so far but iv'e only really played killzone cause battlefeild has been unplayable for me so far. Tho im waiting for the 1080p patch for assassins creed 4 till i play it and im in the process of installing need for speed rivals now.

#12 Posted by Asurastrike (2162 posts) -

I've been playing Battlefield 4 the last 2 days. It's awesome.

#13 Posted by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

@barrock: Pretty big. Seems like there's a decent number of shortcuts that would benefit you to learn (They're not highlighted like Burnout Paradise with giant yellow flashing signs). As a cop you'll run into AI racers or other players some times, and if you hit them with an attack or nudge them, it'll automatically put you into pursuit mode. If another cop player is already chasing said AI/Player, you'll join their pursuit.

#14 Edited by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I enjoyed almost all the ones I've played for the most part. Let's start with killzone

Killzone has been pretty good so far I think. It looks really unbelievable and while the voice acting isn't on par, I like the setup for the story so far. Shooting feels good and the owl powers are pretty unique. Multiplayer feels good as well and runs buttery smooth, although at the moment I think I'd say I enjoyed KZ3 multiplayer more. But I need to put more time into it but for I can say for sure.

NBA 2k14: man.... MAN does this game look incredible, really captures the feel of a true nba game. Players look incredibly real and the commentary is really well done. The my career is absolutely hilarious in how cheesy it is but that doesn't mean it isn't fun, in fact it's a ton of fun. I would really recommend this to anyone on the fence.

Battlefield 4: I didn't play much, didn't need too. This is battlefield and even though I couldn't get into a 64 player game, the 32 player matches captured the chaos plenty. Now I've only played 3 on pc but it seems comparable and it runs extremely smooth. As for the single player... Uh I didn't try it.

NFS:Rivals: again, really impressed by how it looks/runs. I gotta say though, I'm really hit or miss on the open world all drives stuff. On one hand, it's super cool you can be doing your own thing, and then a dude just speeds by you and you can race. Just knowing that there are other players doing their thing and you can see them is neat. On the downside, sometimes it just wanna race with other people or run from player cops and not ai. Since their is no lobby to set this up you just have to rely that not everyone are racers or cops in your game. On top of this, instead of having 4 vs 4 (or is it 3v3?) racers and cops, you're lucky to have 4 people total competing. I'm still having a good time with it but I think the next NFS has a chance to fix these issues and knock it outta the park.

Assassins creed 4: haven't messed with at all on ps3, just touched it a tiny bit on ps4. Looks pretty good, has a nice frame rate and good draw distance

Madden: similar to the product released earlier this year but looks slightly better. Them crowds look great though!! And to be fair, some of the player animation looks better, but it holds nothing to a sports game like NBA.

Contrast: haven't touched this one yet honestly, not sure if I will for awhile

Resogun: looks great, plays great. If you've seen the quick look there isn't much more to add. I think the world looks really cool as it turns to little pieces.

So ya, I've been really. Enjoying the ps4, excited to see what the future holds.

#15 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Black Flag looks pretty and is fun.

Shadow Fall looks very pretty and is a shooter. It is cool that there are multiple paths through the areas and they don't leave a bread crumb trail to follow. There is some incentive to go looking for the other paths too for tactical advantages, security guns, and various collectibles. Multiplayer is very good.

Resogun is awesome. I am seriously hooked on it. It looks great and plays great. This is my next geometry wars. I'll have to get platinum I can feel it.

Knack is better than I expected. It has some difficulty to it, which was by biggest worry. I didn't want a platformer for kids that I just mindlessly mashed X to get through. I think it's mostly been sold a little short by people who may have been a little frustrated trying to get through it on a deadline. But, it's really not a great game either.

Warframe is great. Online co-op that feels like the ME3 co-op after you bust through the initial zones.

DC Universe is pretty good. I loved City of Heroes so I guess this is the next best thing to that.

Haven't played Contrast. Looks annoying.

Blacklight Retribution servers seem to be 100% busted all day, every day. Haven't been able to play yet.

#16 Posted by squiDc00kiE (350 posts) -

I've been loving Knack despite the press. It really speaks to the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro generation of kids. I.E. Me. NFS Rivals has some amazing ideas that they execute somewhat disappointingly but it's still fun. I find Killzone's multiplayer to be pretty fun, despite not having very much fun with shooters in the last few years.

#18 Edited by handlas (2659 posts) -

@tourgen said:

Blacklight Retribution servers seem to be 100% busted all day, every day. Haven't been able to play yet.

Really? I got into the first game I tried. I played it on PC... it's just that of course...so... I like it. On the other hand, been having a lot of issues getting into BF4 MP games.

Launch line-up is fine to me if you don't have the games already. Battlefield 4 MP is great when i get in. Runs smooth and looks nice. Killzone is okay. Warframe is fun... played it on PC and enjoyed it as well. Haven't played Resogun yet. NFS Rivals looks great; will pick that up next.

Don't get the hating on the launch line-up. Feels like there is quite a lot of quality games to play. Especially considering 3 of the above mentioned games are free with Plus (essentially free in general since a Plus trial is included with the console I believe).

#19 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

The only games I have put any decent amount of time into are Resogun and NFS and they are both great!

#20 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

Killzone is great, I was a fan of 2&3 so I see it as an improvement.

AC4 I haven't put a lot of time into yet but seems cool. An AC that ditches any pretense of caring and just does it's own thing is good.

CoD Ghosts is what I'm dumping most of my time into now that it was patched to fix the online error. I have seen not one single framerate drop in the game. After a few hours of playtime its been rock solid. All of these early reviews are misleading if people are going to whine FPS>Resolution. Its not an issue at all.

And good lord is Resogun good. PS4's Geometry Wars or Super Stardust (oddly enough) for sure. Early downloadable title that should be stealing the limelight.

Contrast I found kind of strange and not my thing. Its free so hey no biggie, it can sit there for a rainy day down the road for a second look.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (23903 posts) -

Well, Resogun is fun.

#22 Edited by juanvaldes (181 posts) -

@irvandus said:

I avoided the old generation versions of AC4 and have to say I'm loving it on the PS4.

Same. When Watch_Dogs got pushed back I decided to give the AC series another go.

Once I've gotten my fill of AC4, I'll redeem my PS+ voucher and give Resogun & Contrast a try.

Beyond that WatchDogs & InFamous were my big "launch" titles.

#23 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I have pretty much all the launch titles. I have been enjoying NFS Rivals the most but also like Resogun and Battlefield 4...when it works.

#24 Edited by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

I'll tell you what, that free Warframe game is a ton of fun. A pleasant surprise.

#25 Posted by TurboMan (7400 posts) -

Playing Resogun, which is amazing and fun, can't wait to perfect it and play for high scores

Going through Flower again, no clue what they've done to the game, but it look GORGEOUS still.

Sound Shapes is still fun, secretly the best use to the light bar on the controller

Killzone is disappointing. I've never cared for the single player, but the multiplayer isn't doing it for me either

Haven't gone through all the F2P stuff yet, but Warframe is FUN.

Contrast is interesting but fucking awful, don't bother.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my launch, will probably get 2k14 by the end of the year

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

@yakov456: hmm I may need to download that and try it out. Haven't tried any of the F2P games yet

I'm glad to hear people are enjoying Knack. I don't have it myself but from what I saw it feel like it got slammed a lot harder than it deserved too, but again I haven't played it. Seems like something I'll pick up early next year when it's cheaper

#27 Posted by randomfella21 (60 posts) -

@jeanespinosa21: Resogun is awesome. I waited to play AC4 until PS4 came out and I'm really digging it so far, coming from a dude that did NOT like AC3. Also Killzone is surprisingly enjoyable so far in spite of the average reviews, really like Killzone multiplayer.

#28 Edited by Chango (502 posts) -

I bought Need For Speed. I'm early in, but I'm really enjoying it. Resogun is fantastic as well.

#29 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (84 posts) -

@sackmanjones: i think maybe by next summer it might be on ps+ as a free game. It would be a smart move to get the game in more peoples houses

#30 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Killzone - Very pretty, like... surprised more people aren't talking about how pretty it is. I guess because of high-end PC stuff and whatever. Gameplay wise I loved how open the first real level was, more like Far Cry than Killzone 2. Eager to play more. Sci-fi does a lot for me, so even if gameplay is average I might like the game a lot.

Knack - Fun! Much better than I thought it would be based on reviews, mainly because the combat is challenging and engaging. Takes real patience and timing to succeed. Graphics have that neat Pixar movie look, and are super crisp. That said I don't really think I could classify the game as above average, just a fun little thing.

AC4 - Didn't play on last-gen, looks nice but obviously an improved port. Kind of bored of this series but I'll play it for a while and see what happens.

Battlefield 4 - Had to get this in a bundle to get the system. Looks amazing, but not really my kind of game.

Resogun - Not my kind of thing really but super interesting to look at.

Contrast - Framerate issues in the city areas? On new hardware? Ugh.

#31 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1354 posts) -

Killzone Shadow Fall: I really like the pace of the multiplayer, if i didn't have Battlefield 4 i would play a ton more of it. The single player is alright so far.

Knack: Underwhelmed but im not disliking my time with it, wish there was platforming too in instead of just brawling. I like the artstyle and it looks nice. Also it works really good on the Vita.

Assassins Creed 4: Only an hour in and it really is a lot better than AC3. The character already seems better and the world looks gorgeous.

Resogun: Good, really good. It looks amazing, the Quicklook really doesn't do its justice. All those voxels exploding is great.

F2P Games

Warframe: Seems neat but i keep dying because i keep jumping around and sliding like an idiot.

Blacklight: Got a few games in before it went to hell and i like it enough. Feels like a shooter.

DC Universe Online: First MMOish game i ever played, and so far its alright even if the tutorial level was a bit mindless tapping square. I wonder how well it will work on Vita.

#32 Posted by Gfeltner78 (20 posts) -

I have enjoyed it so far. Resogun is a lot of fun and a great show piece for the system. Really am impressed with FIFA. Great pace to the game, great player animations, and that crowd is rad. AC4 is fun (and I did not like the other AC games). Looking forward to the patch for the anti-aliasing more than the extra Ps.

Jury is still out on DCUO. Thought the first level/tutorial was pretty dumb, but want to try some actual missions before I render judgement.

Still have not played: Killzone, Contrast

Did not like the AR games. Not even a fun demo to be honest. Kids liked it though and that is why we have the camera so it is all good.

#33 Posted by Hailinel (23903 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Well, Resogun is fun.

Let me add to this. I like Resogun a lot. It's an intense and challenging game that's good for pick-up-and-play sessions. A nice time waster.

I also bought Flower, which I had never played before, and it's...interesting. There's a game in there, though not a complex one. But it feels like it was ported to PS4 mainly to demo the DualShock 4's motion controls.

And then there's Contrast, which, like Resogun, I got for free with PlayStation Plus. I encountered a game-breaking bug within twenty minutes that forced me to quit out. That does not bode well for this game.

#34 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I picked up Killzone Shadowfall, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and Call of Duty Ghosts. AC is probably the best of that group in terms of single player gaming (like it was made to be fun to play, as a rather dramatic series shake up). And ghosts has been good for the casual/social side (you get into matches quickly, and there is a fantastic clarity to the image quality that I prefer over games that have superior fidelity / more effects).

Killzone's first hour is among the worst game play I've experienced. Combat becomes more interesting though, so if you are really into FPS campaigns it eventually leads into some Crysis (2 rather than 1) type scenarios.

Somehow I've never substantially played a Call of Duty game before (kind of skipped online shooters after the Quake II time period), so that might be part of why it seems fresh an interesting to me.

#35 Posted by NoodleUnit (78 posts) -

I bought Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV with mine. BF4 is broken (Conquest servers unplayable due to connection issues, corrupt save files, constant crashes on bootup), and AC4 is slow to start, but growing on me. Amusingly enough, the two games I'm enjoying the most were free: Resogun and Warframe. Think I may pick up Killzone if the BF4 nonsense persists.

#36 Posted by Tyrrael (153 posts) -

Killzone is good, aside from the crashes. Resogun would be fun if it weren't for the fact that I went in totally blind and had no idea what I was supposed to do, and the game does an extremely poor job of communicating the core mechanics with you. I watched the quicklook and some other videos and will probably have more fun with it now, but before, just wow, how about a 1 minute tutorial so I know what to do. It would have been much more fun to start with.

#37 Posted by Tesla (1908 posts) -

Resogun is an absolute blast, I'm starting to get into that zen-like state on some runs that all good bullet hell type games induce at one point or another. Contrast is very average. I like a lot of the music and style of the game but the gameplay and basics of character movement and environment interaction feels rudimentary at best.

I downloaded BF4 last night just to have something a bit more "next gen" and that whole experience so far has been pretty neat. The download was quicker than I expected given the network load on launch weekend, and being able to play a bit of the single player while the rest of the game installed was cool. Installation took a little too long for me to say it was totally seamless, but it wasn't bad.

In the past I've played all the Battlefield games on PC with the exception of Bad Company 2(360), so I'm familiar with how that experience can vary depending on the machine you're using. BF4 looks better and runs smoother on PS4 than BF3 does on my PC, so I'm happy. I haven't experienced any of the technical issues that others have had...yet.