• 69 results
II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By II_SpadeX_II

In an interview with Eurogamer, Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Fergal Gara revealed that Killzone Shadow Fall will have a size of more than 50 GB, so it’ll take a while to download it from the PSN – although fortunately, with the “Play as you Download” functionality, players won’t have to wait before enjoying the game.

There are big innovations in the PS4 to make it more attractive and more easy gamer wise to want to download. The Play as you Download functionality, for example, means you don’t need the whole file before you go. This is a little bit counterbalanced by the fact the files themselves are getting bloody big. Killzone: Shadow Fall is an uber file – I think it’s cracking on for 50GB. It looks it, too, when you see it.

It is still a relatively tedious process. We’ve done a lot of work on pre-delivering files. It’s not perfect. It’s not seamless. The file version of the game versus the disc version of the game maybe needs to go through additional QA and additional testing. Some of the problems that have occurred have occurred on older machines, which of course when you go into the next-generation you at least get to reset and start again and everything’s the same age and new. That helps.

But it’s a major area of focus. It’s a major area of investment. The network will perform better on multiple levels, because it becomes not just a sales or gaming delivery but increasingly it becomes a social network. So it’s got to be a compelling experience on multiple levels. It’s going to be for no lack of investment, for no lack of effort and no lack of intention that things might fall a bit short. But we’re definitely moving in the right direction, and I’m confident when step on and understand its importance.

Still, that might be an issue for some users who have a monthly cap. Regardless, as you can read above Gara reiterated that Sony is committed to improving the quality of the PlayStation Network as a whole.

MAIN ARTICLE (Worlds Factory): http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/09/30/killzone-shadow-fall-file-size-50-gb

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I really want to go all digital for the next-gen, but my ISP just introduced a bandwidth cap like last week. With file sizes like this, I don't know if I can manage with such big files. Also, I dunno if I trust Sony to boost the DL speeds as much as would be necessary for files like that.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really want to go all digital for the next-gen, but my ISP just introduced a bandwidth cap like last week. With file sizes like this, I don't know if I can manage with such big files. Also, I dunno if I trust Sony to boost the DL speeds as much as would be necessary for files like that.

Yeah...sigh.... I want to go all digital so damn bad but I'm capped at 90gigs. That's more than enough for right now but 50 gigs? Shit, anything over 10 really makes me think twice about downloading.

BLARGGASDLKGJASDG

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigjeffrey

Disk it is, fuck can't imagine what actual games sizes are, witcher 3 = 75gb

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 ll_Exile_ll  Online

Man, that really sucks. Luckily there is stiff competition between Verizon and Comcast in my area (so much so that you can basically call and threaten to switch and they'll throw some sort promotion at you), so neither has a data cap. I can't imagine having to deal with a data cap, between everyone in my house we probably exceed 300GB a month on average, sometimes far more than that.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Are they using dual layered blu rays?

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By II_SpadeX_II
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

I'm spoiled with no cap. I'm terrified to move and find out they have some sort of crazy bandwidth limit.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@ll_exile_ll said:

@wemibelec90 said:

Man, that really sucks. Luckily there is stiff competition between Verizon and Comcast in my area (so much so that you can basically call and threaten to switch and they'll throw some sort promotion at you), so neither has a data cap. I can't imagine having to deal with a data cap, between everyone in my house we probably exceed 300GB a month on average, sometimes far more than that.

I don't have any other choices if I want high-speed Internet in my area. I never would have expected a cap to be something my ISP provided, especially because of the relatively rural area I live in. For the time being, it really isn't much of an issue, but I'm not sure how much of a headache it will be in the near future with game sizes skyrocketing.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nekroskop

Cool. If they fixed their capped download speeds I can hopefully put this 100mbit line to good use. 3MB/s simply isn't fast enough, Sony.

Also: ISPs still have bandwidth caps. What is this. 2003?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

All hail the all-digital future and the realities of it sucking ass!

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cool. If they fixed their capped download speeds I can hopefully put this 100mbit line to good use. 3MB/s simply isn't fast enough, Sony.

It is in Canada Apparently. I won't be going digital that's for damn sure.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

All hail the all-digital future and the realities of it sucking ass!

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By mrcraggle

I wouldn't have expected less tbh. Look at the digital release of Uncharted 3; It easily takes up over 30 gigs of space but now games will be dealing with much finer detail with higher polygon models and higher resolution textures.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So the HDD aren't going to be big enough? Awesome. Can't wait to spend more money on a new HDD...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But guys, think of the convenience.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrcraggle

Why is anyone even considering buying digital anyway? Sony's store price are a huge rip off especially when it comes to EA titles. I can buy Fifa 2014 for £60 on the store or £40 on a disc. Hmmmm.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Syed117

That size is ridiculous, but I'm fortunate enough to have a very fast connection and no limit on usage.

Steam is the fastest, XBL is almost as fast, but PSN is a joke in terms of download speeds. The faster your connection, the bigger the difference.

It doesn't matter how big the games are if Sony can't make download speeds faster. That will be much more important than the size of the games.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is anyone even considering buying digital anyway? Sony's store price are a huge rip off especially when it comes to EA titles. I can buy Fifa 2014 for £60 on the store or £40 on a disc. Hmmmm.

Yeah... Digital releses are always 10-30€ more on PSN and have no resell value. How convenient!

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

High quality audio files guys, the future is here!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, Bioshock Infinite is something like 25 GB. With all of the DLC it could easily break 30GB. Acting shocked at the size of games is laughable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever... I will probably almost never buy a game digitally anyways. I like physically owning my games despite the fact that they may take up some space.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@wemibelec90 said:

I assume they'll use the same infrastructure that Planetside 2 uses which has good speeds.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: if you decide to use an ISP with caps deal with it, buy a disc, or change your ISP.

theninjamonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see the need for digital besides the fact that a digital copy only breaks when your hard drive does, and even then you can restore it, while if you break a disc, you're out of luck unless you've bought the disc protection. My internet is too damn slow to download a 50gb game, regardless of networks caps or things like that. I'll just get discs and install them on the hard-drive, which takes a very shortened amount of time.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@wemibelec90: if you decide to use an ISP with caps deal with it, buy a disc, or change your ISP.

Of course, once you account for your false assumption that he even has a choice in ISPs, your comment looks pretty silly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

My dream of an all digital future continues to seem like nothing more than a fantasy due to these massive downloads.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're implying that people have the choice.

I live in an area where all my ISP choices have bandwidth caps.

Stop being an ignorant asshole.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MideonNViscera

@ezakael said:

@nekroskop said:

It is in Canada Apparently. I won't be going digital that's for damn sure.

Do you have Bell Fiber Op in your area? They never capped me for that in NS and we took massive advantage of it.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No Caption Provided

I know these are averages and there are faster connections available but still if this is the average speed most people aren't in a position where they can easily download 50gb fast.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@nictel said:
No Caption Provided

I know these are averages and there are faster connections available but still if this is the average speed most people aren't in a position where they can easily download 50gb fast.

Hey look! The UK has worse internet than Latvia. That's impressive.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Venatio

Man, having an ISP with a cap would suck, I don't think that's a thing here in Sweden, correct me if I'm wrong

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By McShank

I have a 500gb limit at 30mbs and then every 25gb I go over, its only an additional 5$.. Happens all the time and I honestly dont see much problem as the cap has gone up from 300 2 years ago and will most likely go up again as fiberoptic is starting to be everywhere. i will still buy physical and only buy digital if its pc OR ps1/2 classics.. + way of samurai as the new one is digital only in the us.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job most of Sony's business comes from countries without 90s ass internet.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@nictel said:
No Caption Provided

I dunno where they got their figures from, but they're probably not very good. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/

UK Average is 14.7Mb/s

UK average is 14.7, says UK based company with UK based interests. All the internet in the UK I have used has been god awfully slow. To be honest I don't trust any of these figures because the sample sizes are pathetic. Doesn't speedtest.net aggregate scores? They're the only people with enough data to provide any meaningful results.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlexW00d

@chavtheworld said:

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@nictel said:
No Caption Provided

I dunno where they got their figures from, but they're probably not very good. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/

UK Average is 14.7Mb/s

UK average is 14.7, says UK based company with UK based interests. All the internet in the UK I have used has been god awfully slow. To be honest I don't trust any of these figures because the sample sizes are pathetic. Doesn't speedtest.net aggregate scores? They're the only people with enough data to provide any meaningful results.

Well if we're basing it on our own internet usage then the internet here is always super fast cause I have 80Mb/s download speed... Also I'm not entirely sure I'd refer to Ofcom as a UK based company with UK based interests; they're the communications regulatory board for the country. They stop shitty things like monopolies etc.

Speedtest claims the world average is 15Mb/s, and whilst my connection is better than 90% of the world, it's only better than 87% of the UK, so by that logic, the UK average is a tad higher than 15Mb/s

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huey2k2 said:

@shadowskill11 said:

Ignorant asshole? His first suggestion is just to get a physical copy at retail. You're more of an asshole for calling him an ass for just saying "hey, if it's a problem, there are other options."

Also, with preloading and everything, 50GB isn't that bad. Most people with good internet can get 50GB pretty quickly. Instantly? No, but pretty quick and not everyone gives a damn about getting it in the frist 5 minutes. I don't mind setting something to download and just coming back when it's done. I regularly download 15GB games in no time flat, and my internet isn't all that spectacular. 50GB will be a bit of a wait, but honestly less hassle than going to a retail location for me. Not to mention the added security of being able to just download and delete games at will instead of having to hang on to a disk.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Immortal_Guy

Hold on - a single blu ray disc on the PS4 can hold up to 400 GB, when the whole hard disc can only hold 500GB? That seems really wierd to me. If in the far-flung future any games actually used all the space available on the disc, there'd be no way you could download them.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kpaadet

Wow, bandwidth cap is actually still a thing for some people? Well I hope those being affected by a cap, are atleast able use their landline while being "connected".

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Haven't had a bandwidth cap in forever. All hail Unlimited Data! (Oh and I'm in Canada)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hold on - a single blu ray disc on the PS4 can hold up to 400 GB, when the whole hard disc can only hold 500GB? That seems really wierd to me. If in the far-flung future any games actually used all the space available on the disc, there'd be no way you could download them.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Since when could PS4 discs hold 400 GB of data?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By mike

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Since when could PS4 discs hold 400 GB of data?

16 layer 400gb discs are available and don't require special lasers or anything...they can be read by current BD players. I think there are even 20 layer discs now. 25gb per layer * 16 layers = 400gb.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mb said:

16 layer 400gb discs are available and don't require special lasers or anything...they can be read by current BD players. I think there are even 20 layer discs now. 25gb per layer * 16 layers = 400gb.

Crazy! But is there any evidence to suggest that these discs are being used by Sony (or hey, even Microsoft, they're on the Blu-Train now) for games? I have to imagine that these cost more to produce.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I'm about to move to a place where the only internet option that isn't Dial Up is 50 dollars a month for a 20gb monthly cap. Fuck the internet in this country, goddamn.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Huey2k2

@jarmahead said:

@huey2k2 said:

@shadowskill11 said:

Ignorant asshole? His first suggestion is just to get a physical copy at retail. You're more of an asshole for calling him an ass for just saying "hey, if it's a problem, there are other options."

Also, with preloading and everything, 50GB isn't that bad. Most people with good internet can get 50GB pretty quickly. Instantly? No, but pretty quick and not everyone gives a damn about getting it in the frist 5 minutes. I don't mind setting something to download and just coming back when it's done. I regularly download 15GB games in no time flat, and my internet isn't all that spectacular. 50GB will be a bit of a wait, but honestly less hassle than going to a retail location for me. Not to mention the added security of being able to just download and delete games at will instead of having to hang on to a disk.

He starts out with "if you decide to use an ISP with caps" which is implying I am making the choice to have bandwidth caps.

And I am not sure how you think that he is being helpful in any way by suggesting that people buy physical copies of games. Obviously I know I can do that, but that doesn't change the fact that it would be nice to be able to download all my games.

Saying "change your ISP" is also the furthest thing from useful advice because that wouldn't solve my problem at all.

If he had said "hey, if it's a problem, there are other options." like you said, I wouldn't have cared. But the comment he made was pointless and inflammatory.

So yes, he is being an ignorant asshole.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: Looks like they do but I'm not the one that makes the decisions when it comes to the internet. Maybe I'll bring it up though.