• 57 results
#1 Edited by randiolo (1090 posts) -

Mark spits game on the Ps4 and his early life, very interesting stuff..

#2 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
#3 Edited by randiolo (1090 posts) -

Here is the only archive on the net anywhere atm..

#4 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Mark Cerny is the Harry Potter of video games.

#5 Edited by csl316 (7963 posts) -

Making Cerny the face of the PS4 is the absolute best thing Sony could've done to start this generation.

#6 Posted by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

@randiolo: nice, thank you! been looking for this archive, cerny is a real interesting figure.

#7 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

@csl316: Yes, totally agree. It's refreshing to have someone up front who actually knows WTF they are talking about.

I just realized that working for Sony probably means you have to use Vaio laptops. Good god.

#8 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -
#9 Edited by Marokai (2785 posts) -

I fucking love listening to this guy talk.

#10 Edited by DarthOrange (3809 posts) -

I shall watch this later. Thanks for bringing it up!

#11 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

What the fuck is up with the intro that guy gave him?

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

@zero_: woah. Cerny stated that Ubisoft, EA and Activision were involved in some form in development for PS4 but also Rockstar ? all the other companies would be testing out their yearly franchises but what were rockstar using the ps4 for. This is really exciting.

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@tourgen said:

I just realized that working for Sony probably means you have to use Vaio laptops. Good god.

Hey they're not that bad! :(

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Oh man totally going to watch this once I get home.

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

I can't believe I just sat through and listened through all of that. It's incredibly easy to just sink time into listening to this guy talk.

#16 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

That translated introduction was crazy.

The speech was interesting. Cerny truly is talented and hearing him talk openly about some issues they had with the PS3 such as a weak lineup or their narrow vision when it came to the Cell Processor makes me hopeful for the PS4.

#17 Edited by Marokai (2785 posts) -

@fluxwavez: Cerny just openly stating they had "completely the wrong attitude" with the Ps3 was surprisingly frank and really refreshing to hear.

#18 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (307 posts) -

Just finished watching. First time I heard of Mark Cerny was at the Playstation 4 reveal. The man has had a surreal career.

#19 Posted by Kierkegaard (562 posts) -

That was humble, down to earth, and human. Cool. I like the clear example of how they could have been more complex with PS4, but chose not to, choosing 176 over 1088.

#20 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I'll be honest. I didn't know this guy existed before the February conference and I thought he was creepy sounding. But now that I've watched the full video, I'm really glad that Sony made the decision to be the Lead PS4 Architect designer. The more Sony reveals about what they were doing to make the Ps4 succeed, the more and more I like them. I have a very strong feeling, as I'm sure a lot of you others do to, that Sony's PS4 will be the best console on the market and could last even longer this console cycle than the PS3 did.

#21 Edited by Nights (602 posts) -

@marokai said:

Likewise. He's highly intelligent and his discussions are a bit mesmerizing. It might sound silly, but his involvement with the system is one of the many reasons why I've decided to become an early adopter of the PS4.

#22 Edited by Wraxend (550 posts) -

The best thing about Mark Cerny is that he talks from the heart and isn't spouting some PR bullshit, you can see his passion for the work he does.

#23 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

If anyone can right the Playstation boat, you gotta think Cerny is the man to do it. Sony chose wisely.

#24 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

Blah blah blah, what does Mark Cerny know about making games.....

#25 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

@tourgen said:

Hey they're not that bad! :(

hahah yeah they're actually mostly alright. I've seen a few models that were kind of terrible but the new stuff at least has a decent keyboard.

#26 Posted by DarthOrange (3809 posts) -

Besides the intro with the guy calling "Kerny" a metrosexual that whole talk was awesome. I had no idea that Shu and Cerny had such a long history together along with Andrew house. Also seeing him admit that they were being cocky assholes saying fuck third parties during the early PS3 era was surprising.

#27 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Awesome, will watch later tonight - cheers.

#28 Posted by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

I thought he was going to drop the mic at the end, before he walked off stage.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Man, I could listen to Cerny talk all god damn day. I just finished watching that and it was fascinating. Especially to hear him get into the PS3 stuff and why they stumbled so hard out of the gate.

#30 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Watched the whole thing, very interesting. I'll admit I'm also among the crowd who didn't know who he was until the PS4 reveal, but I enjoyed his presentation there a lot and hearing him talk more in-depth about his life and career here is really cool.

#31 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I love his straightforward way of speaking (while being concise and technical of course) that's how any company spokesperson should be just "this are the facts" none of that PR crap filled with buzzwords so yeah that talk was pretty great thanks for sharing.

#32 Posted by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

This man really know what he is talking about. Never had the chance to meet him myself but some one with that much passion is definitely a rare sight in the big boy's developers club. I am amaze and inspire by someone like this, who have been working in this field for so long and still clearly passionate.

#33 Edited by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

Just like John Carmack I could listen to Cerny talk for hours. This was great and really shows what they thought about while making the PS4 as a platform.

#34 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Extremely fascinating talk, I love how candid Sony is being about their creative process.

#35 Posted by TurboMan (7340 posts) -

Cerny is such a fucking boss.

#36 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

Wow I'm watching this and how the fuck did PS3 find any success?

#37 Posted by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

@nights said:

@marokai said:

Likewise. He's highly intelligent and his discussions are a bit mesmerizing. It might sound silly, but his involvement with the system is one of the many reasons why I've decided to become an early adopter of the PS4.

yep, having this guy as one of the new faces of ps4 definitely cemented a new faith in sony now.

#38 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1347 posts) -

I'm disappointed it didn't go on longer, listening to Mark Cerny is entrancing. He seems to be on the level and it is refreshing to see such a guy speak about this stuff so straightforwardly.

#39 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

Cerny is almost single-handedly restoring my faith in the direction that Sony is taking. They really lost me with the PS3, and I felt like it would take a lot to get me back on board with Sony's hardware. And somehow, they really seem to be pulling out all the stops. I'm excited to see what comes of their efforts.

#40 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Wow, that was utterly fascinating. So open, frank, straightforward, and damn informative too. I actually learned a lot about the history and inner workings of modern games from this. So many cool little tidbits of information that had me genuinely surprised. Anyone who's at all interested in video games should watch this.

#41 Posted by Slag (3903 posts) -

This talk sold me more on the PS4, than anything I've seen so far.

Cerny gets it, he really gets it. And what he doesn't get, he uses the right process to find out. So refreshing to see such a sane approach.

thanks for sharing @randiolo, that was incredible!

#42 Posted by Kirathian (66 posts) -

Wow, so much detail and perspective on what went into Playstation console development throughout the years. The formation of Naughty Dog, The ICE team, The mistakes with the PS3.

That was incredible.

#43 Posted by GamingMichael (104 posts) -

It would be great if Giant Bomb could get a sitdown interview/discussion with Cerny. It's pretty awesome that a device designed primarily for gaming is being spearheaded by somebody that actually creates games.

#44 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1829 posts) -

Listening to this guy talk cements the idea that I want to make video games for a living more and more and more every time I hear his thoughts on anything.

#45 Posted by RobotHamster (4169 posts) -

Cerny is truly a brilliant man, it's exciting to know how much input he has with the PS4. I could listen to so much more of his life in the industry. And after the amount of faults he pointed out with the PS3 and knowing that it sold basically the same the 360, I see an incredible future for the PS4.

#46 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Here's a superior video without the constant humming sound (or weird ass intro):

#47 Posted by White (1302 posts) -

#Time-To-Triangle

#48 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

His comments about the eDram solution were fascinating. It's pretty much what the X1 is doing.

#49 Edited by Scampbell (486 posts) -

@liquidprince: Pretty sure they are using DDR3.

@devil240z said:

Wow I'm watching this and how the fuck did PS3 find any success?

Well it is outselling the Xbox one now.

#50 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@scampbell: a combination of ddr3 and eSRAM both of which are slower than GDDR5.