My PS4 died.

• 137 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

You're doing the smart thing by dealing with Amazon. Sony has the worst customer support I've ever dealt with in my entire life.

Swipe on Bodega?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@flappy said:

I'm sorry to hear that, homie. If you get another one, I hope it works out for ya.

All these stories have me dreading Monday evening's package. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I am probably going to pick up one of my other preorders in the morning. After a chat with a friend, we talked about probabilities.

If Sony is being truthful, and the percentage of failing units is about 0.4%, then the chances of me getting a second busted unit is 0.0016%

Even if it's 10x worse than they say, the odds are still pretty low.

If this next one is broken, then I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket, because it would be a sign from the gods of probability.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By psylah

You're doing the smart thing by dealing with Amazon. Sony has the worst customer support I've ever dealt with in my entire life.

Do you think I am likely to get a full refund from Amazon? I mean, I can't be up to anything shifty, I got the thing and asked for a refund within hours.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@psylah said:

@chrissedoff said:

Do you think I am likely to get a full refund from Amazon? I mean, I can't be up to anything shifty, I got the thing and asked for a refund within hours.

Amazon is usually pretty good with that stuff. Sorry to hear about your ps4 dude. Sony is shipping 3mil units by the year's end, even at 1% failure rate (average consumer electronic failure rate is about 5-7%) that's 30,000 units. Good luck launch buyers.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By beforet

Fuuuuuck, that sucks! Really shitty way to start of the brave new generation.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@psylah said:

It seems that there is a solution that involves removing the HDD and turning it on. I'd like to get input from Sony before I try something like that, but I've been on the phone for about 40 minutes.

Are you going to end up trying this? I don't see how it could do any harm.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know how that feels. I had a launch night PS3 YLOD literally 5 minutes after first powering it on. :(

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I got a busted one as well. This ruins my weekend plans =(. Was on hold for over an hour with Sony who is supposedly over-nighting a box to me...well we'll see.

All I did was try and update to 1.50, it installed, rebooted and when I went to sign in it blue-lighted and will not go in to safe mode. Interestingly, as I was a little...upset...about this happening and while trying to troubleshoot the problem I smacked the top cover. It instantly turned on. I was able to log in, play Killzone for a couple hours.

Unfortunately I had to move from the place I was at and needed to hook the machine up to a different TV. After moving the device 20 feet, it now again no longer turns on.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By BawlZINmotion

That sounds like a malfunctioning power supply. :(

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Sorry to hear that duder. I waited all day and mine didn't show up until 9:50 PM which 20 minutes later I had to go to my night shift. Annoying but nothing like what you've had to deal with. God it will suck if I finally get to crack the sucker open tomorrow and it has one of these issues....crossing fingers.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Amazon is getting pelted with 1-star reviews from people with DOA units. Been running mine pretty much constantly for around 6 hours with no issues, have played KZ, Knack, DCUO, Resogun, and Contrast, no issues to speak of (knock on wood). Hopefully the numbers of defective units aren't as bad as they look right now.

Sounds like Sony sold a metric f-ton of these things, so even if they sold a million and 10,000 were defective, that's still only 1%, but it's going to seem like so much more because of how vocal people with issues tend to be online these days. Not that that's a bad thing, but hopefully this isn't going to turn into a long term reliability issue.

Decided to go ahead and pick up the 2-year extended warranty on mine regardless though. Have never bothered with a previous console launch (launch 60GB PS3 still going strong), but something tells me this might be the generation that makes it worthwhile.

Good luck to the op and anyone else with similar problems, hopefully things get straightened out and people can get back to enjoying the games.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#62 jeanluc  Staff

That blows dude. I wish you the best of luck on getting a replacement.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same thing happened to me. Sony said they would fix it but it will take 2-6 weeks.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Well that really sucks. Hearing these stories makes me feel better about not buying a PS4 for another year or two.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel: but you're missing Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack... Ah fuck. I really should have waited.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By Sooty

My first PS3 stopped reading blu-ray discs after a few weeks, it'd read DVD but nothing else.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear about that dude, hopefully everything works out well for you.

@l4wd0g: Come on, Killzone looks great! Knack looks pretty fun as well.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for your misfortune duder. Apparently you are far from being alone in this situation. It will be interesting to see just how widespread these hardware problems are once some solid data comes out.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this REALLY BAD? I'm sorry he had problems, but the problem he describes is not widespread. There will be a few bad eggs.

Why are Sony fans so defensive? People are going out of their way to call every new case an isolated incident.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks but, it was a smart move on your part to order it on Amazon.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I dread buying new electronics. Once had a 1,500$ PC show up busted. What a nightmare. Keep calm. Get a replacement or refund.

Jeez, I really hope this isn't as widespread as all the venting customers make it seem. Right now it feels like I'm going to play Russian Roulette on the 29th.

I will play though. I want all those sweet sweet frames and high rez texutres in my BF4 experience.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

If Sony is being truthful, and the percentage of failing units is about 0.4%, then the chances of me getting a second busted unit is 0.0016%

They probably aren´t being honest about their failure rates. Just like MS was not at all honest with the 360- until a couple of years later. From all the stuff I´ve seen so far, the PS4 seems like a real piece of shit. I still have mine preordered and the European launch is still about two weeks away..

But I guess the smart thing to do right now is wait until next year.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I'm glad I cancelled my pre order at the last minute. New graphics card for me! It seems everybody is having problems with their new PS4 units.

This whole situation really sucks.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Darji

@jmood88 said:

@flippyandnod said:

Why is this REALLY BAD? I'm sorry he had problems, but the problem he describes is not widespread. There will be a few bad eggs.

Why are Sony fans so defensive? People are going out of their way to call every new case an isolated incident.

If Sony sold like 1 million units in the last days and you have like lets say 1000 defect units it is an isolated incident. Hardware can be faulty no matter what and if you sell a lot of devices in one day you will see more reports of broken ones.

Oh and for people with flashing lights it is mostly your HDMI try another cable for example.

For anyone with a flashing blue light and no signal:

First, make sure your HDMI port isn't faulty like Kotaku's was:

http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-ou...ps4-1464813671

If your HDMI port seems fine, hold the power button for 7 or so seconds until the system turns off. Make sure your HDMI cable is firmly connected on both sides and turn your PS4 back on. If you PS4 displays a white light, it has succeeded in performing the HDMI handshake and should work fine. The PS4 seems to be really finicky about the HDMI handshake. Others have theorized that it comes with some kind of default output setting that is unfriendly to a lot of HDTVs and/or AV receivers, and it appears that this may be the case.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Syed117

What the hell is going on?

Was out all day and didn't get a chance to pick mine up from best buy. Now I'm fearing it.

Not everyone is on Internet forums, if we are seeing this many cases of dead systems here and all over the Internet, there are guaranteed to be more people who are having issues.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

Yeah I wonder what the problem could be. Something slipped by at Sony and the device isn't working in all hypothetical circumstances.

This is just unscientific sample of anecdotes but look here:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/product-reviews/B00BGA9WK2/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Hope they get to the bottom of this before more people suffer the outrage of not being able to play.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77 chaser324  Moderator

@nomin: You really can't judge failure rates based on one-star Amazon reviews or internet reaction in general because most of the people that are having no problems aren't saying anything. Thus far, it doesn't seem to me like the issues are all that widespread.

It sucks for people that do have problems, but no hardware has ever had a 0% failure rate. That's even more true with the early batches of a new piece of hardware.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By GIyn

Pics or it didnt happen

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

When I asked Brad during the chat to comment on these issues they all laughed it off as being really insignificant in light of other hardware launches. So yah, all you doods with fucked up PS4's in this thread - don't worry this is a really low failure rate!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

serious question for people in America... all these stories about new systems breaking and you contacting Sony... what?

I ask because here in Europe, if I bought a new PS4 and it broke imediatly, I would go to the store to get it replaced, I wouldnt contact Sony, the waranty would cover like 15 days to just flat out trade it for a new one at the random store I bought it at

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@syed117 said:

What the hell is going on?

Was out all day and didn't get a chance to pick mine up from best buy. Now I'm fearing it.

Not everyone is on Internet forums, if we are seeing this many cases of dead systems here and all over the Internet, there are guaranteed to be more people who are having issues.

It's only natural. I'd be venting on the internet too if I'd be in this situation. On the other hand, if my system works fine, I'd likely be playing games right now. A satisfied customer is not going to vent on the internet. Hence it seems like everybody's getting broken PS4s, while in all likeliness, it's not widespread.

Let's hope for the best.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@rhaknar: If you can fix the problem by spending some time troubleshooting on the phone with Sony, that is probably preferable for a lot of people to the option of returning it and waiting several weeks for a replacement.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By Sooty

@rhaknar said:

serious question for people in America... all these stories about new systems breaking and you contacting Sony... what?

I ask because here in Europe, if I bought a new PS4 and it broke imediatly, I would go to the store to get it replaced, I wouldnt contact Sony, the waranty would cover like 15 days to just flat out trade it for a new one at the random store I bought it at

I think you only get 90 days of warranty in the US or some bullshit. That could be outdated but it used to be true.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TruthTellah

@rhaknar said:

I'm pretty sure they're talking to Sony because the stores are likely all out of units. It was launch day after all. So, the stores may have no units to replace it with. They may also just be hoping to troubleshoot over the phone first to avoid having to get a replacement for a fixable problem.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd just get a refund. I mean, they sold you a busted product. They should be the ones that have to deal with it.

xfuturesx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhaknar: For me, it's because I don't have the option to have it replaced. Amazon told me that they were only able to issue me a refund. Then about two hours later they were listing $500 bundles as in-stock and selling them. I feel pretty screwed over because I pre-ordered one as soon as they let you on Amazon and now I have a dead piece of hardware and limited recourse if I want to actually end up with a working PS4.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By OmegaPirate

@xfuturesx: That is real shitty of amazon.

Real fucking shitty. I take it you've not had any luck with the customer live chat from them? i Know they must have limited supply on launch, but they can't just fuck ALL their customers over like that.

xfuturesx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegapirate: It seemed like they were just going by SKU. The rep specifically said "You order Playstation 4 Launch Day Edition. We don't currently have that in stock. You can signup to notified by e-mail when we have it avilable"

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's shitty and I thought my luck was bad when I dropped the box walking up the steps to my house, thankfully it seems my PS4 was built a bit tougher externally then yours is internally.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@omegapirate: It's a bit unfair to characterize it as them "fucking over their customers." What do you expect them to do? Amazon can't be blamed for hardware production issues, and it's unreasonable to expect them to hold back units just so that they can fulfill replacements. A full refund and paid return shipping might not be what you want, but if they're willing to do that with basically no questions asked, I don't know how you can call it them "fucking over their customers."

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@seppli said:

I dread buying new electronics. Once had a 1,500$ PC show up busted. What a nightmare. Keep calm. Get a replacement or refund.

I know that feel. I sent it back to the company, and it came back broken in a different way. Three times. This was over a month of back and forth.

I eventually asked for a refund because they couldn't provide me a product that matched the description, and they said that I "couldn't have a refund as it was past the 30 day return period." I went ballistic, I hadn't even had the machine in my hands for more than 5 days total over that period. Had to get legal and start quoting consumer laws before they finally gave me my money back.

So hey, it could always be worse right?

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is crazy. I hope this stuff is fixed when I order a PS4 on Amazon in a year. Boy, and those Amazon reviews look terrible.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds shite...here's hoping that I'll have better luck with my PS4 (arriving in next month), like I've had with fatty 2009 model of PS3, which still works to this day.

Might've jinxed myself now, though...crap.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Hopefully they give replacements for this problem asap as this sucks, also why I wait a month or two on new consoles for this reason.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By hatking

Bummer. Seems like all electronics have some sort of failure rate. Sucks that you fell into that group. Hopefully it's a quick and painless swap. Maybe they'll cover some overnight shipping for you.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I guess, it was just more the 'They say they cant send me a unit but they have more expensive sku's available'

I know they cant cut themselves for every customer - but a little goodwill here and there is good for a company ^_^

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Wow. A little over 24 hours and the internet is blowing up with PS4 problems.

It sounds like a problem with the 1.50 patch, but I've seen just as many that claim rebooting to factory default isn't helping. I hope this Sony gets ahead of this problem before it really gets bad.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By psylah

@mikejflick: I was actually shocked and appalled by how poorly the console is protected in the box. No foam, just folded cardboard. Cardboard is sturdy enough, but not very shock absorbent. I mean, at work I buy a lot of monitors, and even the CHEAPEST monitor I've bought was protected by styrofoam, and I'm spending <$100 on that, not >$400.

@winsord: I did try this. Still no luck. I think it is a power supply issue, since the normal "pulsing blue light" problem has it at least staying on.

@humanity said:

When I asked Brad during the chat to comment on these issues they all laughed it off as being really insignificant in light of other hardware launches. So yah, all you doods with fucked up PS4's in this thread - don't worry this is a really low failure rate!

I remember listening to the old Hotspot podcasts (thanks to @zanzibarbreeze 's This Year collection) and I remember dismissing the 360 failures as well.

(Edit: Maybe it was the 1up Yours guys that dismissed it. I don't quite remember. You guys should really listen to This Year.)

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I called the Sony store, where I had my other preorders placed, and they said that if I purchase from them, they will replace the unit if it is defective. I'm heading in to the city today to go pick one up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@psylah: well it's a lot easier to brush it off when your unit works and you've gotten to play it, for free, weeks before launch. At that point buying your own unit is almost an afterthought. Love the doods but sometimes they brush these issues off without thinking about the "common dooder" - I mean buying a PS4 isn't a huge financial burden on me but I know some out there were saving up for quite some time and getting a defective unit, then being forced tow a it weeks for a replacement can be terrible.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

There is always one in the bunch. Look at this way you are kind of unique.