My PS4 died.

• 137 results
psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@humanity: On the other hand, being on the same floor as Gamespot means that they are going to be around a lot of people who have bought / have to use PS4s. If there are a large number of people coming in on Monday (or who came in on Friday) and report having a bricked system, they're likely to change their tune.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@psylah said:

@winsord: I did try this. Still no luck. I think it is a power supply issue, since the normal "pulsing blue light" problem has it at least staying on.

Darn, that's too bad. Thanks for responding!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#103  Edited By big_jon

Welcome to the future of gaming!

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

As sucky as this is people are being WAY overdramatic. Every electronic device has a 5% or so failure rate. If Sony sold a million PS4s yesterday that's 50,000 people with a broken machine today, and of course they are lighting up Amazon and forums screaming about how much it sucks. Because it DOES suck. It is not unique though, nor is it a reason to cancel your preorder unless you plan to never buy new electronics ever.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By psylah

Just got back from the Sony store. Not one minute after I had walked in, someone came in behind me and had their PS4, in a box from whatever online retailer he had used, saying it was defective. I asked him about his, and he said that his did not power on at all out of the box.

The Sony store representative said that of the very few people returning, they had not had a single unit they sold in-store come back. They were all people who had them shipped.

He also said that if I wanted, I could have returned my Amazon PS4 to the Sony store and gotten a replacement.

It was too late for that, since I had already sent my bricked unit back via UPS.

If any of you have a bricked unit, see where your nearest Sony store is, and call in to see if they will replace it.

Well, it's time to open the new PS4 now, and I'm almost dreading it. Wish me luck.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By TheHBK

Why on with Sony, just return that bitch

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@psylah: I believe in you and your PS4, homie.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This reminds me of the thread about packing hubs and how apparently all our expensive electronics get hurled around the place because they gotta meet quotas.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By psylah

Alright guys, get this. The PS4 is working so far. But there is one glaring problem...

I was able to get my last PS4 up and running. In that process, it has you set it as your primary PS4. It then died.

I cannot activate this new PS4 as my primary until I deactivate it on the old PS4, meaning I probably won't be able to download any games on it.

Guess it's time to call support again.

While they're on speaker, I'll try to play Killzone. Again.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Console launches being fucked isnt something new. That's why I'm waiting until next year, when everything will be worked out and when there will be actual games that I'm interested in.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By psylah

@psylah: you can deauthorize a console here https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

How to Deactivate a PlayStation®4 System

You can only deactivate your PlayStation®4 system directly from the system itself.

1. Turn on your PS4.
  2. From your Home Screen, press the Up button to view the Function Screen.
  3. Select [Settings].
  4. Select [PSN].
  5. If you are not already signed in, sign in to PSN.
  6. Select [Activate as Your Primary PS4] from the menu.
  7. Select [Deactivate].
  8. Select [Yes] to confirm that you want to deactivate this PS4. When the system has been deactivated, you will see 'Deactivated'. The PS4 has been removed from your account.
  9. Select [OK] to return to manage your other PSN settings.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@psylah: that's wild

It seems like an option that would exclusively be used when you don't have access to your original console which is even more baffling as to why they don't let you do it through the website (I assume Playstation users have a similar website like XBOX does)

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading all this makes me worried about my Xone next week :(

Hand thight guys!

p

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My condolences to you and everyone else that has problems.

Needless to say we all knew launch won't be smooth, but I cannot imagine the frustration of finally getting hands on next-gen and then it dying on you.

Let's hope these issues will get fixed soon, and that X1 won't have problems or get those fixed asap as well. No matter what console you buy, or what "fanboy" base you belong to, I think it's fair to say pointing fingers and laughing won't do good for anyone.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the good news is that the PS4 seems to be functional so far.

I'm still on the phone (on hold) with Sony, with a wait time of "over 15 minutes". When I called yesterday, "over 15 minutes" led to me being on hold for 2 hours before I hung up.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By insidergamer

A weird power issue makes me think I'd try a different power outlet for your console. (And maybe not just a different outlet in the same spot, but a completely different one.)

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By soulcake

Not really surprised when you see people throwing boxes around at Amazon or other big warehouses time = money so they toss stuff up and on the truck even with a fragile label on it.

Skallywag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: got to the account tab and then media and devices. it should let you deactivate but you have to deactivate all devices and i think you can only do it once every 6 months if i remember correctly

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skallywag: Will I be able to reactivate all of these devices? I have a PSP, Vita and PS3 as well.

This isn't going to blacklist or EMP-fry my devices, is it?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@verendus said:

Let's hope these issues will get fixed soon, and that X1 won't have problems or get those fixed asap as well. No matter what console you buy, or what "fanboy" base you belong to, I think it's fair to say pointing fingers and laughing won't do good for anyone.

Electronics, especially brand new electronics like the PS4 and Xbox One, will always have some number of units coming off of the production line that are busted. All you can do is just cross your fingers and hope that you don't win that broken console lottery.

I've been there. My first 360 red ringed the third time I turned it on, less than 48 hours after buying it. Luckily that was about 18 months after the 360 launch, so it was easy for me to exchange it for a new one (...that worked for three months before the disc drive broke down). The worst thing about getting a bad unit at launch is that the limited stock can make getting a replacement very difficult.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked mine up from best buy.

Decided to keep it.

Fingers crossed.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: got to the account tab and then media and devices. it should let you deactivate but you have to deactivate all devices and i think you can only do it once every 6 months if i remember correctly

I asked on twitter (both the @AskPlayStation and @yosp, ironically Shu was faster to respond than Sony's support staff) and he linked me to a page that suggested the same thing. I gave it a try and it worked.

I have to reactivate every downloaded game on my PS3 and my Vita now, but it's a solution.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Verendus

@chaser324: Sorry to hear that. I was incredibly lucky this generation, neither my 360 or PS3 had no issues. I hope my luck stays that way with PS4. Especially when supply for PS4 in my country is extremely limited.

Skallywag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: when i did it before i just had to reactivate my ps3 and everything worked again

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@psylah said:

How widespread is this issue? I know they said .4% but goddamn.

Didn't Microsoft have similar claims early on in regards to the 360 problems?

I doubt it's as serious as that, but still.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this REALLY BAD? I'm sorry he had problems, but the problem he describes is not widespread. There will be a few bad eggs.

Doesn't matter if it's widespread or not if it happens to you. This would definitely sour me on the whole Playstation revival, leaving them an up hill battle to win my faith back. I'm glad I'm going to wait until better games come out. Hope this doesn't happen to my launch Xbone. *fingers crossed*

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmood88 said:

@flippyandnod said:

Why is this REALLY BAD? I'm sorry he had problems, but the problem he describes is not widespread. There will be a few bad eggs.

Why are Sony fans so defensive? People are going out of their way to call every new case an isolated incident.

Got nothing to do with being defensive, hardware just fails that's how it is. I got a couple of RAMs for my computer sometime ago and guess what? 2 of the 6 sticks didn't work. The xbox one will have hardware trouble aswell, and people will make threads about those problems and people will blow that up too. We're just living in a different time from the last console launch, that's why this isn't "REALLY BAAAD"... How many threads would be created if all with working hardware just wrote "everything is fine here"

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@stingingvelvet: Pretty much. It's way too damned early to call this RROD the Sequel or anything crazy like that.

Now if we hear about this for months at a time, then we raise the red flag, but we cannot jump to any conclusion other than this being the normal failure rate for new hardware.

Also, going through Sony would have been the better route. Who knows if Amazon even has enough PS4s to replace defectives?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really tragic and filled with dramatic peaks and valleys. New console launch madness is bonkers.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That fuckin sucks. But I'm glad you got a new one pretty fast it sounds like.

For anyone quick to blame launch hardware, I'd say some unit failure is expected behavior no matter how old the hardware is. Consider this, if 99.9% of PS4 had no problems (a pretty good success rate I'd say) and Sony sold 1 million PS4s, then that would mean 1000 PS4s were bricked. There are good chances that some of those 1000 are neo gaf, reddit, giant bomb or whatever users. They post their PS4's are busted, and all eyes are on Sony and their launch and suddenly it seems like the launch PS4s are pieces of shit.

Now I made all those numbers up, but still I wouldn't panic quite yet if you were gonna buy a PS4...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

well that sucks, sorry to hear that. That can make launch day much less of a fun time

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

All consumer goods have 1 years manufacturers guarantee! If shit is fucked up and it ain't your fault its fucked up SEND IT BACK TO THE SUPPLIER/ RETAILER. For either replacement, refund or store credit. These are your basic consumer rights duders.

You should have a year from now where you don't have to stress because if a product is made poorly by the company you shouldn't have to foot the bill for a replacement. If you don't have extended warranty's AFTER the 15th of Novemeber 2014 and your PS4 breaks then you will have to get your wallets out again in that case.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pulsing "blue light" ? that's a message sent by sony !

saying you should have stayed with ur ps3 !

Torabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Torabi

Faulty products will always occur. Nothing you can do about that. At least Sony will quickly give you a new one.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#138  Edited By MetalGearSunny

At least Sony is replacing them. It seems like they've been doing a good job with that from what I've heard.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dryker said:

@flippyandnod said:

Doesn't matter if it's widespread or not if it happens to you. This would definitely sour me on the whole Playstation revival, leaving them an up hill battle to win my faith back. I'm glad I'm going to wait until better games come out. Hope this doesn't happen to my launch Xbone. *fingers crossed*

lol wow

Remember when people loved Microsoft even though everyone's consoles red-ringed at one point in the console's lifespan?