hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

UPDATE 2:

This might be the first time in history that we're seeing a review of a console that has not even been announced yet: http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/review-playstation-4-slim/

NeoGAF users "Marmo" and "venomfox" seem to have the scoop. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267071

There was also talk of a redesigned DS4 leak:

No Caption Provided

Update:

Eurogamer has confirmed the veracity of the device: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-22-ps4-slim-leaks-online-first-pictures

Edit: Eurogamer took down the video so here is a mirror:

Backup: https://vid.me/0JhK

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It seems odd for a prototype redesign to be leaked with the peripherals in plastic as if it was out of a retail box.

I mean, maybe this was intended to show to retail partners to show how it would come to them, but it still seems a little odd.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Lots of people calling fake in that thread, but it looks pretty legit to me. And very ugly.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mattyftm: If this is a fall thing, they would have to be manufacturing them already.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This looks nice. I bet we'll get one of those Sega Saturn moments where Sony says we can get these things right now when they do the PSNEO announcement later this month. I'm more interested to see the reasons Sony gives for current Playstation owners to get this or the new thing. Although I'd bet this redesign isn't for current so much as a cheaper option for anyone who is still holding out for that first redesign, maybe. At this point, the more interesting thing is how Playstation convinces current owners and people who aren't bought in to buy the NEO, hopefully that is an interesting reason.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BojackHorseman

Ugly

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of work went into making that either way, so I am going to say it is real. Also, it looks like shit.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every current gen console looks like ass, they are all just boxes. Use some imagination and style on them designers!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laxbro19: based on rumors, sony plans to support the Neo/og ps4 in equal measure. If a dev wants to make a game on ps4, it has to be able to run on both (with neo having a few benefits). So I'm guessing the Neo will be marketed as a premium device and the og ps4 a cheaper alternative.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hassun
Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome if you ask me. Looks like the need to poop on everything just for the sake of it finally overtook giantbomb too.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: If some people genuinely think it looks ugly, why does it have to be "for the sake of it"? Not everyone on the internet is trying to troll with their opinions.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunflame88

Looks like a high-effort fake. Hell, maybe this was made by the same person who created that fake NX. And if it's real, then it will be the worst looking console Sony has put out to date.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@quipido said:

Looks awesome if you ask me. Looks like the need to poop on everything just for the sake of it finally overtook giantbomb too.

I don't know man, it doesn't look hideous to me but it doesn't like all that great either. It's just how I feel about it though, no group-think happening here. Then again I never thought the original XB1 looked as terrible as everyone said it did so who knows, opinions on aesthetics are as broad as the ocean.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a cable box or tv service provider. Kind of a minimalistic choice. Which is a trend in commercial products these days. It's eh. I don't love it but I don't hate it. If I saw that and didn't look closely I would mistake it for some type of equipment than a console really. It's better than the finger print magnet that the fatboy PS3 was.

Question is the benefits of this new version and the price

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@quipido: Ah the good ol ' people who don't agree with me are just doing it to be contrarian'

I think it looks fine, but prefer how the xbox slim looks.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't really look any smaller?

We live in the age of 3D printers people. To me, this is not legit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Not really a fan of the new design, honestly. But, it is what it is.

If that's final though, kinda bummed. I really love the design of the original PS4.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, if that's real, I hope it's not a final design. Woof. (and no, I'm not just saying that "to poop on it", either)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MezZa

Something seems odd to me. I think it's the packaging. Wouldn't they call it something else or have a title after "PS4" on the box to help customers distinguish the difference from the old model at a glance? And the actual design of the console seems like the safest and most boring "they'll believe this cause it's not too crazy" design ever. And why do the pamphlets look crumpled and rolled up like they were just dragged out of some forgotten trash box? I'm not sure what their packaging is like on average but my vita and ps4 came with crisp, flat, and not folded up pamphlets. Maybe it is real though. Doesn't look bad. Just neutral and uninteresting.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

The power and eject button placement seems really poor.

Why would they remove the indicator light?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22 chaser324  Moderator

Looks like a pretty solid fake but a fake nonetheless. There's something about the packaging in particular makes it seem like it's not real.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's a fake, fakes are getting crazy. I wonder if the booklets are blank or if they actually took the time to print the insides as well?

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No optical audio slot, well I'm not buying it

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By avenlaya

I think its fake. There's no real purpose to making this before Neo. The current ps4 is not large, in fact 2 of the sides of the ps4 are smaller than the Xbox 1S. There's no point in changing the ps4 design when it looks as good as it does.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think xbone has the redesign contest won so far. kinda sad they can't make them as small/slim as they used ter.

dan ryckert will probably buy one. :D

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither Patrick Klepek, nor Austin Walker dropped this story....

No Scoops = Fake

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By mike

@avenlaya said:

There's no point in changing the ps4 design when it looks as good as it does.

Redesigns like this aren't primarily about looks, they are about reducing manufacturing costs and making profit. If Sony is planning on making many millions more PS4 consoles and they can make more money in the long run by making a smaller, cheaper console, then they're going to. This really isn't anything new, just look at things like the PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim, multiple revisions of the Xbox 360, and so forth.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm more interested in the NEO than this PS4 slim....?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Im leaning on the side of fake, there are a few things that look a little off. And don't these things normally leak from some manufacturing plant and patent or FCC filings or something? not some dude with the retail package in there living room?

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, that's ugly as hell. Assuming it's real, I hope this is just a redesign of the existing system and not the Neo.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's the slim then it looks like marginal gains in terms of space. And they wouldn't come in a retail box unless they were ready to ship, right? Manuals look a little bent, too. You'd expect that to be flat and crisp.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Well this is the time to launch a more cost-effective model, so sure why not. The only thing that looks funky to me are those USB-ports. Why would they be spread out like that? I'm also really disappointed if they don't give the DS4 design an overhaul.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fnrslvr

I'm with the "this thing looks fugly" camp. Of my own volition, mind.

It's a shame, especially seeing as though PS4 launched with the better looking machine. I guess it could still very easily be fake.

@laxbro19 said:

I'm more interested to see the reasons Sony gives for current Playstation owners to get this or the new thing.

I really don't think they have to give one. If there's been any lesson to glean from the Xbox One S, it's that the old model will fly off the shelves when they bump the price down to clear stock, then the new model will fly off shelves because a different group of people want the sleek new SKU even though they know that a beefier SKU is on the way. Some of that might be Microsoft shrewdly predicting demand (or just under-producing the thing), but all the rhetoric about how this kind of move is basically sending your product out to die just seems to be wrong.

EDIT: @mike:I agree, but making it look better seems important too. You don't want a New Coke situation on your hands.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By Castiel

Hard to tell if it's real or not but that said I do find it pretty unbelievable that Sony would ship a redesigned PS4 with only 500 GB. It would have to be at least 1 TB.

If anything that's the one thing that can make this seem fake.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By Sooperspy

@castiel: I held in my hands today a 500gb Xbox One Slim (which came out this month), so I don't see why it's that unbelievable that Sony would also have a redesign holding only 500gb as well.

Either way, I think this redesign looks pretty ugly compared to the original PS4 design, although those little nubs on the bottom of the shapes is pretty damn cool. Also, it's not all that much slimmer, huh?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it looks pretty good it just seems fake to me. The general shape reminds me a lot of a 3D printed enclosure and the buttons really don't seem like something that would ship on a finished console. If it is real then I think it looks quite a bit worse than the standard PS4.

As others have pointed out there isn't a good reason for Sony to redesign the standard PS4. It isn't very large and many of the issues it may have don't need to be fixed through a full redesign. I totally see Sony having the Neo be visually different than the normal PS4 but that is very unlikely to be this thing as the Neo would certainly be larger to accommodate better cooling for the new hardware.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS symbols on the bottom are a neat touch but man if this is the real PS4 slim it looks real bad, especially with the rounded edges. Now I'm worried about how the NEO will look.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the mat finish but hoping it's fake as I want some more USB slots at the back of the machine.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deepcovergecko

It seems like this is Sony's release strategy:

Release high quality, expensive first console

Release uglier, cheaper looking version of first console

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a spray painted or photoshopped laptop.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is the paperwork so wrinkled and bent? :)

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never liked the look of any playstation console with the exception of the PSone. This continues that trend.

DragonBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is. There are already shortages of PS4s in Japan, their worst region. They're phasing out the original model in favor of the Slim, probably with a price cut to $249 or $299. I'd assume the Neo would be around $399. It saves them money, some of which they can pass on to the consumer. Two models out this holiday.

@avenlaya said:

I think its fake. There's no real purpose to making this before Neo. The current ps4 is not large, in fact 2 of the sides of the ps4 are smaller than the Xbox 1S. There's no point in changing the ps4 design when it looks as good as it does.

I always do find it weird the people who ask why would I buy a slim version of a console they already own. Those models are not marketed for existing customers.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Anyone know if that little DisplayPort looking...port is that or PSVR? I haven't looked at the back of my PS4 in ages

From a design perspective I think I still personally prefer my angular and sharp Ps4 on the shelf now. I wouldn't mind the backside of it not being angled in such a way that makes it so I have to move it to actually get back there. I can echo sentiments that rear USB ports would be welcome too (heh rear ports)

Most interesting will be pricing and posture toward the Neo if this is just a slim redesign without that UHD upgrade the Xbox One S has.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jorbit

I just bought a PS4 :\

If this is out for the holidays, I wonder if there's a good path for trading up?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I like that it is fully matte. But those button placements are dubious. Why would you put the eject button right in front of the disk drive? Someone get Drake on the horn; we need answers!!!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Calling fake right now. Thing looks horrid.