#1 Edited by keyweez360 (13 posts) -

PS4 is set up via HDMI and Linear PCM through a receiver, same as my 360 and PS3. Had the same setup for years and the sound has always been fairly comparably and fine across PS3/360. PS3 would usually give me slightly clearer, louder audio, but still.

With PS4 though, I'm noticing the center channel audio is a bit scaled back and the bass is kind of ridiculous. Best example I've found is the first boss battle in Resogun. Overwhelmingly loud bass, even if I all but mute my subwoofer. The music in NBA 2K14, while not as ridiculous as the bass in Resogun, was also very bass heavy.

Killzone Shadow Fall seems fine though, great sound design.

Anyone else finding this to be the case with their audio?

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Sorry, not seeing the problem here. Because BASS.

#3 Posted by RonGalaxy (2872 posts) -

drop da bass, sony.

#4 Posted by Bobbyr (79 posts) -

Jack Tretton bringing the wubs, y'all

#5 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3172 posts) -

Next Gen Bass is here.

#6 Edited by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

I still haven't got mine, but I don't have to hear it to know I want more bass. I want my headphones to give me a head massage with sound.

Always more bass.

#7 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

I don't think it's system level thing as just Resogun has a very bad mix. The bass in that drowns out almost all of the other audio for me, it's really annoying.

#8 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

PS4 is set up via HDMI and Linear PCM through a receiver, same as my 360 and PS3. Had the same setup for years and the sound has always been fairly comparably and fine across PS3/360. PS3 would usually give me slightly clearer, louder audio, but still.

With PS4 though, I'm noticing the center channel audio is a bit scaled back and the bass is kind of ridiculous. Best example I've found is the first boss battle in Resogun. Overwhelmingly loud bass, even if I all but mute my subwoofer. The music in NBA 2K14, while not as ridiculous as the bass in Resogun, was also very bass heavy.

Killzone Shadow Fall seems fine though, great sound design.

Anyone else finding this to be the case with their audio?

No. If it was I'd just adjust my receiver.

#9 Edited by NTM (7263 posts) -

You do know that it depends on the game right? Once more games come out and you experience them more, you'll see that it's the same as current-gen. The thing you just explained is the same on current-gen consoles, where some games have more bass than others, it's about sound design. For instance, while Dead Space 3 sounds great, and The Last of Us sounds great as well, Dead Space 3 has way more bass than The Last of Us. It just depends on the game. I personally don't like when games overuse bass. A few months ago I changed out my 5.1 home theater system, with a 5.1 sound bar, and with the sound bar I can easily fix the bass.