• 96 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4188 posts) -

Facts.

1. Xbox One supports eight controllers playing together on the same console.
  2. PlayStation 4 is confirmed to support four controllers.
  3. PlayStation 3 supports seven controllers.
  4. Oh, and the Wii U can support four controllers and a GamePad siimutaneously

FIFA, Madden, NHL, and NBA Live. That's all I could think of. Even if you only have four friends and yourself, and want to play like a PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2. Well, you can't do it. When's the last time you and four other friends played together on the same console?

#2 Edited by Aegon (5473 posts) -

Boo-hoo

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3315 posts) -

Yeah I have never used more than 4 controllers on ps3 and that was to play rampart....

#4 Posted by ModernAlkemie (361 posts) -

Eff other people.

This is my video game box. Go get your own if you want to play.

#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3858 posts) -

If it supports 1 that's good enough for me!

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Its a game changer for AA batteries

#7 Posted by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

The most I use now is 2 and that is even rare. I love a LAN type of setting but it just doesn't exist anymore thus owning more than 2 controllers makes very little sense. I even cancelled my preorder for a second PS4 controller.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -

The last time me and three friends played on one console was the PS2. This doesn't really matter to me at all. As long as it supports 2, I'm fine.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

But how will I be able to... err... if I ever need to... and the... what about...

#10 Posted by spraynardtatum (2798 posts) -

Are there any games that support 7 controllers? I bet Lair did because why not.

#11 Edited by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

@shagge: Imagine all those AA Batteries you would need to buy to support 8 X1 Controllers.

#12 Edited by Sterling (2146 posts) -

Oh noes! Worlds are ending. The consequences will never be the same.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

@shagge: Imagine all those AA Batteries you would need to buy to support 8 X1 Controllers.

Buy ALL the Eneloops!

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

Even first year of university living in the dorm when everyone played games I can't think of a single time we ever would have played a game with more than 4 people at the same time, the only game I could see sucking with four or less people would be Johann Sebastian Joust.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4641 posts) -

I'm pretty sure if I had 7 people over none of us would be interested in the consoles.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9653 posts) -

When the fuck would I have 7-8 people playing on one console with separate controllers? Really?

#17 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

not since WW II has there been such a trav-

ah fuck it i know this is a troll post

#18 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

Possible reason:

The BT spec on the PS3 allowed for 8 devices, but the PS3 was considered one of those devices, so it only supported 7 extra controllers.

It's possible, although unconfirmed, that the touchpad on the DS4 takes up a spot on the BT chain independently of the rest of the controller, which would mean having 4 DS4 controllers in use would mean the PS4 sees 8 devices. The weird part about this would be if the PS4 is no longer considered to be a device on the chain, otherwise only 3 DS4 + touchpads would work simultaneously.

I'm sure the only way we'll know any of this for sure is once the system is in the wild. I've never had more than 2 other people on a PS3 at one time, so this doesn't really affect me, but I do know people who have played Fifa in 5-7 player configurations on the PS3 in their college dorm.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10864 posts) -

How many games are there that support more than four players on PS3? That X-Men arcade game port is the only one I can think of.

I don't think this is an issue. I think Microsoft is crazy for making that a thing on Xbox One. Some poor sap is going to buy seven extra controllers and then never use them all at once. Though, I suppose that would be his fault for being dumb.

#20 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4188 posts) -

A Royal Rumble would be dope on five controllers. I dunno.http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3038777/shawn-micheals-in-2006-royal-rumble-o.gif

#21 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

I am an octopus and I support the Xbox One.

#22 Edited by GreggD (4486 posts) -

Johann Sebastian Joust on XB1?

#23 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

@nonused said:

Octodad on PS4 should have 7 player local multiplayer.

#24 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

VR support trumps more than 4 controllers anyway. It is known.

#25 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

The only time I hooked up 6-7 controllers on my PS3 was for Bomberman Ultra a couple times.

#26 Posted by Krullban (1034 posts) -

RIP Sony

#27 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

@thephantomnaut: Nice try, but you won't sway my brand loyalty that easily.

#28 Edited by EXTomar (4641 posts) -

I guess the PS4 really is for the rest of us since XBO is only meant for those with large living rooms (with no furniture in the center) for 8 people to gather around a gigantic HDTV.

The PS3 could handle 7 Bluetooth devices but I am pretty sure that PS3 controllers only have 4 LED lights to indicate which controller it is assigned. How did we miss this scandal for so long???

#29 Edited by Corvak (983 posts) -

I got through the entire PS3 only owning one controller, I think i'll live. For 360, I have three. One wired one on my PC, one permanently plugged in through play and charge because I hate AA batteries. The other sits in a drawer and is never used.

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2499 posts) -

@nonused said:

Wait. Dad? What do you mean you're an octopus!?

#31 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

That last time that mattered to me was on the SNES, playing Super Bomberman and Fifa with a SuperTap.

#32 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1818 posts) -

People cant take a joke: The thread.

#33 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

This means you don't need 4 friends anymore.

#34 Posted by Korwin (2837 posts) -

Man, imagine the framerate of a 7/8 player split screen match :P

#35 Posted by Nictel (2402 posts) -

The last time I played with more than 4 people physically in one room on one console was let me think.. NEVER.

#36 Posted by jgf (383 posts) -

I just learned that PS3 supports more than 4 controllers. So nevermind :)

#37 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -
#38 Edited by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

People cant take a joke: The thread.

Pretty sure just about everybody is responding with mirth in their hearts.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

When the fuck would I have 7-8 people playing on one console with separate controllers? Really?

What if you want to play four games of Ikaruga at once and happen to be a spider? WHAT THEN!?

#40 Edited by Ezakael (930 posts) -

7 People? hell I barely even play with 2 most of the time. I'm so alone.

#41 Posted by Grilledcheez (3946 posts) -

GENERATION OVER, xbone wins!

#42 Posted by Killroycantkill (1400 posts) -

GG Xbone is teh winnars.

To be more accurate the PS3 supported up to 7 bluetooth devices, it's just 7 of those could be controllers.

#43 Edited by LeYcH (216 posts) -

I don't even have 4 friends never mind 7.
Does not affect me, do not care.

#44 Posted by Drebin_893 (2906 posts) -

Literally zero times.

#45 Posted by JasonR86 (9653 posts) -
#46 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

There goes the teledildonic orgy i had planned with myself.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#48 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

This just means I'm going to need a much bigger TV than my 55" when I eventually get an Xbox One in a year or two so it can handle 8-player split-screen games without making things impossibly small to see.

#49 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

Oh well, the max I ever use is 2.

#50 Edited by Abendlaender (2782 posts) -

So I finally can play 4v4 on one screen? Not since Goldeneye have I been this delighted.