#1 Edited by wilsouk (40 posts) -

From the UK, was really hoping this was going to chance. Apart from being morally reprehensible they really are missing a beat here pushing digital downloads. Why would anyone switch digital when you pay such a premium?

Eurogamer article

On the PS3 you could buy PSN credit from the US online, make a PSN American account, download the game, sign in to your UK account and play that game. This would give a staggering 50% on some games but is it worth the risk? This may not work on the PS4. Also, if it does, who knows if Sony will patch it out. Maybe multiplayer games are region locked to servers where game is bought, not console...

#2 Posted by MikeW1980UK (71 posts) -

Whenever I hear the chaps on the bombcast say they want an all download future, I'm more convinced to leave video games altogether.

#3 Posted by shinjin977 (760 posts) -

Yup! These companies have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before consumer can trust them to execute the "digital future" we heard so much about. I mean, its already here with steam but apparently only Valve can do it correctly.

#4 Edited by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

Yup, and NFS Rivals is going for £60 on the PS3 UK store at that. An absolute farce, and I don't care about conversion rates or whatever the fuck. If they want this all-digital future, then they better start charging their stuff at a more reasonable price.

Unfortunately, a lot of boxed retails games have been going for similar such prices as well -- online, at least. I would assume that's only because we're entering a new generation, and things will tide back to what we would expect once the dust is settled... If not, well, I guess that would at least finally push me over the edge in saving up for a gaming PC.

#5 Posted by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

But £32.99 for Angry Birds...thats a steal right? I mean the guys bought it for $50 dollars, saving of £2.11, and they seemed like they were having fun. Right?!

#6 Posted by Wikitoups (823 posts) -

Yup! These companies have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before consumer can trust them to execute the "digital future" we heard so much about. I mean, its already here with steam but apparently only Valve can do it correctly.

Last time I heard that steam still does dollars to euro prices instead of actual conversions.

#7 Posted by Humanity (9276 posts) -

What I strongly echo is the outrage at digital games costing more than their physical counterparts. I can't agree more that it is downright despicable to charge more for something that costs infinitely less to deliver and produces a higher profit for the company. As "old school" as having physical media is these days, I still like owning a box and manual (even though manuals have fallen from grace to such utter lows from days of thick, colored booklets with neat art and cool character profiles). For me purchasing a digital copy is a compromise - I'm not getting a box, a disc, a manual, just raw data - but hey I'm paying less. To pay more and receive, technically, less is simply mind boggling.

#8 Edited by Marokai (2981 posts) -

Well sure, but for that premium, you have the huge convenience of never having to enter a disc. Is that not worth it?

#9 Posted by wilsouk (40 posts) -

Next gen games being more expensive and EU losing out conversions wise is wrong and nothing new but is the shit we have to eat, because let's face it - they have us, none of us will vote with our wallet on not buy a console.

It's the mind boggling £15 mark up on digital.

Any interest in using a PSN account as above?

#10 Posted by spraynardtatum (2972 posts) -

That's moronic. Sorry European gamers that royally sucks :(

This kind of stuff needs fixed.

#11 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

UK/Europe getting screwed as usual!

#12 Posted by Humanity (9276 posts) -

@marokai said:

Well sure, but for that premium, you have the huge convenience of never having to enter a disc. Is that not worth it?

But that premium is costing the publisher a lot less money by cutting out the costs of stamping out discs, making boxes, printing cover slips, and shipping the things to retailers which also take a cut. Also I'm not even from the UK but 15 POUNDS for the sole perk of not having to put in the disc to install is outrageous.

#13 Edited by shinjin977 (760 posts) -

@shinjin977 said:

Last time I heard that steam still does dollars to euro prices instead of actual conversions.

I see, apparently even steam is not doing it right either. Further proving my point.

#14 Posted by Torabi (52 posts) -

Yeah the pricing is rather bullshit. In Sweden some stores (luckily there are cheaper alternatives) sell games for around $120! I remember my trip to the US. I was running around going "HUGE DISCOUNT ON EVERYTHING", because everything was around 30% cheaper to me even though it wasn't any sale or holiday stuff going on.

So thanks America, I got my GPU a lot cheaper.

#15 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

@humanity said:

@marokai said:

But that premium is costing the publisher a lot less money by cutting out the costs of stamping out discs, making boxes, printing cover slips, and shipping the things to retailers which also take a cut. Also I'm not even from the UK but 15 POUNDS for the sole perk of not having to put in the disc to install is outrageous.

@marokai is being sarcastic. S/he's staunchly pro-consumer rights in these discussions.

Still, part of me thinks "Ha ha, good for them" when I hear about europeans complaining about being unable to game the system. Then the other part of me acknowledges that I should support people who manage to get out of the ass-fucking of Sony/Microsoft digital storefronts.

Anyway, the reason Steam/Valve doesn't do this shit is because they're a privately held company. They don't have stockholders to appease and can do damn well whatever they want. The fact that we lucked out with Gabe Newell being a smart businessman is icing on the cake. Mark my words, when he goes away Valve/Steam is going to change in a bad way.

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3252 posts) -

Swedish PS4 PSN has games cheaper than retail, not counting what Activision EA and Ubisoft has priced. The problem in the entire world lies with Activision EA and Ubisoft. The problem in the UK lies with those three publishers and physical stores running a price cartel fighting any and all digital shopping offerings that arrive, even PSN.

..but how are they not touching Xbox Live?

#17 Posted by Gaff (1758 posts) -

"Our valued retail partners in brick and mortar stores are essential in highlighting our newest releases and in informing the consumer of their options in this new and exciting era of the next gen consoles. In preparing for this next generation, we've worked closely with our friends in retail across the globe to ensure that the product and its pricing fits its market and is tailored to their needs. We look forward to continuing this friendship with retail as this generation grows."

According to this Gamasutra article, for the fiscal year of 2012 retail sales still made up at least two-thirds of the sales of the big five Publishers, ranging from Activision's 64% to THQ's 93%. Retail is still hugely important to the publishers: if the publishers start undercutting them, retailers simply won't stock their products, leading to a loss in sales, and so on, and so on. Basically the same thing that has been happening in the US for ages now. What makes it even worse for Europe is that every country has one or two major retailers: the UK has Game (does HMV even still exist?), Germany the MediaMarkt or Saturn? And of course, there's still Amazon.co.uk / .de / .fr / .it / .es. That's it basically in a nutshell.

And as for Valve? Retail doesn't really give a damn about PC games. Can't resell it (those pesky Steam codes / activation codes to combat software piracy make secondhand sales impossible), the mainstream audience has basically forgotten that a PC can play games and those "PC MASTER RACE" gamers aren't susceptible for an upsell.

#18 Posted by Gaff (1758 posts) -
#19 Posted by tourgen (4503 posts) -

@wilsouk said:

From the UK, was really hoping this was going to chance. Apart from being morally reprehensible they really are missing a beat here pushing digital downloads. Why would anyone switch digital when you pay such a premium?

Eurogamer article

On the PS3 you could buy PSN credit from the US online, make a PSN American account, download the game, sign in to your UK account and play that game. This would give a staggering 50% on some games but is it worth the risk? This may not work on the PS4. Also, if it does, who knows if Sony will patch it out. Maybe multiplayer games are region locked to servers where game is bought, not console...

not saying I don't agree with you - I do, digital games SHOULD BE CHEAPER. But isn't what you are describing essentially VAT dodging? Or am I misunderstanding?

#20 Edited by ZHabermann (94 posts) -

@tourgen said:

@wilsouk said:

Eurogamer article

not saying I don't agree with you - I do, digital games SHOULD BE CHEAPER. But isn't what you are describing essentially VAT dodging? Or am I misunderstanding?

Technically, yes but the intention isn't to dodge VAT. The idea that video game prices in the UK, especially PSN prices ranging from £50-65 from the should-be-standard $60/£40 is entirely because of how much VAT (aka tax) games have, is not true.

Sony on PS3 were better where they at least had first party stuff at £40 or under which was sometimes cheaper at a game's launch then buying physical, but they've said fuck that I guess.

Also I blame Activison CoD fans because Modern Warfare 2 was the first game that was RRP £55 when it was $60 and everyone here still paid for it.

#21 Posted by frozensquozen (18 posts) -

@wilsouk: Using a US account works fine. I plan to buy all my games from the US digital store, because Australian digital prices are even worse than the UK's.