PS4 pack in Mic issue

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By drac96

I decided to try and stream now that I can actually connect to PSN. Since my USB Sony headset I bought for the PS3 doesn't work I decided to try out the pack-in mic. I went to the devices to make sure it was working properly. For some reason the mic volume was grayed out. When I jiggled the jack the volume stopped being grayed out.

For some reason the system only detects the mic if it's partially in the controller, but at no point will it output audio. So if the mic itself just broken, or is the headphone jack in the controller broken? Is this an issue with anyone else?

Edit: Well, audio comes out of it on my Ipod, so it's probably the jack in the controller, which really sucks

Edit again: Wow now I feel like an idiot. I had to jam it in as hard as I could. Somehow it wasn't in all the way, same with my other headphones. Hopefully now it'll be a little easier.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flippyandnod

You can use standard headphones (like from your iPod) or iPhone ear buds (including mic) or Samsung phone earbuds (including mic) on the DS4. So give some of those a shot.

A broken DS4 would suck a little, but at least you can just go buy another for $60 and use that while you return the broken one. It's not as bad has a broken PS4.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By drac96

Yeah, it's definitely the jack on the controller. Any pair of headphones only output sound when they're partially pulled out. I really don't want to shell out another $60 for a new controller, so I guess I'll just have to deal with no voice chat.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah I'm having the same issue, not really into forking out $60 just so I can chat. Oh well.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's the mic. What a piece of junk. Sticks out half way and to get it to work you have to twist and adjust it until it connects.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

@flippyandnod: I was using the Apple EarPods today and my friends were hearing really nasty feedback whenever I spoke, unfortunately. New pair, too.

avarix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not sure the Apple "EarPods" are compatible with the DS4. I've tried 3 known working pairs that when plugged into the DS4 they just produce a high pitch sound into the mic. The pack in headset and two different Sennheiser 680i's work completely normal. I'm going to pick up a second DS4 tomorrow so I'll be able to double check and see if its not broken in some way.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

I think its quality is on par with the pack in 360 headset outside of the fact I hate earbuds in general. I bought a low end Turtle Beach headset that was $20 and its designed in a similar fashion to the pack in 360 headset (single ear).

BeastMode1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same problem and I believe its the system I took my controller and my packed in mic over a friend house and it worked fine

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend has a broken mic or controller.

Most likely the mic. He could hear me, but I couldn't hear him. Even when he tried to send an voice message, it didn't record anything.

slowcarboost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slowcarboost

It's not the mic. It's the jack. I had the same issue so I first tried some Sony earbuds I have and got the same result. I then went out and bought another controller and the same thing happened with both the pack in mic and the Sony buds. I really can't believe that they just shipped all the controllers with a broken jack but that appears to be the case. If you push the word in hard then it works and if you remove it a bit it works but if it's just in normally, it doesn't work at all. I really can't believe this hasn't become a bigger issue as it seems to affect all controllers...or I'm really unlucky in finding two in a row with the same problem. I returned the 2nd controller. On another note, that mic is total garbage. No volume controls? Are you kidding me??

slowcarboost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I also didn't push the thing in all the way. I kinda feel like an idiot but not really cause you really have to jam the thing in there (that's what she said).

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The little blue switch on the mic is also pretty counter-intuitive so be sure to check that. I had it muted and didn't realize it until I slid the blue switch down. It seems to have pretty good audio quality despite looking so cheap.

slowcarboost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dionysis: so that blue switch is just for muting, right? No volume control on the mic?

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dionysis

As far as I could tell, it is only a mute toggle. I didn't see any sort of volume option, but I'm not exactly scoring any points for identifying switches on the PS4. The crevice eject button on the drive had me a bit confused for a few minutes as well. :p

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I used my Sony earbuds and they sound great. That pack in mic is garbage though. Doesn't work half the time. If you hit the home button with a mic plugged in there should be an option for volume control, had to do it last night.

slowcarboost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slowcarboost

Yeah they really cheaped it up with that mic. I saw the volume in the menu but who wants to have to do that every time they wanna adjust it?

Marvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marvan

The problem isn't the jack. You have to jam the mic in as hard as you can. Do this in a party so you can see when the microphone symbol lights up, and when you speak it should show that you are speaking. The thing that sucks about the PS4 is that there is no way to test your microphone; really a step back in my opinion.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You just gotta jam it in there like your taking that controllers virginity.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@marvan said:

The problem isn't the jack. You have to jam the mic in as hard as you can. Do this in a party so you can see when the microphone symbol lights up, and when you speak it should show that you are speaking. The thing that sucks about the PS4 is that there is no way to test your microphone; really a step back in my opinion.

Yeah, that tripped me up a bit too. You rally need to push; oh, well such is life with a new 'tight' console.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@marvan: I test my mic by clicking on one of my friends and recording a voice message them playing it back and seeing how the quality sounds.

enoteware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I am having issues with my PS4 controller. The only headset I can get to work fully with mic input and audio output is the new Apple iPhone 6 ear pods. I've tried with a Steel-series headset with mic input and set of Velodyne headset with mic input. Both of those work on my iPhone for calls, but for some reason don't work with the DS4. I have a feeling there is subtle misplacement of the sensors inside the DS4 that will throw it off.