• 134 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -

Son of a bitch! GameSpot: PS4 launching in November at $430? : O

Too high? Maybe, I think. Sounds like the Apple way, i.e. $230 ipod touch, right above the $200 price. What say you Bobomb?! Is Sony pulling an Apple, here? Would Gaikai functionality, and some solid apps, justify the price?

#3 Edited by Winternet (8028 posts) -

If it's 430 for the high end kit, it seems fine to me.

Edit: Nope, it's the cheaper one. The high end model is 530 according to the story. I don't know about that.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

wasn't the 360 $399?

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15034 posts) -

That sounds low actually... so yeah I'd easily throw down for that. I threw down $400 for my 360 at launch with a goddamn 20 gig hard drive. In compairsion paying $400 for these new systems feels like a deal.

#6 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

$399 Bare Bones

$499 High End

#7 Posted by Winternet (8028 posts) -

430 is an odd number though. They can't possibly choose that. It's so random.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9748 posts) -

$430 is an odd number. I would think it would be more like $399. Either seems completely reasonable if it is a big improvement over the PS3 (which why wouldn't it be).

#9 Posted by lebkin (331 posts) -

$430 screams literal conversion from yen to dollars, without any adjustment for US pricing standards.

#10 Posted by jacksmedulla (280 posts) -

I really hate all of the bullshit speculation that pops up right before the announcement of something big. $400 seems reasonable enough, although I find the extra $30 to be a bit odd. Quite frankly, it doesn't really matter what the price is, unless there is a shitload of must have exclusives that aren't available on PC, I doubt I will purchase one until the first price drop at the earliest.

#11 Edited by mikey87144 (1798 posts) -

Well if they're announcing pricing tomorrow that means that they're further along than we think and that E3 could just them focusing on interface and games. Anyway considering the Wii-U launched at $350 I'm not surprised it's $100 more.

#12 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -

That seems ridiculously low, for either console. I really hope they're eating a big loss on each console rather than just going cheap on the components. This next generation is likely to last as long as this last one - maybe even a full decade. I'm willing to spend more than $430 or $500 for ten years, for fuck's sake.

#13 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

That seems about what I thought it would end up being, although the more interesting part of the article in my eyes:

In addition, the source said "most" of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription.

#14 Posted by Tearhead (2186 posts) -

As long as it has software I want, it doesn't matter how much it costs. I can bitch and moan all I want, but if I see an amazing game I want to experience whatever price they ask for, I'll save and do what I must to get the thing.

#15 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I would pay $430 and I am even OK with a fee for online. But I hope they have a teired price for online. Maybe $20-30 to play online, maybe $30-50 for gameplay and movie streaming and $50-70 for todays standard of PSplus.

#16 Posted by Petiew (1353 posts) -

Most of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription.

Well, I really hope this bit isn't true.

#17 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I'd have to see the thing to tell you what I think it's worth. But that's pretty standard for a high end console in its launch year.

#18 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Sony NEEDS to get the price right if they want a change to win.

#19 Posted by jacksmedulla (280 posts) -

@joshthebear: Same here. I couldn't really care less about the price of the console, but if Sony ditches free online play and Netflix, I will have much less incentive to purchase the ps4 over whatever it is Microsoft is releasing.

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I like how the Gamespot article cites Kotaku, who cites an unnamed reliable source, FUCK YOU, you tell me who you are citing and I will decide if they are reliable. .

#21 Edited by MonetaryDread (2084 posts) -

I do not want the news to be true, but I feel like it is plausible. The real question I have is the cost of online services on the new system.

#22 Posted by BoFooQ (698 posts) -

I'm not sure why people make $400 seem like so much. while I'm not rich, we do live in world with $500 phones and $800 tablets and $1,200+ tvs, so how is $400-500 to much for a ps4? Even if we figure next-gen will not be as long as this generation we are still talking 5 years.

I'm still conviced the best way to go will be to get smallest one and replace the harddrive day one yourself. I'm hopefully it will be as easy as it was with ps3.

also I believe the story started with the supposed price in UK, than converted to US. I Bet, one sony says nothing about price tomorrow, and two, they are still figuring final prices themselves based on XBOX and other info.

#23 Posted by chilibean_3 (1660 posts) -

Seems about right. Either way I'll be waiting for a price cut. That's when there is actually a library of games to play and you've had enough time to decide if you even want the stupid thing.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (19025 posts) -

Not very surprising if it does end up being over $400.

#25 Edited by BaneFireLord (2955 posts) -

Sure, I'll pay $460 for a PS4 and a launch title. Sounds pretty reasonable.

#26 Posted by Bucketdeth (8028 posts) -

Although $430 isn't a lot, I really think Sony need to release it at $399, which is a less odd price, and more recognizable in today's market. Especially if they want to make the huge impact they are hoping for, they need to come out all guns blazing.

#27 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@petiew said:

Most of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription.

Well, I really hope this bit isn't true.

As do I. The PS3's been my go to console for latter half of the current generation primarily because of the fuller online feature set sans-subscription. As someone who only buys a handful of major console releases over the course of a year, I'd hate to get locked into the PS+ service for things like multiplayer or Netflix.

#28 Posted by Bollard (5694 posts) -

It's a rumour, so who cares.

But why are you even surprised at it being that much? If you want consoles that only cost $300 then the specs would be dreadful.

#29 Posted by Levius (1179 posts) -

I have a hard time believing that even Sony knows what the ps4 will cost, yet. Price is one of the biggest advantages a system can have over its rival, and I can't believe that Sony would hand Microsoft licence to outmanoeuvre them.

#30 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -

@chavtheworld: Mm. I guess I just don't like that $30 price hedge. I could just pay the taxes, with that instead. ~ I'll just wait until tomorrow. Cool..

#31 Edited by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@branthog said:

That seems ridiculously low, for either console. I really hope they're eating a big loss on each console rather than just going cheap on the components. This next generation is likely to last as long as this last one - maybe even a full decade. I'm willing to spend more than $430 or $500 for ten years, for fuck's sake.

A good question might be "are most people willing to spend that much?"

Sony doesn't care about what you are willing to spend, they care about what most people will spend. Last time, they learned that lesson when they released the PS3 at $600 and it wound up having a fairly rough launch because people didn't want to spend that much on a console.

#32 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Not really, for the rumoured specs I pay easily 500.

#33 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -

@donpixel: Like, where you live, that's how much you will pay cuz of prices? Or, you would pay $500?.

#34 Edited by Grimluck343 (1150 posts) -

Man Sony cannot fuck up the price again. $430 for the low end sounds like crazy talk.

#35 Posted by Pr1mus (3953 posts) -

It is an odd number. Like another pointed out, it sounds like a direct conversion from Yen to USD.

But anyway 400-500$ is good. New consoles have priced about that for 20 years. That they can still be fairly affordable despite all the inflation is great.

#36 Posted by VoidProd (106 posts) -

Not really unreasonable, but most people probably will think otherwise.

That said alot can change before E3. And as someone mentioned it sounds alot like a direct yen to dollar conversion. I''m guessing 399/499 is more probable. Ofcourse for me that price will go up by another 50-75% where I live, but it's still a fair price

#37 Posted by Jay_Ray (1111 posts) -

This made me go look up the 360 launch price. I had totally forgotten their was a $100 difference between the US and Canada prices, so as a Canadian $430 and $530 seem totally reasonable.

#38 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

$399 is a sexy price for that thing, but if they really want to go after the dude bro MW crowd they should launch with a dark green skinned one at $420.

#39 Posted by Aetheldod (3644 posts) -

What are you girls moaning about? I think $500-550 is a fair price for a new machine .... if any of this is true anyhow

#40 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4425 posts) -

@branthog said:

All the way this. I'll be really surprised if they end up going through with that price, maybe low end SKU?

EDIT: silly me, I actually read the article. Even the high end $530 seems low, I guess it's a sign on how bad they want to get out there for the next gen.

#41 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@donpixel: Like, where you live, that's how much you will pay cuz of prices? Or, you would pay $500?.

I would pay 500 in the US.

#42 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Sounds about right and also confirmed to be way too expensive for my broke ass.

At least this gives me a reason to wait for games to be on it. Until they announce LBP 3. Then fuck everything.

#43 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2264 posts) -

If only that was $430 AUD but Australia's dumb ass retailers will add an extra $200 because they are legal extortionists.

#44 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -

@cold_wolven said:

If only that was $430 AUD but Australia's dumb ass retailers will add an extra $200 because they are legal extortionists.

2006 Kaz tells your ass to get a 2nd job! :)

#45 Edited by PenguinDust (12571 posts) -

@lebkin said:

$430 screams literal conversion from yen to dollars, without any adjustment for US pricing standards.

This. $430 is too odd a price point. Items like this are sold in round numbers generally at the outset. After a price reduction they can drop to a $X.79.99 or $X.29.99. At launch it will be something like $400 ($399.99) or $450 ($449.99).

#46 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -
#47 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2264 posts) -

@cold_wolven said:

2006 Kaz tells your ass to get a 2nd job! :)

2013 Kaz tells 2006 Kaz that his E3 press conference is gonna be the butt of all Sony jokes and that $599 sucks ass.

#48 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
  1. I know that there's a journalism rule that you never report on anything with less than two sources, but I don't think this counts.
  2. Even if it did, it's Kotaku. That really counts as a reliable source?
#49 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4260 posts) -
#50 Edited by project343 (2835 posts) -

Sounds about like what I expected. It it was any less than $399.99, I'd be a little concerned.