PS4 price $430?! (GameSpot)

• 135 results
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Pretty much what I expected, although 430 is a pretty odd number.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That seems about what I thought it would end up being, although the more interesting part of the article in my eyes:

In addition, the source said "most" of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription.

Ridiculous. Free online is their only edge against Microsoft.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By NakAttack

$399 is a sexy price for that thing, but if they really want to go after the dude bro MW crowd they should launch with a dark green skinned one at $420.

I would totally buy that.

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By rotten_avocado

While I think the $430 (potential) price tag is reasonable, I won't be purchasing a PS4 launch day. I always wait to get the next-gen consoles because it takes a while to 1) Recognize hardware issues 2) Have access to a good library of games.

I never suffered from the RROD with the 360 because I waited until they got their shit together. Same with Sony.

I will say that the PS3's launch price was crazy ridiculous though.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting something in the 400 dollar range. That said I doubt Sony even mentions prices until E3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This seems reasonable.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wonder how much Sony will charge for their new PS+ service

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems reasonable. People saying price is too high need to remember that the PS3 was $600 at release. Hopefully they don't pull an xbox 360 and cheap out on the design, the RROD was such a shitty fiasco.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I'd be cool with it if the price was $420...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Morrow

Not as high as I expected. Still waiting for a price drop until I'll get it. There's still a lot of unfinished business on my PS3 :]

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got my XBOX 360 for $180 years ago from a super special deal. I'll just wait for another type of deal before I get a console during the next cycle.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey, if it's cheaper than what the PS3 launched at(6000 NOK here in Norway), I'll gladly buy it at launch.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By PerryVandell

@video_game_king: If I write story with less than three human sources for my news writing class, the highest grade I can get is a C. That said, you probably aren't going to get a lot of named sources willing to talk about undisclosed console information. The amount of trust they're giving this anonymous source is a little disheartening though. If you're going to publish what an anonymous source said, you generally want some additional proof to help you decide whether what they say is complete bullshit or not.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That seems good value for a modern device you'll conceivably use for years. Millions of people happily pay upwards of $600 every two years for a new off-contract smart phone, or somewhere close to $900 (on the low end) for a smart phone and contract. As long as the PS4 builds on the positives they've shown so far, I would be happy paying around $600 for one, so $430 seems kinda cheap.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

if this turns out to be true, thats totally reasonable.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

$430 is good price for those really wanting the new console. I am in "I'll wait for the price drop and decent games" -boat, and will stay on it until probably <300€ price.

That said, for me, console price is not the real issue, amount of games and their price is the bigger issue. $150 variation in console price could really insignificant in the long run compared to the cumulative amount of money spent on games. Because price of the games (where I live console~65€ new, PC~40€ new ) a $1000+ PC really is cheaper alternative to some.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Some guys have some crazy expectations for the cost of cutting-edge tech. That sounds exactly where I figured it would be. They won't launch at $599 again, but it won't be a whole lot lower than that either.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony need to advertise the shit out PS+ leading up to release. If there's a bunch of free games available at launch it'll justify spending a little extra.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$500 is reasonable for the highend. It's the first system to utilize GDDR5 as system RAM. That's fairly interesting (and expensive), and you can't even do that in a PC. I'm interested.

Yes, I know GDDR5 is just specialized DDR3. The interesting thing for me is that you just can't build a PC using that type of RAM as system RAM, nor would it even really matter on a PC, but if PS4 exclusives take advantage of the integration of graphics-specialized RAM, it could be really great. If it IS really great, yeah, I'll pay $500.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#70  Edited By ShinjiEx

The dude at the revieal said the PS4 will have a large HDD

hence only 1 version of PS4 is most likely hitting stores since HDD don't cost as much anymore

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No, it doesn't sound too expensive for a newly launched non-Nintendo console.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By leebmx

I think thats pretty reasonable tbh, (EDIT:allthough it is very likely to be a figure someone just plucked from between their arse cheeks) with whats in the console and how much it apparently costs. Some guys put me on to this article which says that "To illustrate the extent of the achievement, Nvidia's $1000 graphics card - the GeForce Titan - offers "just" 6GB of onboard GDDR5." - The PS4 has 8GB.

I am no expert on this stuff at all, but from what I have read I have no idea how they would make the console for so cheap without taking a huge loss on each one. I was fully expecting some kind of subscription offer like you get with phones. i.e. pay £100 up front and then £15 a month for 3 years or something like that.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjiex said:

The dude at the revieal said the PS4 will have a large HDD

hence only 1 version of PS4 is most likely hitting stores since HDD don't cost as much anymore

Considering how relatively cheap storage is now, it shouldn't be less than a terra.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#74  Edited By monkeyking1969

After thinking about it and considering the new hardware details, I think we are looking at a $450 system. I think they system is doing far more then I expected with streaming and with the 8GB RAM, so therefore we are seeing a system that is at least $400 and closer to $450.

We might see a deal where if you commit/contract w/ 2 years of PSN+ you can buy for $300. Sony seems to be committed to thinking different, and I see them embracing a contract style pricing. The question would be can Sony make a contract style price model easy to understand so that your average buyer would go that route. Since I plan to have PSN+ anyway I would without a doubt make that sort of commitment.

I certainly wouldn't mind buying it for $450, but since I'd be buying PSN+ anyway why not sign a contact to get teh system at a reduced price.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By hollitz

400 would be a fucking steal for what's inside that machine. I don't think you could even come close to that price point building a PC with similar specs. That being said, I don't think they can get away with selling it for anything more.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds fairly low actually, at least compared to what the PS3 retailed for.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"In addition, the source said "most" of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription. A name change is also in the works, the person said, claiming PlayStation Plus will be rebranded PlayStation World."

Well, guess I'm done with console multiplayer unless PS+ continues to be appealing for other reasons.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That doesn't sound too bad, retailers in Australia currently have it priced at $900 which is $100 less than the Australian price at launch. If the high end model was $499 in America, therefore being $100 less than the ps3 at launch, it would make a lot of sense.

But we shall wait and see, it's all speculation.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

$430 is reasonable, but the only way I'd pay $530 for a higher-end machine is if they bundled a free Vita with it or something.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By droop

Danish site has it priced at $700. You guys jealous?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Intentional leak to probe the market

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every take into account that this Article was posted before the Playstation conference and it uses 1 anonymous source for it's information. Seeing as we didn't hear anything about PS World at the conference I tend to be skeptical of how true this is. I feel Sony will adjust their price depending on Microsofts next move. I don't think they will sell multiple models unless the difference between them is Playstation Eye, hard drive space and possible free online bonuses. All Playstation 4's will have the same specs, it would be foolish to segment their audience and fuck over developers.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By valiantgrizzly

That's not too much. I paid €325, or $428, for a PS3 in 2009. I'd probably pay anything up to €499, possibly more. Fuck, I just paid €519 for my Galaxy S3. And I'm sure as hell going to have a PS4 for a lot longer.

Acdcrocklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Acdcrocklover

Might be wrong here but didn't the PS3 sell for $500, the price for the new Xbox I might add, also from the UK so I kind of don't know

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#85  Edited By Levio

@lebkin said:

$430 screams literal conversion from yen to dollars, without any adjustment for US pricing standards.

Sounds about right. Giantbomb is the only site I've seen where the editors remind people that the conversion price does not determine the foreign sales price.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hmm, I wonder what will justify the price for the higher end model? It will be pretty lame if its just a larger capacity hard drive.

People may bitch and moan about the pricing being too high, but Sony and MS aren't stupid. They see the sales of ipads and iphones and know what people are willing to pay for their devices. No one wants to be branded as the budget option when it comes to games. Both companies are demanding that the spot as the center of a living room and the price will be in parity with a television and stereo because they view themselves as equals.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I'm on mobile. When I saw the headline, I thought "Huh." Then I saw it was me. Ha!..

I think they're both gonna have $500 SKUs. I wonder how many higher -premium models are each gonna have, a year from now. Let's kick it to next E3.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jayzilla

why would i buy that when i can play all the games its gonna have on my pc?

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By TheKing

@jayzilla said:

It wouldn't be a Giant Bomb post without someone talking about how great PC gaming is.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Seems totally reasonable (a little low, if anything).

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By MiniPato

@joshthebear said:

That seems about what I thought it would end up being, although the more interesting part of the article in my eyes:

In addition, the source said "most" of the PS4's online features will mandate a premium subscription.

Ridiculous. Free online is their only edge against Microsoft.

Online multiplayer would most likely be free, but stuff like cloud storage, livestreaming, and storing large amounts of recorded footage could definitely mandate a fee for upkeep.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pr1mus said:

It is an odd number. Like another pointed out, it sounds like a direct conversion from Yen to USD.

But anyway 400-500$ is good. New consoles have priced about that for 20 years. That they can still be fairly affordable despite all the inflation is great.

Exactly. Anybody expecting $300 or whatever is insane.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to go on a whim and say that it will probably be $400 for bare bones and $500 for the higher up version. Although I wonder what the higher end version will have instead of the bare bones? higher hard drive or what?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Jams

xXx-ps-420-xXx

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MiniPato

@benpicko said:

@pr1mus said:

It is an odd number. Like another pointed out, it sounds like a direct conversion from Yen to USD.

But anyway 400-500$ is good. New consoles have priced about that for 20 years. That they can still be fairly affordable despite all the inflation is great.

Exactly. Anybody expecting $300 or whatever is insane.

Yeah, 300 dollars is the price they would bump down to later on, not a starting point. They need wiggle room so the 400-500 price range is expected.

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayzilla said:

lol.

Anyways, 400 to 500 dollars sounds about right for a new console from Sony, especially considering the hardware they're putting into it.. I was honestly expecting it to be more.

It still might be, This IS just a rumour after all.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@jams: @jayzilla: Yea, fuck those guys! What's the specs on Destiny?

Straight Edge PS4

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally appropriate price. If you thought the entry level model wouldn't be in the $400 ball park with a higher priced premium unit you were dreaming. And that price is fair in the light of the rumored contract based Xbox that in the long run will be much more expensive than either a full priced PS4 and next Xbox.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That actually sounds reasonable. If I had disposable income I would consider buying it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By Sooty

@animasta said:

wasn't the 360 $399?

And came out in better economic times.