#1 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet, but Wired has a good teardown video of the PS4:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation4-teardown-video/

I love how the power supply is modular and appears to be very easy to replace. Not sure if this was intentional, but SHOTS FIRED:

"It wouldn't be very convenient for our customers if there were a separate power supply unit, so we incorporate it in the body."

#2 Edited by AlexGBRO (296 posts) -

yeah nice video, the cool part is when ssd will be cheaper you could replace your hard drive with an ssd and get super fast load times, i wonder if sony will make a ps4 silm with an ssd at some point if that stuff costs

#3 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

PS4 has stuff in it, confirmed.

#4 Posted by Optix12 (615 posts) -

i was just thinking about teardowns on the way home today. Man that motherboard looks super slim (compared to a pc but i guess thats because pcs need slots to allow for changing of parts) Also now I see this im more interested in the Xbone to see what they do with all the seemingly extra space they would have with no power supply, more fans?

#5 Posted by erhard (403 posts) -

Looks like an electronic device.

#6 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

@optix12 said:

Also now I see this im more interested in the Xbone to see what they do with all the seemingly extra space they would have with no power supply, more fans?

Exactly my thoughts too. I never minded an external power brick, especially if it means less chance of overheating the console. I'm not really concerned, but it's wild that the PS4 has it inside the box, and is significantly smaller than the XOne overall.

As overheating seems to have been the 360's red ring problem, I have to imagine that all that XOne space is just fans, and fans, and fans, with some chips and a hard disk drive hidden among them somewhere.

#7 Posted by Optix12 (615 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@optix12 said:

Also now I see this im more interested in the Xbone to see what they do with all the seemingly extra space they would have with no power supply, more fans?

Exactly my thoughts too. I never minded an external power brick, especially if it means less chance of overheating the console. I'm not really concerned, but it's wild that the PS4 has it inside the box, and is significantly smaller than the XOne overall.

As overheating seems to have been the 360's red ring problem, I have to imagine that all that XOne space is just fans, and fans, and fans, with some chips and a hard disk drive hidden among them somewhere.

Yea, im kinda surprised that the PS4 seems to work nicely with just that one fan (as far as i saw that was the only fan there unless that powerbrick has some inbuilt minifans).

Also their previous message of being able to change the HDD seems harder than what they said. While yes it is just one screw it looks like you have to go to much more of an effort to get to the HDD in the ps4 (unless they have an inbuilt flap like some of the ps3 consoles)

#8 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@optix12 said:

I was thinking about this too, and I think it just comes down to Sony having a longer history of hardware development. They make stuff. Microsoft makes software, not machines. It's easy to think that everyone has the same access to manufacturing processes/technology/factories, but, evidently, they don't.

This isn't to say that smaller is better or that the PS4 is necessarily a superior box, but PlayStation's do generally live longer, healthier lives than Xboxes, so I don't think it's a stretch to think their machine is a little more optimized.

--

edit: huh, you know that video was way cooler than I expected. I've only built one PC, though I've opened up or part-scrapped dozens for work, and seeing a machine like, this - so intensely, perfectly put together to fit in such a small, efficient space, is pretty amazing. Looks so clean and tidy in there.

#9 Edited by joshwent (2207 posts) -

@optix12 said:

Also their previous message of being able to change the HDD seems harder than what they said. While yes it is just one screw it looks like you have to go to much more of an effort to get to the HDD in the ps4 (unless they have an inbuilt flap like some of the ps3 consoles)

Definitely not simple, but I think it may be easier than it seems from that video.

Nothing as cool as a little flap with a button like the 360, but it looks like you can pop just the bottom of the shiny side part off with a screw, and then slip out the HDD with another screw. Along with the pretty great (recent?) news that the PS4 can accept pretty much any SSD, as long as it's over 160GB, I believe.

#10 Posted by Mocca_Bear (62 posts) -

I thought that the ps4 didn't support data trimming, thus greatly deteriorating the life expectancy of the ssd drive.

#11 Posted by ikilledthedj (286 posts) -

How often do you change the hard drive? i don't see the big deal honestly.

Great looking box but and Sony always get the hardware looking fresh as.

This business of putting SSD's in consoles was proven a waste last gen and i see it being the same this time around, even tho they are now more pc based it really is going to depend if they are optimized to even be able to access the benefits of the drive

#12 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

This business of putting SSD's in consoles was proven a waste last gen and i see it being the same this time around, even tho they are now more pc based it really is going to depend if they are optimized to even be able to access the benefits of the drive

It's a mistake to compare this tech to last gen, as it's just entirely different. Of course, SSDs could prove to be just as useless, but in the best case, they are optimized and could have a big benefit on loads in game as well as the system software itself.

In my mind, this could be the one thing to make someone actually prefer a console to PC. If Sony could work out some deal to get inexpensive SSDs that would make loads on their games actually faster than PCs with HDDs, it would be big news.

Sadly, it's clear that at least up to now that isn't anything their focusing on. Potentially exciting for the future, though?

#13 Posted by ikilledthedj (286 posts) -

@joshwent I'm defiantly not ruling it out as a possibility. With every game being a mandatory install this gen i would hope that they have optimized the shit out of loading off a HDD.

#14 Edited by Gruff182 (857 posts) -

They must be pretty confident with the engineering, if they're making that public before launch.

Is there a similar vid for the Xbone? Like to see the guts on that, especially with an external power brick.

#15 Edited by UltraBoi (23 posts) -

Man that thing is so beautifully designed that I got a geek boner, Sony sure knows how to make hardware.

#16 Posted by Lava (667 posts) -

The insides of that thing look daaaaaaaamn good.

#17 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

Very cool. The inside of that thing is so clean, looks too simple to be true.

#18 Edited by CaLe (3985 posts) -

I dunno what is it. Just a green plastic with some metal attachment? Where is the graphics?

Takes USB?

#19 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Sexxxy, won't be getting one this year but I'm hoping sometime next year to pick mine up!

#20 Edited by flippyandnod (387 posts) -

The 360 red ring was not related to overheating. The problem was the chips were never soldered down to the board properly. MS' contract manufacturer was not familiar with how to solder large chips to the board using reflow and lead-free solder.

So the chips instead of being soldered down were just being held to the board by physical proximity. Any kind of jarring or expansion and contraction of the board due to normal heat over time would break it loose and it would stop working. This is why MS sent out so many replacement units that didn't work out of the box. They'd test it there, it'd work, so they'd box it up and ship it out. One hard landing or bounce across the FedEx truck floor and the chips were disconnected before you even received it.

See Bunnie's dye and pry here. You can see the balls on the chips just never were properly attached to the board.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=223

The term for this is a "solderability issue". And the Xbox 360 is one of the textbook cases due to how many people it affected and how much it cost MS.

#21 Posted by Marokai (2972 posts) -

It amazes me how clean, efficient, and elegantly put together the Ps4 is in comparison to the Xbox One, particularly considering it's the more powerful machine. The Ps4 looks what you would expect the slim model revision two years into a generation to look like.