#1 Posted by NorthSarge (246 posts) -

This current gen I own all of the systems, i've never been a fanboy or anything - just played on what worked for me the best. This gen (again i own Wii, 360, and PS3) i played my 360 the most by a huge margin. Sure the multiplayer was a big aspect, but really the XMB was just the worst UI for me on the PS3. I hated the way they did updates and i just generally disliked the whole thing, i thought it was a mess in dealing with online too.

My question - Has Sony said anything about changes in the UI?

Besides the sharing and some online friends stuff I'm not sure i've heard much else from them. Because that is one thing that is really holding me back from just preordering one right now is the fear that i will just hate the system - (I've barely played my PS3 - huge bummer every time i think about it)

Side note - Sony's press conference last night was unreal. If they didn't get people who play games pumped up for new consoles... then nothing will.

#2 Posted by Blue_Cube (164 posts) -

They've released a video teasing the UI. It looks pretty neat

#3 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

I'm going to miss the XMB just like I miss those snappy Xbox blades.

They said the updates were going to be handled by a separate chip when the system is in stand-by mode. I guess the rest is just a matter of getting used to the interface.

#4 Edited by NorthSarge (246 posts) -

@blue_cube: That video. the acting.... oh jeeze. Those ending faces say it all.

But it seems like they are at least making an effort to change the interface so it isn't terrible for playing online. I'm still not completely sold on it. I'm not sure if they are cutting around all of the BS someone would normally have to deal with or if things just flip seamlessly (it kinda seems like it does - with the knack thing - but that was one of the things i thought was actually kinda cool on xbone was the instant switching)

Also xbone is a god awful shortened name.

#5 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

@northsarge: They mentioned you'll be able to switch between apps, games, etc. back at the PS4 reveal without having to quit games and such. It's on the Vita so of course it'll be on the PS4.

That interface in the video above looks pretty nice. I'm ready for a new UI after 5 years of the XMB.

#6 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

People that complain about PS3 firmware updates are the ones that only turn on the system once every 6 months, so of course you gonna have a new update by then.

#7 Edited by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (713 posts) -

I like the concept interface shown in the video. It seems like a natural evolution, in a way, of the PSN store current look. That's one thing I really like about Sony this coming console generation, a lot of what they are doing feels like a natural evolution from they are doing at the end of this console's cycle.

#8 Posted by NorthSarge (246 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: Or anytime you buy a new game. Since i came into the PS3 game a little late pretty damn late - every game i bought needed an update. I spent the first couple days with the console updating all of the games. Silly considering all i wanted to do was jump in and play. I don't think its too much to ask for... it turned into a thing where anytime i wanted to play I decided it might be easier to just play 360, something that I know would be ready to play when i had some precious time to lay into a game.

It is such an incredible let down turning on a system all excited to play - and then are immediately hit by an update wall that takes entirely too long. The momentum and excitement towards playing the game that i may have only had a couple of hours to play, ruined. (This may be a bit exaggerated, but you get the point. I was spoiled with 360s readiness that the PS3's UI and Online functionality was just a gigantic letdown)

#9 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: Or anytime you buy a new game. Since i came into the PS3 game a little late pretty damn late - every game i bought needed an update. I spent the first couple days with the console updating all of the games. Silly considering all i wanted to do was jump in and play. I don't think its too much to ask for... it turned into a thing where anytime i wanted to play I decided it might be easier to just play 360, something that I know would be ready to play when i had some precious time to lay into a game.

It is such an incredible let down turning on a system all excited to play - and then are immediately hit by an update wall that takes entirely too long. The momentum and excitement towards playing the game that i may have only had a couple of hours to play, ruined. (This may be a bit exaggerated, but you get the point. I was spoiled with 360s readiness that the PS3's UI and Online functionality was just a gigantic letdown)

You could have turned off the network connection and played it offline without the updates, but what did you wanted? to play a broken game, to play online with a mismatched build? As far as i can tell it was all you on, except for the slow download speeds, that was a problem. (no excuses)

#10 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

As long as there's a "hit start, play game" option, I guess all the extra layers of social nonsense isn't a big deal.

On a side note, I was really hoping they would announce a new VIta UI. Get on that, Sony.

#11 Posted by Shankss (1 posts) -

@oldenglishc: Vita's UI is not bad. I'm not a fan of the animations and I hate that the backgrounds flash when you switch panels, but it's a good UI.

#12 Edited by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

If you don't get one, how can you flirt with that big tease Sarah?

#13 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

So am I getting this right, the playstation wave wont be making a return? because the wave was just fucking awesome and was a shame it never become a windows dream theme animated windows background

#14 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

I liked the XMB. It was pretty simple to use and elegant. Didn't have to dig through menu after menu to find what I wanted.

I haven't seen a full picture of the UI yet, but I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to pull up a guide or something and do everything outside of the game, i.e. message and connect to friends, explore the store, mess with your shared videos, play music, fiddle with options, etc. How intuitive and smooth this will be has yet to be known, but that's the sort of thing that I would expect.

#15 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Strange. I thought the XMB was great. I'm actually kind of apprehensive about them doing something different.

#16 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

@mandude said:

Strange. I thought the XMB was great. I'm actually kind of apprehensive about them doing something different.

Same. The XMB is an elegant, simple navigation system that isn't overwhelming like the ad-spammy UI that is XBL. I thought the PS3 won hands down this generation for user interface if for no other reason than they didn't bombard me with useless ass ads and shit I didn't need, they just dropped me right into the game column and let me go.

#17 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

@marcsman said:

Come on get real, she is already sleeping with Brian didnt you see his crazy Killzone skillz?

#18 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I kind of like what I'm seeing from that video. And what Sony is offering looks good too.

#19 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

The stye reminds of my old Sony Ericsson phone. Hopefully they have an option to make it less blue and more black.

Also. Bro. Killzone Bro. Bro dude bro bro Killzone Killzone Bro.

#20 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I'm just hoping that opening up the menu during a game is a snappy experience with this generation of consoles.

#21 Posted by YoThatLimp (1896 posts) -

I would really hope they would someone look at the UI before releasing it. The PS3 UI is the absolute worst.

#22 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

Just dont shove ads down my throat and ill most likely be happy, a few new game promotions are fine but that is all ill tolerate

#23 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

They've released a video teasing the UI. It looks pretty neat

Just looks like Google + which isn't bad but doesn't really blow me away. Also WIll is never gonna get in Sarah's pants.

@mandude said:

Same. The XMB is an elegant, simple navigation system that isn't overwhelming like the ad-spammy UI that is XBL. I thought the PS3 won hands down this generation for user interface if for no other reason than they didn't bombard me with useless ass ads and shit I didn't need, they just dropped me right into the game column and let me go.

Hey the 360 dashboard WAS really good for a while, the last couple years just got more and more and more overloaded, It's progress vs stagnation, MS changing things every year gave it the chance to get great then they blew it. while Sony stuck almost exactly the same over the years and was functional but bland the whole way, Sure they never got super annoying, but they never tried to achieve anything either.

#24 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

I'm sad to see the XMB go, it was consistent and straightforward. Easily my preferred gaming UI. Sort of like the Dualshock, it's never REALLY changed very much cause it's already the best general purpose controller.

The new one looks okay and functional, I'm just a bit sad to see the XMB leave.

#25 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

pause @00:19 that looks a lot like a tumblr page (sort of like the current xbox UI) and I fucking hate that shit. The sub-menus look fine but as we all know, getting to them can be a real hassle sometimes. The fuck is wrong with simple lists or grids modern UI designers?

#26 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

pause @00:19 that looks a lot like a tumblr page (sort of like the current xbox UI) and I fucking hate that shit. The sub-menus look fine but as we all know, getting to them can be a real hassle sometimes. The fuck is wrong with simple lists or grids modern UI designers?

Yep. That screen especially looked far too cluttered, and much worse than the current Xbox UI, IMO. I hope they get something better worked out before launch, or I hope it improves with time as the 360 did.

#27 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I liked the XMB. It was pretty simple to use and elegant. Didn't have to dig through menu after menu to find what I wanted.

Unless you needed to change something in the options because then God help you.

Seriously though I really disliked the XMB and preferred the Xbox interface pretty much the whole generation so I hope they can make some serious changes to make it look like a modern UI. Since it looks like I'll be getting a PS4 I really hope they can make an interface that is more appealing this time.

#28 Edited by Humanity (9023 posts) -

I just hope the Pissfour has a better interface than the mess that is the XMB.

#29 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

Man the XMB is so decisive... I always thought it was really easy to use.

The only great interface were the Blades, but then MS fucked it all up and changed it. I wish people had the option of changeable interfaces.

#30 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

The only great interface were the Blades, but then MS fucked it all up and changed it. I wish people had the option of changeable interfaces.

Can't really say that I agree. The current Xbox dashboard is by far my favorite.

#31 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I wanna see the interface but I can't stomach the cringe in that video

#32 Posted by Humanity (9023 posts) -

I always thought it just had too many menu's. It looks and acts like something designed by engineers rather than UI designers. The way you can edit your profile from two different places but you can only change the avatar from Account Settings instead of Edit Profile - weird design decisions like that.

#33 Edited by Blue_Cube (164 posts) -

I think the XMB is very easy to use and very to the point. I've never used the old 360 UI so I really can't comment on that but the new one isn't as intuitive to use as the XMB in my opinion and it took me quite a while to find my way where as the XMB was very clear to me from day one.

I'm not saying this is the case but it just seems that Americans are a bit biased towards the 360 simply because it's a console made by an American company. It would explain the relative popularity of the 360 in North America compared to Europe where the PS3 is the more popular choice.

#34 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

@marcsman said:

Come on get real, she is already sleeping with Brian didnt you see his crazy Killzone skillz?

God, Brian is such a dick. He's yelling the whole time, "Just buy this whole new game!" like it was nothing.

#35 Edited by kaos_cracker (577 posts) -

But, I like the XMB...

#36 Posted by Scampbell (496 posts) -

I would love to see a Metro-esk UI on PS3 and a generally more customizable UI.

Instead I get an awkward 'album' system.

#37 Posted by PatODay (189 posts) -

Just dont shove ads down my throat and ill most likely be happy, a few new game promotions are fine but that is all ill tolerate

Seems like they're going going to be using the share feature as a way of possibly tempting people to buy the games their friends are playing, which if that's the case is kind of a cool concept. I think Sony will be much better about not putting ads up for people who are already paying for the PS+ service.

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15901 posts) -

Dat acting...

At least the UI looks pretty sleek XD.