PSA: DualShock 4's not street-dated

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Didn't see this posted yet here, but obviously lock if old.

Ok so earlier I was browsing GAF when I came across this thread. Apparently this guy had a DualShock 4 and was showing it off via an unboxing video. A lot of people in the thread then started to mention how PS4 accessories were not street-dated. This obviously includes the DS4, and I was pretty skeptical that they would be out this early. Fast forward to my drive home from school later in the day. I decided to stop by my local Gamestop to see if this was true. The girl working behind the counter was surprisingly helpful, stating that DS4's were in fact not street-dated, and that they will start selling them as soon as they get them. I followed up on that part, asking when they would have them, and she looked up the shipments to that store and said in all likelihood they will have them and start selling them at some point next week.

Long story short: If you want to try the DS4 and there is no fancy Sony thing set up near you, or is you just want one to use on your PC before your PS4 shows up (this is my situation) be on the lookout for stores stocking and selling them very very soon, if they aren't already.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey that's my unboxing video! I HOLD THE CONTROLLER WRONG EVERONE GET ANGRY! The internet is great :)

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chrissedoff

But what about the red and blue DS4s, my friend?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last I checked those didn't have any sort of date. It is a shame too, because I would totally use that red one!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

@chrissedoff said:

Last I checked those didn't have any sort of date. It is a shame too, because I would totally use that red one!

No flashing LED's and an Alien head logo, no sell..

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Accessories usually aren't street dated. But thanks for the heads up anyway, can't hurt.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might get one for my PC actually.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unboxing videos are the worst http://youtu.be/cXcG8hzaxeM

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Deranged

Just picked a DS4 from my local EB games (Gamestop for everyone else). Haven't tried it out yet but they let me hold it in store and it feels SO much better than DS3. Sticks are tighter, triggers have a better lip to them and it's a wider controller and fits in your hand better.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might get one for my PC actually.

Out of the box it doesn't really work for PC, unless you use something like xpadder.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By chiablo

Is there a group of people like Motion in Joy who are working on PC compatibility, or is it too early for such a group to exist? I'm really really interested in the controller for PC use, and I'm hoping someone is working on making the touchpad functional.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HoboZero
chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobozero said:

@chiablo: Supposedly it won't require any 3rd part drivers like Motion, etc, except for advanced functionaility like the touchpad (assuming the touchpad works on PC)

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/386257948487340032

In reading through that NeoGAF thread, it looks like everything works and is recognized by Windows except for tracking on the touchpad. Even the touchpad click counts as a button press. This is great news and will probably push me into buying one.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15 MattyFTM  Moderator

I heard somewhere (probably reddit) that the first party games aren't street-dated either. They seemingly haven't arrived in stores yet, but when they do you should be able to buy them. Obviously they'll not be as much use as the controller, but you'll be able to stare at the box art to your hearts content.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shinboy630
No Caption Provided

Well, stopped by a different GameStop near school, and now I have this thing. Will plug it into my PC and report back!

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so I got it working on my PC! If you are having issues, hit the windows key and type in "set up USB controllers" or something along those lines. Then once you see the controller (it will just show up as "Wireless Controller" hit Calibrate and then reset to default. This should set everything up the correct way and games should now recognize it as a gamepad. You will still get 360 button prompts, but hey, it works!

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who is using on PC - is it connected via bluetooth, or USB cable?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By artelinarose

All I really want to know is does the light bar turn on when plugged into a PC. That's all I want to know ;_;

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I really want to know is does the light bar turn on when plugged into a PC. That's all I want to know ;_;

It does, it is orange (at least it is for me). It also doesn't really show up (ie, reflect) on either of my monitors

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bitcloud said:

Ask us (almost anything) about the DS4. I've been playing PS3 games with it, some work, some don't.

I'd totally buy a DS4 just to play on my PS3/PC, but some games not working makes that idea less than exciting.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cloudymusic

Just picked one up today myself; GameStop had whole shelves full of them. Wasn't able to get Windows 8 to see it in the 3 minutes that I spent, but I'll try some of the stuff that others have posted later on to see if that helps.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By TheHT

@bitcloud said:

Ask us (almost anything) about the DS4. I've been playing PS3 games with it, some work, some don't.

Which games have worked and which haven't?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@chiablo said:

Is there a group of people like Motion in Joy who are working on PC compatibility, or is it too early for such a group to exist? I'm really really interested in the controller for PC use, and I'm hoping someone is working on making the touchpad functional.

I always considered Motioninjoy, as much as I love it, a response to lack of official support from Sony to release the API and/or drivers. If they've shifted how they handle that stuff, then it's likely such efforts would be unnecessary. Yoshida has said to wait until launch to hear more about this particular thing but people have made it known to him, Adam Boyes, and others that this is a thing people care about. I would actually be shocked if drivers and native support options for games was treated the same.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@bacongames: It seems prudent to support it at least enough to easily function like the 360 controller. Maybe don't dump loads of money getting PC devs to change all their controller images to a DS4, but make it work well. Hell, if they do the work to make the touchpad actually function like a laptop touchpad, that right there would be a huge leap ahead of the xbox gamepad.

Hopefully they'll jump on it. I'm sure they aren't oblivious to how PC gaming really took off these past few years.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one today too when I picked up Arkham Origins.

Ofcourse it doesn't come with a USB cable and it's not the same as the one used for PS3's and the one I have is somewhere in a shed.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ofcourse it doesn't come with a USB cable and it's not the same as the one used for PS3's and the one I have is somewhere in a shed.

You mean it uses a proprietary USB cable instead of the universal one that works with everything? Fuck.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shinboy630

@zeik said:

@somedelicook said:

You mean it uses a proprietary USB cable instead of the universal one that works with everything? Fuck.

Not at all. It just uses micro USB (like a lot of phones/tablets) instead of mini USB (like the DS3 and almost nothing else that I can think of off the top of my head). I am using a generic-ass Staples brand cable that I usually use for my phone charger.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zeik

@shinboy630: That still kind of sucks. I have like 5 mini USB cables, but I don't think I even own a micro.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@shinboy630: That still kind of sucks. I have like 5 mini USB cables, but I don't think I even own a micro.

Micro USB cables are really common and pretty cheap, so you could always just pick one up for not a lot of dollars. I am surprised you don't have one to be honest. Most people I know have way too many.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630 said:

@zeik said:

Micro USB cables are really common and pretty cheap, so you could always just pick one up for not a lot of dollars. I am surprised you don't have one to be honest. Most people I know have way too many.

I guess I live in opposite land, because just about everything I own requires a mini USB, not a micro.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zella

Picked up a DS4 as well, was recognized fine but the face buttons(X,O,etc.) aren't registering as their 360 counterparts, for example square is registering as the confirm button(A on the 360) rather then X registering as that. Everything else works great though. Gonna see if I can get it working over bluetooth later.

Edit: Alright haven't been able to get bluetooth to work or any xinput wrapper to work. Just gonna wait for more dedicated stuff is put out for it rather than trying to get it to work with utilities meant for other gamepads.

Edit 2: Seeing a couple videos and it looks like the light stays orange for the entire time the controller is connected to a pc, though mine only flashes orange when first connecting. It is still being shown as connected and I've used it to play DMC. This just me or does anyone else have this? Running windows 8.1.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I grabbed one, but it doesn't seem to be working properly on my PC. The D-Pad doesn't register at all, for one... it recognizes it's being pushed when I do it in the gamepad settings in the control panel, but actually pushing them doesn't do anything. Hrm.