PSN & paypal

Fishchutney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.

A little over a week ago my PSN account (UK) was suspended/banned. I received no emails explaining why this happened so I phoned up customer service (terrible 30-45 min wait every time) and was told paypal made a chargeback for two payments to Sony for just over £50. I contacted paypal and was told they couldn't reverse the chargeback and that was that.

The play station customer service agent told me I'd have to buy psn vouchers to cover the charge back, I did this over the phone when he asked me as I bought them from game.co.uk. This was over a week ago and still my account is banned and when I phone up the agent says it's been escalated and he can't find out what's happening.

Im probably being impatient but I can't help it when I feel I have done nothing wrong and done what they have asked to rectify the situation.

The fact I have a copy of shadow of mordor sat on my desk unplayed due to this has nothing to do with my impatience... :D

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Sounds like a shitty situation. Was the paypal purchase made with a credit card or bank account tied to your paypal account, or was it from an outstanding balance already on the account? I've never had an issue with Paypal on PSN but I don't have a bank account or credit card tied to it.

Fishchutney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: my bank account was tied to my paypal. I was in the middle of a dispute with PayPal about something else a few weeks ago and when they charged back the payments to Sony they basically told me not to worry and consider

The money compensation for messing me around during my dispute with them. Thing is I knew the money wasn't their's to give so I left it in the account, a week or so later Sony is like where's our f'ing money!

I'm not helping myself reading the horror stories of people having their accounts deleted permanently and losing £100's in purchases.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard this happening. Basically, if there's a cargeback on your PSN account (which PayPal has been known to do without asking you), Sony Network Entertainment (who runs PSN) will permanently ban your account. And they're completely separate from the PlayStation customer service, so it used to be that was it - they'd just tell you there was nothing they could do. I guess the complaints have gotten to Sony, so there are some procedures in place, but it's ultimately up to the Network guys to unban your account, and customer service won't be able to tell you anything unless they hear back from them.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PSN seems to be a nightmare when it comes to payment details. More than once I've had a negative experience attempting to update my credit card information over there. Whatever filters they have on submitting payment information seem to be hilariously over-sensitive.

I eventually just gave up and started buying PSN wallet dollars on Amazon and inputting those codes manually. Not ideal, but it works far better than whatever catchall that Sony's built into their systems.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds like a shitty situation.
but can i ask, why use paypal?
i mean why not a credit card? unless your worried about identity theft, and that is not likely and if it happens often it gets covered by either playstation or your bank. or unless your not old enough to get one.
or in another case why not the psn wallet cards either physically or online so you get the code?
the reason i question this is just because i have had problems with paypal myself before and i have heard a lot of issues with it. granted its a really small drop in a really big pound but it often seems to fuck up a thing just the right way to make some small nightmare.

but it sounds like it will end up getting fixed, your ban that is. since sony has gotten better with this stuff just like @blacklagoon said more or less. things just always takes longer then you want them to.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@rorie said:

PSN seems to be a nightmare when it comes to payment details. More than once I've had a negative experience attempting to update my credit card information over there. Whatever filters they have on submitting payment information seem to be hilariously over-sensitive.

I eventually just gave up and started buying PSN wallet dollars on Amazon and inputting those codes manually. Not ideal, but it works far better than whatever catchall that Sony's built into their systems.

Huh. I had a similar experience and thought it was just me forgetting the right address or something off my credit card information. Good to know it's not just me. Well, you know what I mean.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mosespippy

@grillbar: For me I don't have a credit card. For at least part of the year I live an hour away from the nearest store that has PSN wallet cards, and that store doesn't carry $20 cards anymore. With paypal I can make the exact payment and not have a couple cents left over on my PSN account. You ever have like $.18 left on your account? Eventually they start sending you messages saying "Hey, spend that money. Here's a bunch of cheap stuff you might be able to buy."

AndyMc1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a very similar situation on microsofts side - although they dont ban your account it just acts as if live has expired and spits out some random error code , where the fix is going onto a microsoft billing site I didnt know existed and deleting the form of payment. Hope stuff like this gets cleaned up as this something as the years have went forward have not improved much outwith having to buy a currency

Fishchutney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fishchutney

@grillbar: to be honest I only used paypal a few times earlier in the year to try it out. Eventually I hope this will be sorted and when it is done I will stick to psn cards. Amazon & game.co.uk send them pretty quickly via email.

I'm gonna give them until the end of the week and see. I don't think I can face anymore phone calls to support...