• 80 results
#51 Posted by shinjin977 (759 posts) -

oh man. Is this going to be a new thing now? Going online to complain about download speed on the busiest time of the year and then indignantly call everyone a fanboy when called out? What has this console war done to this forum?

#52 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1118 posts) -

@shinjin977 said:

What has this console war done to this forum?

There is no console war here, just some dude blaiming PSN for a wifi connection. PSN has always been slow but not unacceptabily slow. It's the digital games being goddamn huge, 48 GB to download Uncharted 3?

#53 Posted by Sterling (2284 posts) -

I have crappy download speeds also. But I have a 3MB connection. So I know why its slow for me. Stupid ISP.

#54 Edited by Zeik (2427 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

If you click on his profile, in his posting history;

@supersambo said:

Hey,

So I just opened my PS4 and set it all up, but when I got to the wifi part my router didnt show up. I manually input all the details and I was on my way.

The update downloaded and the ps4 shut off and on and off and on for a bit, then when it comes to play, the PS4 still cannot find the router, and says that it can't find the IP address when I manually input it...

Any ideas? Thanks.

So he's on wi-fi, complaining about download speeds? I acknowledge wifi has improved a lot over the years but you still can't compare it to wired.

Even wi-fi shouldn't take anywhere near 40+ hours to download something. I've downloaded stuff with both a wired and wi-fi, and while wired is quicker, it's definitely not that much quicker. In fact, considering my wi-fi tends to hover around 2-3 bars it's still pretty fast.

#55 Posted by Sterling (2284 posts) -

@zeik: Yes, but he also said he is streaming something in HD on netflix while downloading this. So the whole thing is just a waste of everyone's time.

#56 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1118 posts) -

@zeik said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

If you click on his profile, in his posting history;

@supersambo said:

Hey,

So I just opened my PS4 and set it all up, but when I got to the wifi part my router didnt show up. I manually input all the details and I was on my way.

The update downloaded and the ps4 shut off and on and off and on for a bit, then when it comes to play, the PS4 still cannot find the router, and says that it can't find the IP address when I manually input it...

Any ideas? Thanks.

So he's on wi-fi, complaining about download speeds? I acknowledge wifi has improved a lot over the years but you still can't compare it to wired.

Even wi-fi shouldn't take anywhere near 40+ hours to download something. I've downloaded stuff with both a wired and wi-fi, and while wired is quicker, it's definitely not that much quicker.

It shouldn't, but then again internet infrastructure in america is bad from what I've read. Could be anything on his end, or still actually PSN.

#57 Edited by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Run a speedtest and tell us what you get. If your internet is shit then we kinda don't care about your complaining.

Assuming its reasonable, you might wanna try port forwarding your PS4 and connecting it via wired instead of wireless.

There are issues some people can have with ports preventing them from getting proper speeds from PSN, i've also heard of people using their computer as a passthrough for the internet and reporting speeds 2-6x faster than they were getting. I haven't really had any problems with my downloads so I've never tried it, but it might be worth looking into if your speeds are not what they should be.

Also you know, its right after Christmas and you're probably downloading during peak hours. So maybe just deal with it or do something else for a while. PS4 can download your update for you while you sleep.

#58 Edited by Zeik (2427 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw: Unless he lives in the boonies I doubt his area infrastructure is any worse than mine.

#59 Edited by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

@sterling said:

@zeik: Yes, but he also said he is streaming something in HD on netflix while downloading this. So the whole thing is just a waste of everyone's time.

This has blown up but if you read, I was downloading brothers at the time on the xbox and it was fine. All wifi. As soon as I come to the ps4, it becomes a joke. Only difference? PSN.

#60 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

It seems like there are a lot of crazy people here, with a purpose I dont understand. I will go through and try to follow the people who have tried to help.

Thank you for all those that have tried.

#61 Posted by MetalBaofu (1383 posts) -

I don't know what your problem could be. I haven't downloaded much on PS4, yet, but what I have downloaded has been fine.

@sterling said:

Have you used streaming Netflix before? It's impact on other downloads is pretty negligible in my experience.

#62 Edited by churrific (479 posts) -

@supersambo: If you were asking for help, you should've...you know...asked for it in your first post, instead of coming in here and doing nothing but shtting on a service that most ppl find satisfactory. Can you at least do a speediest on your ps4 for us and post your results?

#63 Edited by Addfwyn (1922 posts) -

I feel PSN is WAY better now than with PS3. I did an 8 GB d/l in 2 hours on wi-fi, which is acceptable for me during such a busy time of year. I would like to see that get faster still, I get way faster on my computer's wifi, but its still pretty acceptable given how high-traffick a time it is.

#64 Posted by JCole360 (25 posts) -

compared to my PS3 the PS4 DL speeds have been a massive improvement for me. the only thing that i find unacceptable is that they still need to pull the store down every time it needs maintenance.

#65 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Never had a problem with PSN download speeds.

Then again I use a wire for connection because I'm not insane.

#66 Posted by JBG4 (414 posts) -

Slow speeds=slow downloads

My fast connection=fast downloads

I have a fast connection, therefore, my PSN is fine. Simple...

#67 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -

Wired > Wireless

#68 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -

I keep hearing about how terrible the download speeds on PS3 are, but I've never had any issues with that on PSN in EU. The install times are ridiculous though, it doesn't help much that I can download 12 GB in 8 minutes when the install takes 2 hours to complete. I hope installs are handled differently on PS4.

#69 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3318 posts) -

I feel like I have super speed on my PS4. Downloaded every Demo in the store last night. Very fast. Purdy sweet. My PS3 is wireless upstairs and to say that it even has a connection speed would be an overstatement of fact. Tried syncing Trophies and it took 10 minutes to get to 10%.

#70 Posted by natedynamic (65 posts) -

OP is BS.

I meant to be more eloquent, but frankly these threads are just getting old.

#71 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

On Christmas day I got a new HD for my PS4. I also took my PS4's HD and put it into my PS3. As a result I had to re-download everything, and it was extremely apparent just how improved PSN is on the PS4 with regards to speed. I basically downloaded Battlefield 4, DC Universe, Killzone, and Resogun before my PS3 could finish downloading Borderlands 2.

They still have stability to work on, which will only get better.

#72 Edited by DualFace (1 posts) -

Does anyone really have any sympathy for people who aren't using a wired connection for gaming/downloads?

I sure as hell don't.

#73 Posted by ripelivejam (3953 posts) -
#74 Posted by Steadying (1234 posts) -

PS4 download speeds have been pretty okay for me so far (haven't downloaded anything from there in a few weeks, though).

PS3 download speeds were TERRIBLE.

#75 Posted by billymagnum (826 posts) -
#76 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

@dualface said:

Does anyone really have any sympathy for people who aren't using a wired connection for gaming/downloads?

I sure as hell don't.

I don't have an issue with download speeds but my PS4 is hooked up to my living room TV and I'm not gonna have a cord going across my apartment to reach the internet. So I think it's perfectly understandable to not have a wired connection.

#77 Posted by Zeik (2427 posts) -

@dualface said:

I sure as hell don't.

I had to use a wireless connection for years because there was no outlet for a wired connection anywhere near the room I played my consoles. When I finally got it installed it required me to manually feed the cable from my downstairs and drill several holes throughout my house to feed it into the proper room, which is not something you just do on a whim. So yes, I absolutely have sympathy for people who don't use wired, because most likely it's because they don't have a choice.

#78 Posted by Grillbar (1828 posts) -

the only problem i have with the psn for ps4 is for some reason i did not get my ps4 at launch due to the store fucking up, i have ps + but cant go in and tag the free ps4 games. and i will for some bullshit reason not get my ps4 untill febuary meaning ill miss a bunch of free games i should have gotten. not psn's fault but still, would be nice if you maybe could "tag" is somewhere else.

#79 Edited by Zeik (2427 posts) -

@grillbar said:

the only problem i have with the psn for ps4 is for some reason i did not get my ps4 at launch due to the store fucking up, i have ps + but cant go in and tag the free ps4 games. and i will for some bullshit reason not get my ps4 untill febuary meaning ill miss a bunch of free games i should have gotten. not psn's fault but still, would be nice if you maybe could "tag" is somewhere else.

You can. If you go to their site on a web browser you can purchase games and tag them for later download. Even if you don't ever download them they will still count as purchased. I did that with Resogun before I got a PS4.

#80 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

@grillbar: Technically if you have PS + You can download the games through the a web browser. Have you tried signing up for PS + without the PS4 or does it require a registered system first?

Also, I am willing to bet Resogun will be on there for 3-4 months at least and besides that you aren't missing anything huge.

#81 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

The PS4 does do some weird stuff in regards to networking.

I have my PS4 and PC right next to each other, both wired into the same hub.

PC speed test results from speedof.me 42mbs down 9mbs up.

PS4 results, 12mbs down 2.1mbs up

This isnt a situation unique to my console either, tons of people have performed the same tests and have seen a similar set of results. The internet is full of theories as to why we see this performance difference.

#82 Edited by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -