• 64 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@darji said:

@rebgav said:

Why would Sony care about making those games exclusive? I doubt that anyone is buying an Xbox for it's rich library of Jrpgs, so unless those games were headed to the 3DS....

Because of Japan and Europe normally likes JRPGs as well^^

Follow me on this journey;

Jrpgs come out on the Playstation because the Playstation is the dominant platform in the regions where Jrpgs sell well. Nintendo has no install base, Jrpgs don't tend to do well on Xbox. So why would Sony need to pay for exclusivity? Chances are that those games are/were coming to the PS4 anyway and Playstation already has the bulk of that audience. Sony would be paying for something that they basically already have.

Why? Because Microsoft could do the same thing they tried last generation. Buy these JRPG exclusives to hinder Sony's success. Microsoft did a lot of this stuff. Hell even HD-DVD was only there because they could stop Sony's success for a limited amount of time. That was the only reason HD-DVD existed.

#52 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@darji said:

@rebgav said:

@darji said:

@rebgav said:

Why would Sony care about making those games exclusive? I doubt that anyone is buying an Xbox for it's rich library of Jrpgs, so unless those games were headed to the 3DS....

Because of Japan and Europe normally likes JRPGs as well^^

Follow me on this journey;

Jrpgs come out on the Playstation because the Playstation is the dominant platform in the regions where Jrpgs sell well. Nintendo has no install base, Jrpgs don't tend to do well on Xbox. So why would Sony need to pay for exclusivity? Chances are that those games are/were coming to the PS4 anyway and Playstation already has the bulk of that audience. Sony would be paying for something that they basically already have.

Why? Because Microsoft could do the same thing they tried last generation. Buy these JRPG exclusives to hinder Sony's success. Microsoft did a lot of this stuff. Hell even HD-DVD was only there because they could stop Sony's success for a limited amount of time. That was the only reason HD-DVD existed.

Any Microsoft attempt to bring major Square Jrpg franchises to the xbox exclusively would be about as successful as HD-DVD, I suspect. Again, the market for those games is on Playstation - buying it out would be horribly expensive for another platform holder.

#53 Posted by TheHT (11976 posts) -

don't care about kingdom hearts anymore, just show me more versus damnit.

i really hope they rename it too.

#54 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I find it hard to believe, if only because of the amount of money Square are losing, precisely because of these kinds of stupid decisions. They should be trying to release their games on as many systems as possible to guarantee the biggest install base, not playing favourites, limiting sales and souring people from buying any potential sequels.

In other words, yeah, I'm sure this is true.

#55 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@darji said:

@rebgav said:

@darji said:

@rebgav said:

Why would Sony care about making those games exclusive? I doubt that anyone is buying an Xbox for it's rich library of Jrpgs, so unless those games were headed to the 3DS....

Because of Japan and Europe normally likes JRPGs as well^^

Follow me on this journey;

Jrpgs come out on the Playstation because the Playstation is the dominant platform in the regions where Jrpgs sell well. Nintendo has no install base, Jrpgs don't tend to do well on Xbox. So why would Sony need to pay for exclusivity? Chances are that those games are/were coming to the PS4 anyway and Playstation already has the bulk of that audience. Sony would be paying for something that they basically already have.

Why? Because Microsoft could do the same thing they tried last generation. Buy these JRPG exclusives to hinder Sony's success. Microsoft did a lot of this stuff. Hell even HD-DVD was only there because they could stop Sony's success for a limited amount of time. That was the only reason HD-DVD existed.

Any Microsoft attempt to bring major Square Jrpg franchises to the xbox exclusively would be about as successful as HD-DVD, I suspect. Again, the market for those games is on Playstation - buying it out would be horribly expensive for another platform holder.

Again it is a tool to slow Sony down. HD-DVD was also such a attempt. Microsoft never believed to win this Format war in the first place. It was just a tool to slow Sony down. Microsoft has Money and this is what they easily can do with it. Letting games and sales die just so they can slow down Sony.

#56 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@darji: I'm pretty sure Microsoft DID expect/want HD-DVD to be the winning format, they wouldn't have poured so much time and money into something just to "slow Sony down". The only reason blu-ray won out, was because they bought the exclusive rights to.. practically every movie studio in existence. It wasn't the favourite (necessarily), they just made it impossible for HD-DVD to continue existing.

#57 Edited by kishinfoulux (2555 posts) -

Wow two vaporware titles are PS4 exclusives? Exciting. Toss Last Guardian in there too.

#58 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@darji: I'm pretty sure Microsoft DID expect/want HD-DVD to be the winning format, they wouldn't have poured so much time and money into something just to "slow Sony down". The only reason blu-ray won out, was because they bought the exclusive rights to.. practically every movie studio in existence. It wasn't the favourite (necessarily), they just made it impossible for HD-DVD to continue existing.

Some time ago I read an article ith I think an former Microsoft executive who claimed exactly that. And honestly it made sense. Microsoft were the ones who invest the most money in this format even when it was clear the support for Blu-ray was much much higher and better. Unfortunately I can not find this article at the moment...

#59 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@darji: That's kind of silly. Microsoft would be better served by tying up games which appeal to their own audience, especially after a decade of miserable failure in luring Japanese developers to their platform. Of all their potential moves to combat their main competitor, I doubt that they would seriously consider flushing vast sums of money down the toilet while bringing no real value to their platform (not deliberately, anyway.)

The only way that I see a Square/Sony exclusivity deal for these two games making any sense at all is if Square don't anticipate making meaningful sales on other platforms and can't afford to lose money on a multiplatform release and if the deal costs Sony nothing at all, or some minor co-marketing commitment. Square saves face and avoids unnecessary costs and Sony gets a small benefit from the perceived value of exclusives.

#60 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@darji: That's kind of silly. Microsoft would be better served by tying up games which appeal to their own audience, especially after a decade of miserable failure in luring Japanese developers to their platform. Of all their potential moves to combat their main competitor, I doubt that they would seriously consider flushing vast sums of money down the toilet while bringing no real value to their platform (not deliberately, anyway.)

The only way that I see a Square/Sony exclusivity deal for these two games making any sense at all is if Square don't anticipate making meaningful sales on other platforms and can't afford to lose money on a multiplatform release and if the deal costs Sony nothing at all, or some minor co-marketing commitment. Square saves face and avoids unnecessary costs and Sony gets a small benefit from the perceived value of exclusives.

The rumors for Sony and SE are that Sony is helping out with the assets and the game itself so that would make sense to make it exclusive because of that.

As for Microsoft. Microsoft did this a lot in their history. For example they basically destroyed BM with their Money and I don't now if you have read the article about why Microsoft entered the console business in the first place. To "destroy" Sony.

#61 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@darji: I think you need to stop reading so many wild conspiracy theories. Or at least believing everything you read as absolute fact.

Edit: I'm not necessarily debating the validity of your comments, Microsoft's reputation is well known, but the manner in which you tend to post everything comes across like someone who is absolutely bat-shit crazy. Especially when you're posting links to sources from people with second hand information who may or not know the full story, or from previous employee's who clearly have an agenda.

Things tend to be more complex than you make them seem and you take a very narrow-minded and one sided approach to relying information.

#62 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -
#63 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@darji said:

As for Microsoft. Microsoft did this a lot in their history. For example they basically destroyed BM with their Money and I don't now if you have read the article about why Microsoft entered the console business in the first place. To "destroy" Sony.

Microsoft have traditionally been very aggressive in combating competitors, as is their prerogative. Still, there is no long-term benefit to snatching up a game with a troubled development history/part of a franchise with no traction on their system in FF Versus 13 and a game from a franchise relegated to handhelds since the PS2 era in Kingdom Hearts. Xbox owners wouldn't care and Playstation owners would barely notice unless they were fervent fans of those games. The only party who would benefit would be Square, though the value of a payoff vs. people actually playing the games is purely speculative.

If MS were going to start throwing money around to get third-party exclusives it would be for games with appeal in the U.S. and Europe specifically, games in popular genres or whose names have some currency in those markets. Jumping on small titles in niche genres which have no real cache in Xbox's main market is not only a pointless and boneheaded move, it's a pointless and boneheaded move that they have already made and failed at.

#64 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@darji: I think you need to stop reading so many wild conspiracy theories. Or at least believing everything you read as absolute fact.

Edit: I'm not necessarily debating the validity of your comments, Microsoft's reputation is well known, but the manner in which you tend to post everything comes across like someone who is absolutely bat-shit crazy. Especially when you're posting links to sources from people with second hand information who may or not know the full story, or from previous employee's who clearly have an agenda.

Things tend to be more complex than you make them seem and you take a very narrow-minded and one sided approach to relying information.

Hmm one reason for that maybe that English is not my native language so I try to keep my sentences as short and easy as possible^^

#65 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts has ruined itself. The only way I'd be interested in KH3 is if it requires zero knowledge of the billion hand held titles. And it would be a PS4 exclusive. I don't think FFXIII going multiplat did anything for them if memory serves. Plus the Kingdom Hearts HD and Final Fantasy X HD are exclusive to Sony, if they ever release that is.

Versus XIII if they've taken the concept which I think was ever little more than those videos release an entire gen ago and built it up for the ground up for next gen as a PS4 exclusive would be an attractive title. They have to drop the Versus XIII title which is a vestige of its troubled development and bill it as Final Fantasy 15. Try and recapture that magic that sold PS1's with FF7. Square, Final Fantasy, new PlayStation. these are the words that stir up a metric fuck ton of nostalgia for a lot of people.