So...is the video capture system just a total bust?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I've owned a PS4 since mid-February and here is the sum total of my time with the system, on which I own about ten games, five of which get played with semi-regularity:

inFamous: 1 clip, 1'28". This one clip I uploaded to Facebook as a test case and now it also can't be deleted from my system because it's "in use", whatever that means. It finished uploading months ago.

Trials Fusion: 2 clips, 2'52" and 0'48" long. The second clip I made using the new "save video clip" feature after wanting to brag about a run to my friend, and I'm not sure where the first came from.

Watch Dogs: 2 clips, 0'03" and 0'06" long. I've had plenty of moments in other games I wanted to share before but nothing as badly as the recent gang hideout I just cleared out, I thought it'd be cool to show some friends how the game can be played non-violently, especially the ones who think the game is all guns blazing. But when I went to save the video clip, all it saved was 3 seconds of me idling in a car after receiving the mission complete graphic.

I should mention I have the system set to save 15 minute clips of gameplay, so the reasoning behind the lengths of these clips and why they are so randomly distributed (the Trials clips, for example, are from April 30th and May 13th) is utterly lost on me. It doesn't help that this means I can't really play with the ShareFactory app at all either.

Has the video capture stuff been working fine for most everyone else, or am I not alone here? I found a reddit thread but I find that forum so hard to read I didn't get much out of it beyond the OP.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I've had some random length clips of Infamous happen. I'm not sure if this is the case or not but I remember hearing that devs can decide what parts of the game can and can't be recorded, in other words CGI cutscenes are probably no go areas so perhaps the video gets cut when one of those triggers.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've never actively used for any sort of distinct purpose, but every time I've hit the share button the clips were lengthy. I even tried to see if it would be possible to capture an entire playthrough of a game so I set a timer for 15 minutes and pressed the share button every time it went off. After an hour playing I had four 15 minute clips.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Practice...I guess. Likely playing around with it more with the intention of recording rather than just playing will help. Do a few trial runs and keep playing with it.

There are a few video how-to online about capture and then using SHAREFactory, so those might be of more help than any of us.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Its been working fine for me.

DiabeticJimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had some games have the full 15 minutes and others have nothing even though I've been playing for a couple hours. I'm not sure exactly what and why but it is messed up.

SneakyJB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been working perfectly fine for me. However, I don't use it very much or too it's full extent. Interesting that you are having trouble with it.

Jozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's really weird, it always seems to capture footage from hours ago and not the past 15 minutes that I actually wanted.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It is similar for me. I have a PS4 since the release of Infamous and it pretty much records nothing. I have one clip of Infamous gameplay that is two minutes long. I did not touch any setting, the capture length should be 15 minutes. I played Watch Dogs and Infamous to completion and played a good bit of Trials Fusion, Mercenary Kings and MGS: Ground Zeroes. There are no recordings of anything.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It depends on if you hit the share button I think. If you press it, the it will stop recording or record a new clip.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ry_Ry

When playing AC4 I kept forgetting the share features existed, much to my dismay. Been working great for Wolfenstein, Infamous and Outlast though

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to seem like anytime I pressed the share button it would save a video.

Then it change to once you press the share button you then need to press the square button to save the clip from the last 15 mins or whatever you have it set at ( think I set mine to 5 mins now)

but now it hardly ever works and the press square to save video message hardly ever shows up when you press share now.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I've had a lot of great moments in Watch Dogs multiplayer that I wanted to save. When I go to save the video sometimes I can do it properly and sometimes I can't. Its been very random.

Also, why can I only upload the videos to Facebook? I don't have a Facebook account, and even if I did I wouldn't want to put gaming stuff on my Facebook.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

I've had a lot of great moments in Watch Dogs multiplayer that I wanted to save. When I go to save the video sometimes I can do it properly and sometimes I can't. Its been very random.

Also, why can I only upload the videos to Facebook? I don't have a Facebook account, and even if I did I wouldn't want to put gaming stuff on my Facebook.

You can set it up so only you can see the videos you upload, I think.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I wouldn't call it a bust, but it does get weird sometimes. It would be nice if that if you pushed the share button there will be a selection either begin recording or end recording instead of doing it instantly. I've had some issues with it, but if I do it right, the results are pretty awesome to use.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worked pretty damn well for me. I record crazy clips and keep them for myself all the time. I think you should realize how the recording works is dependent on the developer. For example, NBA 2k14 wont save audio or certain parts of the game. Some games also wont let you save "spoiler" stuff. That could be a reason for some vids that aren't 15 mins.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's worked pretty damn well for me. I record crazy clips and keep them for myself all the time. I think you should realize how the recording works is dependent on the developer. For example, NBA 2k14 wont save audio or certain parts of the game. Some games also wont let you save "spoiler" stuff. That could be a reason for some vids that aren't 15 mins.

It's not "some vids". It's all, and all amounts to the three I mentioned after three months with the system. There is no automatic recording going on with my system, and like another user I haven't touched any settings other than turning on the notifications that recording and broadcasts have stopped due to developer constraints which I've had on since the beginning.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EthanielRain

Has worked perfectly for me, over the course of 50-100 videos taken.

Maybe your share button is messed up, as hitting it twice can set start/stop points and such.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Save the video, then plug in a USB flash drive, then you can go to the data management and save the video on it. You can upload it to Youtube or whatever. This is a short clip I took when I encountered a bug in Transistor that I linked to Supergiant Games.