So Polygon almost made me think us at GB were crazy BUT

• 146 results
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Why's Justin with those snarky assholes? Bring him here. Fuck those guys.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im sorry but I just need to point out that the guy with the horribly receded hairline has a really ugly shirt...... It really doesnt go with the suit and he cant pull it off. Thats my only problem with the video. Well probably not, I didnt watch the whole thing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

This is one of the main reason I don't visit Polygon or The Verge: there are too many Crispin Boyer-types over there. Gies and McElroy are alright in my book, but the rest just seem like they've got some chip on their shoulder all the time. Polygon, in general, seems like something that tries to take games way too seriously...which drives me insane.

With all of that said, those guys bitching incessantly is dumb as hell, because Sony fucking KILLED IT at that conference! They drove an early nail into Microsoft and Nintendo's coffins. Microsoft is REALLY going to have to impress with their shit, or they are going to be riding some hard pine. The Sony conference was electric. There was a pure vibe of positivity around the whole thing, and for people to actual think that it was bad because there was no box shown or a price given... FUCK THEM!

McElroy is right on this one. The conference was boss. The stuff shown was boss. The excitement is there. These guys need to pull their heads out of their collective elitest asses.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

These guys supposedly follow the industry, so I am not sure why they are so down on this press conference. If you haven't seen many of these conferences and have hyped your self up it it easy to see how these things can come off as underwhelming, stilted, awkward, and disappointing. All of these press conferences are relative though, so only a 7th grade mentality will be bummed by something that is relatively good yet fails to meet some amorphous fanboy ideal wherein Sony revolutionizes gaming and here are all the games and features you ever wanted in a $200 console that looks shinier than the Hope Diamond.

Sony seemed focused on "core gamers."

There were no giant enemy crab moments.

They didn't try to pad the event with nekkid dancers and free t-shirts.

They showed a handful of interesting looking games nine months before the console is launched with more to come (does no one remember the launch of the PS3 and 360?).

They had some interesting ideas.

No, it wasn't a two hour orgasm, but Sony did an OK job. There has been some valid criticism of the event, console gaming's direction, ect., but a lot of negativity surrounding the event comes off as the whining of grown up fanboys.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Im sorry but I just need to point out that the guy with the horribly receded hairline has a really ugly shirt...... It really doesnt go with the suit and he cant pull it off. Thats my only problem with the video. Well probably not, I didnt watch the whole thing.

Chris Grant. He does that grandpa look. Doesn't pull it off..

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin McElroy is my new favourite video game personality. We need more positivity in this industry, I can't blame anyone since I have been quite negative about it myself. There's a reason for that though, as Justin said, this industry has been stagnating for 2 years now, it's no wonder I'm losing interest.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sometimes polygon seems like a jungle of plaid and beard and glasses.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

People who don't understand the business realities of these things making knee jerk statements on the internet? No way man!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@aegon said:

Even the giant bomb crew was being snarky as hell during the whole thing. I guess for whatever reason they can't help it. I mean, I laughed a bunch at some of the snark, but I still enjoyed the conference a lot and so did the crew. They were just having fun I guess.

I was also shocked with how enthused the staff here was. Sure they talked shit on just about everything but it was all in good jest and at the end of the show they seemed almost as excited as I am.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Phil Kollar is over at Polygon too and, just because I like the dude and needed to know, I'm glad to see this was one of his responses after the Playstation 4 event.

Philip Kollar ‏@pkollar

Holy shiiiiit so much cynicism. You guys are nuts.

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin McElroy makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about video games.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_official_japanese_teabag said:

Chris Grant. He does that grandpa look. Doesn't pull it off..

I shouldnt care so much but dear lord, that gut.......

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jakob187 said:

This is one of the main reason I don't visit Polygon or The Verge: there are too many Crispin Boyer-types over there. Gies and McElroy are alright in my book, but the rest just seem like they've got some chip on their shoulder all the time. Polygon, in general, seems like something that tries to take games way too seriously...which drives me insane.

With all of that said, those guys bitching incessantly is dumb as hell, because Sony fucking KILLED IT at that conference! They drove an early nail into Microsoft and Nintendo's coffins. Microsoft is REALLY going to have to impress with their shit, or they are going to be riding some hard pine. The Sony conference was electric. There was a pure vibe of positivity around the whole thing, and for people to actual think that it was bad because there was no box shown or a price given... FUCK THEM!

McElroy is right on this one. The conference was boss. The stuff shown was boss. The excitement is there. These guys need to pull their heads out of their collective elitest asses.

Sony's Conference didn't knock it out of the park but the whole positive, sincere, enjoyment of games, and the want to innovate that Sony displayed during the conference made it incredibly exciting. I haven't been this excited about games in a while.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@soapy86 said:

Polygon: Parade of Assholes

Pretty much this. Those guys are like human wet blankets.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@euandewar said:

Loading Video...

Hah, yeah - we DO need a .gif of that.

J-Mac, keeping it real, the way I like it.

Stop fucking calling him J-Mac.

DaMaJaDiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DaMaJaDiZ

I thought the event went swimmingly well. It didn't really drag, and I enjoyed the vast majority of it. I actually am really excited to see what this system will do. A week ago, I really didn't care one way or the other, but they managed to raise the bar on my own expectations. That's pretty exciting.

As bad as those guys are at Polygon, at least the community on the site hasn't absorbed the staffs jaded and self absorbed outlook on gaming. Hipster cynicism pretty much bleeds out of that editorial staff. If it doesn't fit into their narrow spectrum of hip and what they are currently into, it's useless and a waste of their precious time to even discuss. They have a few writers there that aren't complete downers, but the prevailing attitude is friggin depressing.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the event went swimmingly well. It didn't really drag, and I enjoyed the vast majority of it. I actually am really excited to see what this system will do. A week ago, I really didn't care one way or the other, but they managed to raise the bar on my own expectations. That's pretty exciting.

As bad as those guys are at Polygon, at least the community on the site hasn't absorbed the staffs jaded and self absorbed outlook on gaming. Hipster cynicism pretty much bleeds out of that editorial staff. If it doesn't fit into their narrow spectrum of hip and what they are currently into, it's useless and a waste of their precious time to even discuss. They have a few writers there that aren't complete downers, but the prevailing attitude is friggin depressing.

You need a hug. Use him.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:

You need a hug. Use him.

No Caption Provided

I don't think that's legal man.

@hailinel said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@euandewar said:

Loading Video...

I did it for effect ._.

But yes, it's nice to see a healthy appreciation for all things Gaming and McElroy on this thread. Happy I made it.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:

You need a hug. Use him.

No Caption Provided

I don't think that's legal man.

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

Loading Video...

I did it for effect ._.

But yes, it's nice to see a healthy appreciation for all things Gaming and McElroy on this thread. Happy I made it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

They're one and the same, man. :)

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I personally didn't like the press conference. Not because it was bad, but mostly because pre-rendered trailers and tech demos don't really do much for me. Just because I or some other people don't agree with the GB crew doesn't mean we are overly pessimistic.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: Haha, yeah, I'm familiar with time belt. But kid Justin is still hella creepy, especially with that subtitle.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I've been polygoning a while. There's no argument that that site can be snarky and pretentious from top to bottom, but they still bring up good, valid points, even if they're shrouded in that misty, "we think we're smart" BS cloud.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been polygoning a while. There's no argument that that site can be snarky and pretentious from top to bottom, but they still bring up good, valid points, even if they're shrouded in that misty, "we think we're smart" BS cloud.

So what are you saying, that they're assholes but you like how they smell?

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The thing I don't understand about all the negativity is that no one can really articulate what it is that would make them happy. That long Gameological rant that everyone was raving about on twitter is so negative for the sake of being negative, and offers nothing in the way solutions. Taking issue with more powerful hardware coming out eight years after the previous one baffles me. And the same people will buy a new iPhone or iPad every year. Confusing.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for those who requested a gif of Justin's final statements about the PS4, here you go;

No Caption Provided

If that isn't loading (I may have cut it too large for it to load normally) - click below to view

Justin Dancing Gif

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Watched it late, yesterday, with no idea what the general reception had been like.

I thought it was great; the way they laid out the hardware specs and talked about integrating games and community at a fundamental level was pretty exciting.

The games were so-so, but I expect we'll see a lot more at E3.

Exciting stuff.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin is the only thing about Polygon I like. And this video is why.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

Loading Video...

Hey, be cool, H-Lin!

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I've never payed attention to The Verge and that dude made me glad that's so. He came off as suuuuuuuuch a douche.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop going to Polygon.

McElroy for president.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Vexxan

Justin seems to know what's up, the guy in the tie is just so negative about everything.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a bit intense, but I don't know - along with Justin, this was like soul food for me.

Loading Video...

I just wish more games press was like GB, the "light side" of Polygon and HHG.

Not all - as many rightly pointed out, it is good to have differing opinions, and some of the criticisms voiced definitely had merit - but man, loving video games is why I'm here.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe a bit intense, but I don't know - along with Justin, this was like soul food for me.

Loading Video...

Not all - as many rightly pointed out, it is good to have differing opinions, and some of the criticisms voiced definitely had merit - but man, loving video games is why I'm here.

I fucking love HHG for stuff exactly like this.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like McElroy at all, but I fully support him on this issue.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phatmac said:

Why's Justin with those snarky assholes? Bring him here. Fuck those guys.

Dude, totally. He seems to be a guy who loves video games and not just reviewing them, you know what I mean? That elitist, super snarky, super critical, glasses wearing environment is not good for him.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who is whining about that event can suck my dick.

I'm over these over entitled little man children of the internet who don't have anything to do but nitpick and whine

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well good on him. Looks like he struck a nerve with that Ross fellow.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thank god for Justin McElroy.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#91  Edited By alistercat

That is great. So great. Love it when people call out excessive negativity in any situation.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally didn't like the press conference. Not because it was bad, but mostly because pre-rendered trailers and tech demos don't really do much for me. Just because I or some other people don't agree with the GB crew doesn't mean we are overly pessimistic.

What are you talking about? The tech demos took like under 10 minutes total (counting Epic, Havok, Quantic and Square Enix), and a good part of the video shown was not only rendered in real time but was actual gameplay.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Funkydupe

Loading Video...

I think I just became a fan of this guy.

BrandonPckrfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin needs to come to GB. He is fucking awesome!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a general feeling on the internet that if you don't like something you're intelligent and if you like something you're naive.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN really liked the press conference, watched both streams and they felt about the same way as Giant Bomb (except they didnt like the media molecule stuff as much as IGN)

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Wasn't the early stages of Polygon funded by a Internet Explorer advertising deal? I would like to think that money didn't affect their integrity though.

Save the McElroy brothers from Polygon and bring them to GB.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The negativity surrounding the PS4 conference is somewhat confounding. I feel that they did an excellent job of balancing their time between talking about the machine's technical details and displaying practical applications of that technology.

I wish people would just analyze what was presented at the conference rather than disparage the event because it didn't follow their made-up guidelines for how it was supposed to operate.

@tread311 said:

That long Gameological rant that everyone was raving about on twitter is so negative for the sake of being negative, and offers nothing in the way solutions.

Yeah, that Gamelogical article is something else. Really petulant and, frankly, it reeked of ignorance regarding developers' wants for more power in the machines they are developing for. It's like, instead of being so cynical about it, why not reach out to these developers and let them justify to you why it is important that the PS4 will have so much power? Why not reconcile your feelings in an investigative article instead of writing a humorless, overly dramatic rant?

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kind of blown away by the number of people who where bitching because they didn't see what it looks like as well. I mean, wtf?! who cares what the box looks like? I mean, yeah, I like the look of consoles as much as anyone else, but they showed what the machine will (hopefully) be able to do. The sharing stuff etc, that is waaaay more interesting. I mean, come on, it will most likely be a black square-ish box in approx the size of the PS3. Exciting...? lol

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By Cirdain