Some problems I have with the PS4

• 58 results
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

XMB was the best console UI ever. Still is!

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm actually loving the UI a lot. They took XMB which was already the best UI, and made it even better.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By sonicrift

There are some parts of the UI that work today that might not work for us in the future. Having one long string of all my digital purchases on PS3 stopped working for me when I subscribed to PS+, and I had to start manually sticking them into folders. I'm hoping the Library will have sorting options in the future. Right now, I don't need them. It's fine. But when there's enough content to merit making changes, I hope they don't wait, becaue that Library page is going to turn into a mess. Also, I dont think Netflix belongs there. It already has its own video tab. I like the idea of having my most played or most recent content front and centre and everything else sorted away nicely.

Edit: My point is that the UI is going to change. It must, if just in order to support the all-digital ecosystem they're trying to foster. What we have now is a good start.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's no easy way to turn off autorenewal because they don't want you to turn it off. Same reason you had to call Microsoft to do the same thing on Xbox 360 for a long time.

I like the new UI more than XMB, but that's not saying a whole lot. I also wonder what happens when you have more than a few games, do you have to scroll horizontally interminable to find them?

How the heck can small things like this make you disappointed with a console and consider returning it?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By strainedeyes

I actually really liked the audio logs using the DS4 speakers in Killzone.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@hippie_genocide: @xeiphyer: You two really think the PS3 has the best UI of the last generation? Seriously? I thought it was quite obvious that it was 3rd behind Wii's functionally simple but easy to use and Xbox 360's functionally robust and moderately easy to use. It's clunky, busy, and full of baffling systems that make no sense at all.

The PS4 UI is better than that, but its still got baffling odds and ends that makes it, currently, 2nd to Wii U in the same way the PS3 was 3rd to Wii's 2nd. We'll see on Friday how the Xbox One fits into that but given how everyone, including Gary Whitta, has been super impressed by what they've seen I'm optimistic we're looking at the same tiers this time out as last time when it comes to user experience.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@themasterds: if the 360 had just left the blades in place, I would vote for that, but the 360 in its current state is a disaster. I feel completely bombarded by ads that I shouldn't being seeing if I pay for live (I don't anymore), avatar shit, IGN this and that, and Jessica Fucking Chobot. It's just so clear that MS' goal is to monetize the fuck out of everything, as evidenced by not even really having a "store". Now you can spend money on a variety of things everywhere on their UI. They're a business, I get that, but it's annoying as a consumer. XMB has always been minimalist without much intrusion for outside services, except for a ticker that takes up a small amount of the screen. With PS4 they've made it better by streamlining it even further. Instead of displaying pop up videos telling how many spacebucks I can earn by slamming the Dew, I get relevant info like what games my friends are playing and what trophies they're earning. And no avatars, cuz fuck that nonsense. I can't really speak to Wii U because I don't have that system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those all seems like things that are simply part of being so new, aside from the interface, which I think is fine.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@themasterds: if the 360 had just left the blades in place, I would vote for that, but the 360 in its current state is a disaster. I feel completely bombarded by ads that I shouldn't being seeing if I pay for live (I don't anymore), avatar shit, IGN this and that, and Jessica Fucking Chobot. It's just so clear that MS' goal is to monetize the fuck out of everything, as evidenced by not even really having a "store". Now you can spend money on a variety of things everywhere on their UI. They're a business, I get that, but it's annoying as a consumer. XMB has always been minimalist without much intrusion for outside services, except for a ticker that takes up a small amount of the screen. With PS4 they've made it better by streamlining it even further. Instead of displaying pop up videos telling how many spacebucks I can earn by slamming the Dew, I get relevant info like what games my friends are playing and what trophies they're earning. And no avatars, cuz fuck that nonsense. I can't really speak to Wii U because I don't have that system.

I agree. I wish Microsoft stuck with the blades or at the very least just didn't feel the need to put ads on every inch of the screen. There's a problem when the video game you want to play is the smallest tile on the interface. PS3's was better and the Wii's was second best because of how customizable it is.

I like the Wii U's interface for the same reason. You can move everything around and only put the stuff you want on the main page. I hope they add that to the ps4s interface. I want to be able to customize 'everything'.