• 61 results
#1 Edited by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Guys... this is really something else.

They used the same fucking set. This is stupidly awesome. What do you guys think? It's kinda shameless, but I think it comes off as genuine. Just look at this guy's grin!

Also, unboxing videos are dumb, so might as well go all out stupid.

#2 Posted by Marokai (2903 posts) -

I love how dramatic Sony is sometimes.

#3 Edited by Wikitoups (802 posts) -

Wait...was that Shuhei Yoshida???

#4 Edited by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

Fun PR stuff like this is why people have renewed faith in sony.

i hope they continue this style of videos well into this new generation.

#5 Edited by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

I agree with Marokai.

@wikitoups said:

Wait...was that Shuhei Yoshida???

Yupp. Knew it was him right before the end because his mouth/chin. It was so Japanese like.

#6 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

O shit, an AC power cord! Hide the kids.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10918 posts) -

It's a fun video.

But I'm still left wondering how long that USB cable is. I mean, it can't possibly be long enough to reach my couch from the other side of the room, and I don't want to have to buy MORE hell of long USB cables because they decided to change the connector on the controller!

#8 Posted by cosi83 (396 posts) -

Must only touch with ze leather gloves! Hail!

#9 Posted by marc (502 posts) -

It's a fun video.

But I'm still left wondering how long that USB cable is. I mean, it can't possibly be long enough to reach my couch from the other side of the room, and I don't want to have to buy MORE hell of long USB cables because they decided to change the connector on the controller!

they are the same cables almost every cell phone uses these days. everyone probably already has half a million of them lol

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10918 posts) -

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

they are the same cables almost every cell phone uses these days. everyone probably already has half a million of them lol

I have one that came with my cell phone in 2009 that plugs into a power outlet. That is literally the only thing in this house that has that. Okay, I lied, my dad, who has the same phone, has the same thing that plugs into a power outlet, so we have two of those.

#11 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Hell yeah Micro USB. Not even Apple gets away with not using that nowin Europe.

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

Dumb in a good way and straight to the point, their marketing teams are nailing it. Great use of Yoshida at the end.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

Sony's been making some really nice ads in anticipation of the launch.

Also, I liked seeing Shuhei at the end there.

#14 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2530 posts) -

Man, that video was doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.

#15 Posted by laserguy (443 posts) -

That could of been a Gran Turismo commercial.

#16 Edited by SMTDante89 (2567 posts) -

Yeah, that was pretty nice.

#17 Edited by hughesman (312 posts) -

Everybody loves Yoshida. Really smart of Sony to put faces like Mark Cerny and Yoshida behind their new console.

#18 Edited by TurboMan (7509 posts) -

That was really stupid and fun.

#19 Posted by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

I have one that came with my cell phone in 2009 that plugs into a power outlet. That is literally the only thing in this house that has that. Okay, I lied, my dad, who has the same phone, has the same thing that plugs into a power outlet, so we have two of those.

I dunno. I think marc might be onto something. I have about ten of them in my house. I think they multiplied, because I have no idea where some of them came from.

#20 Posted by mpgeist (597 posts) -

Oh Shu, you RASCAL!

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10918 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

@marc said:

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

I dunno. I think marc might be onto something. I have about ten of them in my house. I think they multiplied, because I have no idea where some of them came from.

Well, good for you then! These aren't going to help me charge and play at the same time, or use it on my PS3 where it has to be connected at all times!

#22 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

Lol so bad it's good.

#23 Posted by TreeTrunk (115 posts) -

I love it!

#24 Posted by datarez (549 posts) -

Pretty funny. Its interesting that Sony has a lot of youtube video promotion and microsoft is doing some of this too but microsoft seems to have a few xbox one ads on tv and I haven't seen a PS4 ad on tv yet. Today I was watching nascar and there were a few Forza 5 commercials I think and now during sunday night football there is a commercial with pro players where they're swapping between the game on tv and Madden. Might just be another example of who they seem to be targeting right now.

#25 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

That was pretty funny, like a parody of Nicolas Refn.

I'm one of, I believe, only a few that think the design of the console itself is ugly. The angularity gives it the air of a thin Xbox, or some other imagining of "the future" from 2002.

#26 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

That was pretty funny, like a parody of Nicolas Refn.

I'm one of, I believe, only a few that think the design of the console itself is ugly. The angularity gives it the air of a thin Xbox, or some other imagining of "the future" from 2002.

That may be valid, but look at most other videogame console/handhelds, they usually look weird to downright ugly. Launch 3ds, ps3, dreamcast and the 360 all completely pail in design to tech in other categories. They're never cohesively designed, have strange color combinations and look like they hate being a game system. The only game systems I've thought looked timeless were the Gameboy advance Micro, NES and the slim PS2. So as far as design goes, I think although the PS4 does look sort of odd, it's doing much better than most in the industry.

#27 Edited by HatKing (5896 posts) -

I'm not sure that was actually a joke. I mean, everything else about the lead up to the console release has been so fucking self serious while simultaneously being dumb as shit, it's hard for me to think that "oh, this is them making fun of this whole spectacle that they've been helping orchestrate." This just seems like more "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR FUCKING LIFE" hype. The entire build up has been so disgusting from all angles that I'm completely turned off from buying either console. And for the first time in years I've been thinking a lot about building my own PC, which would probably run most of these games better anyway.

#28 Edited by spraynardtatum (2826 posts) -

that was hilarious.

#29 Edited by SSully (4164 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

It's a fun video.

It's going to be short. The cables aren't meant to reach from the console to a seat, they are just meant to charge

@hatking: Sorry man, but that's kind of how all marketing is these day's. I read about it recently(i'll try to find a link) that most marketing towards younger people, such as millennials, is most effective when it has some kind of purpose or meaning behind it. Marketing a product is no longer enough, the product has to be world changing. That's why you have Apple marketing the ipad air as a device where all great idea's begin, or phone commercials where young attractive people are running through the street with fireworks and other bullshit going off to make the phone/company look hip and meaningful.

While I dont think Sony or Microsoft are that far in yet(most of their commercials are just saying YO, VIDEO GAMES ARE STILL FUN RIGHT?!), I can certainly see this kind of messaging being tiring.

Personally I found this ad to be pretty fun.

#30 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@hatking: It's a parody of a Daft Punk video.

#31 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2365 posts) -

That was stupid and cheesy. I like it.

Also the comment section LOL

#32 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

I bought a controller and was pissed it didnt come with a USB chord, so I was fuming thinking they didnt include one with a PS4 either, but nope, last thing they show before the console itself is the chord.

#33 Posted by Wikitoups (802 posts) -

Cause I found no proper clip of it:

#34 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

Man, Sony is just on a roll with their advertising lately. It's like they just started trolling everyone or something I can't really explain it.

#35 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

@marokai said:

I love how dramatic Sony is sometimes.

sometimes?

#36 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

A lot of emotion went into that unboxing.

#37 Posted by VincentVendetta (245 posts) -

Next we just need a video of Stephen Colbert dancing with Jack Tretton in front of a green screen.

#38 Posted by Freshbandito (681 posts) -

@hatking said:

I'm not sure that was actually a joke. I mean, everything else about the lead up to the console release has been so fucking self serious while simultaneously being dumb as shit, it's hard for me to think that "oh, this is them making fun of this whole spectacle that they've been helping orchestrate." This just seems like more "HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR FUCKING LIFE" hype. The entire build up has been so disgusting from all angles that I'm completely turned off from buying either console. And for the first time in years I've been thinking a lot about building my own PC, which would probably run most of these games better anyway.

It's a straight spoof of the Daft punk Random Access memories unboxing video, it's very much tongue in cheek and taking the piss.

#39 Edited by Mycroft_Ampersand (77 posts) -

@datarez said:

Pretty funny. Its interesting that Sony has a lot of youtube video promotion and microsoft is doing some of this too but microsoft seems to have a few xbox one ads on tv and I haven't seen a PS4 ad on tv yet. Today I was watching nascar and there were a few Forza 5 commercials I think and now during sunday night football there is a commercial with pro players where they're swapping between the game on tv and Madden. Might just be another example of who they seem to be targeting right now.

I think it just depends on what you happen to catch. I have seen numerous PS4 commercials on television (I only watch the sports highlights in the mornings and evenings) but have not seen a single ad for xbox one. But to see xbox commercials during racing and football makes sense, for the reasons that you mention above (demographic targeting and Forza).

#40 Edited by RobotSquad (213 posts) -

Everybody loves Yoshida. Really smart of Sony to put faces like Mark Cerny and Yoshida behind their new console.

Absolutely. Even if it was just all just smoke and mirrors, those guys seem so much more genuine than the stodgy suits Microsoft parades around. They need another J Allard, and that was 110% smoke and mirrors.

#41 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@hatking said:

It's a straight spoof of the Daft punk Random Access memories unboxing video, it's very much tongue in cheek and taking the piss.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously spoofing it. The smallest details are almost exactly mimicked.

#42 Edited by sub_o (889 posts) -

That's pretty dumb unboxing, and I like it !

And to be fair, XBox One unboxing is pretty straightforward too, which is good too.

#43 Posted by csl316 (8469 posts) -

Good stuff. I'm excited, man. There was a month long period where I wasn't so sure but now that I have 4 games coming my way (while only paying for two) it's all good.

And a recent surprise raise certainly helps ease the burden.

I'm red e.

#44 Posted by Zuljin (32 posts) -

Shuhei is a PR monster!

#45 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

That was pretty good. I don't like their tagline, "Greatness Awaits", though. It's lame.

#46 Posted by Ryanmgraef (235 posts) -

Fuck yeah ps4! I am so excited!

#47 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

That was really funny.

#48 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

That was so dumb in all the right ways. I love this side of Sony's Playstation marketing.

#49 Edited by joshwent (2172 posts) -

So... it doesn't come with that spotlight so you can raise the console triumphantly into the beam when you unbox it? Lame.

#50 Edited by Castiel (2580 posts) -

I feel bad for the people who don't know that it is meant as a joke.