#1 Edited by sarahsdad (1119 posts) -

I suspect there's probably still a lot of overlap between Tested.com and GB from back in the Whiskey media days, but for those who aren't regulars, they did a quick break-down of the default drive vs. full SSD vs. Hybrid drives.

TL;DR of the video is that SSDs are up to 20 seconds quicker in some places than the default, but that's only if you're willing to spend almost as much on the drive as you did on the console.

Personally I think the way to go is still to just get as big a standard drive as possible; I'm not getting paid to play, so there's no "Time is money, yo" aspect to it. Of course this is all unless/until there's another Skyrim situation where it.takes.a.long.time.to.load.for.each.door.I.open.

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2232 posts) -

Yeah, I'll keep the standard drive, thank you. Cool video though, appreciate the link.

#3 Posted by Zirilius (720 posts) -

That's a sweet video. Hadn't actually contemplated a hybrid drive before but it makes a ton of sense and for the price why the hell not.

#4 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

Hybrid seems the way to go, they are surprisingly cheap too.

#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3228 posts) -

For the price, it doesn't seem worth it at all. The hybrid drive seems like an interesting alternative, but realistically capacity is much more of an issue than speed is

#6 Edited by Nasar7 (2769 posts) -

Load times have never really bothered me. If the game is great, I can wait. Makes sense, though.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15117 posts) -

Yeah, Hybrid really seems to be the way to go here.

#8 Edited by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Early next year I think I'll go for a 2TB 7200rpm hybrid with whatever 64GB ssd portion there is, and never have to think about space on the PS4 again. I'm not into buying digital copies no matter how awful gamestops trade in values are, and reinstalling games easily is an added bonus

#9 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

So is the hybrid faster?

Can't watch this video currently...

#10 Edited by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

So is the hybrid faster?

No, the SSD is still faster, but the Hybrid drive provides the best price:performance ratio if you want to have at least as much storage as the default PS4 HDD.

#11 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@geraltitude said:

So is the hybrid faster?

No, the SSD is still faster, but the Hybrid drive provides the best price:performance ratio if you want to have at least as much default storage as the PS4 HDD.

Ah ok, thanks. Never really knew there were hybrid drives before this..

#12 Posted by cloudymusic (1223 posts) -

Any recommendations for good cheap hybrid drives to use for this? After looking at Newegg, I'm paranoid about buying the wrong height or something.

#13 Posted by dagas (2902 posts) -

I bouight a 500GB hybrid for my PS3 earlier this year after seeing a video from CES 2013 how much faster it loaded. Not sure how much difference it makes in reality but it did not cost that much more. I don't think it is worth upgradingg a PS4 anytime soon since no one is likely to fill that 500GB before there are a lot more games and by that time harddrives will be faster and cheaper.

#14 Posted by rethla (740 posts) -

Anyone knows if its a good idea to put an 7200rpm drive in the PS4, any noticeable gain?

Also is it safe to do so with the extra power consumption and heat? Sony states that "any 160Gb+ 9.5mm drive will do" but that statement is very unclear...

#15 Edited by Nictel (2430 posts) -
#16 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (713 posts) -

I'm waiting to get one until space becomes an issue. Hard drives generally get cheaper over time, and hopefully Sony will get it's shit together and allow more options (like external drives) in the future. Right now I have 9 games (including F2P and Indies) taking up 100GB, and 2.7GB of captures. That leaves me with 306GB free and no big games I'm interested in until March. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 2TB drive, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade yet.

#17 Edited by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

I can respect a dude that rocks bed hair, but you'd think if he knew he was going to be on video he'd comb.

#18 Posted by Korwin (2985 posts) -

@rethla said:

Anyone knows if its a good idea to put an 7200rpm drive in the PS4, any noticeable gain?

Also is it safe to do so with the extra power consumption and heat? Sony states that "any 160Gb+ 9.5mm drive will do" but that statement is very unclear...

Worked for the PS3, can't see how this would be any different. A faster drive is always going to generate faster results no matter the platform.

I was already considering a Hybrid drive, it's nice that Will and Norm actually bothered to find out.

#19 Edited by VeggiesBro (146 posts) -

At this point, i'm taking a wait and see approach. It would be amazing to get an SSD, but hopefully they'll go down in price in the near future. In the meantime, like others have said there really isn't anything that i'm super excited to play until March.

#20 Posted by Brendan (8028 posts) -

Trust me when I say this. When the next Elder Scrolls game comes, I WIL NOT spend 10-20 hours looking at loading screens. Guys, an SSD will be worth it.

#21 Edited by TurboMan (7695 posts) -

You misspelled Jamie and Adam's Tested.com

#22 Edited by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -
@hunter5024 said:

I can respect a dude that rocks bed hair, but you'd think if he knew he was going to be on video he'd comb.

His hair is usually combed and well-kept.

He just messes it up getting super pumped before every video.

#23 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

SSD's will be a bigger factor later in the console's cycle when its age becomes more apparent and SSD's in general become cheaper