#1 Edited by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/welcome-to-the-amazon-playstation-network-store-1462747295

This is potentially pretty huge for people in the US, isn't it?

Also, it feels strange that Kotaku is "excited to introduce" this. Did they partner up with Sony/Amazon or something, or is it just a strange way of saying they've got the exclusive on this (it really reads like a press release)? Anyways, exciting times.

#2 Posted by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

Holly shit! This is fantastic!

#3 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

This is really awesome since I buy my games only from Amazon right now. I just hope it is not region locked that would be absolute brilliant.

#4 Edited by Marokai (2899 posts) -

Wait, so Amazon is offering PSN titles through their marketplace with a completely different pricing structure? I'm either missing something incredibly obvious or this is a legitimate megaton.

#5 Edited by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

@darji said:

This is really awesome since I buy my games only from Amazon right now. I just hope it is not region locked that would be absolute brilliant.

It might be a situation where codes only work on U.S. PSN accounts, but if the PS4 works just like the PS3 you could just create a US account and unlock them there. Then any account on that system could use it.

#6 Posted by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

@tearhead said:

@darji said:

It might be a situation where codes only work on U.S. PSN accounts, but if the PS4 works just like the PS3 you could just create a US account and unlock them there. Then any account on that system could use it.

That's how I'm guessing it'll work. There will be ways around this.

@marokai: The Kotaku article reads like it will be a separate marketplace with a different market structure: "We can't wait to see what digital deals Amazon brings to the PSN table." If so, digital competition could be a game changer. This reads like a megaton to me at least.

#7 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

yeah it works according to someone on gaf XD

Works in Europe with fake address and US PSN account. Just bought game code for Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSone classic.

Oh man I can not wait for black friday XD

#8 Posted by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

I really hope this grows to the level of PC digital game sales/deals, where multiple online stores have the ability to sell game codes for consoles. When both systems and PC games are available digitally across multiple storefronts, I can only imagine the deals!

#9 Edited by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

@tearhead said:

I really hope this grows to the level of PC digital game sales/deals, where multiple online stores have the ability to sell game codes for consoles. When both systems and PC games are available digitally across multiple storefronts, I can only imagine the deals!

Indeed, the more competition the better. I really hope MS does something similar.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (8781 posts) -

I think this might just be a megaton announcement. Though, we'll see how it really works out.

What's causing me some pause here is how much Kotaku's post sounds like a press release, and in the article, there is even an ad for PlayStation Plus showing how many Kotaku visitors had bought from that link, followed by saying that Kotaku makes money when people buy listed deals. It all suggests that this new store is in some way now a direct(or slightly indirect) partnership of Kotaku with Sony.

And that's just weird. I know people like to throw around accusations at Kotaku, but I've gone there for years and enjoyed a decent bit of what they provide. They have given rather consistent crap and coverage to all of the major companies. Yet, this looks like an actual questionable connection. They have seemed to have a deal with Amazon and other sellers to make money from sales, but now that Amazon and Sony are teamed up, this appears to mean that they now have a deal with Sony, as well.

"When you buy, we also make money."

Am I crazy to think that might raise some questions for a gaming news and reviews site?

#11 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

I think this might just be a megaton announcement. Though, we'll see how it really works out.

What's causing me some pause here is how much Kotaku's post sounds like a press release, and in the article, there is an ad for PlayStation Plus marked as saying that Kotaku makes money when people buy it. That this new store is in some way a direct(or slightly indirect) partnership of Kotaku with Sony.

And that's just weird. I know people like to throw around accusations at Kotaku, but I've gone there for years and enjoyed a decent bit of what they provide. They have given rather consistent crap and coverage to all of the major companies. Yet, this looks like an actual questionable connection. They have seemed to have a deal with Amazon and other sellers to make money from sales, but now that Amazon and Sony are teamed up, this appears to mean that they now have a deal with Sony, as well.

"When you buy, we also make money."

Am I crazy to think that might raise some questions for a gaming news and reviews site?

I am pretty sure it is just if you follow the link from Kotaku. Just like many twitch streamers for example get a small cut when people buy from amazon from their link of.

#12 Posted by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

@truthtellah: Yeah, as I said in the OP, the actual article feels very, very weird. I'm not sure if it's a genuine partnership or just Kotaku posting a press release and/or an exclusive, but the tone of the article is super weird: "We're very excited to introduce..." The article isn't exactly clear on Kotaku's role here, but it reads like an ad, at the very least.

And yes, I think this might raise some questions for a gaming news and reviews site. You might've crossed a line if you, directly or indirectly, have a such a deal in place with Sony.

#13 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Now they need to get GOG, GMG and all the other digital stores that do digital game sales. Make it available to everyone.

#14 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2505 posts) -

Man, this is massive news - well, for US residents anyway.

I can't wait to see how this plays out in the long run.

#15 Edited by RazielCuts (2950 posts) -

@amyggen: @truthtellah: I don't follow Kotaku at all (because yeah, it's Kotaku) but from GAF people are saying it's a thing they do on the reg, its a paid advertisement in article form basically so thats why it reads like one.

Every weekday the Commerce Team brings you Gizmodo Deals, Kotaku Deals, and Lifehacker Deals, the very best coverage of deals on consumer technology, video games, apps, and everything else you care about. When you buy, we also make money. We want your feedback.

At first I had to double take too as I thought Kotaku were involved in this deal somehow.

#16 Posted by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

@amyggen: @truthtellah: I don't follow Kotaku at all (because yeah, it's Kotaku) but from GAF people are saying it's a thing they do on the reg, its a paid advertisement in article form basically so thats why it reads like one.

Every weekday the Commerce Team brings you Gizmodo Deals, Kotaku Deals, and Lifehacker Deals, the very best coverage of deals on consumer technology, video games, apps, and everything else you care about. When you buy, we also make money. We want your feedback.

At first I had to double take too as I thought Kotaku were involved in this deal somehow.

If so, they could've made it much clearer. Even people in the comment section on Kotaku seem unsure about the tone of that article, even if I understand that this is the "commerce" side of Kotaku, and not the "editorial" side.

#17 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic:

I think there are ways around it? If i'm reading correctly. The loophole will probably closed soon enough I assume since it's a lot cheaper for EU to buy from US store.

#18 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2505 posts) -

@roarimadinosaur said:

@selfconfessedcynic:

I think there are ways around it? If i'm reading correctly. The loophole will probably closed soon enough I assume since it's a lot cheaper for EU to buy from US store.

Hmmm.... I have a shipito address I use for mail forwarding. I may try this out after we find out more about how this pans out - also, I want to see how easy it is to have multiple region accounts on a PS4.

If all goes well, Amazon (and I assume Sony on the side) is going to get a whole deal more of my money.

#19 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: But you are right, Sony need to do this for all regions and territory. I'm curious to see how far they will push digital in 2014. Hope they can get more stores on there service. Get Steam on there too.

#20 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2505 posts) -

@roarimadinosaur said:

@selfconfessedcynic: But you are right, Sony need to do this for all regions and territory. I'm curious to see how far they will push digital in 2014. Hope they can get more stores on there service. Get Steam on there too.

Man, if they somehow get both amazon and Steam...

I mean... I was excited about next gen aready, but these are actually some seriously forward thinking and progressive moves in digital distribution. I'm so impressed right now.

But yes, hopefully the idea spreads outside the states. At a minimum to Amazon UK and elsewhere in the EU/JP regions. As an Aussie, I'm used to finding ways of getting games for US prices anyway, so I don't mind if we get skipped for now.

#21 Edited by TruthTellah (8781 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

I've been on Kotaku regularly for years, and this is news to me. Kotaku specifically marks Sponsored posts and Advertisements. This isn't marked like those.

In the past, Kotaku Deals and their "Commerce Team" have made connections with stores like Amazon or GoG, but to my knowledge, none of their deals have directly partnered them with a game company. Since Sony has partnered with Amazon, who is partnered with Kotaku, doesn't that mean Kotaku is in some way partnered with Sony? I mean, it appears that they will be actively promoting this store and gaining money from Sony products being sold. Is there not a potential issue there?

#22 Posted by RazielCuts (2950 posts) -

@amyggen: Yeah it reads very weird, like more than just an advertisement, 'We're excited to introduce' is more than just saying 'Hey, here's a cool thing that we want you to know about.'

I guess maybe they worked together with Sony/Amazon to get first dibs on reporting it so thats why they're 'excited to introduce' this? Getting those first story page views.

#23 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel $29.99 $26.24

Batman: Arkham Origins $59.99 $56.02

Deadpool $49.99 $39.49

The Last of Us $59.99 $58.76

Madden NFL 25 $59.99 $46.22

MLB 13 The Show $39.99 $29.96

prices already seem to be different. 50$ for Fifa 14 is a steal. IT would be 60 Euro in Germany. Come on black friday make me happy^^

#24 Posted by RazielCuts (2950 posts) -

@truthtellah: Do Kotaku actually do reviews though? I didn't think they did. I thought they were just a 24 hour news cycle site now. Which I guess still holds a problem if they're more inclined to report Sony news over other things and what light they present that news in.

It is weird theres no denying that, I guess I don't find it as weird because I generally consider Kotaku a click bait trash headline machine anyway so I don't see this too out of character for them. If it were somewhere like Polygon I'd feel a bit more weird about it, like the 'sponsored by Internet Explorer' Press Reset videos were weird at the time because that means they were tangentially getting paid from Microsoft but in the end they have the intellectual credibility to back any wrong doing up.

#25 Edited by AMyggen (2851 posts) -

@razielcuts: Kotaku write reviews, not with a score but with a "yes" or "no" to the question "Should I buy this" (I've also seen "not yet" as an alternative).

Example (of a way too long review): GTA V review

#26 Edited by TruthTellah (8781 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@truthtellah:

Do Kotaku actually do reviews though? I didn't think they did. I thought they were just a 24 hour news cycle site now. Which I guess still holds a problem if they're more inclined to report Sony news over other things and what light they present that news in.

It is weird theres no denying that, I guess I don't find it as weird because I generally consider Kotaku a click bait trash headline machine anyway so I don't see this too out of character for them. If it were somewhere like Polygon I'd feel a bit more weird about it, like the 'sponsored by Internet Explorer' Press Reset videos were weird at the time because that means they were tangentially getting paid from Microsoft but in the end they have the intellectual credibility to back any wrong doing up.

Kotaku does write reviews and previews, and they write many serious articles looking into game companies and issues within gaming. The reality is far from the caricature believed by many people. They're like if Destructoid and Polygon formed a single site. Heck, the former head of Kotaku is one of the main people at Polygon. Kotaku, under the leadership of Editor in Chief Stephen Totilo(former boss of Patrick), does attempt to strike a balance in coverage. They post a lot of crap along with the real content, but there is still a lot of real content.

I care about Kotaku as a place I've visited for many years full of numerous gamer friends, and while I can handle people making random accusations and insults toward the site, I am bothered by a genuine question of their fairness. If this is as it appears to be, it raises a lot of questions, and I hope that there is a good explanation for how they can maintain some fairness and gamer trust while they directly gain from the success of a major game company they cover.

#27 Edited by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

Really looking forward to see if they undercut PS+ deals. I know I saw on there they have Fatal Frame for $4 and Sly Cooper Thieves in Time for $20.

Also, it is SO much easier going through their storefront than the current PlayStation Store. Even though it has improved quite a bit since the redesign, it's still rough at times.

#28 Posted by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -

@roarimadinosaur said:

@selfconfessedcynic:

Actually, this exploit has existed for years for their PC digital downloads, including games that rely on Steam activation, so I think there's actually a decent chance it might stay in place for PSN stuff too. Sony has some incentive to let it slide on their end; while it's still operating through Amazon as an intermediary, you're not forced to buy PSN cards from import sites that mark up their prices by 10-50% the listed value of the card as has been the case up until now, meaning that more money from "imported" PSN purchases stays in the hands of Sony and developers/publishers, rather than going to people making a quick buck off of a serial code, even if Amazon takes a cut from each purchase. On the consumer end of things, they get to save money by not having to pay for those mark ups, therefore enabling them to hypothetically purchase that much more content online. Given that the system as it currently is seemingly doesn't otherwise allow for region locking by design unless you buy PSN stuff through Sony directly, I imagine that they have a lot more incentive to turn a blind eye to this than to actually clamp it down.

Very much so hoping they roll this out for Amazon Japan soon. I know they already offer PC game downloads as well, so it would be nice to see this extended to PSN since Japan is warming up to game downloads since the 3DS' release. It would be extremely nice to be able to pick up some rarer Japan-only PS1 classics and a handful of PS3 games that way rather than spending half my budget on just paying a reseller $50 for walking down the street and picking up a card.

#29 Edited by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@razielcuts said:

If so, they could've made it much clearer. Even people in the comment section on Kotaku seem unsure about the tone of that article, even if I understand that this is the "commerce" side of Kotaku, and not the "editorial" side.

This kind of advertorial is getting more and more common and could be starting to become a problem. Google in particular does not like it. They stated a while back that such articles need to be marked in the html code so they can be separated out of search. If they get found and aren't marked as such then the whole site could get removed from google search results. And that's not just idle threats either; they have removed some newspapers from their search results due to these sorts of paid articles.

#30 Posted by Nubikal (106 posts) -

Competition in the digital marketplace sounds fantastic, should go a long way to stopping digital prices being falsely inflated and this makes one less major retailer for Sony to worry about when cutting prices. Hopefully it comes to the UK too, without having to go through the US billing address / PSN account workaround.

#31 Posted by Vanick (328 posts) -

This seems like a very good step in the right direction for digital game prices. Hopefully Microsoft does this as well. Competition is key for better prices.

#32 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@nubikal said:

Competition in the digital marketplace sounds fantastic, should go a long way to stopping digital prices being falsely inflated and this makes one less major retailer for Sony to worry about when cutting prices. Hopefully it comes to the UK too, without having to go through the US billing address / PSN account workaround.

Even if it goes the prices in Europe are "much" higher than the ones in the US alone because of the $.

#33 Posted by FakeKisser (324 posts) -

This is great. I really hope that this is a step further to seeing the kind of sales on console digital content as we see on PC.

#34 Edited by JayEH (524 posts) -

Yeah I noticed that Batman was selling on Amazon digitally for 51 (compared to 60 on PSN). I didn't give it much though yesterday but man this could be huge.

#35 Edited by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Wait ummm how is this diff from stores selling the codes to download on your system?

Cause that is all this is. Game stop has been doing this for years now. I bought a few psp game codes that where cheaper through game stop then sonys store.