Yes, we all know about the direct downloads of Sony content on PSN to be slow. But that is because Sony is limiting the speed at which people can leech their downloads.
What I'm talking about is the speeds of PS3 and PS4 when downloading from OTHER servers, from browsing Facebook photos to streaming a YouTube video to doing a google search.
Something is radically wrong with the way Sony consoles handle internet, and no one seems able to help. People can barely acknowledge what's wrong without sending you down some Kafka rabbit hole.
Here are the following misinformed answers people have given on various parts of the internet.
1) "PSN store downloads are slow that's why." No, I'm talking about lag, slow browsing speeds of all websites. Meaning, if I download PS4 firmware on PC to a USB stick, it will be 4MB/s as my 32Mbit connection should allow, only when using the console itself to download it is slow.
2) "PSN is free you get what you pay for." Not anymore on PS4.
3) "PS3/PS4s test connection isn't as reliable as speedtest.net" While that website doesn't work in console browsers there are HTML5 websites like http://speedof.me/ that show 33.85mbps download on Xbox 360s Internet Explorer but only 8.12mbps on PS4's browser.
4) "It's a port forwarding/quality of service problem. PS3 is 802.11g!" I plug my modem directly into 360 via Ethernet and it shows 33.85mbps and plays online games with no lag. I do the exact same with PS3 and 4, same cord, same modem (both before and after a reset) and the speed is 8mbps and the online is unplayable due to lag.
5) "Call Sony/your ISP." Both companies say to call the other one, then give you their predetermined grandma advice such as 'have you tried resetting your modem?' 'here's how to login to your router...' and 'are you sure an Ethernet cable isn't loose?' Or the granddaddy of em all 'perhaps the network is experiencing (blank) try again later' or 'this time of evening lots of people in your neighborhood...' again paying ZERO attention that I've said the Xbox 360 works fine. My internet isn't broken due to neighbors Netflixing or my phone streaming giant bomb quick looks because the Xbox and the PC can still download and game online just fine. Before I upgraded my Time Warner I had their 15meg bundle and Xbox always showed 14-ish and played fine, and when I upgraded to their 30meg tier it only got appropriately faster, even exceeding the rated speed. On the night I called TWC to bump tiers, before and after the technician doubled the speed the PS3 always showed 7-10meg speeds with far worse upstreams.
---- I though these problems were PS3 exclusive, due to the brand of Ethernet slot included (PS3 being so non standard with its proprietary CPU, and PS3 seemingly being designed for Japan, which for one doesn't care about online gaming so much and two, because PS3 was a global system the Ethernet jack they used might have been only as a fast as a universal all-territories one could be.)
Like if one type of SNES was built for PAL and NTSC both and the games ran terribly in both places because of it.
PS4 fixed a lot of the Japanese RPG focused jank of PS3, but this connection problem remains. Google is loaded with forums of people saying "I've got a 70meg internet service and PS3 only allows 2megs!" Something is broke with how they handle internet.
To reiterate A) It's not just me B) it's not just PS Store content and patches C) it's not router modem setting or ethernet cable brand biased D) Xbox live works fine and is now only $10 more per year E) it's not a rare outage of PSN or due to the launch of a major game or system in a territory F) it's not the time of day or the place you live
Something's wrong with how internet is handled on PS consoles, and PS4 didn't fix it. If anything my speed tests are slower than PS3 and the lag is tenfold worse.
Can we get a petition over something that actually is a major flaw for a change?