• 77 results
#1 Edited by Milkman (16664 posts) -

I'm one of the suckers who ordered a PS4 when it was in stock on Amazon the night of release and since hooking it up yesterday, it has been nothing but a fucking headache.

It all started well enough. I hooked up everything, signed into my PSN account, downloaded Resogun, Contrast, Flower and Sound Shapes. Everything was working fine. Then I decided that I needed another game to play so I bought NBA 2K14 from the PlayStation Store. It downloaded and installed from the store with no issues so I put my PS4 into stand by mode and did something else for a while.

When I returned to my PS4, I noticed that yellow light that indicated it was in stand by mode was now off. I turned on my system and it tells me that it was not "shut down properly." Nonetheless, everything seemed to be in working order so I loaded up NBA 2K14, knowing that I would have to play that demo mode while it finished installing the rest of the game. I played a full game. The install went from 11% to 14%. Great. So, I said fuck this and turned off my PS4.

Later in the night, I turn on my PS4 to get to the bottom of this 2K14 business to find my system won't boot up at all. The light on the console just continually flashes blue and I get no audio or video. I google this issue to find a bunch of people complaining about the "blue light of death." I'm pretty fucking furious at this point. I try to turn the thing but nothing is responding so I'm forced to just pull the plug. I try unplugging everything from the console, plugging it into to different outlets, all this shit but it's the same result.

In a last ditch effort, I open up the HDD bay and poke around at the hard drive for a bit. I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing so after doing that shit for a couple minutes, I hook it up one more time before I smash the piece of shit with a hammer and MIRACULOUSLY, it works!

Awesome. So, now I can figure out what's going with 2K14. I load it up, it's still in that demo mode, I play another full game. And the install moves about 5%. At this rate, I should have the install done by next week some time. Great. At this point, it's pretty late so I decide to try this stand by mode again and hopefully, the install will be done when I wake up.

I wake up this morning and lo and behold, the PS4 shut itself off again from standby mode. It gives me the same bullshit about not shutting down properly and 2K14 is not installed. Now, I just delete the whole thing and re-download it all. It downloads at a pretty decent speed and I load up the demo mode install again. To the surprise of no one, same fucking unbelievably slow install process. I've had it running for about 40 minutes and it has moved 9%. I guess I'm just going to leave it going until it finishes because I'm not sure what the hell else I can do. Maybe if I'm lucky it will be over halfway done when Giant Bomb's Xbox One stream is over. But great first impression, Sony! It's awesome to be an early adopter!

TL;DR - just buy a fucking PC.

#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3801 posts) -

Rough man.

This is why I am definitely glad I'm not buying either console day 1. The consoles now are so dependent on all these services and features, and what launches smoothly anymore? Plus then hardware issues... wow, no thanks. I'll just wait.

As for 2K, yeah I saw it work pretty quick on the PS4 stream, but I saw Cheapy D from Cheapassgamer.com says it took him like more than 4 + hours to install the game after download. Pretty insane.

#3 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Ha! The PS4 has the same blinking blue light of death the Wii U did at launch. Does Xbox One also have a blue light?

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Welcome to launch consoles. It does not end well.

#5 Edited by marc (502 posts) -

Format your hard drive if you can. Sounds like something on the drive is corrupted causing issues.

#6 Edited by psylah (2170 posts) -
#7 Edited by MetalBaofu (1374 posts) -

You might want to consider trying to get a replacement or something. With it shutting itself down, not turning on that time, and the super slow install it's definitely not working right. I've had none of that happen at all.

Edit: I want to add that I can't comment on the install length of NBA, because I don't have that game. It could just be that that particular game installs super slow for everyone.

#8 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

@marc said:

Format your hard drive if you can. Sounds like something on the drive is corrupted causing issues.

I could initialize the system but I'm just afraid that I'll do that, have to re-download everything and then have the same problems with this slow install.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

I haven't had any issues with mine and have been enjoying the hell out of it. Sirr you aren't having the same luck. I also have nba and it was by far the longest install of any game I have.

#10 Edited by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

Sony's ability to create a cohesive network/UI system is easily my number one reason for questioning the PS4. Despite all the nice things I've heard about the system, the bad things I've heard thus far align too well with my post-PS3 concerns for me to consider buying one yet.

#11 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

@milkman said:

@marc said:

I could initialize the system but I'm just afraid that I'll do that, have to re-download everything and then have the same problems with this slow install.

Oh, okay. This is good. I decided to say fuck it and try this out and now I'm back to the blinking blue light. This is rad. I love the future.

#12 Edited by marc (502 posts) -

@milkman said:

@marc said:

If it is an issue with a corrupted file on the hard drive, while everything would have to be redownloaded and installed, a format would definitely fix the issues you are having.

MY friend had a similar issue with his the night he bought it. took it to my place, i formatted his drive for him, booted it back up, the console did it's thing to reinstall all the OS and update stuff, and has worked flawlessly since.

#13 Posted by joshwent (2172 posts) -

I think you mean, "This thing is a complete mess [for me and a few others who are experiencing absolutely expected hardware problems]".

Sucks that you're having a shitty time with it, but when malfunctions seem appropriately limited and in keeping with necessary tech manufacturing failure rates, calling any device a "complete mess" is needlessly hyperbolic.

Still, that sounds really annoying and I hope you can get it fixed easily. Blow in the cartridge?

#14 Posted by Marokai (2899 posts) -

@milkman said:

Definitely the way to go if you don't ever want to deal with technical issues, you're right.

#15 Edited by Tesla (1919 posts) -

You bashed it with a hammer? Smart.

Judging by this post, you aren't the best at troubleshooting technical problems. I would not recommend a PC for you.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

Definitely the way to go if you don't ever want to deal with technical issues, you're right.

Yes, I'm aware. I was half joking. One of the main reasons I went with a console over a PC was to avoid having to fuck with technical stuff. It's working out awesome.

@tesla said:

Judging by this post, you aren't the best at troubleshooting technical problems. I would not recommend a PC for you.

Yep, I hit with a hammer. That's how I fix all my electronics, don't you?

#17 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3801 posts) -

@tesla said:

Wow guy.

#18 Posted by spraynardtatum (2811 posts) -

:(

That's a bummer. Hope you get it to work eventually because the PS4 has been a ton of fun.

#19 Posted by Seikenfreak (367 posts) -

That's a shame.

..but apparently you are in the minority so I don't think the system is a "complete mess".

Been using mine for like 12 hours a day since launch, stand-by mode at night, and plugged and unplugged HDMI a few times. Only issue I had was the way I seem to use my left index finger on the L2 trigger felt like I had worn/broke something in there that it was getting chunky. Took it apart, didn't see anything wrong, put it back together and the problem seems to be gone.

#20 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2690 posts) -

I would replace your system, but it seems like your system was not doing standby mode well - knowing teh reaosn why might be key. If your next system does the same thing start investigating your power situation. If you get brown outs at you house or have the system hooked up to a full power strip I would try to fix that.

#21 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

@milkman: Don't get me wrong I love to hammer smash electronics. But do it to the old useless crap, Office Space style. Not on the shiny new box!

I know having shit not work can be rage inducing, but the worst case scenario for you is you send it back to Sony and get a brand new console. Maybe a few months of PS+ for your troubles if you sweet talk the customer service rep. If you get too happy with the hammer now you could jeopardize that option.

#22 Edited by Milkman (16664 posts) -

Yeah so, trying to initialize the hard drive seemed like the last straw with this thing so instead of continuing the headache of screwing around with it, I placed a replacement order with Amazon.

They're always pretty good with this stuff so I shouldn't have to wait too long for a new one and it's not like there's anything I'm dying to play right now so I guess it could be worse? Still, I think I'm done buying consoles at launch, just for the thrill of having new shiny shit.

#23 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3801 posts) -

@milkman: This has taken a tragic turn since I remember you saying "fuck it!" in the thread about Amazon putting up PS4's suddenly at midnight :(. Good luck man.

#24 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I think it's the universe punishing me for my weak impulses. I deserve this.

#25 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

SOMETHING WRONG HAPPENED AND I AM GOING TO RAGE INTO A TEXT BOX ON THE INTERNET

#26 Edited by Milkman (16664 posts) -
#27 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Can't believe poking around at the hard drive for a bit didn't fix it. Are you sure you poked it enough?

#28 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Sorry man, I feel partially responsible. :) Why didn't you call Sony? They might have sweetened the pot for your trouble!

#29 Posted by Slag (4250 posts) -

@milkman:

That blows duder.

Hopefully you left out the hammer part when talking to Amazon about this...

#30 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

I feel I should be more clear here: I DID NOT hit my PS4 with a hammer. That was a JOKE.

#31 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

lold

#32 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Well that's terrible. Have it replaced and see if you still have the issues.

And to everyone saying this ins't a widespread issue: no one knows for sure yet just how widespread it is (or whether or not the issue will intensify in the long-term). Yes, vocal minorities exist, but I don't know, sure seems like a lot of reports of bad systems. Which is unfortunate.

#33 Posted by wjb (1656 posts) -

@milkman said:

I feel I should be more clear here: I DID NOT hit my PS4 with a hammer. That was a JOKE.

I'm no expert, but I think you shouldn't hit your PS4 with a hammer.

(Jeez, what's with this guy and hammers, eh?)

#34 Edited by Hailinel (24407 posts) -

There was a guy I knew back in middle school and high school that was such a shithead that his dad destroyed his Genesis with a sledgehammer to teach him a lesson.

I have nothing else to add tot his except that I'm sad to hear that your PS4 isn't working properly.

#35 Posted by squiDc00kiE (351 posts) -

Sorry dude seems like you got stuck in the "acceptable 3% failure rate". My has been perfectly smooth apart from the first midnight for a few hours (which I completely expected).

#36 Edited by Cramsy (1166 posts) -

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

Yeah he's totally right man. It was one of the best days of my life when I had to fuck around for 4 hours trying to get the sims 3 to work on my sisters laptop. It was just so easy to download patches and drivers, reinstall corrupted files, deal with origin then start and re-start the game with different graphic settings until it ran smoothly. Truly an issue-free platform

#37 Edited by dionysis (51 posts) -

I had some minor power cycling issues early on, but I found it was just an issue with the power cable not being fully seated in the socket. It doesn't fit very well and you really have to jam it in for it to seat properly.

If that isn't it, I'd RMA it as defective. If it's a loose connection or internal short, you want to get it replaced before you have tons of saves and installed games on the HD. Of course with all the cloud replication with the new consoles, maybe that isn't a huge issue.

#38 Edited by fmprodguy (53 posts) -

You have two seperate problems. There is something wrong with the ps4 is it's not going to sleep mode and staying there call sony tech ASAP!

The download speed is sony's network. I have both xb1 and ps4, say what u will abou ms, but they have a better network. downloads are way faster. day one patch on ps4 took almost an hour for 300+ mb, xb2 took less than 20 for 400+... Besides the network I love them both so far! Bring on infamous and titianfall!!

#39 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

hammer joke wasnt funny

#40 Posted by wjb (1656 posts) -

Some of the comments here...lol.

I always wanted to buy a console on launch -- especially now that they can ship it to you day of -- but I just have to stop myself and wait at least several months to a year to get one.

I'm behind with backlog anyway -- haven't really played anything since August, except for GTA V -- so that'll keep me busy until sometime next year. This is the period where I go back and play all the games I've missed this generation, too.

#41 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1568 posts) -

I'm pretty sure there is a song about buying consoles at launch

#42 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

Didn't the NBA install take a while on the livestream though? Sorry to hear about your issues. I wonder how many folks are having issues from that last batch of orders vs. the early pre-orders?

#43 Edited by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

no problems here, got a launch unit as well. genuinely sorry to hear though.

hammer joke wasnt funny.

#44 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3801 posts) -

@tarsier said:

hammer joke wasnt funny

Tough crowd!

#45 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

Yeah seriously just RMA it or take it to a Sony store or whatever

#46 Edited by Dezztroy (787 posts) -

@cramsy said:

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

Yeah he's totally right man. It was one of the best days of my life when I had to fuck around for 4 hours trying to get the sims 3 to work on my sisters laptop. It was just so easy to download patches and drivers, reinstall corrupted files, deal with origin then start and re-start the game with different graphic settings until it ran smoothly. Truly an issue-free platform

If it took you 4 hours to install Sims 3, maybe PC gaming isn't for you.

#47 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3801 posts) -

@dezztroy said:

@cramsy said:

@marokai said:

@milkman said:

If it took you 4 hours to install Sims 3, maybe PC gaming isn't for you.

This thread is alright.

#48 Posted by pyrodactyl (1975 posts) -

meh, a normal 4% failure rate means a lot of people will complain on a forum if 1M people bought that thing. Sucks for you man but you'll get a replacement for free eventually. I'm having a blast with my PS4 on AC4 and that busted ass BF4 multiplayer. Even with these issues I think it's well worthwhile if you don't already have a gaming PC.

#49 Edited by Flappy (2198 posts) -

I've been lucky enough to have a PS4 without any issues, but I'm sorry to hear about that, homie. Hopefully this all works out for ya and you can get some 2k14 in.

#50 Posted by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

"..I hook it up one more time before I smash the piece of shit with a hammer.."

For all of the people replying with the helpful wtf hammer advice.

Sorry to hear the launch didn't go smoothly for you duder, however it is interesting to think of yourself as a special statistic. Now whenever someones like, "the PS4 launch was waaaaaaaaay better than the last gens launch!" You'll be all like, "Nah man, my PS4 was all sorts of fucked up when I got it at launch."

and one more person will not purchase day one hardware.