VGLeaks Rumor: Final Fantasy XV PS4 Sony co-developing

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

looks like after the reccent hardware leaks VGleaks has a new one. And note ever leak they had was true.

Final Fantasy XV will be exclusive on PS4

Square-Enix has had problems in the current gen, I suspect that the company couldn’t adapt Final Fantasy and other IPs to the HD era. Moreover, the first version of FF14 was a downfall, this game forced to stop the development of other games to focus in the rebuild of FF14. Really it’s like a new game.

Square-Enix announced Final Fantasy Versus XIII years ago and the game was lost in the limbo. Square decided to halt Versus PS3 development two years ago, but the RPG wasn’t cancelled, why? Two years ago, Square-Enix moved the game to PS4 and Sony got in the project.

Actually Sony is co-developing the game with Square-Enix, therefore, this game will be exclusive on PS4. Square renamed Versus to FF15 in the middle of this process. Sony’s studios are helping SE with FF15 assets among other tasks.

We hinted this PS4 exclusive one month ago, but we couldn’t speak freely about this topic. Now, it’s all that we can say.

http://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy-xv-will-be-exclusive-on-ps4/

Also note this is labeled as Versus renamed to FFXV.

But none or less a exclusive FF woud be huge^^

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Hmmmm.... I don't know about all this. If Microsoft were to grab a FF exclusive, it'd be a big boon. But, Sony? Um, it'll do just fine.

VGLeaks post got removed. Err, whatever.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aegon

Makes sense. I feel like maybe I'm expecting too much from this game, but I remain excited.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This would be a great grab for Sony. Hopefully true.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

Hmmmm.... I don't know about all this. If Microsoft were to grab a FF exclusive, it'd be a big boon. But, Sony? Um, it'll do just fine.

VGLeaks post got removed. Err, whatever.

Na that was my fault. I linked wrong.... Should work now.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Mmkay, works no, thanks! Still interesting. Sadly indifferent. But!, E3 looks better and better every day.

Oh, and Mr. Enix did tell us to please exited for E3. So, there's that.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

I just don't see it happening. Multiplat just makes way more financial sense. Every able developer/publisher is going in that direction. Then again, even as a square fan, they've been dumb as fuck so nothing will surprise me anymore.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By golguin

Wasn't everyone saying the Versus was going to be renamed and moved to the new consoles?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It's not that hard to imagine being true. Considering how little FF XIII sold on 360 compared to the PS3 version it probably wouldn't be that expensive for Sony to compensate Square Enix to have it has an exclusive.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aegon

@liquiddragon said:

I just don't see it happening. Multiplat just makes way more financial sense. Every able developer/publisher is going in that direction. Then again, even as a square fan, they've been dumb as fuck so nothing will surprise me anymore.

FF 13 sold 5M (~70%) on PS3 and 2M (~30%) on 360

13-2 sold 2.3M (~80%) on PS3 and 630K (~20%) on 360

I'm guessing these numbers influenced the decision to partner up with Sony like in the more profitable days for the company.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Wasn't Versus supposed to be a Sony exclusive already? Either way, Enix has been in the habit of changing every game in the "Fabula Nova Crystallis" since they announced that crap, so i wouldn't be shocked if it was true.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll believe it when I see it! They hyped the game when the PS3 was introduced it has been years and nothing came out of it minus random trailers of course (gotta keep the folks dreaming). The hype for this game died, at least for me.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Even if this is true, Square has to prove they still know how to make good games before this means anything. Final Fantasy 13 wasn't terrible, but it was no where near good enough for me to care if it is a system exclusive. I'm sure the name still carries some weight with the general public, but they blew whatever reputation they had with most of the fans this generation with constant delays and mediocre products.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This damn game needs to hurry up and be done so Kingdom Hearts 3 can finally start development.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By moffattron9000

@aegon said:

@liquiddragon said:

FF 13 sold 5M (~70%) on PS3 and 2M (~30%) on 360

13-2 sold 2.3M (~80%) on PS3 and 630K (~20%) on 360

I'm guessing these numbers influenced the decision to partner up with Sony like in the more profitable days for the company.

At $60 a pop, XIII made 120 million and XIII-2 made 37 million on 360. While not all of that would have gone to Square Enix, that would be a considerable amount of money to leave on the table, and with this upcoming generation threatening to be so volatile, it may be too big of a risk. Then again Sony does own 8.25% of Square Enix so maybe their now using it. All I know is that this is going to being a great generation to watch.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely believe this, I feel like it's been the rumour for months now and it's true that we haven't seen any Versus XIII stuff in years. The game always looked a bit ambitious for the PS3.

Financial sense is having games people want so they buy their system at launch. Sure, it's financial sense to put out a game on every platform now, what with there being tens of millions of each console in homes worldwide, but if the Xbox is comparable to the PS4, I'll be buying a console based purely on games, and FFXV(?) is one of the games that would definitely sway me to the PS4.

I think Sony stands to make more money getting more PS4s into homes than publishing one multiplatform game.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aegon

@jjor64 said:

This damn game needs to hurry up and be done so Kingdom Hearts 3 can finally start development.

d-(^_^)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It sounds entirely possible, but I'll remain skeptical for now. I do hope that its true though. Mainly because I want to see something finally happen with versus XIII.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Im still hyped from that original Versus 13 trailer so i hope this rumor is true. Been 7 years now

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By liquiddragon

@benny: The people that care about which platform they get their new final fantasy is gonna buy a PS4 and FFXV with it, regardless. I think me and you are probably in that group. As much as I want to believe it, Final Fantasy is just not the console pusher it once was. We don't live in Japan where it would've been PS4 exclusive anyway.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I don't care, just give me another FF game. Whoever needs to throw money at Squeenix just do it already.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That'd be a smart thing to do. Hopefully true. I've been waiting for that fucking game forever.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this is true, I think it'd be good for both parties. SE could benefit from some help and an exclusive FF game would sell consoles for Sony. The 3 Japanese guys who were going to buy the next XBox will be pissed though.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can totally see this being true.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think this is mutually beneficial. Square frees up some of their dev teams to work on more projects so the Eidos side of the company does not have to carry them, as well as not having to pay for all of FFXV development cost, FFXV comes out far sooner then expected, Sony gets a big name exclusive (whether it matters is debatable but FF is still a big name) that is a considerably different from Brown FPS 2.0.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't care where this comes out on or how, but Square's bizarrely long dev times for FF games have to be solved. If Sony stepping in as a dev partner and urging them to get their asses moving is what it takes, then props to Sony, as it seems Square can't develop a new game without taking six years.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Versus looked like it was going to be fucking awesome and if this is true then I guess I'm buying a PS4.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If true then I'm totally buying a PS4 first and as soon as I can ... I just want this damn game already.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now Im excited that Versus is now a "numerically proper" FF game

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FFFFFFF

I hope not. I don't get why people are okay with the idea either.

A company shouldn't be able to promise something for like 6 years and then never deliver.

A name change is probably going to happen though. Especially if Lightning Returns bargain bins as fast as 13-2 did.

Also, giving up the large PS3 install base to the much smaller initial PS4 install base seems like a very un-Square like thing to do. They have a history of late gen releases that have done well for them.

Just thought of another. SE is supposed to release FF14 for PS3 this year, right? That's another reason they should have for supporting late gen PS3. If you were to release an sub-based MMO for a system, I think it would be smart to encourage everyone to keep it plugged in for as long as possible. Moving your most anticipated game to the shiny new thing is doing the opposite.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Shaka999

I just wanna see Versus. I really don't care what system it comes out for.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's possible, there are always way more exclusives at the beginning of the cycle than the end.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This has been rumored for ages, and I could see it happening, but I have very little faith in Square Enix to deliver a game of the caliber that it needs to be for Final Fantasy to become relevant again. There aren't many people outside of Japan with much good will left towards Square.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@cameron said:

Even if this is true, Square has to prove they still know how to make good games before this means anything. Final Fantasy 13 wasn't terrible, but it was no where near good enough for me to care if it is a system exclusive. I'm sure the name still carries some weight with the general public, but they blew whatever reputation they had with most of the fans this generation with constant delays and mediocre products.

My thoughts exactly. I'm leaning towards going with Sony this gen, I'm really not happy with a lot of what Microsoft has been doing (we still have to see their console though, of course) but having Final Fantasy as an exclusive series wouldn't influence by decision in the slightest, especially if Nomura is still in charge of the project.