#1 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Announced during Sony's Keynote presentation.

#2 Posted by Korwin (2866 posts) -

I like to imagine that Vinny whinged to Adam about it PAX and Adam went back to the office and busted a testicle.

#3 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

lol at jebailey's tweet in there.

is funny to me

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

It has some something to do with blu ray, probably an anti piracy measure of some sort. And since Sony has a huge stake in bluray, theyre probably capable of doing away with it on ps4. I wonder if ms will be able to do the same thing (since the one has blu ray). They'd probably need permission from sony...

#5 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

@naru_joe93: Yes I imagine the whole HDCP issue is to do with copyright holders for all the streaming services, music and Blu ray.

#6 Edited by benpicko (2008 posts) -

It has some something to do with blu ray, probably an anti piracy measure of some sort. And since Sony has a huge stake in bluray, theyre probably capable of doing away with it on ps4. I wonder if ms will be able to do the same thing (since the one has blu ray). They'd probably need permission from sony...

No, HDCP is only disabled for games on the Xbox One and I imagine that's what they've announced here for the PS4.

#7 Posted by flippyandnod (387 posts) -

Another easy-to-make decision that Sony actually made the right way. I swear, the PS4 is such a change it almost feels like it isn't Sony.

And this is a good thing.

#8 Posted by flippyandnod (387 posts) -

@benpicko said:
@naru_joe93 said:

No, HDCP is only disabled for games on the Xbox One and I imagine that's what they've announced here for the PS4.

Outputting bluray content over HDMI/DVI (or any other digital output) without HDCP or similar end-to-end protection is against the Bluray consortium licensing rules. Neither console is going to allow it.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

@benpicko said:
@naru_joe93 said:

Outputting bluray content over HDMI/DVI (or any other digital output) without HDCP or similar end-to-end protection is against the Bluray consortium licensing rules. Neither console is going to allow it.

But they've both announced that it's disabled during games

#10 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

The latest news of it may come with a few caveats of its own.

Sony has refuted earlier reports that the PlayStation 4 would block external gameplay recordings by encrypting its HDMI output with high-bandwidth digital content protection (HDCP) while games are being played.

The announcement apparently came during this morning's keynote presentation by Sony executives,

but got a bit garbled by the translator ("PS4 users HDM to write to external memory (this part is unclear to me)" is how I captured it in our liveblog). "PlayStation 4 will support gameplay recording over HDMI" a Sony representative clarified to me later. "More details are coming in the future."

While that's heartening news for the growing hordes of players that regularly record gameplay content for YouTube and streaming services (not to mention working journalists and eSports broadcasters), the language is still a bit vague.

Sony pointedly didn't say that HDMI recording would work for all games, leaving open the possibility that individual developers will be able to turn on HDCP on a game-by-game basis (it's already been confirmed that individual developers can block internal Share button functionality if they wish).

It's also unclear if HDMI recordings will be available by default, or will require some sort of software or license fee to activate.

In any case, its good to hear the company taking steps to address the concerns of content creators that rely on external capture devices to generate the basis of their work.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ure-over-hdmi/

Hopefully it works out for all parties involved. We will just have to wait and see till Sony announces further details.

#11 Posted by flippyandnod (387 posts) -

Having a license fee doesn't make any sense. Ars is throwing up a FUD wall for some reason.

While HDCP may not be off by default, there's no advantage to charging money to turn it off. The reason for HDCP is to satisfy content providers. If they demand it, it has to be on. Paying a separate fee won't get around that. So charging a fee would require Sony turn it on in cases where it isn't strictly necessary just for the purpose of charging you to turn it off. This is possible of course, but doesn't seem in keeping with what Sony is doing with PS4.

My guess (just a guess) is it will default to on always when you get the console. You will be able to select an item to turn it off at the XMB (equivalent). It'll then turn it off, but then when you try to do something that requires it be back on, like play a Bluray, Netflix or perhaps even Youtube, it'll say "you can't do this without turning HDCP back on".

The ideal case would be to have it turn itself on and off as necessary by default, but in reality the screen blanking out to negotiate HDCP when you switch between things you are doing would likely annoy people too much.

#12 Edited by EXTomar (4742 posts) -

It makes "sense" (or 'about as much sense as that scheme is') that HDCP is supported on media. It rarely made sense to enable HDCP on games though especially with modern trends showing people want to show and share their game play and HDCP makes that difficult and defeats the ease of use that is supposed to be the purpose of HDMI.

I am happy with any and all platforms with "unlocked" video for games.

#13 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

@extomar: I genuinely think some suits don't understand those trends and the benefits of social media or word of mouth. They are from the generation before video games and their first reaction might be something along the lines of "If they can already watch the content in full in a let's play series then that person is less likely to purchase the game".

I do think problems like these that inhibit or make it harder for the games media to capture video will buffer out over time. We just need to wait for those people to die. JK

#14 Posted by Tobyus (102 posts) -

I hope I dont look like an idiot here, but what does this mean? How will it work?

#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

@benpicko said:
@naru_joe93 said:

And I believe that blu ray players aren't allowed to have analogue output anymore, either. Hence why neither the PS4 or Xbox One have composite output. They could just only allow composite out for games and disable it whilst playing blu rays, but that would likely lead to confusion.

#16 Posted by cloudnineboya (821 posts) -

Why?what?how?

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Professional youtubers will be glad for it. And Sony should be too, for all the free promotional content youtubers will flood the net with, thanks to this.

I guess this was an issue for everyone with the PS3, even for our highly trained team of professionals here at GiantBomb. Good for Sony to finally change this small but significant detail.

HDCP was also the reason why PS3 footage frequently looked washed out, because it had to be recorded over component to circumvent HDCP.

#18 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1072 posts) -

@seppli: I could have sworn Vinny recorded everything through component.

#19 Edited by ColonelRick (114 posts) -

@tobyus said:

I hope I dont look like an idiot here, but what does this mean? How will it work?

HDCP encrypts the output on the HDMI port so that only HDCP compliant displays will be able to display it (they 'handshake' with the source, and get a key) The problem with this is that AFAIK NO capture device is HDCP compliant (which is done on purpose, to prevent easy piracy) which means that people making game videos for youtube etc. are effectively cut off from their material. There is a workaround solution to this, which is to use a device that strips the encryption from the signal. IIRC this is a bit of a gray area, legally speaking.

Without HDCP when playing games, you can just hook up a capture card with a HDMI-in on it, and it should work.