#1 Posted by joshth (506 posts) -

I now have the time and money to sink my teeth into a new open world game. I was planning on getting Watch Dogs, but with its "meh" response I was wondering which game you think is an overall better open world game for my PS4: Watch Dogs or Infamous Second Son?

Thanks duders!

#2 Posted by conmulligan (623 posts) -

I haven't started Watch Dogs yet, but Infamous is a lot of fun. It's a little short though, so don't go in expecting a ton of content.

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (1883 posts) -

Second Son sounds like it looks great but it rather short whereas Watch Dogs sounds more like an open world, GTA esque, kind of game.

So I guess whichever you're more into would work best for you.

#4 Edited by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

I get the impression that they both deliver on different things with variable degrees of success. Bet that helps a lot!

If I was locked to the offerings of the next-gen consoles I would probably be playing ACIV. If I was locked to Infamous vs Watchdogs, I'd probably end up going Watchdogs because I just recently bought and started playing Infamous 2 and its... ... ...not doing much.

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (16005 posts) -
@joshth said:

I now have the time and money to sink my teeth into a new open world game. I was planning on getting Watch Dogs, but with its "meh" response I was wondering which game you think is an overall better open world game for my PS4: Watch Dogs or Infamous Second Son?

Thanks duders!

What part of an 82 on Metacritic makes it seem like Watch Dogs is getting a "meh" response? It's a surprisingly fun game that looks quite pretty. Infamous is the prettier game, but has a lot less to do. The story for both of them are pretty solid, although Watch Dogs has a more mystery noire cyber punk thing going on, which is more intriguing.

#6 Edited by pyrodactyl (2180 posts) -

@liquidprince said:
@joshth said:

Thanks duders!

What part of an 82 on Metacritic makes it seem like Watch Dogs is getting a "meh" response? It's a surprisingly fun game that looks quite pretty. Infamous is the prettier game, but has a lot less to do. The story for both of them are pretty solid, although Watch Dogs has a more mystery noire cyber punk thing going on, which is more intriguing.

Infamous is a good game but a poor open world game. It's really good looking and fun but it's also short and the side activities are kind of drag.

Watch dogs hasn't the greatest open world (here's why) but if you have some imagination and like to role play to avoid breaking immersion it's awesome the things you can do in that game. It also has a lot more fun side content.

#7 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

If looks matter to you, get Infamous SS. My copy of WD hasn't arrived yet but I saw an in store demo and it didn't look as good. SS is one of the best looking console games I've ever seen.

Gameplay-wise it's an infamous game with the same old open world missions, a semi interesting story that you must suspend your disbelief to get through. The game is shallow as hell, but I don't think WD is any better. Seems like WD has way more content and online multiplayer. SS was an easy platinum, took me about 25 hours.

Honestly, I would buy whatever is cheapest. There are a few deals out there now for SS, and DLC is still to come. Sucker Punch did some pretty good add-ons for the last infamous. They'll probably do the same again.

AC4 for cheap may also be good. Gamefly has it for $20 used right now (link).

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (3232 posts) -

Watch Dogs for the multiplayer. Even though the load times are HORRENDOUS!

#9 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1810 posts) -

If you want a 40+ hour traditional open world experience, Watch Dogs is the only one of those two that will deliver that. However, when it comes to gameplay and presentation, Second Son is probably the best game on the system. It looks amazing, has tight controls and a lot of really fun powers to use, and some great traversal gameplay, but in terms of its open world sandbox aspect, it's lacking. Second Son is pretty much a 12 hour action adventure game that happens to feature an open world.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3178 posts) -

I would advise Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed IV if you want to play a real open world game. Watch Dogs edges it out for me simply because it is something new. Infamous is definitely not a bad pick though, it is just much shorter than the other two.

#11 Edited by Corevi (3944 posts) -

Watch Dogs will last you longer and has way more to do in the world, but Infamous is definitely a better game on top of being the most beautiful game I've ever seen. If you aren't completely burned out on AC you might want to play AC4?

#12 Posted by joshth (506 posts) -

It's looking like based on what I want right now Watch Dogs is the way to go. I'll probably grab Infamous when I can get it cheaper. Thanks for helping me out duders!

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

Second Son is short but its also a nice thrill ride while it lasts and you could get at least two play through out of it before you've seen everything so... that is around 25ish hours of possible content from it.

#14 Edited by PSNgamesun (411 posts) -

Story wise WD and Infamous are pretty much equal

Visuals go to infamous

The world itself goes to WDs easily

Gameplay, well it depends cause WD is pretty much GTA5 with minor tweaks of the sound and feel on everything (guns,running,cars,etc.) but infamous is like it's previous games. So if you like Infamous gameplay over GTA then infamous wins and vise versa.

Also in terms of content, I would give it to WDs, the main plot alone is longer than infamous campaign but then add in the extra stuff and the content on WDs is jammed packed.

At the end of the day I would say their both great, fun games. WD imo is a solid 8 and infamous is a 7.

#15 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5798 posts) -

I haven't played Watch dogs yet, but I highly recommend Infamous. It's an incredibly fun open world game.

#16 Posted by Zevvion (2082 posts) -

I'm biased to be honest. I have a grudge against the inFamous series. I think most inFamous games are just not that good and because people really like them I assert my opinion of not liking them extra heavily. So keep that in mind when I say:

inFamous really is nothing special. It's a superhero open world game and in that genre's it is one of, if not the, worst. It does an incredibly bad job of making you feel powerful. It looks so similar to a Crackdown or Prototype, but both those games handle the powers you have so much better. You're better of just buying Prototype 2 on Steam or something, probably.

And yeah, I'm being way harsh. Like I said, I'm biased towards those games. That said, I don't think Watch Dogs is all there either. What they showed of the game looked so cool and what you play is definitely cool and fun to play, it just doesn't reach the heights that they showed of. You don't really have to hack things, you can just shoot your way out of stuff and whatnot. But, I role-play Watch Dogs a bit. Pretending like I can't go in guns blazing and hacking stuff. It is a lot of fun to play it like that.

Not to mention, that game has a cockpit view for cars! It's really awesome. Very immersive to drive around like that I found. Makes the chases much more tense and exciting.

#17 Edited by awesomeusername (4209 posts) -

@zevvion: NDNAKFODM!! Better off buying Prototype 2?! Have you played Second Son? If yes, why'd you play it if you don't like the series? Infamous is wayyyyy better then the Prototype games. Can't judge Crackdown because I never played it. But both those games feature characters that are supposed to be like Superman/Hulk kind of characters with throwing tanks, running up walls, gliding, jumping long distances, etc. Which to me is kind of generic. The Infamous games go for elemental sort of powers which is far more interesting IMO. But I'm a huge Infamous (& Sucker Punch) fanboy so I'll defend the game to the death.

#18 Edited by Steadying (1336 posts) -

They're all boring checklist games with less than great stories (from what I hear, I haven't played WD myself yet), so, uh, I have no idea. Watch Dogs looks the most fun to me, though.

I thought Infamous kinda sucked, but I don't like any Infamous games, so whatever.

#19 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1888 posts) -

I was pretty "meh" on both of them (even though I loved the other 2 InFamous games). If you're set on getting one or the other, consider that InFamous will max you out at around 7 hours, but Watch Dogs has probably 5 times that much content, the flipside being that those activities get repetitive very quickly. I'd say InFamous has the slight edge in gameplay and is vastly prettier, but honestly I'm playing Transistor and Towerfall way more than I played either of those games, so there may be cheaper alternatives.

#20 Posted by Jesus_Phish (976 posts) -

If you want a sandbox to play in go with Watchdogs. Infamous doesn't have a whole bunch to do in terms of side missions or interesting activities that you didn't already do in the main game a bunch.

#21 Posted by Zevvion (2082 posts) -

@zevvion: NDNAKFODM!! Better off buying Prototype 2?! Have you played Second Son? If yes, why'd you play it if you don't like the series? Infamous is wayyyyy better then the Prototype games. Can't judge Crackdown because I never played it. But both those games feature characters that are supposed to be like Superman/Hulk kind of characters with throwing tanks, running up walls, gliding, jumping long distances, etc. Which to me is kind of generic. The Infamous games go for elemental sort of powers which is far more interesting IMO. But I'm a huge Infamous (& Sucker Punch) fanboy so I'll defend the game to the death.

I had nothing to play on my PS4 and I am way into games as a whole, so that's the reason. I'm not being fair though, inFamous is a decent game. I just think the type of game that it is, which is a superhero game, it pales in comparison to the others. You don't feel powerful in that game. You are extremely slow in that game. There is almost nothing interesting to do in that game. The world feels empty in that game. Yeah, it looks nice, but that's not the priority for me. It's funny you talk about generic, because a lot about inFamous feels generic. The powers are just iterations of each other that don't do that much different. The karma system is poor and way too binary.

I just never really enjoyed the games. I think I would have enjoyed them a lot more if they were the only superhero game around. Then it would've felt unique. As it stands, it does nothing I haven't seen before and the things it does are just done worse (except for graphical fidelity).

#22 Edited by xyzygy (10029 posts) -

Infamous games generally have a pretty bad open world, and apparently it's short. My vote would go to Watch Dogs. Have you played AC4?

#23 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Watch_Dogs is a great game, looks great on PS4 and plays great,Just try it. It ain't that bad.

But i'm also a guy that played the shit out of Midtown Madness,just driving around.

Guess what.... Watch_Dogs has a cockpit view :

#24 Posted by Sargus (731 posts) -

I like Infamous a little better, but it's MUCH shorter. You might be able to get its Platinum trophy (which means beating the game twice) quicker than you can beat Watch Dogs once. If you want something to really sink time into, Watch Dogs is great, and it's probably best on PS4.

#25 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Well, of the two I've only only played Infamous, and that's been good fun. Personally, I'd go with Battlefield 4 - at least if competitive online multiplayer is something you're into. Conquest 64 maps are borderline open world sized, and you wouldn't believe the crazy shennanigans you can get into. There's hundreds of hours of meat in its multiplayer, thousands even.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

Watchdogs is a better "open-world game" in the traditional sense, in that it's an open-world game. Infamous is more of a 3rd person action shooter hybrid with one very large, open environment.

#27 Posted by Tehvenom (14 posts) -

@joshth said:

Thanks duders!

I'd really go with Watch dogs to begin with because it caters more than Infamous. What's unique with watch dogs is the many options you have in order to achieve your objections.

Second Son sounds like it looks great but it rather short whereas Watch Dogs sounds more like an open world, GTA esque, kind of game.

So I guess whichever you're more into would work best for you.

Second Son is a beautiful game and has a wonderful technical beauty to it but for me it seems like past gen dullness that the city is not that organic. Watch Dogs has this city that is living with it's npc and how they react to the world is fucking amazing. last night I was just walking for hours hacking into people's conversation and love how diverse it is!