#1 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -
#2 Edited by ThunderSlash (1511 posts) -

Wow, it'd be better to just import one.

#3 Edited by jiggajoe14 (629 posts) -

holy fuck at those tax rates

#4 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

That's drug money, right there.

#5 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Isn't stuff like this normally "overpriced" there?
I seem to recall them being "outraged" every time something console/gaming related gets priced and yet they seem surprised every damn time while everyone else just goes "Oh, this nonsense again"

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

@zeforgotten: ya I recall hearing that as well. Wasn't the ps2 insanely overpriced even when the ps3 was already out there?

#7 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

It must be encrusted in gold. I would consider it.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@sackmanjones: It was some nonsense like that yeah.
Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

#9 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

#10 Edited by spraynardtatum (2523 posts) -

not worth it

#11 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

Aiming never meant "We're elite snipers and hit the target we aim for all the time"
Just like how "maybe" still doesn't mean "Yes", it still means "50/50 chance it may or may not happen"

If they come back later and then change the price, THEN people can act surprised all they want.
This is just business as usual, not Sonys fault (unless they control the taxes in Brazil for some reason)

#12 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

Aiming never meant "We're elite snipers and hit the target we aim for all the time"

Just like how "maybe" still doesn't mean "Yes", it still means "50/50 chance it may or may not happen"

If they come back later and then change the price, THEN people can act surprised all they want.

This is just business as usual, not Sonys fault (unless they control the taxes in Brazil for some reason)

Then how do you explain the Xbox One price?

#13 Edited by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

wonder how much import/tax rates are from US to brazil.

one could potentially make solid money from buying US ps4's and selling them a bit lower than 1800.

#14 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

Aiming never meant "We're elite snipers and hit the target we aim for all the time"

Just like how "maybe" still doesn't mean "Yes", it still means "50/50 chance it may or may not happen"

If they come back later and then change the price, THEN people can act surprised all they want.

This is just business as usual, not Sonys fault (unless they control the taxes in Brazil for some reason)

Then how do you explain the Xbox One price?

The other overpriced console that still costs a lot because of taxes that Microsoft aren't in control of either?
I don't know, I'm not searching for drama where there is none.

How much power do you actually believe that Sony and Microsoft has?
Like, do they control taxes everywhere? could they have world leaders killed if they wanted to?

#15 Edited by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

@zeforgotten: Little known fact that the stare of Jack Tretton can turn you to stone.

#16 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

Aiming never meant "We're elite snipers and hit the target we aim for all the time"

Just like how "maybe" still doesn't mean "Yes", it still means "50/50 chance it may or may not happen"

If they come back later and then change the price, THEN people can act surprised all they want.

This is just business as usual, not Sonys fault (unless they control the taxes in Brazil for some reason)

Then how do you explain the Xbox One price?

The other overpriced console that still costs a lot because of taxes that Microsoft aren't in control of either?

I don't know, I'm not searching for drama where there is none.

How much power do you actually believe that Sony and Microsoft has?

Like, do they control taxes everywhere? could they have world leaders killed if they wanted to?

I think you are going out of your way to make drama or you are just plain stupid, obviously the Xbox price is the closest to the right amount, after taxes and all, the PS4 on the other hand is completely unrealistic.

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@demoskinos: I also heard he was over 4000 years old.

#18 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

@zeforgotten: Little known fact that the stare of Jack Tretton can turn you to stone.

@demoskinos: I also heard he was over 4000 years old.

What you two assholes don't understand is that the PS4 is more than twice as expensive as it was suppose to be (after taxes and all the fees) and that Tretton's quote although never realistic was an indication that they would at least try to have a reasonable price at launch, so it is normal to be surprised when a 20% cheaper console ends up twice the price of the competition.

#20 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I remember when Brazilians would come into Best buy and buy PS2s and laptops by the cart full. Those were good times.

#21 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

I got so pissed off at these news that I looped back around to normal.

Brazilian taxes suck and people will eat it up because it is a sign of status to be able to spend that much on a videogame console.

To those brazilians who have international credit cards, there's always amazon. It costs at around US$ 800 to import it here, which, while still overpriced is way cheaper than the ridiculous local price.

#22 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@demoskinos said:

@zeforgotten: Little known fact that the stare of Jack Tretton can turn you to stone.

@zeforgotten said:

@demoskinos: I also heard he was over 4000 years old.

What you two assholes don't understand is that the PS4 is more than twice as expensive as it was suppose to be (after taxes and all the fees) and that Tretton's quote although never realistic was an indication that they would at least try to have a reasonable price at launch, so it is normal to be surprised when a 20% cheaper console ends up twice the price of the competition.

But I guess personal attacks is the only thing you people can come up with when you have no actual argument for anything.

Now i get it.

#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

@demoskinos said:

@zeforgotten: Little known fact that the stare of Jack Tretton can turn you to stone.

@zeforgotten said:

@demoskinos: I also heard he was over 4000 years old.

What you two assholes don't understand is that the PS4 is more than twice as expensive as it was suppose to be (after taxes and all the fees) and that Tretton's quote although never realistic was an indication that they would at least try to have a reasonable price at launch, so it is normal to be surprised when a 20% cheaper console ends up twice the price of the competition.

But I guess personal attacks is the only thing you people can come up with when you have no actual argument for anything.

Now i get it.

Get what? Prove me wrong but you just seem to get angry at me and then you started calling me stupid and an asshole just because I'm not surprised by something that you seem to be very very upset about for some reason. All this because I didn't forget how Sonys console always seems to have been more expensive in Brazil.
I never said it didn't suck, the prices are crazy I just said I wasn't as surprised as you and you insult me for it. So yeah, you're one of those people who are just addicted to anger

#24 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

Isn't Brazil super corrupt and easily bought or did Max Payne get it wrong?

#25 Posted by senrat (308 posts) -

Holy shit. It seems a lot of gaming related stuff more expensive outside of the US, its just a matter of how much more expensive.

#26 Edited by Pedrofrazillio (28 posts) -

With U$1.800 dollars, a Brazilian person can take a flight to miami, buy a PS4 and flight back, and it would STILL spend less money than buying directly in Brazil. This is how ridiculous the price is.

I am about to graduate college in U.S (going back to brazil in december) and OF COURSE i will bring one extra PS4 with me and sell it there for a cheaper price, but i will still make a good profit on it.

#27 Posted by TechHits (1365 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

@zeforgotten said:

@sackmanjones:

It was some nonsense like that yeah.

Yet here we are again, apparantly supposed to act surprised at this new found information that happens every damn time.

Like big games companies or console makers just release some alzheimer's virus or do the whole Men In Black flash thingy every time they release a new console just so they will forget how it was exactly the same as the last time they launched something in Brazil :P

except this time the CEO of Sony said in an interview that they were aiming to release the console in Brazil at the same price as the US and right now, you can preorder a Xbox One for half the price of the PS4.

Aiming never meant "We're elite snipers and hit the target we aim for all the time"

Just like how "maybe" still doesn't mean "Yes", it still means "50/50 chance it may or may not happen"

If they come back later and then change the price, THEN people can act surprised all they want.

This is just business as usual, not Sonys fault (unless they control the taxes in Brazil for some reason)

Then how do you explain the Xbox One price?

The other overpriced console that still costs a lot because of taxes that Microsoft aren't in control of either?

I don't know, I'm not searching for drama where there is none.

How much power do you actually believe that Sony and Microsoft has?

Like, do they control taxes everywhere? could they have world leaders killed if they wanted to?

what in the world are you talking about?

#28 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@techhits:

Not you too -.- good grief.

It's already been explained, but here goes: I am not surprised that a Sony console costs more in Brazil because even the 360 and PS3 that are now priced almost evenly in other places are still priced different in Brazil. Or are you reffering to the tax part that Sony and Microsoft have no control over as well because that one should be obvious, but feel free to insult me as well for not agreeing with you on something.

Here's the TL:DR version of it for those who need that instead:
I'm not as surprised by this common thing as you guys seem to be for no apparant reason.
But I was also one of the people who read the same news when the only difference was the name of the consoles being sold.

#29 Posted by TechHits (1365 posts) -

@techhits:

Not you too -.- good grief.

It's already been explained, but here goes: I am not surprised that a Sony console costs more in Brazil because even the 360 and PS3 that are now priced almost evenly in other places are still priced different in Brazil. Or are you reffering to the tax part that Sony and Microsoft have no control over as well because that one should be obvious, but feel free to insult me as well for not agreeing with you on something.

that's all fine and good, but no one was asking you that. The guy before me just asked why the xboxone was half the price of the ps4, and you went off about sony and microsoft killing world leaders.

#30 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@techhits said:

@zeforgotten said:

@techhits:

Not you too -.- good grief.

It's already been explained, but here goes: I am not surprised that a Sony console costs more in Brazil because even the 360 and PS3 that are now priced almost evenly in other places are still priced different in Brazil. Or are you reffering to the tax part that Sony and Microsoft have no control over as well because that one should be obvious, but feel free to insult me as well for not agreeing with you on something.

that's all fine and good, but no one was asking you that. The guy before me just asked why the xboxone was half the price of the ps4, and you went off about sony and microsoft killing world leaders.

That last part was a 3rd question in relation to the tax issues. Thinking that Sony and Microsoft has any say in how their stuff is taxed is beyond silly.
This has been going on forever, but the taxes have already been different, I had a friend explain it on here once (who actually lives there) but I can't seem to find the post now but it basically explained how Sonys stuff was just taxed different than Microsofts, really as simple as that. So nothing Sony really can do about that because they don't have that power.

#31 Posted by TechHits (1365 posts) -

With U$1.800 dollars, a Brazilian person can take a flight to miami, buy a PS4 and flight back, and it would STILL spend less money than buying directly in Brazil. This is how ridiculous the price is.

I am about to graduate college in U.S (going back to brazil in december) and OF COURSE i will bring one extra PS4 with me and sell it there for a cheaper price, but i will still make a good profit on it.

When you cross the border you'll have to pay duty on it. Basically that's the tax you would have had to pay in Brazil.

Unless it's totally different if you have a school visa I donno.

#33 Posted by GaspoweR (2741 posts) -

That is just fucking nuts man....might as well build your own rig with that kind of money.

#34 Edited by Pedrofrazillio (28 posts) -

@techhits said:

@pedrofrazillio said:

With U$1.800 dollars, a Brazilian person can take a flight to miami, buy a PS4 and flight back, and it would STILL spend less money than buying directly in Brazil. This is how ridiculous the price is.

I am about to graduate college in U.S (going back to brazil in december) and OF COURSE i will bring one extra PS4 with me and sell it there for a cheaper price, but i will still make a good profit on it.

When you cross the border you'll have to pay duty on it. Basically that's the tax you would have had to pay in Brazil.

Unless it's totally different if you have a school visa I donno.

Brazilians citizens have a $500 limit of bringing on eletronics from U.S without need to pay taxes, etc.. since the PS4 will cost U$420 total, i will be good to go. Its the law. I crossed the border more than 7 times in the last 3 years, so i guess i know what the rules are.. lol

#35 Posted by erhard (379 posts) -

I wonder what sort of economists are running Brazil.

#36 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

Wow, the Brazilian government really doesn't want their citizens playing videogames do they?

#37 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

Here is a living room Gaming PC you can build in Brazil for less than 4k brl.

PSU: Corsair 750W Builder Series CX750M 80 Plus Bronze

Case: Cooler Master Mini-ITX Elite 130 Advanced USB 3.0 Black

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi, LGA1155 PCIe 3.0 Mini ITX

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache LGA 1155

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2X4GB) CL9 1600MHZ

VGA: EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2GB SC ACX, 256 bit, GDDR5

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III

Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i

#38 Edited by buemba (89 posts) -

I can buy a Xbox One and a Geforce GTX 770 in any store in Brazil for less than what a PS4 would cost me.

Taxes here are utterly ridiculous, but they aren't high enough to justify this price.

#39 Edited by supertuna (79 posts) -

Well, looks like I'll finally own an Xbox. That or I'll just upgrade my PC.

Shame on you, Sony Brasil.

#40 Edited by Opus (148 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: Microsoft is manufacturing Xbones in Brazil, so they can avoid the crazy import taxes, but Brazilians still have to pay the slightly less insane luxury tax. So it's still more expensive than in other countries, but far below PS4 levels.

#41 Posted by crazymuppet (2 posts) -

@opus said:

@jayjonesjunior: Microsoft is manufacturing Xbones in Brazil, so they can avoid the crazy import taxes, but Brazilians still have to pay the slightly less insane luxury tax. So it's still more expensive than in other countries, but far below PS4 levels.

The Xbox One isn't being manufactured in Brazil. There's no info on that anywhere. Only the 360 is manufactured in Brazil.

The PS4 is really overpriced. You can add all taxes and fees you want, even a 100% profit margin for the heck of it, and I guarantee that you won't get close to $1800 USD.

The Xbox One is also an imported product and Microsoft was able to sell it for $980 USD (R$ 2100 Reais), under the same taxes and fees.

Tell me that this isn't Sony bullshitting their costumers.

#42 Edited by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

That is just insane!

#43 Edited by Franstone (1083 posts) -

That's because the bastards at Sony typically overcharge for their not so superior products.
The only reason Sony is making sure their console has the cheaper price (in the larger territories) is because they screwed up so much with the PS3.
Now everyone is drinking the kool-aid!
: )

#44 Posted by glacialhelmnun (52 posts) -
#45 Posted by CByrne (177 posts) -

Yeah, back a couple years ago I had a girl from Brazil in a class and we were talking about the first time she went to a best buy. The rest of her time here was buying stuff from best buy and mailing it back home. She was amazed by how cheap everything was.

#46 Posted by bigjeffrey (4706 posts) -

holy shot

#47 Edited by crazymuppet (2 posts) -

@glacialhelmnun: Well, they can't just add any price they want (Although Sony did just that) and expect people to buy it. We are used to paying more for things, but Sony's pricing is borderline ridiculous.

To explain a little bit more, in Brazil we have 60% import taxes included in this kind of device. So basically the pricing on the PS4 should go like this:

$399 + Taxes (60%) + Profit

Let's say our government doesn't like Sony and decided they should pay 50% more in taxes. Still, to get to the $1800 price tag, you'll need aproximately 90% profit margins.

I really think Sony has some explaining to do.

#48 Posted by mrGREEK360 (55 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: you could always import one, find someone in Canada and toss them an extra 200$ to do it..... Who in their right mind would pay $1800 for a PS4 when for that price you could fly to a country that has it for a decent price and fly back lol..... Just import it, gamers hate people who buy consoles to sell them, but gamers don'trealize that the PS4 isn't a world wide release and they are offering a service for people stuck in a situation of charging 1800$ for a PS4 or not being offered in their region. Go on ebay now and pre order off a good seller for 1/5th the price....