#1 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I am just curious as to what you think the most fun or the best PSX games are out there. I am saying purely games you enjoyed regardless of what type of game they are, and say why you liked it or why it was special. (I wanna get into the PSX catalog but not waste time on bad games.)

#2 Edited by TheHT (11133 posts) -

Definitely check out the Bushido Blade series. Nothing I've played since has quite compared to it. Would absolutely love for another one to come out next-gen.

It's an arena fighter (with weapons) with really tense and deadly combat. Matches can be over in one well placed and well timed attack.

#3 Posted by wolfgang_amadeus (3 posts) -

Team Buddies:

Didn't take itself to seriously and I thought it was quite challenging near the end, multiplayer modes were also great which made the fact that nobody else owned it even more annoying.

Sheep, Dog & Wolf:

Solid strategy game with quite a few ideas which had never been seen before mixed in with some looney tunes styling.

#4 Edited by MEATBALL (3192 posts) -

The following spring to mind...

Vagrant Story - A very cool dungeon-crawling JRPG with a blend of realtime and turn-based combat. Visually it still holds up extremely well

Crash 2 & 3 - Really fun platformers.

FFVII, VIII & IX (if I had to choose one it would probably be IX) - fun combat, interesting worlds and likeable characters, stories can be a bit hit and miss.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Still probably the best Metroidvania Castlevania?

Tomba 1 & 2 - A really charming, fun platformer

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Probably my favourite Ridge Racer to date with a goofy campaign mode where you have a team manager.

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Hidden Gem: Digimon World 2.

Favourite game: The Legend of Dragoon.

#6 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Bushido Blade 2

Bushido Blade 2

Bushido Blade 2

Tomba 1.

#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#8 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Still my favorite Castlevania game of all time. The big metroid like world, the great sound track, and the weirdly localized intro is fantastic.

Metal Gear Solid - A bit melodramatic with the cut scenes but at the time that was amazing that a game was attempting so much story with cut scenes and dialogue. Plus the game was fun despite it's awkward controls for shooting things. Also it's 4th wall breaking can not be overstated.

Alundra - It's a top down platformer kind of like a classic Zelda game that also has levels in people's dreams. You know, to stop a demonic threat.

Resident Evil 2 - Why the sequel instead of the first one? Well I played the 2nd one the most. It had the unique feature of a play through of one character affecting the simultaneous play through of the second character. Be advised the controls are called tank like for a reason.

Dino Crisis 2 - A fun score based action romp that has some elements of time travel in it. The first game was more methodical and similar to a Resident Evil game but with Dinosaurs!

Breath of Fire IV - It's a kind of typical JRPG with dragons in a eastern setting. But I liked it quite a bit compared to every other Breath of Fire game.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (6681 posts) -

Castlevania SOTN

#10 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

All the great old JRPGs. Wild Arms, Xenogears, Grandia, Suikoden II, Breath of Fire III, Lunar SSSC, Brave Fencer Musashi

#11 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Vagrant Story and Symphony of the Night are the best two; Front Mission 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vandal Hearts 2 are all really solid as well. Xenogears is almost unplayable in a modern context, though mildly interesting for the first 20 hours or so (before diving off a cliff and sucking for the next 60). Grandia is a really fun game with decent characters and some of the best/cheesiest early voice acting.

Team Buddies is damn good if you can find it, one of the rarest games in existence even at launch. The Syphon Filter games were all pretty decent, no clue how well they hold up in retrospect (though I imagine the 2nd one is still rather good).

#12 Edited by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Dino Crisis.

All.

Day.

Long.

#13 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3, Spyro 2, Gran Turismo 2, and Mega Man Legends.

#14 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Destruction Derby

Wipeout XL

R4

gottagofast

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4677 posts) -

I always like Einhander.

#16 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Suikoden I & II.Great Jrpgs from Konami.

#17 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

Chrono Cross. Game has some crazy good music.

#18 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

PSX lol...

#19 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2361 posts) -

The Spyro games, Crash games, Final Fantasy 7 and 9, Tomba 1 &2, Bloody Roar 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Gex 3, Omega Boost, etc I could go on all day.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Legend of Dragoon! It's Final Fantasy meets Power Rangers. Need I elaborate?

Get it on PSN.

#21 Edited by ThunderSlash (1682 posts) -
#22 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1381 posts) -

Legend of the Dragoon:

The combat system great, the addition combo system is where its at. Sure you can turn into dragon forms but that addition system is where its at. It also has a good story with some memorable characters.

Legend of Legaia:

Another RPG with an inventive combo system where you input fighting game like combos to attack

Chrono Cross

: Tons of characters to find, but they are seem the same due to the magic system. This RPG has great music, a good but weird and confusing story, and a good battle system.

Spyro:

What i consider to be one of the best 3d platformers. The levels are great, collecting gems is "fun". And you play as a purple dragon with attitude.

Crash Bash:

the best collection of "miniature" games on the ps1. grab some friends and play this classic

#23 Posted by joey (983 posts) -

SOTN: Great music, hella fun to play.

Tony Hawk: Great music, hella fun to play.

uh...

#24 Edited by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

Chō Aniki

Make no mistake about it. This is a bad game... but it is the right kind of bad.

Edit: Plus, run these games in an emulator if possible. I mention that because a lot of people on this thread have recommended games like Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon. Those games are absolute dog-shit on a PS1 console. They run at sub-twenty fps most of the time and have graphics so aliased you would swear that everything in the distance was just a multi-coloured blob of pixels. Using an emulator also lessens the burden of load times. I remember trying to play Legend of Dragoon in the past and giving up because I had to deal with near five second load times at the entrance of every battle, a noticeable load right before every character attacks, then another five second load after the fight. Combine that with a RPG that throws way too many random battles at you, and you find yourself spending five minutes to walk from one end of a room to another. Speeding up load times, or enabling frame skipping helps make annoyances like that tolerable.

#25 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Dino Crisis 2, Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Parasite Eve 2, Legend of Dragoon...

#26 Posted by EVO (3891 posts) -

Abe's Odyssey.

@meatball said:

Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3

Why not Crash 1?

#27 Posted by MEATBALL (3192 posts) -

@evo said:

Abe's Odyssey.

@meatball said:

@believer258 said:

Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3

Why not Crash 1?

I just don't think it holds up as well, and Crash 2 & 3 are significantly better. Personally Crash 3 would be my favourite in the series.

#28 Edited by audioBusting (1506 posts) -

I really liked Arc the Lad 2 and 3, SaGa Frontier 2 and Guardian Crusade. I don't even remember how they played and I wasn't even close to the end of any of those games, but I really liked them.

edit: If you're looking to play them, maybe skip Guardian Crusade. I have fond memories of it but I don't think it would hold up well.

#29 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@monetarydread: Chrono Cross looks fine and runs fine on a PS1, people just didn't have a stick up their ass as much back then. Legend of Dragoon hasn't aged great but I bet you could still play it.

#30 Edited by posh (474 posts) -

Heart of Darkness still holds up pretty well since it has a nice art style and a great atmosphere, I remember it really creeping me out when I was younger and playing it last month was still pretty enjoyable. and that gameplay can feel clunky but as with resident evil I feel like that's intentional. also it's worth mentioning that Parappa the Rapper is my favourite game of all time, mostly for the art, characters, "story", humour and music. I've always thought that universe would be great to bring back in an RPG format. not gonna happen though, I still keep up with masaya matsuura, rodney greenblat and dred foxx, matsuura says steam interests him, greenblat still works independently and was bummed with how major minor turned out (last nanaon-sha game) and dred foxx is the parappa voice artist and spends his time campaigning for a new parappa game. I might write up a big parappa thing one day

honourable mentions go to worms, incredible crisis and tekken. tekken does not hold up very well.

#31 Edited by BionicRadd (617 posts) -
#32 Edited by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Thanks for answering everyone! I have not heard of a lot of these games, I really am a PS1 noob I guess. I got SOTN and I am really loving it, the sprite work is awesome beyond belief.

#33 Posted by GunstarRed (5116 posts) -

Parappa the Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Vib Ribbon.

And Strider 2 is rather awesome.

#34 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@meatball said:

@evo said:

Abe's Odyssey.

@meatball said:

@believer258 said:

Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3

Why not Crash 1?

I just don't think it holds up as well, and Crash 2 & 3 are significantly better. Personally Crash 3 would be my favourite in the series.

Crash 3 is the shit and holds up perfectly. Crash one is fine as long as you put your nostalgia glasses on.

#35 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

@darthorange: What if I have never played it? What is so bad about it in the first place? Controls or camera or what? Sorry for my ignorance.