The PlayStation colour?

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone know of any reference to the official colour of the original PlayStation? From colour picking a few different images on the Internet it seems it could be anywhere from #AAAAAA to #CECECE, but they all vary so greatly. From memory I remember it being somewhere in-between, but I don't have my old PSX to check, and even if I did I remember it being quite yellowed.

I'm curious about ordering a very particular shade of paint (but maybe not curious enough to buy a pantone book and a mint condition PSX to figure it out myself) and I don't really want to put the money in if it's going to be a guess.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wager your safest bet would be to find out what color they made those limited edition Anniversary PS4s in and use that as a good medium between them.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's grey. I don't know what those hashtags are, but I assume they're paint codes for shades of grey. I don't know how to find those out, good luck with your thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you have an Android phone/tablet and the original console there is an app called 'Color grab' that could help. I see you don't have the original but a clear picture could do the trick too.

No Caption Provided

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw: I haven't been able to find anything but pictures of them either, it seems very close, but even in pictures the shades vary in the one photo just because of lighting. They're even harder to get a hold of in person than a mint condition PSX now, last I checked they were going for about $3000 on eBay.

@mortuss_zero:Yes, it's grey. Thanks. They're hexadecimal-triplets for 8-bit RGB, there are two digits for the intensity of each of Red, Green and Blue.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MVHVTMV

@mortuss_zero: I don't have an Android, but thanks anyway. My issue with photographs is that they aren't usually true to life. It's especially difficult considering the PSX seems to be some kind of pure-grey, so the luma is basically the most important part. It's pretty difficult to tell how legit how someone else's pictures for example, the image I was initially using is much less red, and significantly lighter than that one.

No Caption Provided

I'll have to ask around and see if any of my friends have a PSX that's still in decent condition for me to photograph myself, I just thought I'd ask first to see if anyone knew. Thanks guys.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ohnooh: Here's the best of my PS1s and a PSOne in natural light.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I looked around and I cannot find any HEX color chart for the original PlayStation. All I know is officially PlayStation Grey is 'grey with purple tint'.