Is PS VITA one of the worst systems exclusive-wise?

• 64 results
Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm talking about in recent memory, I couldn't fit the whole thing in the title but anyways...

So I was watching the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate quick look and started thinking about how huge that series was on PSP...then that brought me to the VITA. The VITA is a great place to play indie and crossplay titles but to my knowledge it has almost no great or even really good true exclusives. What is there? Danganronpa? Gravity Rush? I don't think you can count P4 Golden cuz it's really just Persona 4 but if you want to I'll give you that.

I understand why you'd want a VITA (to play some great indie/crossplay) games on the go but I can't think of too many recent systems that's had a few must-play "can't get it anywhere else" games than the VITA...it just seems so odd that its so undersupported with any type of interesting orignal software.

Also, I'm only talking about North American games because I don't know what comes out in other territories. Maybe Japan gets sick exclusive VITA games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Danganronpa and Gravity Rush are awesome and there's a bunch of games that aren't exclusive but are best on Vita like Persona 4, Muramasa, Disgaea 4 and Virtue's Last Reward due to looking better, having additional content and being portable.

Also Puyo Puyo Tetris is a video game you can play on the Vita.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I would say the PS4.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the Vita is the only console that has a game that makes you jerk it off.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: Wasn't that 75% of the Wii library?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Corevi
@bocam said:

I think the Vita is the only console that has a game that makes you jerk it off.

You haven't played No More Heroes then.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Heeeeeeeeell no. I think the VITA has a pretty fucking good lineup of exclusives, though it's mostly extremely niche titles from Japan so I think it's more of a system for a specific group of people rather than something like the DS obviously which has a ton of shit for everyone.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longmasterwolf: The Vita has been out for twice as long as the PS4 has. If another year and a half goes by and the PS4 still has nothing, then maybe.

Honestly, system exclusivity is becoming less and less of a thing these days. With consoles becoming more and more like PCs, the ease of distribution to multiple platforms, and developers wanting to reach the most people possible, we'll probably be seeing less exclusives as we go forward. As for the Vita, it's hard to tell what Sony plans for it or if they just plan to quietly just let it be what it is and no longer focus on handhelds.

I for one love the Vita. I bought it to play P4G and as a replacement for my PSP when my X button broke. I've gotten a ton of use out of it and despite the lack of exclusive games, what's there is fantastic. I prefer playing a lot of smaller indie titles on handhelds anyway so when things like Bastion, Broken Age, and Shovel Knight (yes I already have it on 3DS and will totally buy and play it again) come out for it, I will totally play them there.

If you look at the Vita from the perspective of getting exclusive games, you're going to be disappointed. If you take it for what it is and probably what it will always be, it's a pretty great little thing.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

PSP is probably worse but yes. There's few systems with less games worth playing on it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Is it one of the worst, in recent memory? With recent memory including, what, the Wii U, PS4, XB1, Vita and 3DS? So comparing an aging niche handheld to an ultra popular handheld and then to three new consoles? Or are you also including PS3, 360 and Wii?

I have only questions. No answers.

Seems the "right" answer would have to be PS4 and XB1. They are new, and have very few exclusives at all, much less very awesome ones. You could lump the Wii U in there, depending on how you feel about Nintendo.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah for the sad people only into 100% exclusive only-that-platform titles it's a pretty bad system.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the Vita and the PSP have pretty good exclusives. They just don't have sales to begin with. The Phillips CD-I, now that's a piece of shit.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the Vita and the PSP have pretty good exclusives. They just don't have sales to begin with. The Phillips CD-I, now that's a piece of shit.

I don't see how you could say that after experiencing the majesty that is Inca.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The exclusives are certainly sparse, but I can't abide calling it "one of the worst" while P4G exists.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Makayu

FROBISHER SAYS! Came out as an exclusive for the vita, and while it's no blockbuster I think it's a pretty cool game. Plus it's free.

Also doki doki universe came out for vita. I know that it's on ps3 and ps4 but considering it's style and presentation it feels more tailored to the vita than anything else, especially with all the touch screen controls.

Personally I enjoy the vita as a cross buy machine for indie titles and I think it works very well as that. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see more development for it, because I most certainly would. I didn't buy it for the exclusives though so it's not all that disappointing to me.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, if it weren't for Persona 4: Golden, I probably would've regretted my decision to buy a Vita a few months after launch.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RiotControl

To be honest, the games designed from the ground up to be Vita games are pretty awesome experiences. The ports... are still fantastic games, but I just don't want to play them on a handheld.

A lot of them are side-scrollers and I can't stand playing side-scrollers on the Vita. The screen is just too small. Moving a character the size of a flea just frustrated the hell out of me. I was SO excited when I first got the Vita for a vacation. I was going to continue my game (Guacamelee) from my PS3 onto the plane ride with the Vita. I got so frustrated not being able to look at the great art design and tiny enemies and their attacks that I just moved on to Uncharted, which I really liked, surprisingly. I think shooters actually do work really well. It's a shame there will never be another one unless Sony works out a deal with mobile devs to port their shooters to Vita. (Because they aren't going to waste manpower doing it)

Back to exclusives: I really don't know what to say. The Vita just isn't going to get many more. Third-parties aren't developing them without support from Sony and Sony has pulled their own studios out. In order for the Vita to secure more exclusives, Sony definitely needs to get into contact with mobile and 3DS developers. Sony needs to work out an easy deal for them to port their games, always keeping their eye open for a potential game-changer to spend big money on for exclusivity. Problem is, the more successful companies and the extremely small studios won't spare the developers. Sony would probably have to do the port on their own, which... Eh, I don't know anymore. I just don't see it ever being fixed.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The vita has Spelunky, Ollie Ollie, Rouge Legacy & Lumines.

Those games are great on the Vita and really that's what matters to me. Sure it doesn't have the exclusive games the 3DS has, but I'm very happy with my Vita.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah the exclusives are pretty bad, but hear me out here: Freedom Wars is the hottest shit and way better than Destiny. Advantage: Vita.

Oh, and to echo what other people said, having a Luftrausers/Spelunky/Hotline Miami machine that lives in my bag is pretty nice.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 Golden.

That's all you need.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's got Persona 4 Golden. Despite beating the original Persona 4 like three times on top of seeing the Endurance Run far too many times, I bought a Vita entirely because of P4G and then proceeded to beat it a few times as well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well it depends on what you like. The Vita seems t be quirky offbeat low budget Japanese game machine. In some ways it seems to have the mots unique exclusives, they just aren't the big budget popular AAA fare.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the PS4.

As a PS4 and Vita owner, I came into this thread just to make sure someone said this. Thank you.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually its the xbox one. Worst exclusives ever.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Oh, you're talking the quality of the actual exclusives? I think they're fine, but I would say I agree with the statement that the Vita is the worst system out when it comes to quantity of exclusives, because there haven't been a single exclusive game released for it in like 2 years, and most of the games that were originally exclusive to the Vita have since been ported to other systems.

At this point, the Vita is just a great way to play PSP and PS1 games and ports of PC indie titles, but there are no exclusives.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Much like the PSP, the Vita is the go to console for visual novels. There are loads of them cattering to different niche markets. Since those are mostly for Japanese public it gives the impression of lack of titles for the console.

That said visual novels are a bit different compared to a "regular" game and a find the Vita lacking a lot in this respect. It's a shame, the hardware is fantastic compared to the 3DS but sometimes it feels as if Sony has been gradually giving up on it. Doesn't help the fact that the 3DS is a huge success and in my eyes one of the best Nintendo systems ever despite the disappointing 3D and lack of a proper account system.

It does have its fair share of exclusives though. Too many ports though. I like ports but it needs more than that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One and PS4 haven't been doing so hot on the exclusive front the past 12 months or so, but at least the potential is there.

The developer interest is pretty definitively NOT there for the Vita anymore, so I sure hope you like playing games similar to Monster Hunter if you're looking for exclusives. But yeah, Frobisher Says and Persona 4 Golden are alright. A lot of their exclusive didn't pan out very well, between Escape Plan not being as impressive as people had hoped and Tearaway being pretty but bland to play, like everything Media Molecule makes. And then all of the bad console half-ports like Uncharted and Call of Duty being unremarkable.

It hasn't been great for the Vita.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: Yo dude Im looking into either buying a Vita or a 3ds , so how are the jrpgs on each csystem? Or metroidvania games? Does the nintendo e shop sell ds games (as in the nintendo ds castlevanias)? Does the eshop accept paypal as a form of paymen? I mean Im leaning towards the vita ,well because it has a crunchyroll app and salt and sanctuary will come out on it and other indie games that my lap cant run properly (heck even games I used to play in it no longer work :/ ) but the 3 ds has some castlevania gamess and some jrpgs right? So i dunno for which one to go for and some insight might be useful.

To op sorry to minihighjack your thread :P

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a whole bunch of Japanese games out for the Vita, some of which are out over here, some not.

Apart from that, P4G sounds incredible, I already like P4 and if I had a Vita that would be great to play.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess I'm just one of those few crazy people who doesn't care about exclusives. For me the fact the Vita is a handheld gives it all the exclusivity it needs. Of course there are some franchises/concepts that personally interest me regardless of platform, but that's not the same as counting games simply because they are exclusive.

That said, I only just got a Vita but about half of the games I'm interested in are exclusive: Unit 13 (which is on flash sale atm btw), CoD, Resistance, Killzone, Katamari, Super Monkey Ball... I also ordered Soul Sacrifice which just so happens to be exclusive. Monster Monpiece is also in the flash sale (and is an exclusive), wondering if I want that game or not.

@theblue: Yo dude Im looking into either buying a Vita or a 3ds , so how are the jrpgs on each csystem? Or metroidvania games? Does the nintendo e shop sell ds games (as in the nintendo ds castlevanias)? Does the eshop accept paypal as a form of paymen? I mean Im leaning towards the vita ,well because it has a crunchyroll app and salt and sanctuary will come out on it and other indie games that my lap cant run properly (heck even games I used to play in it no longer work :/ ) but the 3 ds has some castlevania gamess and some jrpgs right? So i dunno for which one to go for and some insight might be useful.

To op sorry to minihighjack your thread :P

Eshop doesn't sell DS games. Not sure if paypal is accepted. 3DS has only one Castlevania game, Mirror of Fate, but it can play the DS Castlevanias through backwards compatibility. I would recommend a Vita even though I had only had mine for a week. Vita sports a much better screen resolution, symmetrical controls, is more ergonomic than 3DS, and can charge using USB without having to buy an extra cable. If you do get a Vita however, get a 1000 model because the slim model has a screen is incredibly bad. But if you get a 3DS, I personally don't recommend the XL model since it's heavy, uncomfortable, and ugly.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBlue

@aetheldod: Both systems kind of have a slew of different jrpgs. It really depends on what you're looking to play. The vita has Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, Ys: Memories of Celceta among some others. The 3DS has stuff like Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Bravely Default (most likely Bravely Second as well in the future), Persona Q, and various Pokemon games, all of which I recommend. On paper, the 3DS probably has more and better jrpgs if that's strictly what you're looking for, though those are all somewhat different games. The 3DS doesn't have any DS games on it for download, they seem to be saving that stuff for Wii U. As far as paypal goes I believe you can use it to buy eshop gift cards? The shop itself does not accept paypal I believe.

I can't speak 100% about Castlevania games on the 3DS. There was a 3DS game fairly recently but I think the reviews were mixed. I'm pretty sure the first few Castlevania games are on the eshop for download, though. If you like Castlevania I would recommend Shovel Knight if you haven't played it on your PC. It's on 3DS but will come to Vita as well.

I don't know, it comes down to what you like to play. The 3DS has a lot of games you can really only play on the 3DS, but the Vita has access to a number of PSP and PSone classics as well. Like, you could play every Final Fantasy up through 10-2 if that floats your boat. Being able to play a ton of fantastic indie titles is a great perk too.

I'm not sure if this helped you at all, but definitely research what you want to play on either system before you buy if you can only get one. They're both great systems, it's just a matter of your preference in games.

EDIT- To comment on the post above: I also recommend the 1000 version of the Vita. The OLED screen looks way sharper than whatever they put in the slim model, though I don't know how easy it is to find the original models anymore. A good point though, if graphics are your thing, the Vita is obviously superior by virtue of being a more powerful system, but the 3DS does fine with what it tries to do. I don't agree about the XL, however. I got an XL after having the original 3DS for a bit and never looked back. I look at the original now and wonder how I ever played anything on that tiny screen. The XL looks fine and it's only uncomfortable if you hold it like a weirdo. The size might be an issue if you take it with you a lot, but other than that, the XL is just better overall.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I actually really like my vita. Shame that it gets overlooked but considering the niche Japanese games I'm into the Vita is an amazing system.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really like my vita. Shame that it gets overlooked but considering the niche Japanese games I'm into the Vita is an amazing system.

Should I get Monster Monpiece? It is on flash sale for $9.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how people on this forum would tell me that random encounters are mostly a thing of the past, yet lately everywhere I go I hear people constantly talk about games with random encounters. Final Fantasy. Persona. Criminal Girls Invite Only. Bravely it-can-be-disabled Default. People are even picking up old "gems" like Lost Odyssey. It is hardly "a thing of the past" like some people make it out to be. Not to mention FFX/X-2 HD remasters are coming to PS4. A mistake made over 10 years ago in 2001 gets to be repeated again and again throughout all time. It's like those Anita Sarkeesian videos are saying about old sexist games like Double Dragon, but replace sexism with an even bigger issue. We have to stop this. Tell your friends not to buy random encounter games! The sooner they do this the sooner they will go away.

To repeat what I said to someone about Lost Odyssey. "Too bad someone would take a dump on such a beautiful story by adding random encounters to it."

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita? You mean my Persona 4 Golden machine?

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBlue

@egg: If you feel that strongly about random encounters, maybe make a new thread. That's pretty off-topic from OP's question.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ch3burashka

The term "exclusive" means less and less with each passing year. I don't really care how many exclusives it has - I'm still getting 2 Vita games per month free.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Freedom Wars is dope as fuck.
  • That Sword art online game is pretty nuts.
  • Conception 2 (which came out of 3DS but its not as good and kinda fucked IIRC) has you fight monsters with your high school harem's children.
  • Soul Sacrifice was alright.
  • Gravity was dope
  • Persona 4 Golden is with buying the system for, and also buying a VITA TV so you can play it on a bigger screen.
  • A Ys game came out on it and was fun
  • Muramasa Rebirth is fucking amazing and is one of my favorite games of all time
  • Wipeout/Littlebigplanet/killzone were totally fine games in the series
  • Final Fantasy remastered is pretty cool
  • Ragnarok Odyssey was more monster hunter
  • Valhalla knights 3 reminds me of Valhalla knights 1 and i liked that game because i hate myself
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's last reward is pretty well regarded.

Seems like you don't like crazy japan games so maybe for you its the worst.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Better than the new consoles ~

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@egg: I'd say $9 is about the right price for that game. I paid the full $30 when it launched and honestly I wish I had waited. There are elements to it where you can see potential wanting to poke its head through but the story at least as far as i got was pretty throw away the actual battles can be engaging at times but honestly it comes off as a fairly mediocre experience. I wouldn't say you shouldn't buy it but I'd say keep expectations appropriately tempered if you do.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if you like Monster Hunter style games it is probably one of the best. If you don't then yeah for pure exclusives it is pretty lackluster.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@slag said:

Well it depends on what you like. The Vita seems t be quirky offbeat low budget Japanese game machine. In some ways it seems to have the mots unique exclusives, they just aren't the big budget popular AAA fare.

That's exactly the stuff I wanted when I decided to get a Vita last year and I think it's awesome for what it is as long as you know going in that you are never going to get another Uncharted for it.

I loved Freedom Wars, Dangan Ronpa, and Lumines. So for a low budget, slight insane Japanese game machine the Vita is top of the line.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetheldod

@theblue: @egg: Thanks duders ... yeah Im leaning more towards the Ps Vita , my kind of rpg though is the more turn based ones , so I dont like Y´ss nor the monster hunter alike ones , but with games like Darkest Dungeaon and Salt and Sanctuary coming out on the vita I dont care as much , also I already own some Ps 1 classics so that is a plus :) ..... I didnt know about the screen quality it is a bmmer that the one package I set my eyes upon does include the slim 2000 model :/ did swa some comparative videos and I cant tell much of a difference (granted all those videos are of terrible quality so it is impossible to tell) So would you say that the slim screen is comparable to the PSP one? If so then I wouldnt mind it as much.

One last question is the Vita region locked?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: The 2000 is fine and while it does have a less pretty screen games still look nice and it makes up for it by being smaller and having a longer lasting battery.

The Vita is not region locked, though you need a different memory card for each region if you import digitally.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: Yeah the screen is not that big of a deal, especially if you've never even used the original model. The better battery and probably more comfortable design I'm sure make up for it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Persona 4 golden is all I needed so no

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita has Danganronpa 1 + 2, so I submit: best exclusives (unless you count the PSP games that the West didn't get), not worst. Ys: Memories of Celceta, Tales of Hearts R, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, Demon Gaze, Persona 4 Golden, Freedom Wars, Muramasa Rebirth... there's plenty to consider. Some of those are enhanced remakes, but still. Plenty of great stuff. Don't sleep on Vita exclusives.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nevalis

Going in I knew the Vita wasn't a console for exclusives, but I wanted a portable Dragon's Crown, and Person 4. Once Sony released the vast majority of PSP/PSOne classics to the Vita, it's become my one-stop shop for nostalgia trips, indies, and visual novels. Would I like more games like Gravity Rush, and Tearaway? Sure, but as long as the Vita gets games that are good that I want to play, that's really my only concern.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has terrific exclusives. It's just those exclusives aren't big budget western games. The Project Diva f games, Demon Gaze, Donganronpas, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, P4G, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus/Bon Appetite, the Neptunia Re;Birth games were exclusive until recently. It's just a large amount of Japan and if you don't like Japan then it's the portable indie machine. I would honestly not recommend a Vita to anybody that dislikes weird Japan. It's probably my favorite system since the PS2 because of the large amount of Japan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good system for watching videos on. Not knocking it for that, just a good second use.