#1 Edited by Nictel (2312 posts) -

So I picked up a Vita as a present to myself partly because it was almost for free (€199 3g version with Killzone Mercenary, 8gb memory and mega pack) and partly because I wanted to get one for a while now.

So Persona 4 Golden is a given and I don't really have trouble picking games for it but what I was wondering is if there are perhaps helpful other things like settings or accessories that you find really helpful?

---------------------------EDIT-------------------------

In news of the new slim Vita (WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS COMING). I can still return it but should I? It probably will be more expensive or not?

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

Folders! Put all the preinstalled crap in a folder and never look back.

Set up PS+ on it. The added features aren't enabled automatically from memory.

Set up the PC client, it comes in useful from time to time.

That's the first three things that come to mind.

#3 Posted by UpsideDownAce (52 posts) -

I'd say give Dragon's Crown a try. It looks beautiful on the Vita's screen!

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2047 posts) -

Did you thank yourself properly?

#5 Edited by Nictel (2312 posts) -

I said to myself that I am the most awesome person in the world. I think that counts?

#6 Edited by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

Buy Spelunky, shit is so damn awesome on the Vita.

If you don't have Plus get it, it's pretty fantastic and will keep the games rolling in every month (I have like no space left on my 32gb card, a large portion of it taken up by PS Plus games that I've accumulated over the months), right now it'll get you Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush and New Little King's Story (also Stealth Inc. and Jak & Daxter Trilogy, though you may need to activate them on PS3 before they show up as free on Vita through cross-buy? I'm not totally certain on that, I think I grabbed Stealth Bastard without having grabbed it on PS3).

Can't think of anything specific regarding settings, um, set Automatic Standby to 10 minutes in Power Save settings, there's also a setting there for wifi during Power Save mode, mostly for if you want your system to continue downloads when it goes to sleep. Once you've updated there'll be a setting for controling menus with the vita buttons if that's your thing (personally I actually prefer using the touch screen for that, but it can be handy, I guess).

#7 Edited by Morningstar (2047 posts) -

@nictel said:

@morningstar said:

I said to myself that I am the most awesome person in the world. I think that counts?

Oh for sure. Congratulations btw, may you be blessed with many awesome pieces of software in the time to come.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14306 posts) -

A game that never seems to get mentioned when someone makes this thread is that Assassin's Creed game with the black lady as a lead. I only got it because it came bundled with my white Vita, but it's actually a pretty good game in the series. Sadly it came out at like the exact same time as ACIII, so by the time I was done with AC III I didn't want to play through another one so soon after. I'm sure it must be on the cheap by now.

Outside of that though, I can't really recommend much. I only got that game and Persona 4 Golden for my Vita and have not found anything else worth getting. There's a crap ton of awesome PSX games on the store if you are into that, but I have a personal rule of not spending money on those console digital stores until they can promise me I'm not going to have to throw out my digital library every 4-5 years when the next console comes around.

As for accessories, I got this guy over there ---->. It's a little awkward to use at first, but once you get it flipped around the right way it's fine. Avoid the car adaptor. I bought it for the off chance that I might be in a car some day and need to charge my Vita but the cheapskates couldn't even include a damn cable in the box. It's literally just the adaptor and nothing else.

As mentioned above, get rid of all the junk pre installed stuff. My method of removal was to put them all on one screen and then just move that screen to the very bottom. That way I keep all of my games at the top and the first thing I see when I turn it on.

#9 Posted by ervonymous (1226 posts) -

They don't look like much but the Hori face covers are nice, they also round out the back just a little bit and make the Vita more comfortable to hold.

They added more options to the menu you can access by holding the PS button, toggle Flight Mode there to extend battery life when playing single player.

#10 Posted by csl316 (7345 posts) -

I got mine as a present last week (as I finally paid off my student loans). And it's so awesome.

Although I don't have any setting advice, I should point out that Muramasa is a pretty excellent game.

#11 Edited by Nictel (2312 posts) -

Thanks for the advice. Of course they announce a new model now. :-p

#12 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

@nictel said:

Thanks for the advice. Of course they announce a new model now. :-p

Yeah but that one has only a LCD screen so even if I wanted to have a Vita i would probably still go for the old one. But for me the best thing today was the PSVITATV damn that is something i already wanted since the PSP came out^^

#13 Posted by Seppli (9736 posts) -

Nope. If anything, be glad you still got a glorious OLED Vita.

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

Nah, this doesn't even have an overseas release date, and the soonest it will be is in October in Japan. So, I guess you could return the Vita if you don't mind waiting a few months. It doesn't seem like a massive improvement though.

#15 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

@truthtellah: @seppli: @darji:

Hmm so the screen might be worse? In that case yeah probably good to keep it :-). Also waiting a few months isn't that big of a deal but if the improvements are marginal then I rather put the money towards a PSVITATV.

#16 Posted by probablytuna (3442 posts) -

@nictel: Yeah I don't see how you would need/want to exchange it for the redesigned model. It's not even that big of an improvement. Unless you want an extra hour of battery life and a lighter handheld?

#17 Edited by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

@nictel: Yeah, it remains to be seen, but they changed it from the current OLED to a LCD screen. It could be one of the fancier new ones that are quite nice, but it could also be a step down. We'll see!

By my estimation, though, I'd say these are marginal differences. It's not a DS to DS Lite kind of leap. From what I can tell right now, it's just a slight refinement.

#18 Edited by Nictel (2312 posts) -

@nictel: Yeah I don't see how you would need/want to exchange it for the redesigned model. It's not even that big of an improvement. Unless you want an extra hour of battery life and a lighter handheld?

A lighter handheld? I don't need that.

#19 Edited by Cirdain (2957 posts) -
#20 Posted by endaround (2129 posts) -

It likely is not worth waiting. It will likely end up the same price after you buy the memory card anyway.

#21 Edited by bigjeffrey (4156 posts) -

Nah, that shit is only Japan. Play some Games

#22 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@nictel the new one has an inferior screen, 1 hour more battery life versus. a superior screen. Your call, man.

#23 Edited by SamStrife (1280 posts) -

The new one is not going to have the OLED screen of the original. It will be lighter and thinner but I never thought my Vita was too heavy or difficult to hold (it is, in fact, a really nice device to hold, even for long periods of time).

Personally the screen sacrifice is no where near worth an extra hour of battery. The original Vita's screen is so nice to look at, I'd still rather have that.

#24 Posted by Syndrom (345 posts) -

OLED screen > all.

#25 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@nictel said:

So I picked up a Vita as a present to myself partly because it was almost for free (€199 3g version with Killzone Mercenary, 8gb memory and mega pack) and partly because I wanted to get one for a while now.

So Persona 4 Golden is a given and I don't really have trouble picking games for it but what I was wondering is if there are perhaps helpful other things like settings or accessories that you find really helpful?

In news of the new slim Vita (WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS COMING). I can still return it but should I? It probably will be more expensive or not?

The new Vita is superior to the OG model, unless the 'up to 1 hour' battery life and marginally thinner design is important to you.

@truthtellah said:

@nictel: Yeah, it remains to be seen, but they changed it from the current OLED to a LCD screen. It could be one of the fancier new ones that are quite nice, but it could also be a step down. We'll see!

It will be worse, characteristics of OLED are fantastic viewing angles, extremely strong black levels and screen popping colours. It's obvious why they are cutting it as OLED screens are very expensive, they're basically more energy friendly plasma. (they share numerous similarities with regards to their picture quality and angles)

However, it is likely the new Vita will be a bit better to use in very bright daylight environments as OLED & AMOLED screens typically fair worse vs LCD in that environment (LCD usually shine through glare a bit better), but to be honest I find most devices unusable under the sun anyway, definitely not enjoyable to use them unless it's an e-ink device.

LCD screens tend to have more accurate colours too, but for me black levels are king and for those you can't beat OLED right now, it's not even close between the two. I have recent high-end LCD devices too (retina iPad, new Nexus 7) and they are great but for smaller devices I definitely prefer OLED/AMOLED. (my phone uses a 'Super' AMOLED display)

The Vita I wish I got was the white one, damn it.

#26 Posted by Yodasdarkside (269 posts) -

I have a white Vita and love it, so the only thing that would make me pick up an updated Vita would be if the streaming is better between it and the PS4. I can't imagine it will be, but hey.

#27 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

The OLED model is pretty damn sweet.

I'd say since you got the OLED model for a steal in that bundle you've done good.

If you bought it to play vita games but aren't big on playing on the go, take it back and wait for word on a US release of the Vita TV.

#28 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1355 posts) -

I realize this is a really dumb way to look at it, but the new Vita not having an OLED screen makes me feel better about having not touched my $200 white Vita for a few months. I keep meaning to boot it up to play Lumines, but something else always grabs my attention.

If you don't want to jump straight into P4G's 80+ hour commitment, I think Gravity Rush is a solid first game to play, assuming it's free through PS+ in Europe as well. It's not perfect, but it's a quick, unique game that shows off the Vita's power really well. I love its art style.

#29 Posted by Blommer4 (174 posts) -

If that ammount of money could be consider allmost free for me... man, oh man...

#30 Edited by Optix12 (571 posts) -

I just remembered the new vita is thinner and while I rarely have the problem of it, a ton of people complain about the potential to hit the back touch pad on games so my logic is thinner would mean more of your fingers extend to the back of the device (could be problematic for a game like tearaway)

#31 Posted by Zornack (137 posts) -

OLED, so no, don't return it.

#32 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

@sooty: yup I got my white Vita last year, everyone's always jealous of it.

Although I I think the black ones look nice too. I guess the grass is always greener and all that.

Maybe trying to convince myself I made the right move but I'm not unhappy with my Vita, battery life isn't an issue for me and I don't mind the thickness- it's nice to hold on to.

#33 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

@blommer4 said:

If that ammount of money could be consider allmost free for me... man, oh man...

Oh I meant the Vita in combination with the pack: Buying the game + memory card + mega pack would be 129€. So the Vita itself is 'only' 70€. 200€ is still a large sum of money for me.

#34 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1783 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic said:

Set up PS+ on it. The added features aren't enabled automatically from memory.

Wait, like what? I bought mine last week and that's the first I've heard of that...

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what I missed.

#35 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

I've heard mixed things about the OLED screen vs the LCD. It's not necessarily as black and white as some people are saying. OLED screens generally have the sharper colours, deeper blacks and such. But they don't handle motion as well as LCD's. Depending on the exact LCD that the new Vita uses, it could end up being a very good alternative. We'll have to wait for reviews to see exactly how the screens compare.

But ultimately, you've got a Vita at a great price, and the new model isn't lightyears ahead of it, I'd definitely just keep it.

#36 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

I've heard mixed things about the OLED screen vs the LCD. It's not necessarily as black and white as some people are saying. OLED screens generally have the sharper colours, deeper blacks and such. But they don't handle motion as well as LCD's. Depending on the exact LCD that the new Vita uses, it could end up being a very good alternative. We'll have to wait for reviews to see exactly how the screens compare.

But ultimately, you've got a Vita at a great price, and the new model isn't lightyears ahead of it, I'd definitely just keep it.

They handle motion just as well to the average consumer, you ain't going to be playing any games where the motion could really be an issue. Generally that is only something Quake players have to be concerned with and that's at competitive level. Now the colours and contrast you will notice, I have never seen an LCD to this date that has better contrast than any of the OLED devices I have, and that's including the new Nexus 7 and a HTC One. I'm not the biggest fan of the OLED colours but they certainly do burst from the screen which can be nice, so long as you're not a stickler for excellent colour accuracy. (which to be honest, it's not a huge priority on a handheld gaming system)

I have no doubt the Vita's new LCD will be serviceable but if it's just going to be similar in quality to the LCDs on mid-high end smartphones then it's a downgrade for sure. And this could be totally wrong but in my experience I've also found that OLED screens tend to handle SD content better. What I do like about the new Vita is the different colours but I also feel that the original model looks slightly more premium, although that could just be the renders making the new one look a bit cheaper/plastic than it actually is.

#37 Edited by TehBuLL (569 posts) -

Freedom isn't free...

#38 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@sooty: While I prefer my white Vita over the black one, it bugs me that the PS4 won't be coming in white. I want a white PS4 to match my Vita.

#39 Edited by Salesmunn (75 posts) -

@nictel said:

OLED > LCD so no, I wouldn't return it. It'll be 6+ months before that new Vita hits the US so by then, you may be buying your second Vita (as I will be)

#40 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

Apparently you have the one with the better screen, so no.

#41 Posted by FTomato (233 posts) -

Old Vita has OLED screen, new Vita has micro USB cable instead of proprietary for charging, LCD screen (which is very likely worse), thinner, lighter, 1 more hour of battery life, reworked shoulder buttons, reworked start/select/PS buttons.

Given they're the same price, it's pretty close. I'd give a slight edge to the new Vita thanks to the reworked buttons, but not nearly enough to sell your existing model.

#42 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@crusader8463: Probably because ACIII Liberation isn't that great and, hopefully, the port to console will fix the problems with it.

#43 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

Old Vita > New Vita.

#44 Posted by Eujin (1293 posts) -

@nictel:

The only Accesories I bought for my Vita:

• Official Sony Screen Protector, which was surprisingly the easiest screen protector I've ever had to apply
  • 32 gb Memory Card (check overstock.com and amazon. I got a 32gb from overstock for $65 long before the official price dropped)
  • Carrying case: Don't worry about whether your case can somehow let you play your Vita in it. All of those that allow that seem to forget the Vita has backtouch, so that doesn't really work. I actually enjoyed some of the Vita AR games, so I made sure to find a case that would protect the screen, carry games, and also have space for headphones + the AR cards.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073DCCUI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was the case I bought (it's not actually fabric, it's hard EVA plastic, it just has a fabric appearance to the outside material). Unfortunately, it looks like amazon doesn't carry it anymore, and almost all other cases either only have a pocket for stuff, or only have a screen cover, but not both, so I don't really have any recommendations on that.

#45 Posted by DEFE (197 posts) -

The small amount of research I've done (aka reading comments on articles about the new Vita) suggests to me that the OLED screen is higher quality, but more likely to have problems than the LCD screen on the new Vita. I've seen people complaining of black blotches that sound similar to burn-in on plasma screens. If that's the case, I'm going to wait for the revision to pick up a Vita. I'm fully willing to accept lower quality if it means the system will last longer. Any comments here in regards to the longevity of an OLED vs. and LCD?

As far as your situation is concerned, it sounds like you got a solid deal with that bundle. I'd probably stick with it, even with the likelihood that the slim model will make it out of Japan. Enjoy your Vita!

#46 Posted by Aquablak (174 posts) -

Thank your lucky stars that you got the better model, before it's no longer available.

#47 Edited by fisk0 (3274 posts) -

If you're into JRPG's, the Vita has a bunch of them, both natively and through the PSP and PS1 backwards compatibility. There's the entire Persona series, New Little King's Story (free on PS+, I think) and of course Dragon's Crown and Muramasa (not available on PSN in EU, but widely available as import tapes). If you're into particularly weird ones, Atelier Totori is available on PSN with time limited bonus content that was supposed to be taken off the store back in April, but for some reason is still available (search for Atelier Totori Plus With Bonus, it will appear in the store as "Game Pack" instead of Full Game, but the purchase will unlock both the game and the bonus content), this is at least true for PSN EU. The sequel Atelier Meruru has a similar bonus thing going on until October 1. And there's the Monster Hunter clone Ragnarok Odyssey (though an official Monster Hunter game is supposedly on it's way too, and of course the PSP games).

Spelunky has already been mentioned, but Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are also both available and at least Origins was pretty great on the system (haven't bought Legends yet). Before long you'll find the 32 GB memory card way too small and be annoyed there aren't any 64 GB ones out yet.

#48 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@fisk0: The new Y's game is also coming out soon on Vita. It will probably be pretty good.