OG Vita or Slim?

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm looking to jump on the Vita train with all these great little indie titles to choose from.

I thought I would pick one up through Craigslist and save a little money.

Should I try to find a OG Vita with the OLED display or grab a Slim? Is the new form factor and battery life worth the sacrfice in screen quality? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The battery life on the original Vita is really bad, it's not worth the slightly nicer screen.

Tonch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tonch

Fair warning: I haven't tried the slim Vita yet personally.

Speaking as someone who owns an OG though, I'm not sure it really needed an update (other than the terrible battery, which should really be replaceable in the first place)?

The thing's not that much smaller (not enough to all of a sudden be pocketable, anyway), and I can't say for sure, but I strongly doubt the battery life is up to acceptable levels, even if it is better. As for the screen, the most common noticeable difference is that the LCD screen is yellower/lower contrast than the OLED.

No Caption Provided

The screen may or may not matter to you. I do think the OLED is a damn nice looking screen, but if I hadn't played that one first, I wouldn't be upset about the second one.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I personally owned a white OG Vita, and I thought the battery life was totally great. Way better than 3DS, anyway. I didn't like the weird spots that showed up on the OLED when the screen went black, and screen burn-in can totally happen on the thing, so I'd probably be totally fine with the new one. I usually like owning the latest version of a handheld because they make smart changes you didn't even think about. (Totally getting the new 3DS XL when that comes out).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Corevi
@mormonwarrior said:

(Totally getting the new 3DS XL when that comes out).

The New 3DS is already XL size.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

I got the Vita for the nicer screen this year and don't regret it. It looks a little chunky after being acclimatized to modern cellphone screens but the colours are beautiful.

Tonch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: The new 3DS is actually coming out in both sizes. (I'm assuming most will get an XL though.)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you care about battery life go with the slim. The old ones battery life isn't as bad as some are saying, but it leaves something to be desired if your on a trip and aren't near power outlet. Honestly though, I'm not the type of person to use it for 5 hours straight while on a trip, and I don't know of many people who would use it like that. You use it in short bursts. And the OLED is pretty goddamn magnificent.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whur

i recently bought the original vita because i wanted the oled display. The standby time on the vita is insane so i'm not sure how much battery life is a huge issue to me. The one thing i would say is that the new vita uses micro usb to charge while the old one doesn't. I also found the oled refurbished at fry's for cheap.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah standby is crazy, unlike my 3ds which dies in like two or three days...

Avatar image for captain1ndustry
Captain1ndustry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get whatever you can for cheapest, I own an OG and have used a friends slim and noticed little difference in the two.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By MormonWarrior

@tonch said:

@corruptedevil: The new 3DS is actually coming out in both sizes. (I'm assuming most will get an XL though.)

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/nintendo-new-3ds/

Yep, two sizes. I heard the regular-sized one will be slightly bigger than the regular 3DS (i.e. like the DSi was slightly larger than the DS Lite in screen size, etc.) but I'm still going for the XL. Hope they have cool colors when it comes here. My current 3DS XL is the straight black one with a sick DK decal on it though. I put a Ho-Oh decal on my brother's 3DS too.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for usernameandemail
Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought the new one and was super stressed about the screen quality, but the new units screens look great. Not OLED great, but pretty great.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OLED is nice, but charging on a micro usb sounds pretty swell too.

Idk I have the old one, get whichever is cheapest I'd say. I'll believe there's any huge battery improvements in the new one when I see them.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ripelivejam

everything but the build and the screen of the slim sound damn nice. but the OG is soooo well built, and the screen is soooo pretty...

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both the OG and the Slim and could do comparison posts up and down. My overall take:

• The Slim is without a doubt more comfortable to hold and carry around, it just feels nicer in the hands and is obviously lighter and thinner.
  • That said, the OG is built like a freakin' tank and is the first handheld I've had since the OG Game Boy where I've thought "this could withstand a bomb blast" (aside from the super sweet screen which naturally you should protect like a child).
  • It's nice to have the ability to charge over Micro USB on the Slim, but since a lot of USB ports don't put out enough amps to charge the Vita while it's running, the utility of it may be diminished and come down to simply just having one less cable to carry around.
  • The battery life of the Slim is of course an improvement, but what, only an hour or so more? It's nice but how much that matters depends on how often you play near your charger vs. away.

And of course, the screens...

• In my opinion the screens come down to personal preference. The OLED on the OG is gorgeous, colors pop like you would not believe, but after a while you come to see that perhaps the colors are a bit oversaturated. Good for some people, less good for others. The Slim is an IPS display so still looks pretty damn good, without the oversaturation, but comes with a bit of different color space. It never looks as bad as those "whoa everything is yellow" pictures, but there is a definite difference --- one that is *only* noticeable if you have the two models side by side on the same screen. It doesn't take long to come to see the Slim's screen as "normal", but either way, they're both great screens.

Ultimately I think it comes down to preference. If you know you prefer the way colors pop on an OLED, I don't know if the Slim's other benefits outweigh it. If you have no hard opinion on OLED vs. IPS, Slim's probably a better choice.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Original Vita for every situation unless you want to use it on long trips without a power outlet. And I mean LONG trips. The original has worse battery but it's still good for a few hours.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the OLED model since the last time I actually played a portable system outside of home was the gba sp (one of the best designs ever imo), so battery life is never an issue. I'd go with whatever is priced better as in the end you won't notice a difference unless you constantly have the two side-by-side.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have an original and like others have said, for the one hour or so more battery life on the slim, I'm not sure that would be my deciding factor. Now I have heard the slim does feel better in the hands. Maybe stop into a store and actually get a feel of some used ones to see which one actually has the better feel to it, then make your purchasing decision.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd have bought a 2000 if that was out when I got my oled version. but I got a grip now so the better handling of the new one isn't that important anymore. the built in 1gb is cool and the extra battery life I guess. Just get the better deal.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ry_Ry

I wore out the face buttons on my launch vita (thanks Rouge legacy) and I got a slim to replace it. Both are fine

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a slim really like it.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an OG Vita and I love the screen and have no qualms with battery life for the most part.

I do wish I didn't have to use the dumb proprietary charging cable, though.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't own either. But I can safely say slim is better for two reasons

1) USB charging

2) smaller rear touchpad (and wider grips)