Recommendations for new Vita owner

cire147258369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cire147258369

Ok so im going to buy a Vita on Friday literally just so I can play Dangan Ronpa 2. I have never owned a psp before so what are some really good psp and Vita games??

I like alot of jrpgs,visual novels,and good action adventure games if that helps.

THANK YOU! :D

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Have you considered waiting for the Playstation TV literally just so you can play Danganronpa? Because that's what I'm doing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi
cire147258369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It doesn't exactly fit the categories you listed that you like, but consider Tearaway. If you want something refreshingly unexpected, it uses some cool new ideas to set it apart from other platformers. The game really takes advantage of the Vita hardware and makes you see how a little creativity from developers can justify what sometimes may seem like extraneous features on a console or handheld.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cire147258369: Gravity Rush. Persona 4 Golden. The first Dangan Ronpa. Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward, which was made by the people who made Dangan Ronpa. Tearaway.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you do go with the Vita TV it's worth mentioning that Tearaway and Gravity Rush don't work on it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Muramasa: Rebirth rules and might fit based on the genres you listed.

But Spelunky is all you need.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple not mentioned yet: Corpse Party, The 3rd Birthday

SumMexican75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soul Sacrifice Delta is kinda like a jrpg. Similar to monster hunter except with sorcerers.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I can't believe I forgot Muramasa. That game is amazing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@csl316 said:

There's been a bunch of DLC released, too. Fairly cheap and supposedly pretty good (I was going to go through them all once the last one's released). Standalone stories with new characters.

My first Vita game and probably my favorite so far.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@corruptedevil said:
@csl316 said:

There's been a bunch of DLC released, too. Fairly cheap and supposedly pretty good (I was going to go through them all once the last one's released). Standalone stories with new characters.

My first Vita game and probably my favorite so far.

Did not know that. Played it on the Wii and loved it but had no clue what they added or changed in the Vita version.

cire147258369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanielrain: Corpse Party looks really interesting but as much as I love physiological thrillers I hate pop up scare type games so do you know if it has alot of pop up scares?

cire147258369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Muramasa,Spelunky, and Tearaway all look like great games I haven't played yet so thank you so much guys!:D

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Honestly, if you dont have it already, get a Playstation Plus subscription, even if you only play most of the games for a few min it more than makes up the spend after a couple of months

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so im going to buy a Vita on Friday literally just so I can play Dangan Ronpa 2. I have never owned a psp before so what are some really good psp and Vita games??

I like alot of jrpgs,visual novels,and good action adventure games if that helps.

THANK YOU! :D

Persona 4 Golden.

Zero Escape (play 999 as well if you have a DS as Zero Escape is kind of a sequal but not really)

And of course Danganronpa =)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda: Thank you! I never even knew about the Vita TV :D

Yeah, it will let you play the Vita games on the TV with a DS3 or 4, but it's cheaper. REMEMBER THAT NOT EVERY VITA GAME WILL WORK ON IT. Especially those that are reliant on touch. There is a compatibility list, but it's all in Japanese right now. I'm planning to get one literally just for Persona 4 Golden. You should probably get that game.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dussck

Spelunky, Fez, Rogue Legacy are great indie games to play on it.
Tearaway was my personal game of the year, really had alot of fun with it. It's a classic 3D platformer with some nifty mechanics!
MGS HD collection also plays very well on the Vita.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanielrain: Corpse Party looks really interesting but as much as I love physiological thrillers I hate pop up scare type games so do you know if it has alot of pop up scares?

I can't play scary games...it isn't scary at all IMO, more like gothic cutesy :)

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity Rush!

Play Gravity Rush!!

Oh god why did Nobody play Gravity Rush?! It's so awesome!!!

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By JayDubya

Forget Vita TV. I'd rather spend the extra money, be mobile and compatible with all games.

Virtue's Last Reward and Persona 4 Golden are both brilliant and worth getting a Vita for. The number of free games on PS+ and cross-buy titles you've got more than enough to play with.

Oh god why did Nobody play Gravity Rush?! It's so awesome!!!

I did. It's flawed but nevertheless a great game.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@cire147258369 said:

I can't play scary games...it isn't scary at all IMO, more like gothic cutesy :)

Agreed. It's a goofy game that tells a story that is mildly unsettling, but there's nothing in the way of jump scares or anything like that to worry about. It's similar in tone to something like Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry in America) if you are familiar with that anime.

If you love JRPGs then you should get a lot out of the PSP back catalog. Especially if you enjoy tactic games as well. I large portion of games on my Vita are PSP games I missed since I didn't own one.

I'll also reiterate that PS+ is a no brainer. Aside from the Vita cartridges I have and the handful of PSP games I bought on PSN sales, everything I have has been free via PS+.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bsstephan

If I may just add a couple more game recommendations, while absolutely endorsing the previous ones (especially Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa, and Virtue's Last Reward (three of the finest games to come out on any platform recently, let alone Vita)), I would add on:

• Demon Gaze, for JRPG-style gridder dungeon crawling action
  • Persona 3 Portable, if you come out of P4G wanting more --- it's kind of a step back in some ways, but still really great
  • Mind Zero, if you want even more Persona-style JRPG games --- not without its faults, but every time I think of it, I notice I still ended up liking it
  • CounterSpy, which is super fun spy action (there was a Quick Look recently)
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25 fisk0  Moderator
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contrary to what others are saying, I would buy a Vita. If you have Playstation Plus sub it's a ridiculous value and with lots of indie games coming to PS4/3/Vita, I think it's still worth getting a Vita if you're in the whole PS "ecosystem"... being able to play some of your smaller level games on the go is really nice and worthwhile (for me at least).

With that being said, if you're into JRPGs, Persona 4 Golden is a must. Simply one of the best JRPGs in the last 10 years and certainly one of Vita's best games and one of my all time favourite games. Persona 3 Portable (I have it but haven't put much into it despite beating P3FES) is a strong title but be sure to have a look at the reviews because it's bit different from P3.

Most importantly is to have the PS+ subscription, although I haven't been thrilled with some of the stuff recently, it's still an incredible value. Lumines on the Vita is a game I've played over 100 hrs (over the course of 2 years) and it's a great fun game in same kind of ilk of Tetris. It's been on IGC before so it's unlikely to be on again.

Also, you can pick up games like Virtue's Last Reward if you're looking for the visual novel kinda thing. It's been on Plus before so you're at very little risk of buying it and it going on IGC again.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tearaway makes great use of the Vita hardware and is very pretty.