Remote Play fail

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I got a Vita for Christmas from my lovely wife for the sole purpose of Remote Play. It works fine on our home wife (AT&T U-Verse), to which both the PS4 and the Vita are connected.

However, outside of the home, when trying to play over the Internet, it almost always fails. I get the error message, "Could not connect to the PS4 system. The connection speed of this system might be too slow."

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this? Some things I've tried:
- Rebooting the Vita.
- Opening up my modem ports for the PS4 to allow any incoming traffic to access it.
- Rebooting my modem.

Thanks,
Book

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Whatever network you are connecting it to isn't fast enough. HD video with a low enough latency to be playable is pretty hard to stream.

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm connecting to different networks--public wifis, my cell phone's internet sharing feature, a mobile hotspot... On average I'm getting 6-7 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up. What do the speeds need to be?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try turning off the Direct Connection option in the PS4 remote play settings.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you try whats mentioned here http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

Did you turn off direct connection? Whats your home connection upload like? On the same lan its not going to use your upload speed but it will when it leaves your home.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would say most public and phone 4G WiFi and hot spots will be too slow.

I've played mine on private networks just fine. ie. Parents house; friends house.

It's not perfect but when it works it's golden.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@thebooknerd: You need more speed than 6 up and 3 down, that's not terribly fast, especially for streaming gameplay, video, and sound.

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all of the responses. To answer some questions:

- Direct connect has been turned off between PS4 and Vita.

- I tried everything that Sony recommends. I even set the PS4 to open DMZ instead of just port forwarding.

- My home network was rated as 25 ping/15 down/1.5 up by SpeedTest. And I don't have a problem when connecting that way. PS4 is hard wired by LAN cable in to the modem, and I connect the Vita to home wifi. I can play in other rooms of the house just fine.

So yeah, I'm guessing that any outside connection I use just won't be fast enough. We are in a major metropolitan area with lots of cell traffic. So that idea is a bust, I suppose. I'm open to any suggestions, though. Thanks.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

- I tried everything that Sony recommends. I even set the PS4 to open DMZ instead of just port forwarding.

- My home network was rated as 25 ping/15 down/1.5 up by SpeedTest. And I don't have a problem when connecting that way. PS4 is hard wired by LAN cable in to the modem, and I connect the Vita to home wifi. I can play in other rooms of the house just fine.

So yeah, I'm guessing that any outside connection I use just won't be fast enough. We are in a major metropolitan area with lots of cell traffic. So that idea is a bust, I suppose. I'm open to any suggestions, though. Thanks.

There is your problem. I don't think 1.5 up is fast enough. When you play outside the PS4 has to sent the information out to the internet and 1.5 for HD video is not good enough.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@thehbk said:

@thebooknerd said:

There is your problem. I don't think 1.5 up is fast enough. When you play outside the PS4 has to sent the information out to the internet and 1.5 for HD video is not good enough.

Yeah 1.5 up is problematic. If you try and stream video live on 1.5 it will be a painful experience at HD or the almost-HD of the Vita screen. I was using a 1 down connection on vacation last year and YouTube was only able to play at 360p and even then it sometimes had to stop and buffer.

Maybe there's an option to run at a lower quality? I'm almost certain you could do that on the PSP & PS3.