#1 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

video

It seems fine to me. I'm sure some "techies" will find plenty of faults in it though. Of course, it'll probably be cheaper than the current model if / when it comes to the West. Kind of a hard call to make, what with the bundles (including the enticing white OLED liberation bundle) being priced at $200.

Anyone else pondering over this?

#2 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2249 posts) -

It's not going to be any cheaper then $200 when it comes to here. Why would it be?

#3 Posted by believer258 (11817 posts) -

Oh boy. It gave me a pizza ad. And I'm hungry.

Anyway, I want the old one before it goes off of store shelves. The old one looks a bit fatter (nice, I don't want something super thin) and has that OLED screen. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be happy with this one, though.

Online
#4 Edited by Aegon (5546 posts) -
@oscar__explosion said:

It's not going to be any cheaper then $200 when it comes to here. Why would it be?

Because the newer model is made of cheaper material? The price in yen is roughly equivalent to $190 US. Japan's gaming related prices are usually higher.

Here's a quote from an IGN video on the new vita:

Lighter, smaller, cheaper, and with built-in memory, the new PS Vita aims to break the handheld's soft sales. But will it?

#5 Posted by Rowr (5552 posts) -

It looks like a vita.

What exactly is different in these newer models?

#6 Posted by Rowr (5552 posts) -

It looks like a vita.

What exactly is different in these newer models?

#7 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

@aegon said:
@oscar__explosion said:

It's not going to be any cheaper then $200 when it comes to here. Why would it be?

Because the newer model is made of cheaper material?

Yeah, so the cost of production can go down and they can make more of a profit on it. They're not going to lower the price. They did the same thing with the "super slim" PS3s.

#8 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

@rowr: LCD screen instead of OLED, buttons look slightly different, 1 GB of built-in memory (original Vita had none), slightly more battery life and it's apparently lighter.

#9 Edited by Aegon (5546 posts) -

@metalgearsunny said:

@aegon said:
@oscar__explosion said:

It's not going to be any cheaper then $200 when it comes to here. Why would it be?

Because the newer model is made of cheaper material?

Yeah, so the cost of production can go down and they can make more of a profit on it. They're not going to lower the price. They did the same thing with the "super slim" PS3s.

But bundles with 4 gigs of memory plus a game cost $200 right now. Is this some sort of temporary sale?

#10 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I might have to get myself that OG Vita if it's gonna go off store shelves and the OLED is significantly better. If one of them Pink slims comes to NA though --man-- I dunno what I'll do.

#11 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2249 posts) -

@aegon said:

@metalgearsunny said:

@aegon said:
@oscar__explosion said:

It's not going to be any cheaper then $200 when it comes to here. Why would it be?

Because the newer model is made of cheaper material?

Yeah, so the cost of production can go down and they can make more of a profit on it. They're not going to lower the price. They did the same thing with the "super slim" PS3s.

But bundles with 4 gigs of memory plus a game cost $200 right now. Is this some sort of temporary sale?

weren't those last years bundles? They were priced the same as just the wifi VitaAnd those probably got the same $50 price drop the base model got.

#12 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

I'll just say this to those on the fence:

I bought my Vita two weeks ago. This OLED screen? Oh my god. The colors are so good.

#13 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

@oscar__explosion: No, I checked the regular prices for a wifi Vita and it's $200 as well, along with the 3G version in some stores (EB games aka Canadian Gamestop). Not sure what's going on.

#14 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

I'm not sure you need to be a "techie" to consider the new model a downgrade.

Online
#15 Posted by Aegon (5546 posts) -

I'm not sure you need to be a "techie" to consider the new model a downgrade.

Sure, you can go LCD, OLED? Hrumph, but not too many people will get into much more detail than that.

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14421 posts) -

I'm jealous that the new one has better speaker placement. The couple times I tried to play on my Vita it annoyed me that the current placement of the speakers are right where your thumbs rest. So they always mute out the speakers or you need to cramp your hand a bit to keep it elevated.