Have you ever caught a Shiny Pokemon the legit way?

• 54 results
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Have you ever caught a Shiny Pokemon the legit way? (123 votes)

Yes 57%
No 43%

So lately I have been replaying Pokemon LeafGreen and been in the Pokemon mood. While thinking about what Pokemon I have caught over my games, I have never caught a Shiny Pokemon the legit way. So I created this poll to see if any fellow Bombers have caught one the legit way.

Shiny Gyarados, Event Pokemon, or Pokemon caught with cheating devices such as Action Replay don't count.

For those of you that don't know how to catch one, here is a video that scratches the basics of it.

• 
Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I don't think I've ever seen a shiny. So no. I guess the Red Gyarados but I don't think that counts.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've caught a red Gyarados...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No. Don't bother me. It just look different.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Getting this deep into Pokemon that you game the Shiny Pokemon system or you game the EV system has NEVER made sense to me. I just never had enough peers at high school or university that cared about Pokemon for there to be anyone to appreciate such a carefully manicured team of dudes.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Only the Gyarados.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I killed one back in the day playing gold version. That was the first time I saw that particular pokemon (ice pig thing, forget the name) so I thought it was just the animation for it. It was months before I found out what a shiny pokemon actually was.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Petiew

I found a shiny Shellos in Diamond. It's a lighter, almost brown colour and looks terrible.

Aside from that I got a shiny baby pokemon from the day care couple in Crystal a bunch of times. I think the egg they gave you had like a 30% chance of being shiny.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never even knew they existed. And I played a lot of pokemon..

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I found a shiny Sableeye in Emerald which I managed to catch.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I did by accident. I just thought they screwed the coloring up on Sandshrew.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Statistically, there is no fucking way that 45% of you legitimately encountered and then caught a Shiny Pokemon.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I didn't even know that they existed until about half a year ago when I saw a forum post about one.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've caught a shiny Electrode and a shiny Tropius.

Rothael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Take into account the fact that people aren't obligated to respond to the question. The majority of people in these forums have not caught one, and most of those people don't feel that they have something to contribute to the conversation by just saying 'no I haven't caught a shiny'. You are going to have an incredibly skewed ratio of "Yes"'s to "No"s here.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've caught a few. Most recent one was Liepard in Black and White.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think so. I don't even remember which game or what it was, but some random wild Pokemon in one of the more recent generations popped up as, I assume shiny. I caught it, after some work, then it proceeded to sit in the computer at the Pokemon Center until I probably deleted the save to start a new game.

So it was probably an ugly Pokemon.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think so, but I'm color blind so it might be hard to tell.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Many years ago in Pokemon Sapphire I reloaded my save in front of Rayquaza until I encountered a shiny one, which I caught with a Master Ball. It took about 40 minutes of restarting. In hindsight I realize that it was stupid as shit and probably the most autistic thing I have ever done in my life.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty. It's not like it's hard, you just have to have played enough. Considering I put ~300-500 hours into each gen of Pokémon 1-3, I caught probably something like 10 shinies.

Avatar image for piqued_interest
Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen 2 or 3, with the only catch being a Sharpedo.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Closest encounter i've had with a shiny was when I was watching a friend play Pokemon Ruby.

First time he battles Groudon it shows up gold, needless to say we both lost our shit... but then he couldn't catch it and had to reload and it was replaced by a normal Groudon.

It was a sad day.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shiny Wurmple in Ruby

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePaleKing

I've caught/encountered a few. First one was a shiny Eggsecute I encountered in the Safari Zone, and actually managed to catch it. Then a shiny Rattata that I also managed to catch. Also encountered some shiny dog pokemon I can't remember, but I was running through the area and just escaping fights, so my muscle memory caused me to escape the fight just as I noticed it was shiny.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Petiew

@bisonhero said:

Statistically, there is no fucking way that 45% of you legitimately encountered and then caught a Shiny Pokemon.

Shinies have been in Pokemon since Gold and Silver, there have been a lot of games since and a lot of opportunities to catch one.

The radar in Diamond/Pearl and the masuda method also increased the chances of a shiny pokemon appearing. 45% isn't very farfetch'd.

Since we're on a similar topic. Has anyone caught pokerus in their game?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Tentacool.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people would say the Gyarados in the lake of rage is a "legitimate encounter".

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played well over 200 hours of Pokémon games over the past 3 years, and still no luck finding shinnies.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, I came across a shiny Natu and a shiny Solrock in Ruby version. My little brother- I don't know how he has the patience to reset his game over and over, but he's gotten a legendary Groundon and Chikorita.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm generally considered an unlucky person, because all of my luck is wasted on shiny pokemon. It's the worst superpower ever. I've caught a Muk, a Banette, a Lairon, a Makuhita, a Slowpoke, an Onix (which I didn't catch, it hatched that way), a Steelix, a Nincada (which was two for the price of one), and my absolute favorite, a Rayquaza. Also I encountered a genuine Red Gyarados in Ruby, which I accidentally killed, but he's not a very cool one to have anyways. I've played waaay too much Pokemon you guys.

I also have some from friends, which I can't vouch for the authenticity of, some from events, and a whole bundle of Eevee's from this weekend where I was stuck at my grandparents and tried out chaining. I don't do that anymore, it kind of ruins what's special about them.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

I have FOUND a shiny pokemon - a shiny zubat in fact - legitimately. Accidentally killed it. This was, I kid you not, literally about an hour after my brother told me about the existence of shiny pokemon.

I can't believe I didn't catch it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My tepig in my second play through of Black 2 was shiny. Always wanted a shiny Lucario but no luck so far.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caught one in Pearl. I believe it was a Nidoran. It took a number of hours hunting with the Pokemon Radar to get it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB
Pidgey to Pidgeot
Pidgey to Pidgeot
Budew to Roserade
Budew to Roserade

Of course I raised them to level 100, because I was craaazy back then!

Oh, and I love telling the story of how the first shiny Pokemon I'd ever seen was a "different colored" (red) Sudowoodo back in Gold. Those are some crazy odds considering he was a unique back then. And of course, I ran out of Pokeballs.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I never have. I didn't even know they existed until a couple of years ago and I've played hundreds of hours of Pokemon over the years ever since the original came out. I guess that's just how rare they are.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I haven't played a crazy amount of any of the Pokemon games besides Pearl though, so that's probably why. Maybe I'll play a lot and get lucky this Pokemon generation?

Zerys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I encountered a shiny pokemon, forgot what it was, but I accidently one hit killed it. Sad day. I did trade a shiny ditto though.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couaght a red Gyarados in Pokemon SoulSilver.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Gyarados and a legit one on Emerald. I don't remember what I caught...

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No unless you count the time I had a shiny hatch from an egg or the time I got a shiny from a fossil. Then yes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I did catch a shiny Weedle legitimately in Soul Silver. It's a pity that Beedril is kind of crap, because otherwise I would've used it on my team.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Does chaining count? It should, it's not easy. If so, then I've caught upwards of 50 shiny pokemon. Then after awhile I figured out it was easier to just abuse the RNG and get shiny pokemon from eggs. Still, using the pokeradar and finally finding that one shiny patch of grass is an amazing feeling.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By marmalade

Back when I first read up on IVs I started breeding my favourite pokeman, Milotic, to get one with good stats on it. After about the fourth one a sickly looking purple Feebas popped out. That shiny Milotic has stayed with me since. It's my only shiny and it's SPECIAL! Interestingly enough, according to that video Pokerus is more rare than shinies, yet I've managed to encounter it in every generation I've played.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember going out of my way to get a shiny pokemon in Gold and eventually caught it using a scyther. But I have no idea which pokemon it was or where that cart is.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Canteu

I had a shiny Butterfree once! Can't remember what version though...

The real question, however, is have any of your Pokémon ever contracted Pokérus!?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By awesomeusername
@bisonhero said:

Don't hate! I've caught 2 that I remember. It was a shiny Tentacruel and I think a shiny Nidoran, the female version. Both were in Pokemon Silver and both were the legit way. No cheats. I may have caught a couple more, I don't remember though.

Also would like to say it's at 45% because a bunch of people caught the Red Gyarados which OP forgot to exclude until after.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:
have any of your Pokémon ever contracted Pokérus!?

Yes!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I haven't, but I have always been intrigued by them. Maybe when X&Y is released I can get my first.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once tried to breed a shiny pokemon, but then was like fuck it and started playing Bayonetta.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I have never seen one by any means.