Starter and Mascot Legendary Pokemon Trailer

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

A new pokemon trailer has been released and you get to see a preview of the pokemon to come. Pokemon Sun will get a Lion creature while Pokemon Moon will get a bat creature. The game comes out November 18, 2016.

Rowlet is a grass-and-flying type owl, Litten is a fire-type kitten (geddit?) and Popplio is a water-type that looks like a seal-clown hybrid.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rowlet and Litten are pretty cool.

Is this the first time that one of the starters is flying?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Litten is fucking LIT.

Ahem. I'm excited for these games.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowlet is baller! Look at that bowtie. LOOK AT IT!

Seal looks dumb, so that means his final evo will be the coolest looking.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm really liking the tropical look of the location.

I'm going to need to see the evolutions before settling on my choice but my initial feeling is going with Rowlet. It's my favorite design of the bunch and I haven't picked the Grass starter in a while. Also, I'm thinking I'll be sticking with my Moon choice for the version.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blomakrans: Rowlet is probably the only starter in general to get a second type in its first form. And for certain he's the only flying type.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Rowlet looks so cool!

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acura_max: bulbasaur is grass/poison, but yeah, a flying type grass starter is dope. No weakness to flying type attacks!

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am waaaaay into Rowlet.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@acura_max: bulbasaur is grass/poison, but yeah, a flying type grass starter is dope. No weakness to flying type attacks!

Not sure where you're getting that from, grass-flying is still weak to flying type attacks.

Charizard is a flying type. Unless you meant they started as flying type in which case Rowlet would be the first.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That cat looks fed up, I'm sold.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I quite like the design of the seal fish clown dog, said nobody ever.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably go with Rowlet. I've always liked Flying types. Hawlucha was one of my favorites from the last generation.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Digging the Hawaii/Okinawa vibe they seem to be going for but also hoping it isn't consistent throughout the whole region (it's called the Aloha region so who knows?) since I always liked the variation between the different cities.

The starters seem pretty cool, Rowlet is cute but that perfect not-having-it cat face on the cat is amazing. Water seal is...stupid looking? Between this thing and Oshawott, not sure what the deal is with water starters and the weird looking faces.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topsteer: yeah, you're right. Don't know where I got that from either ha.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topsteer said:
@planetfunksquad said:

Not sure where you're getting that from, grass-flying is still weak to flying type attacks.

@blomakrans said:

Charizard is a flying type. Unless you meant they started as flying type in which case Rowlet would be the first.

Isn't Torchic from Ruby/Sapphire a flying type?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topsteer said:
@planetfunksquad said:

@blomakrans said:

Isn't Torchic from Ruby/Sapphire a flying type?

No it's only fire. This would the be the first flying grass starter though.

Honestly my only excitement for this game comes from being able to transfer guys from Pokemon Yellow which I just finished but need to catch the three birds. Probably will with Sun because of the lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Is that added on to the Eshops version of Red/Blue/Yellow? I thought I read something about that but didn't go deep into it. This announcement brought back the Pokefever in me and I've never transferred my older games up, and If i can do that with the really old ones that would be amazing.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hmm, grass + flying combo as a starter seems interesting. Though, I'd really hoped that the other two also would have been dual-type.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@49th said:

I quite like the design of the seal fish clown dog, said nobody ever.

I think it's pretty cute. :'(

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By colourful_hippie

@colourful_hippie: Is that added on to the Eshops version of Red/Blue/Yellow? I thought I read something about that but didn't go deep into it. This announcement brought back the Pokefever in me and I've never transferred my older games up, and If i can do that with the really old ones that would be amazing.

When I said Yellow I was referring to the eShop one so yeah all three of those games will be able to transfer pokemen over to Sun/Moon via Pokebank.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mythdark: I bet the other ones will evolve into dual types, just as Torchic is fire type, but evolves into Blaziken who is Fire/Fighting type.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am interested (though, I'll wait until I see evolutions and the gimmicks/lore of the legendaries before judging).

I'm happy that customisation seems to be back (at least the Japanese trailer showed skin-tone options). Look forward to Poke-Hawaii.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

@mythdark: Oh they will evolve into dual types for sure there already hints in concept art they released.

The Fire starter is shown shooting a fire ball with rocks in it as well as having its hair stand on end when it attack with red tips. Basically all volcano themed. So It will most likely be Fire/Ground maybe Fire/Rock. Actually reading the description on the pokemon site apparently the fire starter has fur covered in oil that it ignites to make a fiery furball. Taking that in account fire/dark?

The water starter is shown to be very acrobatic which makes me guess it will be water/fighting. Unless it's more of a trickster angle and we have another water/dark this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Oh that's really cool, I guess I have some work to do before November!

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryuku_ryosake: a lot of people are thinking water/fairy for popplio because it looks kind of "playful". That could be rad.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Rowlet has the best design obviously. Its just a cute little spherical owl with a leaf bowtie! I'm not really into Litten, but I can see why some like it. If Alex Navarro was into Pokemon, he'd pick Litten in a heartbeat knowing his love for cats. I kind of think Popplio is getting a bit of a bum rep. The design is far from great, but I think it looks ok. I fear that it will end up having the worst evolution designs looking more like a clown than a seal.

Speaking of that, people are speculating that these starters will have some kind of Circus theme going forward. So Rowlet could be a Ringleader since it has a Bow Tie, Litten could become a fire hoop jumping tiger (that could be kind of awesome), and yeah, Popplio could be the clown. They better not turn any of these starters into anamorphic creatures though, because I just want Rowlet to become a cool grass owl rather than something like Blaziken.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy that seal starter looks rough. There's already a Seal pokemon and it looks way better than that thing.

Fire cat is rad, though, and the overworld seems to be improved on over X/Y.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That cat might be my new favorite starter. I didnt know Bob from animal crossing was going to be a pokemon this time around. A cat with that apathetic face just goes straight to my heart. Hoping it's dark/fire and that the evolutions keep up the quality design. Owl seems cool too. And water once again doesn't interest me at all, but water pokemon are always everywhere in these games so it's no big deal.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm torn between the cat and the owl...but I'm leaning towards the owl. Cause I just like owls.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By sodapop7

Y'all crazy, that seal is the best one

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: That would be cool but I feel like fairy is like dragon and it just too good of a type to give to a starter. They did give Empoleon steel type though so I could be off base.

This is a problem with fighting being a lack of hands and legs. Minus the odd legendary all fighting types have arms and legs. So he'd have to grown them. But high athletic ability points to fighting type. If there is going to be a pure single type though I would bet on Popplio.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowlet is super cute! Isn't his type horrible, though? I don't remember those grass/flying dudes back in Gold/Silver setting the world on fire. It seems like a type combination that just gives you more weaknesses.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: Yeah grass/flying is ok. It doesn't cover for any of grass' myriad weakness. Unless it's ground, rock, water, or steel which are the some of best defensive types then it will have garbage defense because of how bad the grass type is. Flying is an interesting offensive type and ground immunity is always good. So there's some potential.

Also if it ends up being fire/dark and water/fighting like I'm guessing. Then they are pretty similar. No real defensive advantage just more offensive options.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the Japanese trailer I mentioned earlier which gives some gameplay of the Alola region:

Loading Video...

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder which starter they'll give everything to this time.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: Rowlet has a double weakness to ice attacks. But Charizard has a double weakness to rock attacks I believe (because its Fire/Flying). Some other water starters have also had double weaknesses. Like Swampert (final evolved form of Mudkip) who is doubly weak to grass attacks because its type is Water/Ground.

I really hope trainer customization returns for this one. I know the justification for it in X/Y was because Kalos was modeled on France; and France is about fashion or something. And OR/AS didn't have it because they were remake games. But bring it back.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By SMTDante89

Though I think I like Rowlet's design the best (that 180 degree head turn!) there's something about Popplio that really speaks to me, and that was the one I was drawn to most based on still images before I saw any trailer. It just seems so cheery and playful, and I like that a lot.

Ultimately I'm going to wait and see evolutionary chains first, but I'm leaning more towards Popplio, then Rowlet and finally Litten.

Edit: Also I think I like Sun's cover legendary more than Moon's, by a pretty wide margin.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rowlet looks great, both legendaries are cool, especially the bat one.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By BisonHero

Totodile was the last pretty cool water starter, right?

DragoniteDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragoniteDude

@49th: Why is everybody hating on Popplio. Sure it looks really silly, but that's the point its supposed to be a performer pokemon does tricks all the time. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT. Oh and it's a sea lion not a seal.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowlet4Life

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GIVE ME THE GAME NOW

DragoniteDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

Fuck y'all me and Popplio are going straight to the top bwark bwark losers.

Going to be the first one I play since Gold/Silver, looking forward to it.

#TEAMPOPPLIO,but seriously you better watch playthroughs of the other gens or you are going to be lost.

DragoniteDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to say that the types for the legendaries didn't disappoint me. I was expecting both to be psychic since the psychic type is associated with space and the secondary types work out in a way. Now the thing everyone is excited about is Rotom-Dex the living pokedex/ mini map/ poke-navi(who I hope isn't annoying). It seems like you get the Rotom right at the beginning, but you probably won't be able to use him in battle. Trailer:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XW14HO7C1Dg