Posted by alanm26v5 (463 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Finding shinies? (75 votes)

In the wild 12%
In the Friend Safari 16%
From Breeding 5%
Nope! 72%

Seems like people at least think the shiny rate is higher in this game than pervious, especially in the Friend Safari. I've never seen a shiny in any game (only played the GBA games) until 2 days ago, and I just caught my second one. Both have been in the Friend Safari. Also I didn't think I'd care at all about catching them, but now that I have, plus the fact they're cutesy 3d models now... I haven't done much breeding but I put a Japanese Ditto in the day-care. Just curious as to what others are experiencing.

#1 Posted by SMTDante89 (2578 posts) -

I actually got a Shiny Bulbasaur from Sycamore. That's the only one I've seen so far and I doubt I'll see many more than that.

#2 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Haven't found one in this game yet, but I hear tipping people increases the odds of finding a shiny. Probably not by much, but hey.

#3 Posted by Flappy (2351 posts) -

I haven't found a shiny once (not counting Red Gyrados) and that makes me quite salty. However, if I managed to breed a Timid female Shiny Fennekin, I'm pretty certain that my body would burst into flames from the overwhelming amount of raw hype.

I'll probably do the fishing trick to get a shiny Skrelp or something. Iunno...

#4 Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy (259 posts) -

I caught a random shiny Spiritomb in the Friend Safari, and it certainly seems people are finding quite a few there. I'd bank on there being some sort of up in the frequency of shiny appearances this gen. It especially feels like it to me since I've never encountered a shiny by chance like that before.

#5 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2603 posts) -

I see a lot of shiny Pokemon on the GTS, and of course people always want unobtainable shit like Suicine and Typhlosion.

I haven't caught one personally yet in X and Y but I bet when I do it will be something super lame.

#6 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

This is my eighth game and I haven't seen a single shiny in the wild.

#7 Posted by alanm26v5 (463 posts) -

@turtlebird95: My first one was a Tangela. I don't know if that's lame or cool. At least you can tell it's different.

#8 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5977 posts) -

I've played every iteration up until now and have only ever found three shinies. One was a whismur and the other two were both caterpies. Nothing really interesting, and if I happen to find another in X I imagine it'll be similar.

#9 Posted by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -
#10 Posted by Bollard (5827 posts) -

I found my first ever Shiny in Sapphire - shiny Tentacool. Green ass motherfucker.

But yeah, I'm 99% sure the shiny rate in X and Y is jacked waaaaay up. My friend who has never had a shiny before got one, and I got another one just out of the blue (he was a blue Electrode actually, dope). I've heard lots of people recounting similar stories.

#11 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

I tried some chain fishing and caught a shiny poliwhirl on the 46th hook. Took about 20 minutes.

#12 Posted by DarthOrange (3890 posts) -

I am pretty sure the rate is way higher then it has been before. I had never found a shiny before this game. I found a shiny Fletching at the beginning of the game (was the third Pokemon I ran into). My brother found a Shiny Psyduck.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

I haven't seen one. I'm pretty sure I exhausted all of my Shiny Luck in previous games. I have far more than I believe I statistically should. I've gotten 10 by myself, not including ones I used the Pokeradar for.

#14 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

I weighed in up once, I've got over 600 hours in the main Pokemon games (Red, Yellow, Gold, Diamond, X) ... and I've never caught a shiny except for that red Gyarados. I did contract PokeRus in Gold which had a 3 in 65,536 of ocurring acording to Bulbapedia. Can't win them all.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12102 posts) -

I did some chain fishing and now possess a shiny Goldeen and Sharpedo. With a pokemon that has Suction Cups or Sticky Hold, it's really hard to not get a bite. I'll have to try radar chaining at some point too, because there aren't a ton of fishing rod pokemon I'd be super stoked to catch.

#16 Edited by kerse (2118 posts) -

I'm continuing my streak of playing every pokemon game multiple times through and never seeing a shiny ever. I did get pokerus a couple times though.

#17 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

I just found another one. A whismur in a horde battle. That's two in two days!

#18 Posted by Capum15 (4987 posts) -

Nothing so far, just under 42 hours in.

Think I've seen 15-20 total since they were first introduced. Was it G/S/C?

#19 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Unfortunately I have yet to see a shiny Pokemon.

#20 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

Shiny Ponyta with bad nature and ability. Friend Safari. It's my second shiny ever.

#21 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

never ever gotten one, fuck Pokemon.

#22 Edited by Nights (619 posts) -

I was fortunate enough to find a shiny Electabuzz in the Friend Safari. Been trying to breed a shiny Froakie, but haven't had any luck thus far. Shiny Greninja is amazing.

#23 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Just found a shiny Gulpin awwwwwwwwwwww shit!

#24 Posted by perfectlizardwizard (112 posts) -

I literally walked into the safari zone and the first thing that popped up was a shiny Pikachu. That said, I have cooked up 300+ eggs with different region pokes and haven't gotten 1 shiny.

#25 Posted by 49th (2840 posts) -

I caught a shiny Sableeye in emerald once. Then I used it in my party just because it was shiny.

#26 Posted by Zeg (93 posts) -

While I have admittedly ground for nearly 30 hours before the third gym (because... I'm crazy or something), I've found 2 shinies so far just from regular grass; a Skiddo and a Ducklett. I've seen one shiny before that, in Black, which I think was a natural one too. So I'm gonna say shiny rate is up.

#27 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3790 posts) -

I caught a shiny Mr. Mime... shit.

#28 Posted by alanm26v5 (463 posts) -

So I've been using a safari with Audino to mindlessly level and evolve stuff to fill the Pokedex. The other Pokemon present there is Aipom and I now have 3 shiny ones. I haven't seen a shiny Audino though.

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

If you guys have Shiny's you don't know what to do with, maybe post them in the trading thread? Maybe you'll get an offer for something awesome. Mr. Mime is someone's favorite pokemon.

#30 Posted by LetsGameFreak (4 posts) -

The Friend Safari boosts the chances because if your friend is OFFLINE then there is only a total of TWO pokemon that can be encountered, and as you may or may not know, encountering the same pokemon repeatedly boosts your chances of finding that pokemon in shiny.

#31 Posted by TheBlue (434 posts) -

@letsgamefreak: That's not quite true, only when you're chaining the same Pokemon through the Pokeradar does encountering the same one boost the shiny rate. You can't use the Pokeradar in the Friend Safari which is a bummer.

Also, the third Pokemon in each safari only shows up when your friend has beaten the Elite 4 and you have both been online at the same time. You don't need to always be on together to unlock the third.

#32 Posted by LetsGameFreak (4 posts) -

@theblue: Touché! Haha, guess I need to research some more!

#33 Edited by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -

once caught a shiny Geodude. Hes made of gold and is totally pimpin. Too bad geodude is a lame pokemon!

#34 Edited by Generic_username (634 posts) -

I haven't found a shiny yet, but I've been trying all week to. I did manage to catch Pokerus from a wild Pokemon though, and from what I hear the chances of that are even smaller then the chances of finding a shiny. I was pretty happy about that, at least. Also, I totally have Pokerus if anyone needs it, I'll hook you up. (PM me, don't ask on the thread)

Also, from what I've been seeing around the internet, it seems like the shiny rate is around 1/4000ish as opposed to 1/8000ish, and in the friend safari it's around 1/2000ish. The rate from breeding has been doubled as well, including with the Masuda method. I don't have any direct sources, but I've been scouring the internet about this stuff all week and those are the numbers that stuck with me, so I'm assuming those are the ones I saw the most.

#35 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

This is the second shiny I've gotten in a trade. First was Gyarados but I figured everybody knew what Shiny Gyarados looked like. Traded a Grovyle for this.

#36 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3790 posts) -

My 3rd shiny pokemon bred. This one was funny cause I was breeding pokemon for another user on the site and I guess I missed that I actually bred a shiny until later on.

#37 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

Chained up a shiny absol- the way Pokeradar works in this game, for every 20 pokemon in the chain your guarenteed 1 perfect IV so at 40 it had perfect Attack and Speed. Found a shiny Scraggy in a horde and a shiny Emolga in the Safari. Once Pokemon Bank finally comes out, I'll have a nice stock of chained shinies from Diamond. Back when it didn't limit you to 1 shiny per pokeradar chain.