#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

HERE is today's X/Y-centric Nintendo Direct for those of you who couldn't watch it live.

- Pokémon Bank: Online service + 3DS app to store up to 3,000 different individual pokémon. Annual fee required, though we don't know how much it will cost. ~Edit: More official info on the Pokémon Bank.

- Poké Transporter: 3DS to transfer pokémon from Pokémon White/Black and White 2/Black 2 to Pokémon X/Y. Requires Pokémon Bank account (which, in turn, requires an annual fee).

- Dual starter system: Your first Kalos starter (Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie) is given to you by one of your friends. The second starter is given to you shortly afterwards by the professor: Kanto's Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle.

- Mega Charizard, Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur confirmed.

#2 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

Two starter pokemon? Fucking sick. In that case, I'll probably choose Chespin and Charmander then.

#3 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

I already knew Blastoise had a Mega form, but still... MEGA BLAAASTOIIIISE! BLLLLAASTOISSSEEE. (My favorite Pokemon btw)

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the annual fee thing. I guess I have to see how much it is first, but seriously Pokemon X/Y were going to make Nintendo so much money as it is.

#4 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4757 posts) -

OHGOD SO EXCITE

Me and Mega Charizard are going places.

#5 Posted by Forcen (1829 posts) -

So that means that all known pokemon could be obtained in this game? 3d models and all? That's crazy.

Are they able to patch 3ds games like this one?

#6 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

MEGA BLASTOISE WHAT THE FUCK LOOK AT THAT FUCKING CANNON

#7 Edited by MEATBALL (3242 posts) -

Oh man, I thought it was going to be live at the regular Nintendo Direct time, so didn't expect it for another hour or two. I'll have to give it a watch.

Edit: Watched it. Man, I hope I'm right in feeling that they were hinting pretty strongly at the game having a lot of mega evolutions. I'd love to see Mega Evolutions for some favourites like Electivire.

#8 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Mega Charizard? Charmander as a starter once again? OH MY FUCKING GOD. Want this so hard right now. I'm going to go hug my 3DS and never let go.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#10 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I was going to pick up a 3DS XL soon or later so guess I'll be picking this one up. Being able to have the original starter pokemon suddenly just made me very interested in X&Y!

#11 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -
#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

GET HYYYYYYPPPEDD!!

#13 Edited by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

Regarding starters. I've got an idea, something I do every single game.

Start the game 3 times, picking different starters and then trade them over to another DS. On the third time, trade the other 2 back over. Simple.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24818 posts) -

Two starters. Mega Evolutions. Oh shit, son. This is gonna be amazing!

#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

@alistercat: I've done that. Kinda requires you to either know somebody with another DS/3DS and a copy of the game or for you to have another DS/3DS and copy of the game.

In Pokemon Diamond/Pearl I did something a lot more fun, as I knew 2 guys that were also getting the game. We each agreed on which Pokemon to start with and later just traded eggs with each other.

Anyhow, to say I'm excited for the old starters would be pushing it, but I'd gladly take a Bulbasaur when the game offers me one.

#16 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

I'm preparing myself for the realization it's another pokemon game.

#17 Edited by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@alistercat said:

Start the game 3 times, picking different starters and then trade them over to another DS. On the third time, trade the other 2 back over. Simple.

It's confirmed that you can upload save pokémon to the Pokémon Bank from different carts. So it's even easier now: start the game, pick a starter, play until you can use the Pokémon Bank (which hopefully is soon enough), save your starter, restart the game. Repeat twice and boom, all three/six starters.

Or even better, just breed your starter and put it on trade on the GTS, asking for another starter. Almost guaranteed trade, and you save yourself tinkering with other 3DSes or the Pokémon Bank.

@nictel said:

Well fuck. I am going to buy a 3DS now, aren't I? Is X or Y more like Blue?

More like Blue in what sense? You can choose any of the three Kanto starters no matter the version you choose.

#18 Posted by Akyho (1649 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@alistercat said:

It's confirmed that you can upload save pokémon to the Pokémon Bank from different carts. So it's even easier now: start the game, pick a starter, play until you can use the Pokémon Bank (which hopefully is soon enough), save your starter, restart the game. Repeat twice and boom, all three/six starters.

Or even better, just breed your starter and put it on trade on the GTS, asking for another starter. Almost guaranteed trade, and you save yourself tinkering with other 3DSes or the Pokémon Bank.

With one handy payment to Nintendo for the subscription of the service....all I see is nintendo wins.

What I wand to know will the games be single save only still? or am I going to have buy another cart for my sister to forking play like the last 15 years of pokemon has been?

#19 Posted by Flappy (2254 posts) -

As much as I love Mega Charizard, I'm holding out hope for a Mega Feraligatr.

#20 Posted by Itwongo (1198 posts) -

Damn. Every day I come closer and closer to buying this game.

#21 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@alistercat said:

@nictel said:

Well fuck. I am going to buy a 3DS now, aren't I? Is X or Y more like Blue?

More like Blue in what sense? You can choose any of the three Kanto starters no matter the version you choose.

More blue, I did some research and now know:

The X is blue and as such is more like the best Pokemon game: Blue

#22 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

Two starter pokemon, one set being the original sounds great. I honestly don't think I could be more excited for these games at this point.

#23 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I love how Mega Blastoise attack comes from the air in front of him rather than one of the many water cannons it has.

#24 Posted by Itwongo (1198 posts) -

@angeln7: that might be a deal breaker for me and blastoise

#25 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

As someone who hasn't played a pokemon sine Gold and Silver I can see how two starters can be cool. The annual cost stuff seems kind of sleezy though.

#26 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

How does Mega Venusaur even move?

#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Not really a fan of having to pay to be able to transfer my Pokemon from Black 2 to Y. Seems like it will be free for a bit so I guess I will transfer all me Pokemans during the free period. Duel starters seems cool.

#28 Edited by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -
#29 Edited by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

I wish they would stop doing the Pokemon transfers for just one generation to kill off all the edited Pokemans. Though I think a flashcart for 3ds was released not long ago, so this generation is probably compromised again. I get that people can get attached to a Bulbasaur they have been carrying around for almost 20 years now but come on. My lifelong quest of catching them all is totally meaningless when any 10 year old can do it in 10 minutes.

I was wondering how the mega evolutions would be balanced and I just looked it up. I didn't know they were just temporary, ending after every battle. Losing a round transforming your Pokemon seems like a risky move against a good trainer.

#30 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Nintendo Discovers the Cloud; Renames it the Bank.

Seriously though, that was a pretty great video (though the name-drop of an actress I've never heard of was a bit weird, but she's probably massive in Japan so it probably made sense). Having two starters is pretty cool, and I love how they are having them create a service for distributing Pokémon to not only the next generation. And if the annual fee is small, then it's probably worth it.

Also, going by their website, I wonder how the illegal Pokémon block will work; I hope it doesn't adversely affect any of my other Pokémon if one of the ones I traded for on the GTS happened to be an illegal one.

#31 Posted by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

Huh...they didn't start the "mega recycling" till now?

#32 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Fuck yes, Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard were my favourites ever seen I got a shiny Charizard in my second pack of Pokemon cards.

#33 Edited by Otacon (2209 posts) -

And suddenly out of nowhere I'm superhyped for this.

#34 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@dixavd said:

Nintendo Discovers the Cloud; Renames it the Bank.

Seriously though, that was a pretty great video (though the name-drop of an actress I've never heard of was a bit weird, but she's probably massive in Japan so it probably made sense). Having two starters is pretty cool, and I love how they are having them create a service for distributing Pokémon to not only the next generation. And if the annual fee is small, then it's probably worth it.

Also, going by their website, I wonder how the illegal Pokémon block will work; I hope it doesn't adversely affect any of my other Pokémon if one of the ones I traded for on the GTS happened to be an illegal one.

She's very well known in Japan as one of the regulars on the Pokemon Smash TV show and as a massive Super Sentai fan, trying out numerous times to become one of the Pink Rangers but only ever appearing in the odd cameo role.

#35 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

@joeyravn: Thanks for summing everything up. :)

#36 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

Wow, you can't change the originals. They turned Charizard into a spiky bitch.

#38 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

MegaCharizard has Drought? Something just got bumped back into the Overused tier.

#39 Posted by Bollard (5551 posts) -

@fattony12000: Holy shit that picture is amazing.

Additionally, you need to pay a fee to transfer pokemon from White and Black? Fuck you Nintendo, I've been transferring my pokemon since before Ruby and Sapphire. What the shit.

#40 Edited by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -
@chavtheworld said:

@fattony12000: Holy shit that picture is amazing.

Thank you! Here's another dope one with an accompanying dope tweet. FROM A VIDEO GAME MAN.

#41 Edited by super2j (1695 posts) -

I do not understand this mega stuff. What is the point? I get how you are gunna activate it but I dont understand how this is a feature or even worse, a feature everyone is getting hyped over. I'm in no way trying to make fun, and if this feature was added to every pokemon, then i can see the hype but it is just a handful of pokemon, right?

#42 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

@super2j said:

I do not understand this mega stuff. What is the point? I get how you are gunna activate it but I dont understand how this is a feature or even worse, a feature everyone is getting hyped over. I'm in no way trying to make fun, and if this feature was added to every pokemon, then i can see the hype but it is just a handful of pokemon, right?

Correct, but to be fair almost all the Pokemon confirmed to have Mega Evolutions are fan favorites. I don't do a lot of competitive battling so I don't really care about the stat increases, I just love what they've done with some of my favorite Pokemon. That's why I'm hyped for it.