#1 Posted by ELpork (236 posts) -

Shocked there wasn't a Mass Effect reference... I mean they pretty much stepped on it at one point...

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24833 posts) -

@elpork said:

Shocked there wasn't a Mass Effect reference... I mean they pretty much stepped on it at one point...

Why would they? Ash Williams is the name of Bruce Campbell's character from the Evil Dead series, which predates Mass Effect by decades. If anyone should be referencing anyone, Mass Effect should have thrown an Evil Dead joke into Ashley's dialogue.

#3 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@elpork said:

Why would they? Ash Williams is the name of Bruce Campbell's character from the Evil Dead series, which predates Mass Effect by decades. If anyone should be referencing anyone, Mass Effect should have thrown an Evil Dead joke into Ashley's dialogue.

Yep. Also what sort of callout would Ash make about Ashley in Mass Effect? Would he make a reference to space racism?

#4 Posted by ELpork (236 posts) -

I'm just sayin, Brock says he was expecting a girl, claptrap references stuff in the future. Thought it would have made sense is all.

PS: I picked Kadin... I'm not trying to stick up for Ash or anything lol.

#5 Posted by ahgunsillyo (450 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@elpork said:

There actually is an Evil Dead reference in the first Mass Effect. Apparently, Ashley (the Mass Effect character, not Bruce Campbell) mentions something about shooting things with her "boomstick" if you take her along on the Virmire mission.

#6 Posted by foodmonster (37 posts) -

@elpork: The whole bit where he talked about expecting a girl was a subtle mass effect call out. Same way as when the Ash Williams character said he wore a cowboy hat in the 90s and it didn't catch on is their call out to the Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It is way funnier when they leave it to innuendo.

#7 Posted by EXTomar (4738 posts) -

...what? I don't get what Mass Effect has to do with this game?

#8 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@elpork: The whole bit where he talked about expecting a girl was a subtle mass effect call out. Same way as when the Ash Williams character said he wore a cowboy hat in the 90s and it didn't catch on is their call out to the Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It is way funnier when they leave it to innuendo.

Are you sure it's not just a reference to the fact that Ashley is more commonly a girl's name? I think you guys are reading too much into that one.

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (6551 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@foodmonster said:

Are you sure it's not just a reference to the fact that Ashley is more commonly a girl's name? I think you guys are reading too much into that one.

Yeah. It's got nothing to do with Mass Effect.

#10 Posted by EveretteScott (1489 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@foodmonster said:

Yeah. It's got nothing to do with Mass Effect.

Dem kids.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I feel so old.

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

That's a pretty big stretch. Specially considering when you think of that name you think chain saw hand and deadites.

#13 Edited by DuffO (21 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy:

One-liners, too. Though that was most notable in Army of Darkness...