#1 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

I'm not even 100% sure just what exactly a "re-raise" is, but whenever I do such a thing players in this game get all snarky and surprised/offended. GLaDOS made mention that it's against "poker etiquette".

What gives? Can a more experienced poker player elucidate on the subject matter? Thanks!

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

A re-raise is any raise to occur after the first in a betting round.

Are you raising it by an amount equal to or greater than the previous raise? Like, if player X raises it $5, are you raising it another $5 or more?

#3 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Unsure. It's definitely not when I call - only when I raise the value of the bet by a second time in a round do they complain, and I wanna say that happens regardless of how much I raise the bet.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@snail said:

@starvinggamer: Unsure. It's definitely not when I call - only when I raise the value of the bet by a second time in a round do they complain, and I wanna say that happens regardless of how much I raise the bet.

It's probably just that they're all annoyed you won't call after already raising once.

#5 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

@hailinel: Don't know. Sam says something like "hey, I thought this was a friendly game of poker". There are a bunch of lines about how it's out of order or something. Seems odd that that would be the reason behind those reactions. But I don't know. Maybe it is!

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

@snail: I don't actually play so the only Poker knowledge I have comes from hardcore TV gambling and video games. It's probably exactly as they say, re-raising is frowned upon when you're just playing a friendly game. Does it happen if you re-raise on the river? Or just the flop and the turn?

#7 Edited by Hero_Swe (1130 posts) -

It means the players have to spend more of their money to even see if they have gotten a good hand. It's a valid tactic and you should just ignore the AI. Be aware though that doing so can also sucker more money out of yourself.

#8 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

They are mostly just pulling your leg, I think they are mostly talking about doing the minimum raise after someone has just minimum raised which is kinda frowned upon, a larger raise wouldn't raise any concern. I personally don't care about that kinda stuff except for when the person with the large blind does the minimum raise when a full table of players just called because then you have to go around the table again for nothing really but even that isn't a big deal.

#9 Posted by John1912 (1858 posts) -

@snail: re raising is a bully tactic. Its used to intimidate, so thats why you get comments like I thought this was a friendly game.

#10 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

Alright thanks guys! I'll have to check whether it's only the minimum raise or any raise that drives them mad, but I think I've got a good enough answer.