Hey guys, this is AdventFalls, and I wanted to try something a bit.... different.
Giant Bomb's been online for roughly three years, and one of its big features is its online database for all things video game related. As anyone who frequents this part of the forums knows, there's a quest system attached to the database- find certain pages based on hints, you complete quests and gain XP. Takus108 is developing a betting functionality where you can gamble your XP to bet on how highly a game might be rated ('I'm Calling It', look in General DIscussion for the relevant blog post), but other than that XP and levels mainly serve as a measure of prestige.
The quest system's been around long enough that new users might not get as much help as the 'old farts' who were around for some of these quests. This is also a bit more complicated by the fact that Community Quests often take up a large chunk of the community's focus, putting the spotlight on the new quests- I don't have a problem with this, I actually think it's a good community exercise. But it does leave older quests, well.... forgotten.
This is where I'd like to step in. This is BombQuest.
If people like this, BombQuest is going to consist of me going up to quest sets every once in a while and giving out hints, tips, and/or tricks to accomplishing the set. I'm not going to give out the answer wholesale,since that not only defeats the challenge, it's very much frowned upon.
I'm going to lay down a few rules I go any further, since I will drive myself insane if I don't at the start.
- BombQuest will not cover any quests currently undergoing a Community Spotlight. There are threads for Community Spotlights, and making a BombQuest dedicated to one of these sets would be redundant. Quest sets that were undergoing one at one point are fair game.
- No limited edition quests. Not only is it literally impossible to get these quests right now, but the community will band together to solve these quests on their own.
- No moderator quests. You have to be a moderator in order to even START working towards these. You are probably not a moderator.
- Quests involving editing the wiki are A-OK. This means I might (and likely will) end up covering quest sets like 'South Boston' and 'Catch and Release'.
- BombQuest will not cover any quests that its writer hasn't already beaten or at least is close to beating. How am I supposed to help you guys if I need help myself?
- Finally, unless specifically requested, BombQuest is going to focus on 'rare' (purple) quest sets. BombQuest does take requests!
With that in mind, let's get to the actual quest set for this inaugural (and hopefully not the last) edition of BombQuest!
Hearing VoicesThis is one or the more 'common' rare sets, with four of its five quests tagged 'uncommon' (blue), and only one rare quest. That's mostly because Hearing Voices was around near the start of the quest system's launch, so the entire community was collaborating on everything at that point. The set itself focuses on voice actors and their most famous roles.
Most of these quests actually aren't that hard to figure out on your own- as of this writing, the rare quest is 'Up and Atom'- which shocked me considering that it's not even the most difficult quest of the five! Still, that probably makes this set a good start for BombQuest, so here we go!
A Handful of GravelThe answers for this quest are a video game character and his/her voice actor. If you can figure one of them out, the other is extremely simple.
-Video Game Character (Two Hints)
-Voice Actor (Two Hints)
Charles in ChargeJust like the last quest, the answers are a video game character and his/her voice actor.
-Video Game Character (Only Hint)
Due NorthSimilar set-up to the previous quests, only with three characters and their voice actor.
-Voice Actor (Only Hint)
-Character #1 (Three Hints)
-Character #2 (Two Hints)
-Character #3 (Two Hints)
Up and AtomFind a video game, and then find the two high-profile people involved with that game.
-Video Game (Three Hints)
-Voice Actor #1 (Three Hints)
-Voice Actor #2 (Two hints)
By Her Powers CombinedYou only need to find one voice actor. But this one's not easy to find.
-Voice Actor (Four Hints)
And that's it for the first BombQuest! Were the hints too easy? Is this even a good idea? Want to see another quest set go down? Leave some feedback (please)!