• 149 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
#2 Edited by jakob187 (21788 posts) -

I've been at this for a few hours now, and there are just some that have too vague of "clues". 
 
For instance, I have probably been through 30+ different cliche monsters in RPGs, and I've only gotten three of them so far.  I've also been racking through all of the old school consoles, and only a handful have been worth anything in here.

#3 Posted by GoranP (1135 posts) -

Overall no, but I'm having the exact same issues as you.

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -

Hopefully none of these are spoilers or anything. 
 
I mean, I've looked up at least 6 consoles that didn't make a splash at all, and of the 6, only one was a correct portion.  I just can't wrap my mind around how CD-i is NOT a correct answer for that. 
 
I like the challenge, but when you are entering a ton of different possibly correct answers...and seemingly correct answers...and they aren't in fact correct, it gets discouraging when the clues aren't helping you much.

#5 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (476 posts) -

In some cases, absolutely, in other cases I find that you need to be in tune with a devloper's ego, past or future titles that are in development.
 
I find it more of a trivia challenge than anything else.

#6 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -

No, they should be vague, it seems like the type clues that at first you will have no idea what there talking about, but after a nights sleep, you solve the quest no problem.

#7 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

It's done that way on purpose. This ain't a one day thing. Besides, you might find some pages on your journey that need editing. 
 
Win/win?

#8 Posted by GoranP (1135 posts) -
@UnlivedPhalanx said:
" In some cases, absolutely, in other cases I find that you need to be in tune with a devloper's ego, past or future titles that are in development.  I find it more of a trivia challenge than anything else. "
Bolded for truth.
 
Still, that achievements like craze is burning in me.
#9 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh!

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
@Satune: I have a LOT of info stored in my noggin, and the fact that I could come up with 30 typical and cliched RPG monsters...that apparently aren't as cliched as I thought...just seems a bit ridiculous to me. 
 
I mean, how can you say "five cliched RPG monsters"...and when I throw out so many, none of them are correct?  I've been through all the basics of RPG monsters.  What else is there?
#11 Edited by Cloneslayer (1650 posts) -

I kinda agree. I think they should be vauge, but at the same time so things seem like they should work. 
 
For example  how is the Dreamcast of the Saturn not on the list of platforms the fizzled.  


#12 Posted by yakov456 (1936 posts) -

I'm glad they are kind of vague, however I do hope the site starts to run a bit smoother tommorow.

#13 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Clue writtn is a Art

#14 Edited by ZeroSkull (40 posts) -
@jakob187: 
having the same problem with the cliche rpg monsters, ive played alot of RPGs and have tried every monster i can think of, its frustrating as hell. Out of all of the things ive tried how have only 3 worked? I have the other 3 rpg quests dont except that one
#15 Posted by AndrewB (7692 posts) -
@jakob187: I know what you mean about that one. I tossed a good number of cliche monsters at it and have only come up with one correct one so far, and the correct one is not nearly as cliche as others I've tried.
#16 Posted by rjayb89 (7730 posts) -

The clues have led me to the page of the most important video game person ever!  They are most helpful indeed as I have seen the light!

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
@ZeroSkull: Well, I just found another one.  It would seem that the other three names that I had for that specific type of monster were not correct, but this specific name was...as it's a type of "monster" that is very specific and very notable to one specific RPG franchise... 
 
...and don't look to the West for the franchise either.
#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Hell yes. Even the Riddler is scratching his head, wondering, "What the fuck are they going for with this?"

#19 Posted by Happy (261 posts) -

Maybe I am just masochist or something, but I can usually tell how good a puzzle is by how much I want to punch someone in the mouth while I am trying to figure it out.

#20 Posted by nick_verissimo (1406 posts) -

I think some of the clues and answers are supposed to be obscure because these are things you'll have to work at over time.  Sure, some stuff will instantly click in, but overall these quests are making me discover more of the site that I would have never gone to otherwise.  There is some really good work being done by the community on Giant Bomb and through all the searching of these pages I'm really starting to appreciate and understand that now.

#21 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

I just don't get what it means by 'read the clue'. I do a quest, I know the very obvious answer, I go to the page and nothing.

#22 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -

Yeah I've only got three as well and I feel like I have searched everything!! Those two are what I need for the set!

#23 Posted by RobotHamster (4178 posts) -

Some of them seem to give no direction what so ever and its killing me.  

#24 Posted by rentfn (1290 posts) -

When will there be Bombhead.com or Quest Helper for Giant Bomb...Who likes putting effort towards things ;) I keed I keed

#25 Edited by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:

" The clues have led me to the page of the most important video game person ever!  They are most helpful indeed as I have seen the light! "

Is there a hint hidden somewhere in that post?  That's the last one I need for the Famous Friends set and I'm all out of ideas. 
 
EDIT:  A slow site isn't helping things either.
#26 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
@MKHavoc said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" The clues have led me to the page of the most important video game person ever!  They are most helpful indeed as I have seen the light! "
Is there a hint hidden somewhere in that post?  That's the last one I need for the Famous Friends quest and I'm all out of ideas. "
Yeah, I keep looking for one, but can't find anything. I feel like it's probably something one of the guys on staff mentioned as a joke at some point. But I don't remember.
#27 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -

Dude I can't believe spider didnt work!!

#28 Posted by Liminality (444 posts) -

I won't ask for more, it's awesome that they are not easy and it can't be perfect considering how many there are.

#29 Posted by DystopiaX (5365 posts) -

yeah, and some of the clues are wierd. For the troll one in RPG scavenger, the clue is fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' breakout song, which to my knowledge is "knock me down", so knockdowns seems the logical answer, but it doesn't work. Sometimes i get errors when trying to view the quest descriptions, and the site runs really slowly.

#30 Posted by h83r (470 posts) -
@Babble said:
" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "
Funnily enough, what I thought to be the most important guy in the video game industry turned out to be the guy who wears a hoodie and blazer together. 
 
Generally speaking though, I see these clues as the guys saying, "If you listen to the bombcast and know how we think, you should be able to get these".
#31 Posted by StarFoxA (5180 posts) -

One of the composers I have right, and one of his works right. But I can't find the other one for the life of me, even though I've tried everything listed both on his own official site and listed here on Giant Bomb (as well as things that I thought he might have collaborated on). Additionally, one of the voice actors I have gone through everything he has worked on and only found one thing.

#32 Edited by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
@h83r said:

" @Babble said:

" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "

Funnily enough, what I thought to be the most important guy in the video game industry turned out to be the guy who wears a hoodie and blazer together.  Generally speaking though, I see these clues as the guys saying, "If you listen to the bombcast and know how we think, you should be able to get these". "
As far as the "most important person in gaming ever" goes, I know that I was a little saddened to see that it wasn't the obvious answer to me.  I'd say whose name I inputted for my thought on the answer, but it may be a spoiler as to who it is NOT. 
 
At least it's not the second answer I put in.  If it had been him, I would've just killed myself. 
 
I did have a great laugh with the achievement picture for "Changing The Game", though.  Great one, Kat!
 
Also, try being hung up on having one little part left in the "Hearing Voices" set...and constantly yelling at the computer "BUT NARRATOR ISN'T A DAMN OPTION ON THE SITE!!!".
#33 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

Yah they can be a bit off sometimes. It doesn't help that the search bar fails sometimes.
 
For instance, try finding the Power Glove without googling it hahaha.

#34 Edited by ZeroSkull (40 posts) -

wow i got a fourth in the rpg one, i wouldnt even call that a monster or cliche, but i guess that is because i never played the franchise it is present in

#35 Posted by StarFoxA (5180 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:
" Yah they can be a bit off sometimes. It doesn't help that the search bar fails sometimes.  For instance, try finding the Power Glove without googling it hahaha. "
Go to the accessories section. You can't search for it, but it's up there under the "browse" tab.
#36 Edited by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

I don't like the Due North quest at all.  I'd say why, but I think it might be considered a spoiler.  I did eventually find them all though.

#37 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
@h83r said:
" @Babble said:
" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "
Funnily enough, what I thought to be the most important guy in the video game industry turned out to be the guy who wears a hoodie and blazer together.  Generally speaking though, I see these clues as the guys saying, "If you listen to the bombcast and know how we think, you should be able to get these". "
Heh, I assumed my listening to the Bombcast would help me, but no luck in this case!
#38 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
@MKHavoc said:
" I don't like the Due North quest at all.  I'd say why, but I think it might be considered a spoiler.  I did eventually find them all though. "
All of the stuff in the "Hearing Voices" set have been pretty easy for me...except for the third part of "Up and Atom!".  I just cannot for the life of me figure out what the fuck it would be!!! 
 
The Due North one was fine, though.
#39 Posted by h83r (470 posts) -
@Babble said:
" @h83r said:
" @Babble said:
" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "
Funnily enough, what I thought to be the most important guy in the video game industry turned out to be the guy who wears a hoodie and blazer together.  Generally speaking though, I see these clues as the guys saying, "If you listen to the bombcast and know how we think, you should be able to get these". "
Heh, I assumed my listening to the Bombcast would help me, but no luck in this case! "
On the contrary, the man with the blazer+hoodie has been mentioned numerous times on the podcast. Hint - What name gets ALL FOUR of them the most unusually excited? I don't know what the line is between hints and spoiler territory, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong. 
 
Jakob - Yeah. Like I said, the line between spoilers and hints is very blurry, but that's understandable, seeing as it is the the first day of this thing. I'm really interested in seeing how this site mechanic pans out. Seems like the guys put quite a bit of thought into this.
#40 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @Computerplayer1 said:
" Yah they can be a bit off sometimes. It doesn't help that the search bar fails sometimes.  For instance, try finding the Power Glove without googling it hahaha. "
Go to the accessories section. You can't search for it, but it's up there under the "browse" tab. "
I just searched through Google...for a LOT of the answers I was looking for.
#41 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
@h83r said:
" @Babble said:
" @h83r said:
" @Babble said:
" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "
Funnily enough, what I thought to be the most important guy in the video game industry turned out to be the guy who wears a hoodie and blazer together.  Generally speaking though, I see these clues as the guys saying, "If you listen to the bombcast and know how we think, you should be able to get these". "
Heh, I assumed my listening to the Bombcast would help me, but no luck in this case! "
On the contrary, the man with the blazer+hoodie has been mentioned numerous times on the podcast. Hint - What name gets ALL FOUR of them the most unusually excited? I don't know what the line is between hints and spoiler territory, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong.  Jakob - Yeah. Like I said, the line between spoilers and hints is very blurry, but that's understandable, seeing as it is the the first day of this thing. I'm really interested in seeing how this site mechanic pans out. Seems like the guys put quite a bit of thought into this. "
Thanks for the hint, I mostly meant that I probably don't pay enough attention to the Bomcast, I'm sure it can be very helpful.
#42 Posted by Impossibilium (687 posts) -
@ZeroSkull said:
" @jakob187:  having the same problem with the cliche rpg monsters, ive played alot of RPGs and have tried every monster i can think of, its frustrating as hell. Out of all of the things ive tried how have only 3 worked? I have the other 3 rpg quests dont except that one "
 
This one appears stupid. Unless I see the answers I won't be convinced they've picked real "cliches." When the list doesn't include "orcs" or "ogres" or even any type of undead it just seems wrong. And no the one beginning with K is not more of a cliche than any I've just mentioned.
#43 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Babble said:
" Ugh, I'm never gonna figure out who is the most important person in the video game industry is, or who wears a hoodie and a blazer together. Sigh! "

Don't worry. It isn't the answer (well it didn't work for me) but it should be.
#44 Edited by yates (384 posts) -

I'm wondering whether or not 'the most important person in the video game industry' will be a complete jokey answer. I've gone through all the obvious answers I can think of.

#45 Posted by Impossibilium (687 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" yeah, and some of the clues are wierd. For the troll one in RPG scavenger, the clue is fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' breakout song, which to my knowledge is "knock me down", so knockdowns seems the logical answer, but it doesn't work. Sometimes i get errors when trying to view the quest descriptions, and the site runs really slowly. "
 
I thought it was "Fight Like a Brave" which actually does make a tiny bit of sense but you won't get to the answer by using the GB search because it doesn't come up. Better to go through another page or use Google search to get to the GB page somehow.
#46 Edited by xyzygy (10093 posts) -

I dunno. I don't really find these questions to be fun to be honest... Scouring through a website like this isn't really my idea of fun. Alot of these questions just piss me off, really :P

#47 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -

Man this Monster Mash quest is driving me insane!! I still can't get past three..
@Impossibilium: I also can't believe they don't have orcs, ogres or undead either. Nor dark elves or knights.....

#48 Posted by Zanda (68 posts) -

I only need one more for that damn Monster Mash one then I'll have finished the set. Why am I even bothering?

#49 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Incredibly vague at times.

#50 Posted by monkyofdoom (97 posts) -

Does anyone know if the "Battle Royale" quest is bugged? I literally clicked EVERY SINGLE PLATFORM and still am still missing one.