• 0 results
#1 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

...please can we just have scavanger hunt ones and not one's that turn people into demented, first post!, spamming morons. They just don't help anyone, let alone the integrity of Giantbomb!  

People should want to comment on items, make lists, answer trivia etc. at their own leisure and because they want to not because they have small genetalia and gaining "XP" makes it somehow grow bigger...

QUESTS SHOULD BE FUN!! Please sort this Giantbomb! 

I'm also well aware that I have persoanlly completed such quests and for this I'm deeply ashamed and am currently seeking counselling... :)

#2 Posted by CitizenKane (10504 posts) -

If you have a problem with people Quest spamming, notify myself or any of the other moderators.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

Why do you think they set these quests? It's to introduce members to areas/features of the site they might not know about and rewarding them for trying it. Sure, you can believe that they created the quest system so the users can have 'fun', but it serves a much more important role in the site, namely a point of control where they can send users to a feature or area at will which generates interest in whatever they choose.

#4 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" Why do you think they set these quests? It's to introduce members to areas/features of the site they might not know about and rewarding them for trying it. Sure, you can believe that they created the quest system so the users can have 'fun', but it serves a much more important role in the site, namely a point of control where they can send users to a feature or area at will which generates interest in whatever they choose. "
I see your point, however it has clearly been proven that people are in fact exploiting these features and not using them for what they are intended for. People don't need to 'update your status for 30 days', 'watch x amount of videos', 'create x amount of blogs', 'answer/create  x amount of trivia queations' to realise those features exist. People really aren't morons and a simple video, hosted by the staff team would be able to highlight these features in a much more insightful and interesting way in the only way the Giantbomb staff know...FUNNY!!
#5 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
@Simondorondo said:
People really aren't morons"

You sure about that? :D
#6 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I think their fun, am I a bad person?

#7 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -
@Simondorondo said:
"I see your point, however it has clearly been proven that people are in fact exploiting these features and not using them for what they are intended for. People don't need to 'update your status for 30 days', 'watch x amount of videos', 'create x amount of blogs', 'answer/create  x amount of trivia queations' to realise those features exist. People really aren't morons and a simple video, hosted by the staff team would be able to highlight these features in a much more insightful and interesting way in the only way the Giantbomb staff know...FUNNY!! "
What better way to enforce behaviour then through repetition? But to get a precise answer you'd have to ask Dave and such, I can't tell you their reasoning behind specific quests. I think they realise the potential effectiveness of suggesting that users do something over and over again.
#8 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @Simondorondo said:
People really aren't morons"
You sure about that? :D "
Haha, yeah true. I think a video or set of videos would sort this all out though adn they could pin it to the front page so new users can watch 'an idiot's (moron's) guide to Giantbomb. 

Also just read another discussion on here where someone raised a good point that quests aren't really quests when you have to rely on people completing them for you. eg. get someone to follwo you or read soemthing you write
#9 Posted by Izick (141 posts) -

I agree, 1st posting shit is stupid, just stick to scavenger hunt!

#10 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I think the quest system is a good idea, but it's a waste sending best buy adverts all around the world. GB should get regional advertising, because it's completely redundant sending users Best Buy adverts when we don't have Best Buy. I guess if they are going to deploy quests like this they have to but it's still pointless for me.

#11 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

I love the quest system and I'm sure it's going to get better over time.

I know this train of thought is in the vast minority, but stuff like the first post quests really don't bother me. Reading the comments on videos isn't the kind of content I'm coming to Giant Bomb for. It really doesn't ruin my day if I happen to see the word "first!" underneath a video.

/shrug

#12 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

yeah I never understood why people got so pissed off at "first". At the escapist they ban people for it. Then again, they are the escapist. Can't really be suprised.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

you dont have to if you dont want to. calm down.

#14 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -
@Fjordson said:
" I love the quest system and I'm sure it's going to get better over time. "

yeah I love it too but I think it should be solely for 'scavenger hunt' type quests and for Giantbomb to find other ways of pointing users towards the site's main features. 

Who's with me in thinking that a Vinny and Brad S 'welcome to Giantbomb' video would be awesome???
#15 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

Where are the guide quests?!

#16 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" Where are the guide quests?! "
What's a guide quest??
#17 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
@Simondorondo said:
" @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" Where are the guide quests?! "
What's a guide quest?? "
A quest that deals with the guide feature.
#18 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

Oh I see. I don't know where they are.

#19 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

I think his point is that he wants a guide quest.
#20 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
@Simondorondo said:

" Oh I see. I don't know where they are. "

Guides? Or the Guide quests? Because guide quests don't exist yet. 
#21 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

I was referring to the guide quests. Are they needed? This is sort of thing I was saying, I don't think is necessary.

#22 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

So...the overall gist of this topic is, we need a quest about guides correct?

#23 Posted by Prolix (188 posts) -

I agree with OP.  Remove the quests that encourage spamming.  I know the mods are aware of them.  So I'm joining the growing group of people against it.

Even if it is pointless because the mods like the hits and want to encourage impulsive, fade based, site usage, in hopes of making a profit.  Its getting more and more clear, that Giant Bomb is swiftly becoming all about the pay off.  

If you don't like it, than you better head off now.  Everyday this site's forums get worse and worse.  

That said, I should probably at least offer some sort of idea to help.  So i propose chat rooms.  They want to be impulsive, so let them.  But do it away from the forums.  Which are being used as comment sections and chat rooms, already.  Help people understand the difference between them.

Embrace the community.  Don't force them to interact, passively.  If they don't want to and do it just for the pay off.  Than it will be half-assed and poor minded.  Only making the Database's integrity meaningless to people with enough thought to understand why.  It's not about elitism, it's about getting the right attention for the right areas and not only attracting negative attention to all areas. 

Encourage us to do it for the right reasons.  Not everyone wants to contribute the way you might want to. 

#24 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

no

#25 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Quit your bitching...just don't do them

#26 Edited by natetodamax (19171 posts) -

I fail to see how penis size and the completion of Giant Bomb quests are related.

#27 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -
I never really took interest in the quests, but I do like getting them out of nowhere :)
#28 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
@Simondorondo said:
" I was referring to the guide quests. Are they needed? This is sort of thing I was saying, I don't think is necessary. "
Are any of the quests needed? Some of them give you something to work towards, like the wiki quests, and like the guide quests would be. Scavenger quests are usually just, "Who can load up GB at the right time to see that there is a new quest set out, and quickly navigate the site to find the answers. Or google the answers, or ask your friends who might also be on the site for answers. 

Eventually that gets old, and we need some other stuff to break it up. Something that works well getting over time. The problem is, that people like to be whores, and so some of the stuff get's cheesed. 

We could get some more nice guides out of it. The most popular guides right now, are still some of the oldest guides, because nobody is making new ones, or is motivated to. 

Plus, if a larger segment of the community used the guides, they might see how utterly glitchy they can be, and we can get a bit of a revamp.
#29 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

Quests aren't required. If you don't like them, don't do them.

By the way, which quest is the one promoting spamming?

#30 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
@RecSpec: Lend Me Your Ears quest set, First! quest in the AV Club set.
#31 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Simondorondo: Giant Bomb already lost a lot of interigrity when they started the quest system.

Well, the forum part of the site at least.
#32 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I understand where you're coming from. I like reading the comments after a post. Get everyones point of view. But, when I see those posts where it says "first" then it kind of irritates me. Just like those people on this topic who keeps saying "if you don't like them then don't do them". Apparently they're not getting what we're saying. It's not that we don't want to do them, it's that we're tired of the spammers. Here we have the mods trying to get rid of spammers, yet it looks like the staff promotes it. Then we have the people that already completed the quest still being the first to post on the news articles. Can you guess what they say? "First". It's irritating. 

As far as the other quests go, they're fine. I believe the way Giant Bomb set up these quests, you're supposed to earn them over time. Forum posts, blogs, etc. The twitter posts, I'll just leave it at that. I don't go onto other people's pages enough to worry about their twitter. Though, the other quest I think they should get rid of is the mod quests. Basically becoming a mod and stuff. A lot of us have no way of becoming a mod. I know I don't.

#33 Posted by AZChristopher (93 posts) -

"First" isn't unique to Giantbomb.com. People will say that whether there is a quest tied to it or not. 

Personally I like that there are quests that encourage people to participate on the site. For instance, the trivia one was a great way to get a lot of people to post questions that are now in the database. 

Besides, as of right now your level means absolutely nothing. So don't do the quests if you don't like them. And relax a little bit about other people enjoying themselves.

#34 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

Look ok, I'm not trying to criticise everyone on this site ie. the people who do quests. All I'm saying is that there are too many quests that are open to abuse my a minority of people plus I don't think these people are enjoying themselves especially the people who do quests properly. Giantbomb needs to go back to being a gaming website that isn't full of spam on the forums/blogs and has properly made trivia questions/guides or whatever. People following you just to complete a quest is ridiculous!  And as I've mentioned many times throughout this post there are more insightful and better managed ways of helping new users discover Giantbomb that doesn't produce crap on the website. This will in turn make this website regain it's integrity and reliability of data plus be a fun website for a user to visit.

#35 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

The blog post quest was a bit unfortunate in that it's lead to the spamming but overall I've enjoyed the quests.

#36 Edited by RecSpec (3764 posts) -
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:

" @RecSpec: Lend Me Your Ears quest set, First! quest in the AV Club set. "

Well, seeing as I completed it about 3 weeks ago, and at the time only 134 people had finished it. I don't think it's causing that much spam.

As far as the "First!" quest is concerned, there was a quote from Dave about this, I need to find it. 
And here it is.

@snide

said:

" We have no intention of removing the current secret quest in the set for the simple reason that we can not change the Internet. That ridiculousness already existed long before quests started. If you see no humor in rewarding it you are likely on the wrong web site. At least we're forcing some manner of guilt on those users (hell, people are editing their posts so they aren't so embarrassed!). "

#37 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Simondorondo: your kind of late to the party dude
#38 Edited by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Dude, who cares? I am constantly seeing people complain about these "spam" quests and honestly, I couldn't care less. Does the occasional "I'm posting this for a quest" thread really bother you that much? It's stays open for a couple minutes and then gets locked and then is forgotten. If it doesn't get locked, it gets pushed off the front page after a few minutes of no one responding. As for the "First" quest, once again, who the hell cares? The first few comments of an article or video are going to be something "Cool!" with a couple other people after that saying "Damn!". And then it's over. Does looking at those first few comments really make you rage that much? I don't understand why people take such issue with it. Just ignore it and move on.

#39 Posted by Simondorondo (42 posts) -

@Milkman Dude...I'm not 'raging', I'm just making a suggestion that would hopefully improve the content of the website.

#40 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
@RecSpec: Yeah, but if you look at the first page of comments on any video, it's usually someone trying to say First, or something about first, and then others QQ'ing because they weren't fast enough, then others telling the QQ'ers and the guy who did get First to shutup.

Honestly though, this was happening before the quest, it just seems more prevalent now. 

Giantbomb comment sections, and most of the forums, seem to be filled with mostly these people, who comment before they see results. Not all, just a large segment of the, "community."
#41 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -
@Simondorondo:
The impression that you're giving off is raging, then. The phrasing you use doesn't make it seem like constructive criticism, it just makes you sound like you're mad at all the people that say first. Now that may not be the case, but all we have to go on is the words you use.  

As for this issue, I'm with Milkman. You see stuff like "First" everywhere, I've just learned to not care about it. As for quest spam, it doesn't really bother me.
#42 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT GUIDE QUESTS UP IN HERE?

#43 Posted by ZForce915 (47 posts) -

I don't mind the ridiculousness of some of these quests

#44 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

....where is this week's quest?

#45 Posted by Sparklykiss (1949 posts) -
  @scarace360 said: 
" you dont have to if you dont want to. calm down. "     

^This. 

@Lies said:
" ARE WE TALKING ABOUT GUIDE QUESTS UP IN HERE? "
I wish. T.T 

And I really like the posting, sub check, blogging, and commenting quests and the like. I used to only lurk the forums and update wiki pages. I think it helps to encourage people like me to get involved more. :D
#46 Posted by sjolle (165 posts) -

FIRST !!!!

oh wait ... no

#47 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

I stopped doing quests after the weekend they came out. The wiki- trivia quest were cool, but everything else that was spammable was not. Which is what seems to be lost in this thread. People reference all the cool wiki- trivia quests, but forget that there are 35,000 + users. If those 35,000 + are all making 10 off topic posts, or making blogs and for some reason feel they need to attach it to the forum(that irks me to no end). The forums become filled with fluff and uselessness as people strive to attain a meaningless number.  

Sure, it has brought for benefits like wiki-edits or adding more trivia into the database. But in the end, it made the forums a very sour experience because of dealing with people with no restraint . This is nothing new as these grievances were aired by many back when it first came out.

#48 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" I stopped doing quests after the weekend they came out. The wiki- trivia quest were cool, but everything else that was spammable was not. Which is what seems to be lost in this thread. People reference all the cool wiki- trivia quests, but forget that there are 35,000 + users. If those 35,000 + are all making 10 off topic posts, or making blogs and for some reason feel they need to attach it to the forum(that irks me to no end). The forums become filled with fluff and uselessness as people strive to attain a meaningless number.     Sure, it has brought for benefits like wiki-edits or adding more trivia into the database. But in the end, it made the forums a very sour experience because of dealing with people with no restraint . This is nothing new as these grievances were aired by many back when it first came out. "
As long as the moderation team stays on top of the spam , which they do, it's not a problem. And by having that quest, real users might be encouraged to contribute in significant ways where before they might not have. That's how I think ALL the quests should be, I don't see much value in constant scavenger hunt quests, though I'm sure they've done their part in generating clicks for Whiskey Media.

Ideally, quests should be used to leverage the user base into contributing and helping build a great community, serving as badges of honor for those who already do that, and serving as an incentive for people who absatin from the community to maybe get involved.

That's not really how they're being used, but that would be how I would do it.
#49 Posted by Emiel (607 posts) -

Insanethishateforquests

#50 Posted by Spencer (252 posts) -

This is probably the worst quest since the one that involved "First!"  Come on, guys.  Scavenger hunts are fun.  Stuff that encourages spam isn't.