#1 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

Didn't know where else to ask, and I didn't see this in the site FAQ.

I want to know how are points distributed. For instance what actions are worth the most points? I have 33 points for 60-fps-on-consoles but what decided that I get that amount? I'm guessing every game I added is worth 1 point, but don't tell me ALL edits are worth 1 measly point each? Some are worth more right?

also it says I have to get 1000 points to get free edting privileges, but what does it mean by 1000 points? Does it simply mean that my contibrution points across all game pages have to total 1000 or more? That sounds like a doozy. Well my page says I have 43 points... is that the number I need to make higher than 1000? Just checking.

lastly is there are way to lose points? (e.g. if your edits get rejected?)

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I dont think you can lose points, but yes it is 1000 over all the pages you edit. although i thought it was 5000.

But honestly you shouldnt be editing to get the most points, because that just makes bad pages.

#3 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

But honestly you shouldnt be editing to get the most points, because that just makes bad pages.

I'm not going to randomly edit everything (not to mention that would increase chances of my edits being rejected) but this all the more reason I'd like to know how points are calculated.

For instance I was wondering if maybe user reviews give you a lot of points, in which case I'd write a bunch of reviews.

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -

The number of points you get is typically based on the amount of content that you add. Several paragraphs will give you more points than a single sentence, for example. I believe adding an image gets you 25 points as well. User reviews aren't worth any points because those aren't wiki edits. Only edits to the wiki (including adding images) will get you points.

The total number of wiki points you have across the entire site is located in your profile. That is the number you need to get over 1000 to be able to freely edit. You don't need over 1000 on every page that you touch, so don't worry about that. (Also, 5000 points is the amount you need to be able to freely add pages to the site).

As far as I know, there isn't a way to lose points, although I do think moderators can subtract points from you if you break a wiki rule like plagiarize.

#5 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

@Voxel said:

The number of points you get is typically based on the amount of content that you add. Several paragraphs will give you more points than a single sentence, for example. I believe adding an image gets you 25 points as well. User reviews aren't worth any points because those aren't wiki edits. Only edits to the wiki (including adding images) will get you points. The total number of wiki points you have across the entire site is located in your profile. That is the number you need to get over 1000 to be able to freely edit. You don't need over 1000 on every page that you touch, so don't worry about that. (Also, 5000 points is the amount you need to be able to freely add pages to the site). As far as I know, there isn't a way to lose points, although I do think moderators can subtract points from you if you break a wiki rule like plagiarize.

Thanks. So it sounds like adding images to a page is a good way of earning points. Is there any rule on what images you can't add? (pics with IGN watermarks, etc?) Seems like fanart is ok.

also just to double check, I'm guessing mods don't decide how much points you earn, otherwise you'd stop earning points once you gain edit privileges.

#6 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

@egg said:

@Voxel said:

The number of points you get is typically based on the amount of content that you add. Several paragraphs will give you more points than a single sentence, for example. I believe adding an image gets you 25 points as well. User reviews aren't worth any points because those aren't wiki edits. Only edits to the wiki (including adding images) will get you points. The total number of wiki points you have across the entire site is located in your profile. That is the number you need to get over 1000 to be able to freely edit. You don't need over 1000 on every page that you touch, so don't worry about that. (Also, 5000 points is the amount you need to be able to freely add pages to the site). As far as I know, there isn't a way to lose points, although I do think moderators can subtract points from you if you break a wiki rule like plagiarize.

Thanks. So it sounds like adding images to a page is a good way of earning points. Is there any rule on what images you can't add? (pics with IGN watermarks, etc?) Seems like fanart is ok.

also just to double check, I'm guessing mods don't decide how much points you earn, otherwise you'd stop earning points once you gain edit privileges.

Adding images in text is. Adding images to a gallery is like 3 points per image (it depends if its a new image or an image loaded to more than one gallery I think...). The best way to get points is to find an nearly empty page and add text, pictures in the text and links to other pages. You'll get a few hundred points quickly.

#7 Posted by Tearhead (2155 posts) -
@egg No pictures with watermarks if any kind. If you really want to jack up your points, text is the best way. Find a game or concept you know a lot about that other's don't (mine was Shrek Super Party). Another thing I did was to think up great concepts that weren't on the site that tons of games have (i created the Fire, water, earth and air manipulation pages). Just make sure they're good quality.
#8 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -
@egg As Tearhead said, don't add images that have a watermark of any kind. Fanart should really be kept to the Images section of a wiki and kept out of the body/text, since actual images are always more helpful.

When adding images to a wiki page, you should make sure that they actually add to it in some way. By that, I mean don't go to every page and add a hundred images to the text that don't serve any purpose other than to rack up points quickly.
#9 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

@egg said:

Seems like fanart is ok.

I've never seen a wiki with fanart, pretty weird if its allowed.

If you want to be a "top editor", try focusing on making one page really good instead of spreading your time over smaller, less meaningful edits. Also, adding images isn't the best way to earn points. The secret is to use all of the features and link similar games, concepts and characters under Related Pages and General Info sidebars as well as linking within the actual wiki article itself.

Again, adding images will only get you so many points, turn a blank page into a nice long, informative wiki and you can get 1000+ points on a single game.

#10 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

@egg said:

Seems like fanart is ok.

I saw character pages on this site with fanart. That said I'd be surprised if fanart is allowed on game pages.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@egg said:

@George_Hukas said:

@egg said:

Seems like fanart is ok.

I saw character pages on this site with fanart. That said I'd be surprised if fanart is allowed on game pages.

I believe it is. There was a debate about this, I believe, a while ago.

#12 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

@Tearhead said:

Another thing I did was to think up great concepts that weren't on the site that tons of games have (i created the Fire, water, earth and air manipulation pages).

now that's just playing dirty. xD

but you meniotning this made me think of a great idea for a concept. So great in fact, I'm guessing the site already has it, but I'll check.

edit: The site doesn't have it, so I went ahead and submitted it. Here's hoping!

#13 Edited by Tearhead (2155 posts) -

@egg said:

@Tearhead said:

Another thing I did was to think up great concepts that weren't on the site that tons of games have (i created the Fire, water, earth and air manipulation pages).

now that's just playing dirty. xD

but you meniotning this made me think of a great idea for a concept. So great in fact, I'm guessing the site already has it, but I'll check.

edit: The site doesn't have it, so I went ahead and submitted it. Here's hoping!

As long as the concept is widely used and a major part of tons of games, it's not dirty at all. I have created some less than reputable game/franchise pages just for the sake of points though (I'm looking at you, Hannah Montana). I assume it's a lot harder to create good pages now, though, since I created most of those pages when the site launched.

I've also found that hyperlinking to other pages within text can give you a good set of points.

#14 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

Also, big blobs of text don't always get many points, but it seems like when I submitted them with lots of formatting, headings, inline pictures, tables, links, etc, I got tons of points.

I did notice that when I tried to submit things from multiple parts in one shot, I'd get far fewer points. Like, a few paragraphs, but also adding an associated character in one edit only got me about 1 point.

I'd say focus on creating large influxes of content if you don't want the mods to hate you for submitting 2,000 things at once. :)

Oh -- important thing, that "Major fan" quest or whatever it was that asks for you to get 1000 points on one page, that's cumulative. I thought it was in one shot and vastly overshot that to make sure I didn't end up just below the cutoff. But no, it doesn't have to all be in one submission.

#15 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

If I edit someone else's page do I get fewer points? If someone added 6 paragraphs to a page and later I replace/rewrite 3 of them, will I get the full amount of points (i.e. as through I added 3 paragraphs to a blank page) or will I get only 1 point since the article is more or less the same length it was before.

I hope it's not too hard to become top editor for an existing page.

@George_Hukas said:

@egg said:

Seems like fanart is ok.

If you want to be a "top editor", try focusing on making one page really good instead of spreading your time over smaller, less meaningful edits. Also, adding images isn't the best way to earn points. The secret is to use all of the features and link similar games, concepts and characters under Related Pages and General Info sidebars as well as linking within the actual wiki article itself.

Again, adding images will only get you so many points, turn a blank page into a nice long, informative wiki and you can get 1000+ points on a single game.

Is there an shortcut to linking to related games on giantbomb or do I have to find the url for each game manually?

Interesting though if doing this gets more points.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -
@egg Highlight the text you want to link and hit the link button in the editor's toolbar. A search box should come up where you can just search for the page on the site that you want to link to.

I'm not sure how the scenario you described would play out as far as points go.
#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6186 posts) -

If you really care about points, do not re-write pages. I have re-written a couple of pages due to poor spelling and grammar, and only gotten a single point, it's kinda dumb really, especially when the dude who laid the shit-egg in the first place got like a couple hundred.

But realistically, just fill in blank pages with info, and word it in your own manner if you get it from somewhere else e.g. in-game, manual etc.

#18 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Knowledge points lead to popularity points.

#19 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

Knowledge points lead to popularity points.

Popularity leads to intimacy.

#20 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

If you really care about points, do not re-write pages. I have re-written a couple of pages due to poor spelling and grammar, and only gotten a single point, it's kinda dumb really, especially when the dude who laid the shit-egg in the first place got like a couple hundred.

But realistically, just fill in blank pages with info, and word it in your own manner if you get it from somewhere else e.g. in-game, manual etc.

aww that sucks for me, as my aim was to become a top editor for certain pages- - pages which have already been contributed to.

The main reason I wanted 1000 points is so I can use the edit privileges I'd gain to become top editor more easily.

But, by the looks of things, this means that getting 1000 points is even more of a necessity than I had previously thought.

#21 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

There is no way to lose points unless you get banned from the wiki for plagiarism and/or vandalism....when that happens the staff can reset your points to zero, but the majority of banned users don't get there points reset.....Ignor, who has been banned for awhile, still hasn't gotten his points reset.

#22 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

my pitch for a new concept page was submitted 24 hours ago but still pending. :o

All my wiki edits since then have either been rejected or approved. I guess it takes longer to have new pages added, or maybe only certain mods can approve those.